Author Topic: "Classic" album appreciation thread - the '80s  (Read 40153 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: "Classic" album appreciation thread - the '80s
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2019, 06:31:39 PM »
I loved Master Of Puppets when I was first getting into Metalica but I rarely listen to it these days. I don't know if it's just overplayed to me or my tastes have changed a bit.

Controversial opinion: the middle section of Orion is the highlight of MoP

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2019, 06:56:46 PM »
I'm out Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.  Probably won't post another album until Monday.  So I'm thinking about dropping two tomorrow.

One of them may or may not be Warrant.   :biggrin:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2019, 07:00:22 PM »
You're going to drop a two tomorrow? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2019, 07:01:07 PM »
Tim, go take your metamucil and quit bothering people.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2019, 07:01:52 PM »
 :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2019, 07:12:10 PM »
Looking forward to the Debbie Gibson and Belinda Carlisle features tomorrow!! :tup :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2019, 07:14:15 PM »
I got a large bottle of Metamucil. You can have some, Kev.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2019, 10:28:08 PM »
Looking forward to the Debbie Gibson and Belinda Carlisle features tomorrow!! :tup :tup

Don't be ridiculous.  Belinda Carlisle solo is so bush league.  Tiffany all the way, dude.  "I think we're alone now....".  :metal

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2019, 03:55:35 AM »

Don't be ridiculous.  Belinda Carlisle solo is so bush league.  Tiffany all the way, dude.  "I think we're alone now....".  :metal
"bush league" :D? what do you mean by that, bosk? Regardless, you cracked me up there. Thank you.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2019, 04:50:39 AM »

On a side note, Belinda's first solo album was produced by Andy Taylor. Guitarist from Duran Duran. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2019, 08:39:51 AM »
Okay, here is 1 of 2 for today:

Michael Jackson - Thriller

Songs:
-Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
-Baby Be Mine
-The Girl is Mine
-Thriller
-Beat It
-Billie Jean
-Human Nature
-PYT
-The Lady in my Life

Nine songs.  Seven hit singles.  SEVEN HIT SINGLES!  All of which charted in the top 10 in the U.S., and there were a lot of #1's in that batch.  This album was EVERYWHERE.  I don't think I even owned a copy.  But you didn't have really have to.  If you listened to MTV, or listened to the radio...heck, if you even went outside any place that they were playing music, you could not avoid this album.  Something from it was always playing somewhere.  And for good reason.  The songs are stellar.  Yeah, he used some outside writers.  But when you've got guys like Quincy Jones, Rod Temperton, Steve Porcaro (Toto), and James Ingram helping write your songs, you are definitely going to have some hits in there. 

This album was just so groundbreaking in so many ways, whether it be for the epic video for the title song, the critical acclaim, the role it played in race relations, or what have you.  Whatever one's views of Michael Jackson as a person now that we know more of the darker things about his life, this is a fantastic album.  It is well-deserving of the status it held back then and still holds today, IMO.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2019, 09:26:37 AM »

Songs:
-Baby Be Mine
-The Girl is Mine
-Thriller
-Beat It
-Billie Jean
-Human Nature
-PYT
-The Lady in my Life

Nine songs.  Seven hit singles.  SEVEN HIT SINGLES!  All of which charted in the top 10 in the U.S., and there were a lot of #1's in that batch.  This album was EVERYWHERE.  I don't think I even owned a copy.  But you didn't have really have to.  If you listened to MTV, or listened to the radio...heck, if you even went outside any place that they were playing music, you could not avoid this album.  Something from it was always playing somewhere.  And for good reason.  The songs are stellar.  Yeah, he used some outside writers.  But when you've got guys like Quincy Jones, Rod Temperton, Steve Porcaro (Toto), and James Ingram helping write your songs, you are definitely going to have some hits in there. 

