Author Topic: "Classic" album appreciation thread - the '80s  (Read 40115 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: "Classic" album appreciation thread - the '80s
« Reply #350 on: August 01, 2019, 09:55:21 AM »
Classic and timeless.  I still give the slight edge to Hysteria (for my own personal reasons as to when my musical course was being charted), but when I did my Top 50, I really struggled with putting Hysteria over Pyromania.  All in all, I'd say Pyromania has aged better for me.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #351 on: August 01, 2019, 10:05:22 AM »
Awesome album and one I have, I can see why people who were already fans would be put off a bit, but like you said, it's great music and I hope those people eventually came around to enjoy this (I'm sure many or most did).
I actually love all the records up until the X album, although I think you're right, some people may have been stumped by Pyromania.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline pg1067

Def Leppard - Pyromania

Their last good album.

As with a lot of these albums, my first exposure to Leppard came by way of MTV -- in this case, the Rock of Ages video and then the video for Photograph.  I bought the album (probably from the Columbia Record & Tape Club) and then got High 'n' Dry.  Foolin' is probably my favorite song on this album.  Given what had transpired in my life between 83-87, from the moment I heard the first notes of whatever the first song from Hysteria I heard was, I was done with Leppard.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: August 01, 2019, 10:47:48 AM »
Was right up there in my DTF Top 50.............but everyone didn't know them out here in Australia until they really broke with Hysteria.  To this day I am not sure that I have heard Photograph (or anything pre-Hysteria)  on regular mainstream radio.

One of my most played albums ever.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #354 on: August 01, 2019, 11:19:40 AM »
When I was a kid getting into rock Def Leppard was one of the first bands I could sink my teeth into. Unfortunately not a single one of their studio albums was interesting enough for me to stick with front to back, Pyromania included (but I would have to agree with those who put Hysteria at the top). I actually still like Photograph and Rock of Ages a lot, but Too Late For Love and Foolin' are a bit too 80s schlock for my ears. I prefer to listen to their greatest hits (The Vault) when it comes to Leppard.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #355 on: August 01, 2019, 12:03:46 PM »
...a bit too 80s schlock for my ears.

You say that as if it's a bad thing.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #356 on: August 01, 2019, 01:21:01 PM »
Great, great album by the Leps!

Their last good album.

:iagree:
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
Def Leppard - Pyromania

Their last good album.

As with a lot of these albums, my first exposure to Leppard came by way of MTV -- in this case, the Rock of Ages video and then the video for Photograph.  I bought the album (probably from the Columbia Record & Tape Club) and then got High 'n' Dry.  Foolin' is probably my favorite song on this album.  Given what had transpired in my life between 83-87, from the moment I heard the first notes of whatever the first song from Hysteria I heard was, I was done with Leppard.
you don't seem to like Hysteria and everything after that then (which I can understand in some way)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #358 on: August 01, 2019, 02:18:45 PM »
Appetite for Destruction and Pyromania?  Now we're getting somewhere.

2 of the greatest albums in history, regardless of genre.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #359 on: August 01, 2019, 02:31:27 PM »
Listen to hefdaddy42 in all things.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #360 on: August 01, 2019, 02:33:09 PM »
Listen to bosk1 in all things.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #361 on: August 01, 2019, 03:01:40 PM »
Scorpions Savage Amusement is a fantastic hard rock album! Great tour to support it too.  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #362 on: August 01, 2019, 03:40:19 PM »
Appetite for Destruction and Pyromania?  Now we're getting somewhere.

2 of the greatest albums in history, regardless of genre.
Pyromania???
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #363 on: August 01, 2019, 03:46:44 PM »
So I was a huge fan when Pyromania came out. Yes, it wasn't nearly has heavy as High n Dry.
Heck, even the drums are programmed.

After Pyromania, Def Leppard became Mutt Lange's  rock style "boy band".

Pyromania isn't bad, and I love the live album that came with the deluxe version a few years ago. This tour was my first concert.

But Def Leppard lost me with Hysteria. After that long wait between albums, they came out with such a load of rubbish. I heard Pour Some Sugar On Me the other day. It's as gag worthy as it was 30 years ago.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: August 01, 2019, 03:57:06 PM »
Great album. In real time I probably liked Hysteria more. It was the first or second CD I bought with my own money. I wasn't huge into High n Dry or Pyromania at the time (I only knew what I'd seen on MTV) so the change in sound didn't resonate with me. Hysteria made me backtrack and buy those albums.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

you don't seem to like Hysteria and everything after that then

Correct.

But Def Leppard lost me with Hysteria. After that long wait between albums, they came out with such a load of rubbish. I heard Pour Some Sugar On Me the other day. It's as gag worthy as it was 30 years ago.

