Author Topic: "Classic" album appreciation thread - the '80s  (Read 40158 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: "Classic" album appreciation thread - the '80s
« Reply #175 on: July 18, 2019, 11:44:21 AM »
Respectfully ... THIS is the best cover of The Trooper.

Fight me.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #176 on: July 18, 2019, 12:08:17 PM »
Next.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #177 on: July 18, 2019, 12:25:54 PM »
My favorite Maiden album.  15 year old King playing in a garage band jamming to FOI.  I think I hurt my vocal chords trying to do that last scream. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #178 on: July 18, 2019, 01:01:30 PM »
Respectfully ... THIS is the best cover of The Trooper.

Fight me.

Hey...if you'd rather look at Nita and Courtney than me in a spandex shirt, that's...well...ummm....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: July 18, 2019, 01:21:01 PM »

I may need to rethink my PPUSA accommodations.  lol

Hey I'm with you on TFF  :lol

Offline max_security

« Reply #180 on: July 18, 2019, 01:23:09 PM »
Piece Of Mind is my favorite IM album and maybe my favorite album period. That album seems like it was mixed to sound good on a pos single speaker boom box or a high end audio or PA system. There is no weak link in 1983 Iron Maiden , everyone brings their best performance on this album. Even Quest For Fire has some cool instrumental parts ( btw , remember the movie Quest For Fire from that time , lol ). And " Still Life " is in the upper tier of tunes on this album for me at least.

Where Eagles Dare - Still Life - To Tame A Land

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #181 on: July 18, 2019, 02:12:56 PM »
Y'all gotta be smoking some good grass to put TFF in top tier. Cram, bring that devil's lettuce to ATL  :lol

Edit: wait, I think I was misinterpreting those comments  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: July 18, 2019, 02:15:53 PM »
Y'all gotta be smoking some good grass to put TFF in top tier. Cram, bring that devil's lettuce to ATL  :lol

Wait what, I said TFF is not top tier, it's actually close to the bottom of my rankings, the only album of the reunion era I would not put above POM.  But yea, maybe I'll bring the devil's lettuce and you'll be able to enjoy The Mystery of Time  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: July 18, 2019, 02:16:44 PM »
Yeah my bad :rollin I might need to double down on drinks as well for TMOT!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #184 on: July 18, 2019, 02:49:06 PM »
Anyone who disagrees that TFF is a top-tier album is perfectly entitled to their opinion.  They just need to understand that they are wrong, that's all.  Like, the wrongest person who has ever wronged.  But they are entitled to that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: July 18, 2019, 02:59:48 PM »
Anyone who disagrees that TFF is a top-tier album is perfectly entitled to their opinion.  They just need to understand that they are wrong, that's all.  Like, the wrongest person who has ever wronged.  But they are entitled to that.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: July 18, 2019, 03:13:40 PM »
PoM is second in my favorite IM albums! It's still an awesome listen after all these years. Still Life is my favorite song off the album, especially trying to belch the spoken intro after chugging a Mikey's Bigmouth beer...well, at least back in the day.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #187 on: July 18, 2019, 03:49:04 PM »
At first I was wondering why an Iron Maiden album spun off into a Tears for Fears (TFF) discussion, but then I figured out that TFF is an acronym for some Maiden album I'd never heard. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #188 on: July 18, 2019, 03:55:28 PM »
I’d probably rank PoM just behind Killers and above Beast for songs.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #189 on: July 18, 2019, 05:00:42 PM »

But where would you rate TFF?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #190 on: July 18, 2019, 05:19:05 PM »
At first I was wondering why an Iron Maiden album spun off into a Tears for Fears (TFF) discussion, but then I figured out that TFF is an acronym for some Maiden album I'd never heard.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #191 on: July 18, 2019, 07:05:07 PM »
Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind

GREAT ALBUM :metal :metal :metal

Easily a Top 3 maiden album for me. Likely #2.

This was the first album by them after I became a fan. I remember calling a friend of mine before and after MTV premiered Flight Of Icarus.
I remember buying this (I bought Riot's Narita with POM) and crashing at the same friend's house that night and I think we listened to this like 10 times through the night.

I saw this tour (it was my second concert) a month before I turned 15. I thought they were great. I have been a Maiden fan since I was 12, and they have basically been a soundtrack to my life.

The Piece Of Mind years are a couple of the best. I mean, who wouldn't want to be 14-15 again. Every song is excellent. I love Quest For Fire and Sun And Steel. I'll give it that they are the albums weakest tracks, but I have never skipped them. Still Life is amazing, and I have always really liked Die With Your Boots on.

Seeing Maiden two weeks from tonight, and I'm so excited to hear Flight Of Icarus.

BTW, the beginning of Where Eagles Dare is the ringtone for my iPhone.

EDIT: I actually listened to this last weekend.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #192 on: July 18, 2019, 07:05:33 PM »
Oh...and The Final Frontier is AMAZING!! :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: July 18, 2019, 07:12:38 PM »
Seriously Tim.  I'm dying to hear Flight Of Icarus.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #194 on: July 18, 2019, 07:13:48 PM »

See you there, bro!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: July 18, 2019, 07:53:32 PM »
PoM is one of my top IM albums.

TFF is pretty mediocre.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: July 18, 2019, 08:01:28 PM »

See you there, bro!

Hell yeah!  My brother is coming.  1st time seeing Maiden!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #197 on: July 18, 2019, 08:02:53 PM »

See you there, bro!

Hell yeah!  My brother is coming.  1st time seeing Maiden!