This album was just so groundbreaking in so many ways, whether it be for the epic video for the title song, the critical acclaim, the role it played in race relations, or what have you.  Whatever one's views of Michael Jackson as a person now that we know more of the darker things about his life, this is a fantastic album.  It is well-deserving of the status it held back then and still holds today, IMO.
not my favourite MJ album (that is Bad), but Thriller is what it is and it's not to be messed with (as is Bad). Half of Toto worked on Thriller too, so it has a special place in my collection. Thank you Eddie Van Halen as well.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2019, 09:30:15 AM »
Even my parents have Thriller on vinyl.

Great album. Not one I really ever listen to, but I know the songs, and it's a very good record. Also, yeah, big props to the guys in Toto who lent their magic to it.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2019, 09:31:31 AM »
Can you imagine that this album to me is totally unknown?

I know that Thriller had a zombie dance video. And I can't tell right now how Billie Jean goes, but I'll probably recognize it if I listen to it. The rest is a blank (it probably contains some songs I don't know that I know).

I wasn't there in the moment and I never listened to MJ anyway so by the time I started to watch MTV, 1994-95, the timeframe for the album had already passed, so I guess I'm a rare case of non-Thriller exposure. I don't even recognize half of the titles from the list.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2019, 09:35:30 AM »
I never owned a MJ album, but I know his hits and therefore a lot of this album.  I've always enjoyed a lot of his music.  Not something I talk about, but if a song came on, you'd see me sing along.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2019, 12:26:39 PM »
So in the 80s I was on the hair metal side of the fence, so I had never heard a Master of Puppets until I began chatting with you guys on this website. I missed out. It’s a great album, simple as that. Had I heard it back in the day I may have loved it - I was a fan of early Anthrax but that was as heavy as I got at that time. Oh yeah, and when I did hear the album for the first time it was the DT version 😀

Michael Jackson? It’s pop so Of very little interest to me, though I accept it’s probably a classic of its genre.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2019, 01:02:43 PM »
Second one for today:

Dio - Holy Diver

Songs:
-Stand Up and Shout
-Holy Diver
-Gypsy
-Caught in the Middle
-Don't Talk To Strangers
-Straight Through the Heart
-Invisible
-Rainbow in the Dark
-Shame on the Night

I can't even remember the last time I listened to this album.  It has been a LONG time.  And yet, I can distinctly remember quite a few of the songs beyond the singles.  I think that is a great testament to the strength of the songwriting. 

In any case, I remember when this album came out.  I didn't really know anything about Dio as an artist at this time.  I hadn't followed Rainbow or Sabbath, so I didn't even know who he was.  He was just this angry dude with that Rainbow in the Dark song on MTV.  Little did I know how much that song would grow on me.  I can't remember exactly how or specifically why, but I picked up the album.  I think it was probably after my 8th grade "senior" picnic, because I remember being on the bus on the ride home from that, and one of the other kids was blasting it on his boombox, and I was loving it. 

The opening of Stand Up and Shout is fantastic.  This and We Rock might just be my two favorite Dio songs.  But plenty of other good stuff on this album as well, like the title track, Caught in the Middle, Don't Talk To Strangers, and Straight Through the Heart, many of which are still set staples in both of the current Dio tribute bands out there. 

Unfortunately, while I liked the odd song here and there going forward, this is the last Dio album that I liked. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 01:41:19 PM by bosk1 »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2019, 01:13:56 PM »
A phenomenal album.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #88 on: July 10, 2019, 01:18:55 PM »
Masterpiece of an album. Just think of what Dio accomplished since 1976 to 1983 - he joined Rainbow and took part in monumental and historical albums such as the debut, Rising and Long Live Rn'R, then he went on with Black Sabbath doing Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules, and right after that he did Holy Diver!!!

Another album I didn't live in the time (heck, I was 4), but that is chock full of glorious songs. The only "downside", if it can be, is that the songs are so famous and so overplayed live that at a certain point you take them all for granted, but this is a standout record.

The four ultra famous songs - Stand Up and Shout, Holy Diver, Don't Talk to Strangers and Rainbow in the Dark - are timeless masterpieces of the genre. Coming behind we have the haunting ending of Shame on the Night and the energetic Straight through the Heart. Gypsy and Caught in the Middle are also good and sadly overlooked, while Invisible I guess has the unfortunate role of the "lesser" track on here.

