Author Topic: "Classic" album appreciation thread - the '80s  (Read 40400 times)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
Re: "Classic" album appreciation thread - the '80s
« Reply #245 on: July 24, 2019, 01:39:54 PM »
Frontiers sucks

Damn...I get that it's not on the same level as Escape, but "sucks" is pretty harsh.  The well-known tracks are solid, and Edge of the Blade and Rubicon are GREAT "deep cuts."

By the way, Neal Schon in the pre-Perry days had one hell of an epic afro!
I actually like some pieces on that one quite a bit too, even more so than Escape (among others,Frontiers itself, thanks Steve Smith. Pay attention to how he constructed the groove in that piece and you'll see what i mean)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #246 on: July 24, 2019, 01:41:53 PM »
Frontiers sucks

Damn...I get that it's not on the same level as Escape, but "sucks" is pretty harsh.  The well-known tracks are solid, and Edge of the Blade and Rubicon are GREAT "deep cuts."

By the way, Neal Schon in the pre-Perry days had one hell of an epic afro!

Frontiers is heavier and darker than Escape, and to me that's not a good thing; the Journey I seem to like is the Journey that's really sunny and upbeat and Escape is very much that. Frontiers also shows a lot more huskiness in Perry's voice and I'm not a fan of that either. I don't remember enjoying Rubicon whatsoever, and I don't like what's going on with the synths on that record either. But, I also first heard it in 2013 or 2014, when I was 22-23. If I heard it growing up in the 70s, I think my perception would be waaay different.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #247 on: July 24, 2019, 01:57:40 PM »
Frontiers is heavier and darker than Escape, and to me that's not a good thing; the Journey I seem to like is the Journey that's really sunny and upbeat and Escape is very much that. Frontiers also shows a lot more huskiness in Perry's voice and I'm not a fan of that either.

I think that's right.  And a big part of the reason is that by the time Frontiers was written, Journey was a band that was feeling a LOT more strain in their relationships with each other, with management, with the label, in their personal lives, etc.  And it was a band that, at that point in time, had toured WAY more and for far too long than they wanted.  The strain from all of that was reflected in the music and lyrics.  I'm not saying that to say that you have to like it.  But I'm saying that you are dead on, and there is a real reason for that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #248 on: July 24, 2019, 03:19:27 PM »
Any album with Separate Ways, Send Her My Love and Faithfully is good, on the strength of those three songs alone.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #249 on: July 25, 2019, 08:55:38 AM »
U2 - The Joshua Tree

Songs:

-Where the Streets Have No Name
-I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
-With or Without You
-Bullet the Blue Sky
-Running to Stand Still
-Red Hill Mining Town
-In God's Country
-Trip Through Your Wires
-One Tree
-Exit
-Mothers of the Disappeared

What an amazing year for music 1987 was.  This album is no exception.  Prior to the Joshua Tree, I knew U2 as just another one of those "new wave bands" that had a few songs/videos I liked.  I was familiar with some of the singles and deep cuts, and had friends who listened.  But I didn't know them.  This album changed that.  As with most of the albums I will be discussing in this thread, this one was unavoidable because the singles were EVERYWHERE after its release.  I played this album nonstop after buying it and love it to this day.  I have a hard time doing an "all time" album ranking, so I cannot say where this album would rank for me.  But it would be hard to do, say, a top 50 and not include it.  Incredible album.  I also had an opportunity to see them in a stadium on this tour.  And while I generally prefer smaller venues, the atmosphere in that stadium was electric.  Some may remember an earlier controversy a few days before where Bono was publicly chastised for spray painting on a huge sculpture/structure in San Francisco.  At the show I attended in Oakland a few days later, Bono invited the artist who had created that sculpture up onstage, and he then "defaced" U2's giant Joshua Tree scrims with a giant paint roller.  It was an amazing moment in an amazing show.  To this day, U2's performance of Bullet the Blue Sky at that show remains one of my most memorable concert moments.

In another related tidbit, in my pop choir class senior year of HS, we had to sing a solo as our final.  I chose Running To Stand Still from this album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #250 on: July 25, 2019, 08:57:34 AM »
This is the only U2 album I've ever heard. It's been years since I heard it, but I picked up a cheap remastered copy for like $5 at Best Buy or Wal-Mart about 10 years ago, and I loved it. From what I remember, I described the album in one word: atmosphere. I remember it had a very clear, almost desolate vibe to some of the songs and it was a lot different than what I expected to hear. I think I'll play this one today, it's been too long.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #251 on: July 25, 2019, 08:58:41 AM »
That's a really good description.  I think it also unintentionally explains why many (myself included) feel that, despite some really good output, the band have never equaled or topped this album.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #252 on: July 25, 2019, 09:00:05 AM »
If I ever were to have a favourite U2 album, this one, The Unforgettable Fire and Achtung Baby would all rotate for that given title. Either way, these were a great run and TJJ is a classic album for more than one reason.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #253 on: July 25, 2019, 09:00:46 AM »
This is the album that showed me that U2 was something different.

