Author Topic: "Classic" album appreciation thread - the '80s  (Read 40120 times)

Online pg1067

Re: "Classic" album appreciation thread - the '80s
« Reply #140 on: July 16, 2019, 02:00:56 PM »
O:M is a top-10 album of all time on my list.  Virtually flawless.  Sadly, I didn't get 'in' to QR until just a couple months after they'd rolled thru Toronto for the Empire tour, so never got to see this in its entirety.  I made up for it by watching the fuck out of O:L.  Easily my most watched concert DVD of ever.  I echo many of the statements already made, and don't have much more to offer.

Definitely agree with the first two sentences here.  I was fortunate enough to see most of it live during the O:M tour and then all of it live on the Empire tour.  I have the original VHS/CD version of Livecrime.

As far as the impact of this album on me, it was a complete game-changer (I think someone already used this term).  I was already a QR fan, but O:M was the first thing I ever heard that could be called progressive metal and inspired my band's guitar player and I to change our band's direction and split from our drummer and singer who wanted to go in a more glam direction.  After this album, I became aware of Fates Warning, and all that paved the way for DT a few years later (I'm not counting WDADU).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #141 on: July 16, 2019, 03:42:06 PM »
That reminds me: is Operation LiveCrime still available on DVD or Blu-ray? I need to get around to getting that.

And yeah, Mindcrime is great.  I love how it is very cohesive and has a great flow despite not having many reprises.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #142 on: July 16, 2019, 03:44:32 PM »
I have never watched Livecrime.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #143 on: July 16, 2019, 03:48:52 PM »
:|
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online pg1067

« Reply #144 on: July 16, 2019, 03:51:55 PM »
That reminds me: is Operation LiveCrime still available on DVD or Blu-ray? I need to get around to getting that.

Doesn't appear still to be in print, but I'm sure good used copies are available.

Last time I watched it (which I think was about a year ago), it struck me as being very heavily produced (at least the video and probably the audio as well).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #145 on: July 16, 2019, 04:07:15 PM »
:|

So here's the reason. If my memory is correct, the VHS was just a live version of O:M. If it was a full show, I might have sprung for it. Plus, I wasn't a fan of how it was shot. I hated when bands would release live videos with slo-mo effects.  So for those reasons, I never bought it. I had it in my hands a few times, but I just could not pull the trigger.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #146 on: July 16, 2019, 04:38:34 PM »
In addition to my prior statement, I would like to add the following:  :|
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #147 on: July 16, 2019, 04:56:11 PM »
Well, as much as I LOVED Warning and O:M, QR never really approached favorite band status. I didn't feel obligated to buy the thing. I think they released I Don't Believe In Love from it, and I just didn't care for the video. Plus I was already collecting bootlegs at that point, and there was a great Mindcrime show from Japan that I loved watching.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #148 on: July 16, 2019, 05:09:56 PM »
I remember being at a party on a Saturday and they were cranking it.  I didn't know OM came out.  I woke up Sunday and bought it right away.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #149 on: July 16, 2019, 05:17:35 PM »
I remember being at a party on a Saturday and they were cranking it.  I didn't know OM came out.  I woke up Sunday and bought it right away.

May 1988:

Seventh Son
Mindrcrime
Bruins run to the Finals

A glorious time.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #150 on: July 16, 2019, 05:24:36 PM »
Seems like yesterday in my mind.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #151 on: July 16, 2019, 05:24:53 PM »
One out of three ain't bad.

Offline max_security

« Reply #152 on: July 16, 2019, 05:32:45 PM »

May 1988:

Seventh Son
Mindrcrime
Bruins run to the Finals

A glorious time.

Jason Becker Perpetual Burn And Marty Friedman Dragons Kiss were my favorites of 88. Mindcrime was on the drivers side of the cassette case I will admit , it did have much better production than their earlier releases so it did get played a lot.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #153 on: July 16, 2019, 09:40:05 PM »
Well, as much as I LOVED Warning and O:M, QR never really approached favorite band status.

This is kind of me.  O:M was in high rotation, but they were the opening act for bands I liked better at that time.  No knock on them (and O:M and Empire have both aged very well, if you ask me.)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #154 on: July 16, 2019, 09:43:22 PM »
I would say for a while in the mid 90's, Queensryche was a borderline top 10 band for me, but then I found the internet and a crap load of new bands and they tumbled down the list.  They'd probably be somewhere in the 26-40 range now if I had to do a favorite bands/artists list.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #155 on: July 17, 2019, 05:19:31 AM »
I have the original VHS/CD version of Livecrime.