Many of these songs have been covered many times (go listen Blind Guardian's version of Strangers), and shall live on as classics of the genre and of Dio the artist.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2019, 01:21:47 PM »
I've mentioned this before, but there was a metal radio show that I used to listen to back then. I knew Dio from Rainbow and Black Sabbath, but was not aware that he had a new album coming out. I remember Stand Up And Shout and Straight Through The Heart being played. I was really blown away. Don't Talk To Strangers is still my all time favorite Dio (Dio band) song.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2019, 01:33:33 PM »
Second one for today:

Dio - Holy Diver

Songs:
-Stand Up and Shout
-Holy Diver
-Gypsy
-Caught in the Middle
-Don't Talk To Strangers
-Straight Through the Heart
-Invisible
-Rainbow in the Dark
-Shame on the Night

I can't even remember the last time I listened to this album.  It has been a LONG time.  And yet, I can distinctly remember quite a few of the songs beyond the singles.  I think that is a great testament to the strength of the songwriting. 

In any case, I remember when this album came out.  I didn't really know anything about Dio as an artist at this time.  I hadn't followed Purple or Sabbath, so I didn't even know who he was.  He was just this angry dude with that Rainbow in the Dark song on MTV.  Little did I know how much that song would grow on me.  I can't remember exactly how or specifically why, but I picked up the album.  I think it was probably after my 8th grade "senior" picnic, because I remember being on the bus on the ride home from that, and one of the other kids was blasting it on his boombox, and I was loving it. 

The opening of Stand Up and Shout is fantastic.  This and We Rock might just be my two favorite Dio songs.  But plenty of other good stuff on this album as well, like the title track, Caught in the Middle, Don't Talk To Strangers, and Straight Through the Heart, many of which are still set staples in both of the current Dio tribute bands out there. 

Unfortunately, while I liked the odd song here and there going forward, this is the last Dio album that I liked.
again, a great album. Recorded at Sound City (which was known for that great room sound, especially for drum recording). Ronnie is on fire on that album IMHO (IIRC, James likes it too, I could be wrong though) and he still is one of my favourite male singers. Sorry it's the only Dio album you like, bosk. I for one quite like Sacred Heart as well.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2019, 02:11:18 PM »
I never owned a MJ album, but I know his hits and therefore a lot of this album.  I've always enjoyed a lot of his music.  Not something I talk about, but if a song came on, you'd see me sing along.

I had "Off the Wall" on vinyl when I was in Jr. High (probably in a box somewhere now).  Loved it!  Later on I got Thriller on CD.  Loved that too.  Those are the only MJ albums I own.  :biggrin:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2019, 02:21:56 PM »
Such a great album. DIO could do no wrong around this time. I loved him in Rainbow, he made me a Sabbath fan when I didn’t really like them before he joined, them solo. This was a great start to a great run of albums to Dream Evil. after that I didn’t like much else he did to be honest.

DIO is truly one of the greats.

Viv Campbell was a revelation on Holy Diver. Such fire in his playing. It was the age of the pinched harmonic and Viv was right there. I played the shit out of this album.

Don’t Talk To Strangers is my favourite song but really there’s nothing out of place here.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2019, 03:44:48 PM »

Songs:
-Baby Be Mine
-The Girl is Mine
-Thriller
-Beat It
-Billie Jean
-Human Nature
-PYT
-The Lady in my Life

Thriller and the first four singles were released during my sophomore year of high school, which is right about the time I was getting into hard rock/metal.  Around that same time, I was adopting the attitude that anything that wasn't rock or metal was complete crap.  At some point, I told the girl in front of me in homeroom that, if I could kill anyone without consequence, it would be Michael Jackson.  I can still remember her very justified, "what the fuck, dude?" look in response.  Imagine how something like that would go over today!

In retrospect, I think Billie Jean and Beat It are really good songs, and Thriller is kind of a fun novelty song.  Nothing else really resonates for me, and there are 3-4 songs that I can't think of what they sound like just by the title.

