Author Topic: "Classic" album appreciation thread - the '80s  (Read 40526 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: "Classic" album appreciation thread - the '80s
« Reply #420 on: August 06, 2019, 09:21:37 AM »
Rust In Peace was released in late 1990!!!

I’d take this over Filter that’s for sure.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #421 on: August 06, 2019, 09:26:00 AM »
Definitely a Top 5 all-time metal record. Flawless. Greatest collection of guitar-solo duels also.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #422 on: August 06, 2019, 09:37:27 AM »
Rust In Peace was released in late 1990!!!

Was it really???  My bad!  I thought it was '89.  Oops.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #423 on: August 06, 2019, 09:38:12 AM »
I'm not a super Megadeth fan but I'll generally take them over Metallica any day. Early Megadeth is amazing and Rust In Peace rules.

Going back to Scorpions for a minute, I only know the hits (there's a bunch) and a couple songs sent to me in my last roulette. Well, one of my dad's friends who is a total rock geek came by this morning and dropped off Box of Scorpions for me to check out. I don't know most of these songs, but I've found tonight's evening activity! I'm excited to jump into this and hopefully find some gems I never knew Scorpions had.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #424 on: August 06, 2019, 09:40:41 AM »
We’ll Burn The Sky :metal :metal :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #425 on: August 06, 2019, 09:55:50 AM »
I love disk 2 of that set.  Disks 1 and 3 have some good songs that would definitely make me spin them.  But disk 2 is where it's at for me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #426 on: August 06, 2019, 10:06:45 AM »
I didn't get in to thrash at all when it rose to prominence.  Years later I decided to check out some of the big names, and enjoyed it for a very brief period, then moved on. This is the one album in the genre I bought and still own (and enjoy) to this day.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #427 on: August 06, 2019, 10:15:04 AM »
I love disk 2 of that set.  Disks 1 and 3 have some good songs that would definitely make me spin them.  But disk 2 is where it's at for me.

That's pretty spot on (though "In Trance", "We'll Burn The Sky" and "Loving You Sunday Morning").   I still listen to the "Taken By Force" - "Love At First Sting" run far more often than I should (and far more often than any 80's band except Kiss and maybe Maiden). 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #428 on: August 06, 2019, 10:34:17 AM »
I only have the Countdown to Extinction album by megadeth and I do enjoy it, but never really explored much more besides a handful of songs including some on Rust in Peace which I do enjoy. 

I actually saw Megadeth open for the Scorpions a few years ago at Madison Square Garden, awesome concert my first and only time seeing either of those bands.  I was planning on exploring Megadeth a bit more when they were announced as the opener for Ozzy's tour but that show got postponed until next year so I never took the time to revisit Megadeth. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #429 on: August 06, 2019, 10:55:53 AM »
Here's my very rough assessment of Megadeth's history:

Pre-Rust In Peace:  Some good stuff here and there, but the sound is so primitive and the quality is very inconsistent.  I don't know if that is a factor of Mustaine not yet really coming of age as a songwriter yet or him being so smacked out of his mind on the substance du jour that he was just all over the place.  On the former point, he was an amazing player and wrote some incredible riffs and solos, as evidence by both his work in Metallica and the early Megadeth albums; but in terms of writing complete songs...I dunno.  He just wasn't there yet for my tastes.  And the production on those early albums takes away as well.

The untouchable golden age:  Rust In Peace, Countdown To Extinction, Youthanasia, Hidden Treasures EP.  There is a progression toward being more accessible, but it worked.  These albums really are fantastic.

The "identity crisis":  It seems odd to lump Cryptic Writings, Risk, and The World Needs a Hero into one "era" of the band, given the changes in sound and lineups through that time period.  But if there is a common thread, it is that Megadeth was all over the place.  Cryptic has some really good songs and some songs that just went WAY too far in trying to make the band accessible to the masses and watered down what this band is.  Risk is by far the most experimental thing they have done.  And despite being panned by the fans, it is my favorite album outside of the golden era albums.  The only song I don't like is Crush 'Em, but I get what Dave was going for.  TWNAH is...odd.  It was an attempt to return to form, but is still kind of all over the place.  But to me, it is worth having for the title song and the last half of the album and for the absolute drum clinic put on by Jimmy DeGrasso on this one. 

The latter years:  Other than United Abominations, all their later albums have been pretty good, but have also been pretty samey.  For each album, there are a few songs I really like, and a bunch that are forgettable standard fare.  I enjoy them on the rare occasions that I pull them off the shelf.  But I don't really desire to very often at all.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: August 06, 2019, 11:05:00 AM »
I recognize Rust in Peace's brilliance and Holy Wars, Tornado of Souls and Hangar 18 are songs that any metalhead should cherish to hear live upon occasion.

Agreed on those songs. This is one of very few albums that I consider a classic even though I think it's half filler - because the great songs nailed it.   Marty's solo in Tornado ...was replayed many times during the year or two following its release.   Prior to RIP I was no great Megadeth fan but the brilliance of the guitar playing converted me and then I began to explore their catalogue in more detail.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #431 on: August 06, 2019, 11:13:02 AM »
Up until a few years ago we had a coworker who's a big Megadeth fan. We'd play tons of Megadeth. Cryptic Writings was one we played often, but we played Countdown, Rust, Peace Sells, and, thankfully (for me), Dystopia all the freaking time. We never even bothered to mention Risk, Endgame, 13 etc. lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #432 on: August 06, 2019, 01:29:13 PM »
Endgame is amazing, K-Lox.