I got to see this in Hartford Civic Center early on in the tour, third row on the floor, and it was transcendent.  Everyone knows the hits, but for me, the strength of this album is in the "lesser" songs, "Red Hill Mining Town", "In God's Country" and "One Tree Hill".  This is also the best that Bono has ever sounded (and while he's still very good, he's never, in my opinion, sounded the same since this tour). 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #254 on: July 25, 2019, 09:05:27 AM »
I was lucky enough to see them on the War tour as a 15 year old and then a few years later on The Unforgettable fire tour.  It was a religious experience.   Bono was talked, it was like a sermon.  He had everyone's attention.  The Joshua Tree was the album that put them in the rare air as The Stones and Pink Floyd being able to play football stadiums on multiple nights.  Fandom became hysteria.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #255 on: July 25, 2019, 09:21:39 AM »
I was lucky enough to see them on the War tour as a 15 year old and then a few years later on The Unforgettable fire tour.  It was a religious experience.   Bono was talked, it was like a sermon.  He had everyone's attention.  The Joshua Tree was the album that put them in the rare air as The Stones and Pink Floyd being able to play football stadiums on multiple nights.  Fandom became hysteria.
Hysteria, when you're near. Oh, no, sorry, wrong band :D (same year though, 1987)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #256 on: July 25, 2019, 09:25:57 AM »
Challenge accepted.  :biggrin:

Offline pg1067

« Reply #257 on: July 25, 2019, 11:38:34 AM »
U2 - The Joshua Tree

I have one friend who is a massive U2 fan, but this is a huge NO for me.

I was introduced to U2 via videos on MTV for New Years Day and Sunday Bloody Sunday.  I don't recall having strong feelings either way about the band (although I now love SBS).  The stuff I heard off Unforgettable Fire didn't appeal to me, and by the time Joshua Tree came out, I couldn't stand U2.  They are, IMO, the most overly pretentious band around, and their songs became increasingly bland.  And, honestly, I know a couple songs on this album more from their use on significant episodes of Friends than anything else.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #258 on: July 25, 2019, 11:50:52 AM »
Journey - Don't Stop Believin' is a classic.   Also love Stone in Love and Open Arms (though prefer Faithfully for a Journey ballad).  Who's Crying Now is also good.  I'm just a casual/greatest hits fan of the band though, so my knowledge stops there.

U2 - Not a fan at all.  That album is frontloaded though.  3 huge songs in a row, and I've never heard a single one after Bullet the Blue Sky.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #259 on: July 25, 2019, 11:58:04 AM »
Also, when that one album was forcibly downloaded to iTunes, U2 became utterly irredeemable as a band.  Fuck that noise.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #260 on: July 25, 2019, 12:03:23 PM »
They are, IMO, the most overly pretentious band around

Oh, absolutely.  I couldn't agree more.  But they are also amazing, and this album is the pinnacle.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #261 on: July 25, 2019, 12:20:24 PM »
Trip Through Your Wires is my underappreciated gem on this album.  I agree with Stadler on In God's Country and Red Hill Mining Town.  The hits are solid, but the deep cuts really make this album a solid listening experience.  This and Zooropa are the only U2 albums I own, and I only have The Joshua Tree on CD, so I don't listen to either of them often, but this album is a classic, and if someone asked me what ten albums I thought defined the 80's, this one would be on that list.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #262 on: July 25, 2019, 12:43:53 PM »
U2 - Not a fan at all.  That album is frontloaded though.  3 huge songs in a row, and I've never heard a single one after Bullet the Blue Sky.

Yeah, that's what I noticed. Even just by name, everyone knows the first three songs. Nothing from song 4 onwards rings a bell for me.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: July 25, 2019, 01:04:41 PM »

Yeah, that's what I noticed. Even just by name, everyone knows the first three songs. Nothing from song 4 onwards rings a bell for me.

I totally get the pretension, and I lost a lot of interest from Pop through... maybe Atomic Bomb, and I'm still not totally back in the fold yet, but just for the vocal performance "Red Hill Mining Town" and "One Tree Hill" (especially the latter) are worth the ten plus minutes to get through (13 if you include "In God's Country").

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #264 on: July 25, 2019, 01:34:16 PM »
Is there anything at all worth visiting in the pre-Perry Journey days? I've heard a lot about it but have never listened; for that matter I don't know any Santana, either, so I don't know if that matters (although Santana is an artist I should be much more familiar with). I'm not big on hard rock Journey which is why I dislike Frontiers so much. But Escape, man, that is just flawless good old fashioned rock.

Do a little quick research; find "Nickel and Dime" from "Next" on Spotify or wherever.  It might remind you of a band I know you're fond of.

Now that was a nice little surprise. That was VERY good, and not at all what I expected from Journey. Going to listen to more throughout the day/evening.

Wow, never heard that before. I hear Xanadu in there.
Schon is a great guitar player. So lyrical and yet able to shred when he wants to. I was very surprised by his solos on the Hear n Aid song. Along with Yngwie, he really stood out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #265 on: July 25, 2019, 06:17:24 PM »
The Joshua Tree is an obvious classic, and while it is not my favorite album of theirs - that would be Achtung Baby - it is still up there.  Rattle and Hum is what took me from being someone who liked U2 to someone who loved u2, but The Joshua Tree had a big hand in crossing that bridge as well. 