Second one for today:

Dio - Holy Diver

Now we're talkin'!!

This was released toward the end of my sophomore year, but I don't think I really got into it until the start of my junior year -- probably coinciding with the release of the Rainbow in the Dark music video on MTV (which I think was October 1983).  There was a VERY small group of overt metal fans at my school, and there was one guy who wasn't part of that group, but who liked Dio, who would always flash us the horns  and say "Dio!" in a very exaggerated manner.  I didn't see my first concert until April 1984 (Ozzy and Ratt), and Dio was the fourth concert in November 1984 (Last in Line tour with Rough Cutt).

As far as the album itself, Gypsy and Shame on the Night are the (relative) "weak links," but everything else is a 5-star song.  Stand up and Shout opened the album like a freight train.  Holy Diver has a cool groove.  Caught in the Middle was my initial favorite (that opening riff).  Don't Talk to Strangers has great dynamics and was soooo good live.  Straight through the heart has great drumming from Vinny.  Invisible and Rainbow keep the energy up.  Shame on the Night is a bit plodding for my taste, but the very end is quite cool.  I always loved how RJD could effortlessly ad lib to the end of a song, and this was my intro to that and my gateway to go back and discover his two Sabbath albums and the first three Rainbow albums.

Interesting.  I think every successive album was a steady decline -- until Lock up the Wolves, which was near-complete garbage and the last Dio album I bought, but I think both The Last in Line and Sacred Heart compare favorably as a whole.  We Rock (TLIL) and King of Rock and Roll (SH) continued the tradition of killer opening tracks.  I Speed at Night (TLIL) is, IMO, an early example of speed metal and kicks serious ass.  One Night in the City (TLIL) compares favorably to Don't Talk to Strangers.  Evil Eyes is a very underrated track, and Mystery is sort of the analog to Rainbow in the Dark.  Egypt (The Chains Are On) is an even more plodding analog to Shame on the Night.  Sacred Heart has fewer really good songs, but King (mentioned earlier), Rock 'n' Roll Children and Just Another Day are excellent.  Hungry for Heaven is oddly duplicative of Mystery (if another band had done it, it would have been considered a ripoff).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2019, 05:03:45 PM »
I thought for sure I would open this thread and see a post by TAC saying he had never heard a single song off Thriller before. :P

Never much of a fan of Dio, although Holy Diver is a good tune.

Back to Thriller, this is as big a classic as you will find in music anywhere.  A few of the songs have not aged well for me, but it's still a heckuva record.  I doubt we will ever see an album dominate again like this one did.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2019, 05:23:28 PM »
I thought for sure I would open this thread and see a post by TAC saying he had never heard a single song off Thriller before. :P

Aw, that's not right! :P

Thriller is what it is. It's undeniable.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2019, 05:53:54 PM »
I never checked out the Dio album despite seeing it talked about everywhere.

Thriller was such a monster album, to me it seemed very rare to come across and album with all the songs being the same caliber.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2019, 07:16:17 PM »
Billie Jean is an amazing song.  And the live performance where he moonwalked for the first time is incredible (3:38 in this video).  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d17ggav1Lto  Nobody in the world could move like Michael.  And the videos for Thriller and Beat It are just iconic.  Even a metalhead like me has to respect the album and Michael's talent.

Dio - Holy Diver

Another fantastic record and just slamming from start to finish.  Rainbow in the Dark was one of the first rock and metal songs I remember hearing on the radio when I turned 16 and bought my first car, which only had a radio...not even a tape deck. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2019, 08:36:38 PM »
I owned Bad, though looking back, I cannot recall listening to it much. I think I listened to Weird Al's Fat more than anything of MJs.

Never got in Dio. No idea why.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #99 on: July 10, 2019, 09:13:25 PM »
There's a reason that Thiller is the greatest selling album of all time.  And there's a reason it isn't even close. Iconic and epic are oft overused words. Not in this case though.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2019, 11:02:44 PM »
Bonus content!!!