My personal favorite is So Far So Good So What.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #433 on: August 06, 2019, 01:56:14 PM »
Endgame is amazing, K-Lox.

At first I was like  :|
But then I  :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #434 on: August 06, 2019, 01:58:14 PM »
 :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: August 06, 2019, 02:12:10 PM »
Rust in Peace is hit and miss for me, like much of Megadeth, but Holy Wars... The Punishment Due is worth the price of admission alone. For me, it is in the upper echelon for all time metal songs. The unbridled aggression is gorgeous and those solos...  :omg:  Dave's vocal performance fits the song perfectly. He sounds like he's barely got a his anger under control until he finally just explodes at the end.

I know what I said, now I must scream of the overdose
And the lack of mercy killings
Mercy killings
Mercy killings
Killings, killings, killings, killings
Mercy you know, they'll take my thoughts away

Frank Castle would be pround.  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #436 on: August 06, 2019, 02:16:21 PM »
Megadeth - Rust in Peace

Songs:
-Holy Wars... The Punishment Due
-Hangar 18
-Take No Prisoners
-Five Magics
-Poison Was the Cure
-Lucretia
-Tornado of Souls
-Dawn Patrol
-Rust in Peace... Polaris

As with the two previous Megadeth albums, I tried this one out when it was released.  And I didn't like it.  It wasn't until Countdown that this band finally clicked for me.  But then I went back and explored the back catalog.  And while the earlier albums to this day do nothing for me, I could finally see this album as the landmark that it is.

The music was as aggressive as ever.  But suddenly, it was also accessible.  Suddenly, Mustaine managed to put together songs that could appeal to people outside of just the thrash scene. 

Every player shines on this album.  Mustaine's riffs and the solos he takes are some of the best thrash--or any subgenre of metal, for that matter--has to offer.  Friedman's solos are blistering, yet have an uncanny sense of melody that makes them memorable and not simply a flurry of notes played at breakneck speed.  Ellefson's bass lines aren't flashy or fancy, but they hold everything together and give the songs a groove and pulse that almost-subliminally makes them more rhythmic and appealing.  And Menza's drumming drives the songs and gives them a flair and aggression that fits beautifully with the aggressive guitar riffing. 

Honestly, writing about this album is pretty boring because I don't really have anything critical to say.  Every song is awesome, and there is little to criticize.  I only wish that I had actually gotten into this album in the '80s when it was released instead of finding it several years later.
I only own The System Has Failed, because one of my heroes plays on it, call me superficial. (although I listened to Rust and Youthanasia once and only once) Btw, bosk, Rust was released in 1990, 8 days after I was born. (so it's not strictly an 80s album I think, although it's likely justified to call it a classic album)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 02:29:30 PM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #437 on: August 06, 2019, 02:26:16 PM »

Who is Frank Castle?  :lol

Seriously. I don't know who that is.

Mercy killings
Mercy killings

:metal :metal

I only own The System Has Failed, because one of my heroes plays on it,

Who?

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #438 on: August 06, 2019, 02:28:41 PM »

Mercy killings
Mercy killings

:metal :metal

I only own The System Has Failed, because one of my heroes plays on it,

Who?
Vinnie Colaiuta (and btw: this is how I always pick albums to check out)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #439 on: August 06, 2019, 02:30:46 PM »
TSHF is pretty good. That didn't inspire you to get more into Megadeth?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: August 06, 2019, 02:30:55 PM »

"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #441 on: August 06, 2019, 02:31:49 PM »
Does. Not. Help.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #442 on: August 06, 2019, 02:33:49 PM »
Does. Not. Help.
Hand. Cannot. Erase. This. Weapon.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: August 06, 2019, 03:01:12 PM »
Does. Not. Help.

I'll give you a hint, the title of the song is Holy Wars... The Punishment Due

Offline max_security

« Reply #444 on: August 06, 2019, 03:02:04 PM »
I have come to like Rust In Peace but I didn't at the time. I was a fan of Marty Friedman since the early 80's and Megadeth was far from the music he was previously making with his solo stuff and with Jason Becker.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #445 on: August 06, 2019, 03:07:53 PM »
Does. Not. Help.

You can hit him on the head with a comic book like a dog and he still won't get it Gregg. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #446 on: August 06, 2019, 03:08:09 PM »
Does. Not. Help.

You're only punishing yourself, Gregg.  You know how much of a cultural luddite Tim is.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: August 06, 2019, 03:09:47 PM »
 :lol

I'm trying here, Chad. I'm really trying.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #448 on: August 06, 2019, 03:58:23 PM »

I guess the difference between TAC and me is that I googled it, but had I not done so, the picture wouldn't have helped me either.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #449 on: August 06, 2019, 04:05:13 PM »
I figured someone would be nice enough to just tell me. So no, I didn't google it.

I assume it's some comic book hero.

I mean I watched THIS when I was a kid:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #450 on: August 06, 2019, 04:42:09 PM »
Form of a blank slate.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #451 on: August 06, 2019, 04:44:11 PM »
Shape of water!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #452 on: August 06, 2019, 07:30:21 PM »
Cheap Trick- In Color
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #453 on: August 06, 2019, 07:52:07 PM »

Offline max_security

« Reply #454 on: August 06, 2019, 08:29:25 PM »
Mxyzptlk