Me too!  Or, maybe "had" is more correct.  I'm not sure I have any of my VHS cassettes.  I digitized everything I owned about 10 years ago.  I did buy the DVD of O:L, and wouldn't say that the show is 'over' produced.  It's a really nice production, stitching together from what, 2 or 3 shows.  I don't mind when bands do that, to put out the best version of the product.

@ Tim (and others)... there's a nice live version of the Empire tour on Spotify ... Hammersmith Odeon show in 1990.  Spotify split the show and added the tracks on the 'remastered' version of Empire, and O:M as a 2nd disc on their listing of O:M.  I put them into a single playlist based on setlist.fm.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: July 17, 2019, 08:11:23 AM »
O:M  is the only Queensryche album that has stayed with me all these years. I still stop and listen whenever it comes on rotation. I've never done a top 50 album list but I'm sure this would be quite high on the list. At the time of it's release, I was mesmerized by Tates vocal performance and it still can give me chills occasionally (My Empty Room, anyone?). As near perfect as an album can get, IMO.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #157 on: July 17, 2019, 08:19:31 AM »
Mindcrime is my favorite album of all time.  Not much to expand upon.

I used to have the VHS/CD box set of Livecrime, but sold it a handful of years ago.  There was no point in keeping it - the video is now on DVD, and the CD was re-released in 2001 or so.  I did rip the original CD, but I don't hear any difference between the two.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #158 on: July 17, 2019, 11:40:26 AM »
Mindcrime is my joint favourite album of all time. Nuff said  :tup

Such a great album. It’s probably my most listened to album of all time and I’m still not tired of it.
I remember Kerrang gave it less Ks that Seventh Son and said the story didn’t hold together as well as Maiden’s effort. 😳. Idiots. I wanted to go and burn their offices down .

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #159 on: July 17, 2019, 11:41:32 AM »
Since when did this become the Obscure Album of The 80's Thread?

Must be an American thing. Never heard it.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #160 on: July 17, 2019, 01:36:36 PM »
Aerosmith - Toys
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #161 on: July 18, 2019, 07:55:25 AM »
Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind

Songs:

1.   Where Eagles Dare
2.   Revelations
3.   Flight of Icarus
4.   Die with Your Boots On
5.   The Trooper
6.   Still Life
7.   Quest for Fire
8.   Sun and Steel
9.   To Tame a Land

I almost bought this album in the '80s.  Almost.  I remember there was this kid named Aaron at the local arcade that was talking this album up SO much that, even though Aaron was kind of a screw up, he made it sound really compelling.  Even though I held out, I'm glad I eventually discovered this band a few years ago.  This album is one of the highlights in their discography.  Other than Sun and Steel, there isn't a weak track on here. 

Oh, and some bands will get more than one album in this thread.  Maiden is one of those bands.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #162 on: July 18, 2019, 07:59:43 AM »
My personal favorite Maiden album, alongside Seventh Son.

It contains Revelations, the song that started for me in 1995 the avalanch effect of making me like Bruce's voice and therefore Iron Maiden and therefore heavy metal, but all in all is chock full of awesome and historical songs, great sound, godlike performances from Bruce and all in all Maiden at the very top of their game. Their best album up until that point and one of the very best ever. Not of Maiden, of heavy metal.

Other than Sun and Steel, there isn't a weak track on here. 

You mispelled Quest for Fire.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: July 18, 2019, 08:01:08 AM »
I actually quite like Sun & Steel.  In all honesty, I think this is the most consistent album in the Maiden discography.  Song-for-song, I'd probably put it at the top of my list.  It doesn't have the highs of some other albums, but there isn't a single weak song.  I could probably call at least one 'weak' from any other Maiden album.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #164 on: July 18, 2019, 08:01:44 AM »
Where Eagles Dare, Flight of Icarus, Die With Your Boots On, Trooper - awesome.
Revelations, Still Life, To Tame A Land - okay
Quest For Fire, Sun and Steel - 2 of Maiden's worst songs ever.

Decent album - a few awesome tunes marred by several other forgettable/okay songs.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #165 on: July 18, 2019, 08:07:33 AM »
You mispelled Quest for Fire.

