Author Topic: "Classic" album appreciation thread - the '80s  (Read 40159 times)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
Re: "Classic" album appreciation thread - the '80s
« Reply #385 on: August 02, 2019, 11:57:01 AM »
There are bands that excel in a genre.  They're great in that genre.  But they are so committed to that genre that that's where they stay.  I can't imagine Anthrax or Slayer doing a convincing  Euro-pop album, for example.   But there are bands - I think Iron Maiden is one, and, don't laugh, but Night Ranger is another - that could put out a credible, legit album in jsut about any genre.

Duran Duran is that band.   I think Simon LeBon may be the best singer of that entire genre/time period.  He SANG, as opposed to that nasally English whine that a lot of those bands had (think the guy from Psychedelic Furs, or Robert Smith).   I think John Taylor could just as easily play in Yes as in Duran Duran (and I'm a Squire fan boy, so there!).   And on down the line.    Listen to the legato guitar lines on several of the songs on Rio; they are VERY Frippian (I'm thinking specifically of his work with Bowie on "Heroes").   That's a top flight band that happened to want to play - (I forget what it's called, but there was a name for it) - in the New Romantic style, but could just as easily have played metal or hard rock if that was their bent.
They are fans of Bowie (and always have been according to all band members), so the effect of "Heroes" on Rio is not surprising IMHO
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #386 on: August 02, 2019, 12:09:34 PM »
Bonus Friday content:

AC/DC - Back in Black

Songs:
-Hells Bells
-Shoot to Thrill
-What Do You Do for Money Honey
-Given the Dog a Bone
-Let Me Put My Love into You
-Back in Black
-You Shook Me All Night Long
-Have a Drink on Me
-Shake a Leg
-Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

This album somehow only had four hit singles.  I say "only," because at least 7 songs got regular radio rotation (and still do), and I can sing right along with them despite never owning this album. 

Where I went to school, there was sort of a fan rivalry between AC/DC and Van Halen.  It usually just devolved into whether you thought Angus or Eddie was the better guitar player.  I fell into the Van Halen camp myself.  But AC/DC could write a catchy rock song, and they wrote a LOT of them through the years.  And I guess that's why when taking a run at iconic albums from the '80s, you pretty much HAVE TO include this one.

I just read the book "Bon" by Jesse Fink, where he posited that Bon died of a lethal combination of alcohol and heroin, but also that he wrote many of the lyrics to this before he died, and the band - with Brian - assembled them into the songs you know and love (especially "You Shook Me All Night Long"). 

Though I have to admit I like "For Those About To Rock..." slightly better.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #387 on: August 02, 2019, 12:12:06 PM »
Back to Black is one of the pillars of hard rock music for good reason. IMO it's ACDC's only album that is consistently great from start to finish and has no filler tracks. One of the best rock albums ever made!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #388 on: August 02, 2019, 12:23:45 PM »
Back to Black is one of the pillars of hard rock music for good reason. IMO it's ACDC's only album that is consistently great from start to finish and has no filler tracks. One of the best rock albums ever made!
apparently Amy Winehouse had 2 drug overdoses while making that album in 1980, before she was even born :D Joking aside, I think Back In Black and For Those may be ACDC's equivalent to what Thriller was in some way.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #389 on: August 02, 2019, 12:47:05 PM »
Bonus Friday content:

AC/DC - Back in Black

Songs:
-Hells Bells
-Shoot to Thrill
-Given the Dog a Bone
-Let Me Put My Love into You
-Back in Black
-Have a Drink on Me
-Shake a Leg

This album somehow only had four hit singles.  I say "only," because at least 7 songs got regular radio rotation (and still do)

Errr...huh?  I wasn't listening to this sort of music when BIB came out, but I can only think of four songs that got regular airplay (Bells, Shoot, Shook and the title track).  Noise Pollution comes up now and then, but certainly not regularly.

Where I went to school, there was sort of a fan rivalry between AC/DC and Van Halen.  It usually just devolved into whether you thought Angus or Eddie was the better guitar player.

Interesting.  I have never, ever heard anyone suggest that Angus was anywhere near Eddie's level.  In fact, when I was first getting into this sort of music, all the talk was about how "Angus sucked!" so I went into listening to AC/DC with that bias already implanted.  I eventually learned that he does not, in fact, suck, but he's never been on the same level as EVH.

Ultimately, I agree with Stadler.  AC/DC has a niche, and it does it well.  Not my favorite, but this album was a monster and is an undeniable classic (one of only two albums by AC/DC that I own).