Exactly.  I know this is an overly broad and not really fair characterization, but I regard Hysteria as basically a collection of songs suitable for nothing other than use as background music at strip clubs.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #366 on: August 01, 2019, 04:10:14 PM »
FYI, agreeing with TAC really doesn't help one's musical credibility.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #367 on: August 01, 2019, 04:25:23 PM »
Hah!

I mean, if you were 12 and Hysteria came out and it meant something to you, that great!

But honestly, Def Leppard ceased being a band and basically became..product at that point.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #368 on: August 01, 2019, 07:54:16 PM »
Eh, that sounds like code for "they sold out," which I reject.  Hysteria still sounded like Def Leppard; it was just more streamlined and slick to appeal to the masses.  I know the idea of your favorite band being a bunch of starving musicians while staying true to their art is always appealing to the fans who were there before they hit the big time, but I will almost never have a problem with a band finding a way to make more money.

Pyromania is good, but Foolin' is the only song from it I ever reach for now. I prefer both High N' Dry and Hysteria.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #369 on: August 01, 2019, 08:02:11 PM »
Hah!

I mean, if you were 12 and Hysteria came out and it meant something to you, that great!

But honestly, Def Leppard ceased being a band and basically became..product at that point.

I was 13 when Hysteria came out and it took some time to break in Australia so perhaps 14 when I found it.  I was into the first single that made radio here (Animal) and then - as I always did when I found a new band I liked - I went straight to the store to check out the back catalogue.   Once I found Pyromania I played it non stop for months and ditched Hysteria.   I still rate Hysteria as a very good album but I much prefer High n Dry and Pyromania - and for that matter , Retroactive which I think is quite under rated and a better "middle ground" between Pyro and Hysteria.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #370 on: August 02, 2019, 07:34:42 AM »
I remember getting my father to buy this for me at a gas station...
I have never, in my 43 years of living, seen a CD for purchase at a gas station.

I used to drive from Connecticut to Florida, every year as a kid and then every couple years as an adult.   Just about every truck stop on I95 (the interstate that goes from Maine to the tip of Key West, Florida) had cassettes in the day, and CDs now.   Nothing deep, all the same stuff (Thriller, the first Boston album, Born In The USA, etc. etc.) but they were there.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: August 02, 2019, 07:36:52 AM »
Hah!

I was 13 when Hysteria came out and it took some time to break in Australia so perhaps 14 when I found it.  I was into the first single that made radio here (Animal) and then - as I always did when I found a new band I liked - I went straight to the store to check out the back catalogue.   Once I found Pyromania I played it non stop for months and ditched Hysteria.   I still rate Hysteria as a very good album but I much prefer High n Dry and Pyromania - and for that matter , Retroactive which I think is quite under rated and a better "middle ground" between Pyro and Hysteria.

We've talked about this before, but the original versions of the b-sides for the Hysteria album are better - read: "I like more" - than anything on the actual album.  "Ride Into The Sun", "Tear It Down", "Ring Of Fire", "I Wanna Be Your Hero" all RULE. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #372 on: August 02, 2019, 07:48:56 AM »
Pyromania kicks a lot of ass.  I love when the band opens with Rock Rock Till You Drop - that's such a great song.  I was happy to see them on New Year's Eve 1999 and having them open with that track.  Just a whole bunch of fantastic songs.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #373 on: August 02, 2019, 08:15:49 AM »
I saw them open for Billy Squier in '83, and those songs are so much better live. 

That's one thing about them:  rag on the songs but they deliver as a band live, for real.  I saw them open for Kiss in 2014, and I was pretty impressed. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #374 on: August 02, 2019, 09:17:54 AM »
Eh, that sounds like code for "they sold out," which I reject.  Hysteria still sounded like Def Leppard; it was just more streamlined and slick to appeal to the masses.  I know the idea of your favorite band being a bunch of starving musicians while staying true to their art is always appealing to the fans who were there before they hit the big time, but I will almost never have a problem with a band finding a way to make more money.

Pyromania is good, but Foolin' is the only song from it I ever reach for now. I prefer both High N' Dry and Hysteria.

Agreed.  Hysteria was very commercialized and poppy, but it was still Def Leppard.  I thought the song writing was pretty good for the most part.  Could've done without PSSOM and Excitable, but it's still a good album.  It's pretty difficult to argue against 25M copies world wide and 7 hit singles.  Although, I think Pyromania is still my fav.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #375 on: August 02, 2019, 09:26:39 AM »
I wouldn't have put it quite in these terms at the time, but:  Hysteria was not the album I wanted.  But it was ultimately so good that I couldn't help but love it anyway.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #376 on: August 02, 2019, 09:28:36 AM »
There's a funny Edguy song about one of their friends/crew members on their last album's bonus disc that was heavily inspired by Hysteria. Honestly the hook is awesome, it's a straight Def Leppard clone.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #377 on: August 02, 2019, 09:33:58 AM »
To give us something more up TAC's alley:

Duran Duran - Rio

Songs:
-Rio
-My Own Way
-Lonely in Your Nightmare
-Hungry Like the Wolf
-Hold Back the Rain
-New Religion
-Last Chance on the Stairway
-Save a Prayer
-The Chauffeur

At the end of the day, what I can say is that these guys weren't my thing, but I enjoyed every single song I ever heard from them.  I primarily knew of them for two reasons back then: (1) They were all over MTV; and, probably more importantly, (2) Their name was scribbled on the book covers and notebooks of every single sweater-and-leg-warmer-wearing girl I ever had a crush on and got friend-zoned by in high school, and they would talk about Duran Duran incessantly.  I know the hits.  I like the hits.  I have heard they put on a great live show.  That's about all I can say.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #378 on: August 02, 2019, 09:40:07 AM »

Duran Duran - Rio

Songs:
-Rio
-My Own Way
-Hungry Like the Wolf
-Hold Back the Rain
-New Religion
-Save a Prayer
-The Chauffeur

At the end of the day, what I can say is that these guys weren't my thing, but I enjoyed every single song I ever heard from them.  I primarily knew of them for two reasons back then: (1) They were all over MTV; and, probably more importantly, (2) Their name was scribbled on the book covers and notebooks of every single sweater-and-leg-warmer-wearing girl I ever had a crush on and got friend-zoned by in high school, and they would talk about Duran Duran incessantly.  I know the hits.  I like the hits.  I have heard they put on a great live show.  That's about all I can say.
one of my favourites of theirs, great album

Offline pg1067

« Reply #379 on: August 02, 2019, 10:02:12 AM »
FYI, agreeing with TAC really doesn't help one's musical credibility.

Hysteria and "musical credibility" don't exactly go hand-in-hand.

Duran Duran - Rio

This is a bit of an odd one for me.  I kinda liked a couple songs at first but then rejected the band as I got into metal and adopted the "if it isn't metal, it sucks" attitude.  It wasn't until 15+ years later than I gave some of the songs another chance and really love them.  John Taylor's bass work is particularly good.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #380 on: August 02, 2019, 10:06:48 AM »

Duran Duran - Rio

Songs:
-Rio
-My Own Way
-Hungry Like the Wolf
-Hold Back the Rain
-New Religion
-Save a Prayer
-The Chauffeur

This album is, in my view, legendary.   I love this record to this day. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #381 on: August 02, 2019, 10:10:39 AM »
Duran Duran was one of those groups where I heard the songs and said, "pretty cool".  Saw the videos and said, "pretty cool".  However, never owned a single one of their albums.  Go figure. :-\
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #382 on: August 02, 2019, 10:53:52 AM »
New wave, with hints of progressness and hooks like no other.   Rio was my gateway into DD.

Dide note, I both this cassette with Iron Maiden Piece Of Mind. I just remember laughing at the drastic style differences in my purchase.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #383 on: August 02, 2019, 11:08:45 AM »
Bonus Friday content:

AC/DC - Back in Black

Songs:
-Hells Bells
-Shoot to Thrill
-What Do You Do for Money Honey
-Given the Dog a Bone
-Let Me Put My Love into You
-Back in Black
-You Shook Me All Night Long
-Have a Drink on Me
-Shake a Leg
-Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

This album somehow only had four hit singles.  I say "only," because at least 7 songs got regular radio rotation (and still do), and I can sing right along with them despite never owning this album. 

Where I went to school, there was sort of a fan rivalry between AC/DC and Van Halen.  It usually just devolved into whether you thought Angus or Eddie was the better guitar player.  I fell into the Van Halen camp myself.  But AC/DC could write a catchy rock song, and they wrote a LOT of them through the years.  And I guess that's why when taking a run at iconic albums from the '80s, you pretty much HAVE TO include this one. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #384 on: August 02, 2019, 11:13:38 AM »
There are bands that excel in a genre.  They're great in that genre.  But they are so committed to that genre that that's where they stay.  I can't imagine Anthrax or Slayer doing a convincing  Euro-pop album, for example.   But there are bands - I think Iron Maiden is one, and, don't laugh, but Night Ranger is another - that could put out a credible, legit album in jsut about any genre.

Duran Duran is that band.   I think Simon LeBon may be the best singer of that entire genre/time period.  He SANG, as opposed to that nasally English whine that a lot of those bands had (think the guy from Psychedelic Furs, or Robert Smith).   I think John Taylor could just as easily play in Yes as in Duran Duran (and I'm a Squire fan boy, so there!).   And on down the line.    Listen to the legato guitar lines on several of the songs on Rio; they are VERY Frippian (I'm thinking specifically of his work with Bowie on "Heroes").   That's a top flight band that happened to want to play - (I forget what it's called, but there was a name for it) - in the New Romantic style, but could just as easily have played metal or hard rock if that was their bent.