I most certainly did NOT!  :lol  Question for Fire is awesome.

In all honesty, I think this is the most consistent album in the Maiden discography.  Song-for-song, I'd probably put it at the top of my list. 

I agree.  The only one that rivals it, IMO, is [controversial opinion]The Final Frontier[/controversial opinion].  Somewhere In Time comes close. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #166 on: July 18, 2019, 08:31:32 AM »
Maybe in my top 5-10 Maiden discs.  The album is 100% front-loaded:

Where Eagles Dare, Revelations, Flight of Icarus, Die With Your Boots On, Trooper - every single song just crushes and are Maiden classics.

Still Life, Quest for Fire, Sun and Steel and To Tame a Land are ok.  I rarely listen to them, since the first five songs are so damn good.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #167 on: July 18, 2019, 08:39:11 AM »
But Still Life is so beautiful. The truly overlooked gem of Piece of Mind, dwarfed down by the first 5 songs, but an high point on any other (lesser) album otherwise. I'd kill to hear that live and its omission in the Maiden England tour (the 2012-4 revisitation, that's it) is a far, far, far greater setlist crime than never playing Alex the Great.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: July 18, 2019, 08:46:03 AM »
In all honesty, I think this is the most consistent album in the Maiden discography.  Song-for-song, I'd probably put it at the top of my list. 

I agree.  The only one that rivals it, IMO, is [controversial opinion]The Final Frontier[/controversial opinion].  Somewhere In Time comes close.

I violently agree that TFF as most consistent is a controversial opinion.  I just cannot get in to that album for some reason.  I was absolutely thinking SiT is a close rival to PoM as 'most consistent.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: July 18, 2019, 09:53:23 AM »
I think it's a really good and strong album, but honestly, it's mid tier IM for me.  It's only better than TFF in terms of reunion era albums and it's not better than the 3 albums that came after it.  Having said that, those albums are just that good IMO.  Like I said, this is still a good and strong album.  Only downer for me on it is Quest for Fire.  Sun and Steel is cheesy but it's fun.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: July 18, 2019, 09:56:23 AM »
It ain't no Number of the Beast, or even Killers, that's for sure.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: July 18, 2019, 10:06:40 AM »
It ain't no Number of the Beast, or even Killers, that's for sure.

It's somewhere in the mix with those in my mind, great albums none the less.  Iron Maiden is my favorite band, so even being middle of the pack of their albums is pretty high standing for me.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: July 18, 2019, 10:08:14 AM »

I may need to rethink my PPUSA accommodations.  lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: July 18, 2019, 10:09:20 AM »
 :lol :lol :lol

Online pg1067

« Reply #174 on: July 18, 2019, 10:49:30 AM »
Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind

Probably my favorite Maiden album and easily a top 10 album regardless of the artist.  This is one I could listen to on a loop for the rest of my life and not get bored.  My first exposure to Maiden was the Flight of Icarus video on MTV and then The Trooper.  May also have caught Run to the Hills or TNOTB at some point.  As was the case for a lot of albums in this early stage of my "metalhood," I probably borrowed it from my friend's brother before buying it.  I remember being worried how my mother would react to the album covers (and to the name of TNOTB).  At some point, I got a poster from a live show of this era.

The album kicks you in the face with that opening drum fill in Where Eagles Dare.  I didn't initially care for Revelations but grew to love it -- primarily after Live after Death was released.  Icarus came next, and some of the subtle bass fills and Harris's tone are so good.  Die with Your Boots On is another kick ass song.

I had bought the POM picture disc, so side one close not with DWYBO, but with Cross-Eyed Mary, which is one of my favorite cover songs of all time.

Then side 2 starts with The Trooper.  Check this out for the best cover version ever (the video on the other hand....):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8cN9skvK8o&list=FL3rjktGL2mDM8lsvkjqi0FQ&index=21&t=0s

Still Life is my least favorite song on the album, although I've warmed up to it recently.  For the life of me, I don't understand the hate for QFF.  Sun and Steel is sort of a shorter, faster version of The Trooper.  I love Dave Murray's solo.

The album closes with my favorite Maiden song of all time:  To Tame a Land.  The bit in 3/4 at the start of the instrumental section kicks so much ass it's unbelievable.  I remember spending hours and hours learning to play that properly.  I even like the lyrics, even though I've never read any of the Dune books or seen any screen adaptations.