I can't imagine Anthrax or Slayer doing a convincing  Euro-pop album, for example.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I might actually buy that (and I don't like either Slayer or Euro-pop).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #390 on: August 02, 2019, 12:51:26 PM »
Errr...huh?  I wasn't listening to this sort of music when BIB came out, but I can only think of four songs that got regular airplay (Bells, Shoot, Shook and the title track).  Noise Pollution comes up now and then, but certainly not regularly.

I can't speak for your unrefined, barbaric part of the state.  But up here, the following got regular play:
-Hells Bells
-Shoot to Thrill
-Back in Black
-Have a Drink on Me
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #391 on: August 02, 2019, 01:12:42 PM »
I would have thought BiB was a '70's record until I looked it up. Good show, Bosky.

But, yeah, great album and truly a rock and roll classic!
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #392 on: August 02, 2019, 01:22:20 PM »
Rio is fantastic.  Great choice, bosky.

I know that Back in Black is huge, and I get why.  And although I enjoy some of the songs on that album, AC/DC has always been a band that, for me, I'm not saying that if you've heard one song, you've heard them all.  But if you've heard them all, it kind of feels like you've only heard one.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #393 on: August 02, 2019, 01:34:39 PM »
Duran Duran was one of those groups where I heard the songs and said, "pretty cool".  Saw the videos and said, "pretty cool".  However, never owned a single one of their albums.  Go figure. :-\

That is me too.

AC/DC - Back In Black

For me this is the quintessential AC/DC record, bluesy, sometimes funky, mighty memorable rock riffs and Brian Johnson still more singing than screeching. Maybe my favorite AC/DC record.

And I always find it funny, that this record has the same producer as Hysteria (Mutt Lange). The AC/DC one is basic and dry, guitars, bass, drums, vocals, no frippery, no studio tricks, (almost) no overdubs. Hysteria on the other hand is seriously overproduced, from the gang vocals to the guitar and drum sounds, twenty or more guitar tracks layered above each other, studio trickery etc.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline pg1067

« Reply #394 on: August 02, 2019, 02:46:22 PM »

I can't speak for your unrefined, barbaric part of the state.  But up here, the following got regular play:
-Hells Bells
-Shoot to Thrill
-Back in Black
-Have a Drink on Me

Damn hippies!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #395 on: August 02, 2019, 02:55:00 PM »

-Hells Bells
-Shoot to Thrill
-Back in Black
-Have a Drink on Me

Damn hippies!
:D (speaking of hippies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnjufR8GDcw)

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #396 on: August 02, 2019, 04:29:45 PM »
Such a great album, second only to Highway To Hell for me in their discography

I always thought Angus was a great player.. very underrated.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #397 on: August 02, 2019, 09:09:03 PM »
We've talked about this before, but the original versions of the b-sides for the Hysteria album are better - read: "I like more" - than anything on the actual album.  "Ride Into The Sun", "Tear It Down", "Ring Of Fire", "I Wanna Be Your Hero" all RULE. 

I listened to these recently on the recommendation from someone here (probably you) but I would agree. I had heard most of those songs at some point so there was some familiarity. I did not realize they where Hysteria B-sides.

Rio: I got in to Duran Duran via their videos and Arena. It was the only album of theirs I ever owned. Probably my most played cassette for a couple years. I know those versions better than the album ones so it is hard for me to evaluate their albums.

BiB: One of the best rock albums of all time. I say that with zero hesitation.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #398 on: August 02, 2019, 09:18:44 PM »
Back in Black is a hard rock classic that I rarely listen to any more, but it is still a great record.

All I knew for years from Rio were the three hits, but thanks to a few peeps here a few years ago, I got into some of the rest of it, most notably Last Chance on the Stairway and The Chauffeur, two nice deep cuts.  The title rock has that killer bass line, Hungry Like the Wolf was the song that really put them on the map as superstars (and the video was awesome), and Save a Prayer is hands down my favorite Duran Duran song; I love the synths in that one.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #399 on: August 03, 2019, 04:42:05 AM »
Back in Black is a hard rock classic that I rarely listen to any more, but it is still a great record.

Ditto.  It earned and deserves it spot on the top shelf of all-time rock music.  AC/DC's magnus opus without a doubt.