I'm going with my wife's cousin, who is two years older than us. First timer as well.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: July 18, 2019, 08:13:43 PM »
Bring your "Brother to the Slaughter."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #199 on: July 18, 2019, 08:17:38 PM »
 :rollin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #200 on: July 18, 2019, 08:28:57 PM »

I know my acronyms for the bands for whom they are worth knowing.  :hat

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #201 on: July 19, 2019, 09:31:51 AM »
Maiden/Priest, the Number... and Screaming... tour, was my first concert.    I also went to the Piece of Mind tour, where Maiden was the headliner, and Coney Hatch and Fastway opened.   Coney Hatch was an utterly forgettable 25 minutes, but Fastway was EXCELLENT, and Maiden even better.

Bruce came out and his microphone wasn't working (the opener was "Where Eagles Dare").  That fucker sang the entire first verse without a microphone AND I COULD HEAR HIM.   (I was on the side of the stage, maybe four rows up.)   He was pissed and kept looking over at the side of the stage; finally the mic went on, I don't remember exactly when in the song, but as far as the audience was concerned, he was a total pro, and sang the rest of the song like nothing ever happened.  Later, between songs (I don't remember if it was immediately after WED or later) he came over again to the side of the stage right in front of me, and I could hear a couple of "F-bombs" in a heavy East Midlands accent to the guy managing the wireless mics.  :)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #202 on: July 19, 2019, 10:11:08 AM »
Bruce came out and his microphone wasn't working (the opener was "Where Eagles Dare").  That fucker sang the entire first verse without a microphone AND I COULD HEAR HIM.   (I was on the side of the stage, maybe four rows up.)   He was pissed and kept looking over at the side of the stage; finally the mic went on, I don't remember exactly when in the song, but as far as the audience was concerned, he was a total pro, and sang the rest of the song like nothing ever happened.  Later, between songs (I don't remember if it was immediately after WED or later) he came over again to the side of the stage right in front of me, and I could hear a couple of "F-bombs" in a heavy East Midlands accent to the guy managing the wireless mics:)

Are you sure?  He wasn't using wireless on the Powerslave tour.  Maybe what you described wasn't an isolated incident.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #203 on: July 19, 2019, 10:18:34 AM »
Bruce came out and his microphone wasn't working (the opener was "Where Eagles Dare").  That fucker sang the entire first verse without a microphone AND I COULD HEAR HIM.   (I was on the side of the stage, maybe four rows up.)   He was pissed and kept looking over at the side of the stage; finally the mic went on, I don't remember exactly when in the song, but as far as the audience was concerned, he was a total pro, and sang the rest of the song like nothing ever happened.  Later, between songs (I don't remember if it was immediately after WED or later) he came over again to the side of the stage right in front of me, and I could hear a couple of "F-bombs" in a heavy East Midlands accent to the guy managing the wireless mics:)

Are you sure?  He wasn't using wireless on the Powerslave tour.  Maybe what you described wasn't an isolated incident.
No, I'm not sure.  He might have been using a wired mic.   But the desk that was in front of me on the side wasn't the main soundboard (typically located in the back middle of the floor for arena shows), but it WAS controlling something, and Bruce was giving the guy behind it the bidniss.     

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: July 19, 2019, 12:39:22 PM »
I can say I've seen Bruce also yell at the side soundboard guy during the power outage during Powerslave at MSG in 2008.  I had a great view of Bruce storming behind the stage (i was waiting with a group of people to go on stage soon for Heaven Can Wait) and just berate him  :rollin I'll never forget it.  This was while the rest of the band were kicking soccer balls on stage. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #205 on: July 20, 2019, 07:49:59 AM »

But where would you rate TFF?

I wouldn’t bother 😀

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #206 on: July 20, 2019, 07:51:06 AM »
Oh...and The Final Frontier is AMAZING!! :metal

The Keel album? I agree🤘🤘🤘😀😀😀

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #207 on: July 20, 2019, 09:21:15 AM »
Keel absolutely blows. Chunks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #208 on: July 23, 2019, 01:39:43 PM »
Sorry for the delay.  It's tough typing lost posts with a broken hand.  But onward...

Journey - Escape

Songs:
-Don't Stop Believin'
-Stone in Love
-Who's Crying Now
-Keep On Runnin'
-Still They Ride
-Escape
-Lay It Down
-Dead or Alive
-Mother, Father
-Open Arms

As a kid with an AM radio and a paper route back when this album came out, I knew nothing about the history of this band.  I only knew the songs that were played on the radio CONSTANTLY.  And I loved them.  Then one day, I carefully clipped the return card from a newspaper ad, filled it out, taped a penny to it, and mailed it in.  And I waited.  And like magic, several weeks later, a box shows up at my door with this album and 12 others.  Life.  Changed.

It was only then that I eventually discovered just how deep this album was. This was not a "2 radio hits and 8 filler songs" album.  This entire album was pretty strong.  And these guys could go from soft piano ballad, to pop hit, to rocking out pretty hard.  Of course, at the time, I had no idea of the band's roots, touring around everywhere as a baby band with Y&T, or their early progressive leanings, or any of that.  I only knew that they wrote really good songs.  And at the end of the day, that's what makes this album so good.  I fully understand some of the old-school fans feeling like Perry and Cain changed them into a pop band and dumbed them down.  But the thing is, they are great musicians, and they wrote and performed great songs.  And that's what hooked me on this album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: July 23, 2019, 01:50:39 PM »
Bosk, how'd it happen?

One of those rarefied albums that I heard most of it on the radio.  That's how big it was.