Y&T - Black Tiger

Songs:
-From the Moon
-Open Fire
-Don't Wanna Lose
-Hell or High Water
-Forever
-Black Tiger
-Barroom Boogie
-My Way or the Highway
-Winds of Change

If you like '70s and '80s hard rock and you aren't familiar, do yourself a favor and listen to this album from start to finish.  And if you are familiar, but haven't listened in awhile, do yourself a favor and listen to this album from start to finish.  There is a reason guys like Halford and Dio praised this as one of the greatest hard rock albums of all time, and Forever as the greatest rock anthem of all time.  Maybe they were right.  Maybe not.  But it is a great album.

Y&T were one of those bands that was always just on the cusp of hitting it big, but never had things break their way.  The list of bands that were discovered/signed opening up for them in the clubs of SF and LA is staggering, from Motley Crue, to Van Halen, to Metallica...and on and on.  These guys were a lot like King's X in that they never amassed that huge fanbase, but were very well known and respected among musicians.

They started out in the '70s, and toured all over California and other states with another fledgling '70s band by the name of Journey, which was also managed by Herbie Herbert.  They were all about that '70s rock sound, like Montrose, for example.  But in the mid-'80s, after several albums going gold, but missing platinum and that BIG break, they kinda lost their way trying to follow trends to make something happen.

Black Tiger kind of captures them in their prime.  The album is in some ways like Dark Side of the Moon, with some common musical themes and structuring appearing throughout the album to kind of loosely tie it together, even though it isn't a concept album and does not have an obvious theme.  Most of the songs are pretty tight.  The lyrics are all over the place.  Some are hard-hitting.  Others are just frivolous and fun. 

Highlight songs:
-From the Moon/Open Fire:  What a fantastic 1-2 punch to open the album.  This has been their go-to concert opener off and on through the years and there is a reason why.
-Hell or High Water:  Groovy, chunky, nasty riff.  Was the first song that jumped out at me when I first got the album.
-Forever:  If Halford praises it so highly, it must be good, right?  Probably THE song people think of when they think of this band.
-Black Tiger:  Some awesome guitar work all around.
-Winds of Change:  Perhaps my favorite power ballad of all time.  A couple of live renditions of this song that I witnessed were life-changing.

The only real downsides to this album are the vocal mix and production.  To me, their best sound was on the run from In Rock We Trust through Ten.  But this album showcases some incredible songwriting, especially for a relatively young band.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: July 10, 2019, 11:14:18 PM »
This band completely failed to register even the tiniest blip on my radar. I think the first time I ever heard of them was Bosk talking about them on this forum years ago.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2019, 12:26:20 AM »
Never really liked Thriller or Michael Jackson in general. Beat It, Billie Jean and Thriller are okay songs but I always had the feeling that the gimmicks surrounding this record (The Zombie video, Eddie Van Halen guest spot, Vincent Price, Moonwalk etc.) were more the focus than the music itself. And this record sounds so calculated, a product designed to generate hit after hit and to please the masses, mainstream to the max, but with little originality.

And all this (not so really new) rumours about his attitude to children have severely tainted what little love I had for his songs.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Ruba

« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2019, 01:47:45 AM »
If someone else wants to take a different era, have at it.  I'm only doing the '80s.  At least, for now.

Actually, I've been thinking about making a thread about 90s rock singles. I've just thought that usually KevShmev's been the guy for this kind of threads and I don't want to be stepping on his toes or anything. It's an era I like a lot and would have plenty of songs to discuss already, but if three appreciation/discussion threads running at the same time is too many, I understand.

As for the topic, Master of Puppets is one of the greatest metal albums of all time. Every single song is great, although Damage inc. is a notch below the rest. On any other classic Metallica album it would be one of the top tracks however.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2019, 01:54:07 AM »
Actually, I've been thinking about making a thread about 90s rock singles. I've just thought that usually KevShmev's been the guy for this kind of threads and I don't want to be stepping on his toes or anything. It's an era I like a lot and would have plenty of songs to discuss already, but if three appreciation/discussion threads running at the same time is too many, I understand.

I have no authority here but I say nonetheless: DO IT.

And: in before TAC says the 90s suck  :biggrin:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D