As for DD, I was mostly a 'best-of' fan, but really feel the urge to listen to this now.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #400 on: August 03, 2019, 10:30:21 AM »
We've talked about this before, but the original versions of the b-sides for the Hysteria album are better - read: "I like more" - than anything on the actual album.  "Ride Into The Sun", "Tear It Down", "Ring Of Fire", "I Wanna Be Your Hero" all RULE. 

I listened to these recently on the recommendation from someone here (probably you) but I would agree. I had heard most of those songs at some point so there was some familiarity. I did not realize they where Hysteria B-sides.

Not only were they B-sides, but they are some of the original songs written for the album that were scrapped when the band went back and re-wrote the entire thing.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #401 on: August 03, 2019, 06:49:40 PM »
The Hysteria B sides are excellent. It's Def Leppard. the A sides...NOT Def Leppard. Or not Def Leppard anymore.

I was obviously not into Duran Duran. My gf in high school was totally gaga over them. I remember hearing/seeing D2 on MTV with the Planet Earth video. I thought they were new waveish. But one night, I was listening to the KBFH and there was this band I wasn't familiar with. I remember finding it interesting. And then the last song was Planet Earth which I definitely recognized. I couldn't believe it was them. They were rocking.

I'll say this though. Their music has really aged well. Whenever I hear a song by them, it obviously takes me back, but those songs hold up. I heard Save A Prayer at work today, as I do quite often. That really is a great song.

AS far as Back In Black, my favorite AC/DC album is Let There Be Rock, but Back In Black was so influential on me forming my musical identity. It still sounds amazing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #402 on: August 05, 2019, 10:11:20 AM »
Back from the weekend...

Prince - Purple Rain

Songs:
-Let's Go Crazy
-Take Me with U
-The Beautiful Ones
-Computer Blue
-Darling Nikki
-When Doves Cry
-I Would Die 4 U
-Baby I'm a Star
-Purple Rain

Back when this album came out, I did not understand how insanely talented a writer and performer Prince was.  I only knew that some of the songs were really catchy, even if a lot of the lyrics were way too unnecessarily racy.  But if Prince thought something was sexy and creative and well done, he just went for it and didn't really care what anybody might think.  We can debate all day about whether that is to his credit or his detriment.  But the bottom line is, overall, this album really showcases some incredible writing and musicianship.  It is rock, R&B, funk, soul, and lots of other stuff, and it does it all well.  This isn't an album I can still listen to.  But it is one I definitely appreciate.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #403 on: August 05, 2019, 10:13:00 AM »
Oh hell yeah. I love this album. The Beautiful Ones to me is the standout track, next to Purple Rain. The title track is one of the best 80s songs ever, and Labyrinth performed a heartwrenching acoustic version of it at ProgPower last year. Fantastic album!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #404 on: August 05, 2019, 10:13:56 AM »
This is the one Prince album I think it is great from start to finish.  Every song is a winner, and it's the album that made him the superstar he remained for the rest of his career.  When Doves Cry is still one of the best singles of the 80's, which is no easy task considering how many great singles that decade produced.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #405 on: August 05, 2019, 10:18:08 AM »
While there are Prince albums that fit my tastes better (Lotusflow3r) this is without a doubt his only classic album. Stellar from start to finish. And what a finish, Purple Rain is awesome!
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #406 on: August 05, 2019, 10:29:56 AM »
I also want to add an observation:  So much of this album, and so much of Prince's discography in general, is SO ridiculously self-indulgeant.  And yet, it works.  The man is dead serious about his craft, and that gives it a level of genuineness that makes it authentic.  That huge level of authenticity coupled with the immense talent kind of made him...legendary, for lack of a better word.  To give an example, when I lived in Minneapolis for the summer of 1995, I was absolutely thrilled and giddy to actually see and experience a lot of the places shown in the Purple Rain film.  And that despite not really being a true Prince "fan" in any real sense of the word.  But he was bigger than life back then, and so was his music.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #407 on: August 05, 2019, 06:52:46 PM »
For sure.

I have tried to get into his other albums, but none of them have grabbed me outside of a few songs here and a few songs there.  Dirty Mind is pretty highly-regarded, so I got it a while back, and while it was good, it's not an album I will probably ever return to very much.  I get why many love it, that said.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #408 on: August 05, 2019, 07:40:58 PM »
 :corn
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #409 on: August 05, 2019, 08:58:55 PM »
I think I owned this album, but can't swear to it. I know I loved "Let's Go Crazy" and it's possible I bought it on the strength of that song alone.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #410 on: August 05, 2019, 09:47:43 PM »
I still say Sign O the Times is his masterpiece....but this one is right up there.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: August 05, 2019, 11:48:41 PM »
:corn

I can't say that I have ever owned a Prince album or could name many more than half a dozen songs . Some of my favorite artists ( Steve Vai/Jeff Scott Soto amongst others) cite him as a genius and so I would never argue his influence or ability.  Just never connected with me to the point where I wanted to sit through a whole album.   
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #412 on: August 06, 2019, 01:05:06 AM »
I've tried Prince many times because everyone was raving about him, but never I found something I really like, there's the occasional song that's not bad and there are some passages that are musically great, but on the whole he leaves me completely cold.

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #413 on: August 06, 2019, 06:30:59 AM »
Prince is the shining example of someone that I admire, that I respect, that I consider to be in the pantheon of greats...  but just don't like his music.  It's not my thing.    I've tried - I have the Black Record, I have the one with "Raspberry Beret" (a GREAT song) and the 3-CD Greatest Hits record - but while it's objectively very well done, it moves me not a bit. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #414 on: August 06, 2019, 07:15:23 AM »
Never owned a Prince album but I definitely could make a greatest hits out of his songs.  I did just that from my buddy's box set he got.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #415 on: August 06, 2019, 07:24:32 AM »
Purple Rain is the exception for me, but I am with you guys on the rest.

I remember finally checking Sign 'o' the Times years ago, after reading about how it was supposedly this masterpiece, and came away feeling that it had a handful of good songs, including U Got the Look which I have always been a big fan of, and then a ton of songs I'd be fine with never hearing in my life again.

Same thing with Diamonds and Pearls and the Love Symbol album. I managed to add a few songs from both to my collection, but the majority of both was a major pass for me, and both of those are also considered among his best.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #416 on: August 06, 2019, 08:00:20 AM »
One thing:  I'm envious of Prince, in the sense that I wish Ritchie Blackmore or Eddie Van Halen had that sort of... prolificness.  They're talking about hours and hours of sessions and tapes of Prince putting down songs on piano, on guitar, and I would love to hear musicians that I feel are equally as transcendent do the same.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #417 on: August 06, 2019, 08:24:33 AM »
Megadeth - Rust in Peace

Songs:
-Holy Wars... The Punishment Due
-Hangar 18
-Take No Prisoners
-Five Magics
-Poison Was the Cure
-Lucretia
-Tornado of Souls
-Dawn Patrol
-Rust in Peace... Polaris

As with the two previous Megadeth albums, I tried this one out when it was released.  And I didn't like it.  It wasn't until Countdown that this band finally clicked for me.  But then I went back and explored the back catalog.  And while the earlier albums to this day do nothing for me, I could finally see this album as the landmark that it is.

The music was as aggressive as ever.  But suddenly, it was also accessible.  Suddenly, Mustaine managed to put together songs that could appeal to people outside of just the thrash scene. 

Every player shines on this album.  Mustaine's riffs and the solos he takes are some of the best thrash--or any subgenre of metal, for that matter--has to offer.  Friedman's solos are blistering, yet have an uncanny sense of melody that makes them memorable and not simply a flurry of notes played at breakneck speed.  Ellefson's bass lines aren't flashy or fancy, but they hold everything together and give the songs a groove and pulse that almost-subliminally makes them more rhythmic and appealing.  And Menza's drumming drives the songs and gives them a flair and aggression that fits beautifully with the aggressive guitar riffing. 

Honestly, writing about this album is pretty boring because I don't really have anything critical to say.  Every song is awesome, and there is little to criticize.  I only wish that I had actually gotten into this album in the '80s when it was released instead of finding it several years later.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #418 on: August 06, 2019, 08:27:16 AM »
Purple Rain... stellar album.  It made the start of my Top 50.  No duds, but the gems (title, Doves, Crazy) are absolutely God tier tunes.  Beyond that album, I'm really only a 'best-of' fan.  Never tried going any deeper, because after this was released, my musical leanings went in a very different direction than what Prince was putting out.

Megadeth... never connected with them.  Back then, or nowadays.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #419 on: August 06, 2019, 08:46:49 AM »
I never really and deeply clicked with Megadeth, so at beast I like a bunch of their songs, but gone are the days I even bother to check our their new albums. Having said that, even though musically is not my cup of tea I recognize Rust in Peace's brilliance and Holy Wars, Tornado of Souls and Hangar 18 are songs that any metalhead should cherish to hear live upon occasion.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!