Side 1 is probably one of the best album sides of the 80's, and Side 2 is full of really nice deep cuts. 

The only tinny tiny drawback for me is that several songs here, while all really good on the album, became much better live, most notably Where the Streets Have No Name, Bullet the Blue Sky and Exit.  And I love the live version of Running to Stand Still that they did on the Zoo TV live DVD, with the different musical arrangement underneath the normal vocal melody, although it's hard to beat that original.

U2 has their share of haters, but they have a big place in the soundtrack of my life, and I will always be a big fan. :hat :hat

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: July 25, 2019, 07:48:25 PM »
Never got into U2 though liked some of their bigger hits. Couldn't have told you what was on this album past the third song with a gun to my head.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #267 on: July 25, 2019, 07:53:34 PM »
Obviously, U2 was never in my wheelhouse, but I always respected them as a band. I really have always liked New Year's Day and Sunday Bloody Sunday.

I actually saw this tour at the Boston Garden.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: July 25, 2019, 08:06:13 PM »
Shit Tim.  I never knew that. Wife a fan?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #269 on: July 25, 2019, 08:07:35 PM »
Shit Tim.  I never knew that. Wife a fan?

I met my wife 9 years later! :lol :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: July 25, 2019, 09:04:53 PM »
Jesus H! :lol

I outed you!  Lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #271 on: July 25, 2019, 09:11:09 PM »
My gf was a fan, but not a big one. It was really something to go do and experience. It was a great concert.

We also saw them in '92 in Foxboro. One of the meat cutters at Star Market that I knew did security there (and at Great Woods) and he got us right next to the stage. I wish I took pictures. We were literally 20 feel from The Edge, (the guitarist that is, lol).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #272 on: July 25, 2019, 09:12:05 PM »
I outed you!  Lol

Never, motherfucker! :lol :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: July 25, 2019, 09:14:46 PM »
 :lol

I had beers with Bono in Worcester, Massachusetts in an Irish bat. No joke. It felt like a dream talking to him.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: July 26, 2019, 08:31:29 AM »

I had beers with Bono in Worcester, Massachusetts in an Irish bat. No joke. It felt like a dream talking to him.

Was he cool?   

When I was last in Ireland (2000, 2001), we met a guy that claimed to know him from when he was a kid.   The guy was a piece of work - he held his red wine with the stem in his fist, and it sloshed around like there was a typhoon in the glass.  I had red wine blots all over my shirt - and in that drunken, loud Irish accent, all he could say was what a fine lad he was.  He kept telling us to go to the Clarence Hotel (then owned by Bono and Edge) as they had just renovated it and supposedly often drank there, but it it didn't happen.   I tried to get my then-wife to meet him for her 40th, but I couldn't pull it off either. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #275 on: July 26, 2019, 08:33:24 AM »
Joshua Tree took U2 from being a great band, to being God-tier. 

That's a really good description.  I think it also unintentionally explains why many (myself included) feel that, despite some really good output, the band have never equaled or topped this album.

Ayup.  While it's not in my personal Top 10 or even Top 50, I would classify it as one of the 'best' Classic Rock albums of all time - Top 10 material imo.  Probably the most notable/recognizable ROCK album from the 80s after Back in Black.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 09:17:24 AM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: July 26, 2019, 09:13:39 AM »
They are SO GOOD live, too.  Not in the same way as DT, but Bono belongs in the top tier of rock front men to be sure.

And for the record, I'm ignoring the "Pop/Mephisto" years; I'm just talking as a singer and front man; that Joshua Tree show, I can remember just staring at him as he commanded the stage.  When he stood there, and yelled out "Outside is America... Outside is HARTFORD CONNECTICUT!", as cheesy as it sounds, it gave me goosebumps.  It was like a sermon, almost.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #277 on: July 26, 2019, 09:15:42 AM »
They are SO GOOD live, too.  Not in the same way as DT, but Bono belongs in the top tier of rock front men to be sure.

I completely agree. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: July 26, 2019, 09:29:47 AM »

Was he cool?   

When I was last in Ireland (2000, 2001), we met a guy that claimed to know him from when he was a kid.   The guy was a piece of work - he held his red wine with the stem in his fist, and it sloshed around like there was a typhoon in the glass.  I had red wine blots all over my shirt - and in that drunken, loud Irish accent, all he could say was what a fine lad he was.  He kept telling us to go to the Clarence Hotel (then owned by Bono and Edge) as they had just renovated it and supposedly often drank there, but it it didn't happen.   I tried to get my then-wife to meet him for her 40th, but I couldn't pull it off either.

He was so down to earth.  Just wanted to get a pint of Guinness.  Got to chat for 5 minutes and left him alone.  I'll never forget clinking our glasses together.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #279 on: July 27, 2019, 04:48:51 AM »
That's fuckin awesome!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion