Author Topic: "Classic" album appreciation thread - the '80s  (Read 40152 times)

Offline Peter Mc

Re: "Classic" album appreciation thread - the '80s
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2019, 05:07:36 PM »
Never really heard any Cinderella. Was a huge Bon Jovi fan at this time though and I know Jon Bon Jovi really went out of his way to support them and helped get them signed I believe. Will have to give them a try some day.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2019, 02:16:14 AM »
Where's the next 80's album?? :P

Five days for Cinderella? That is like four and a half more days than they warrant. :lol :biggrin:

Warrant blows.

"I Saw Red" was a very underrated song.  Otherwise, I agree.

Clearly "Cherry Pie" is the greatest Warrant song.

And yes, I loved Long Cold Winter, nice to see this list starting with a real underrated gem.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2019, 08:27:45 AM »
WE'RE NOT DOING WARRANT!!!    >:(

...yet.   :biggrin:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2019, 08:50:55 AM »
I'm going to update the OP so that it has links to the beginning of the discussion for each album.  That said...

Next album up:  Metallica - Master of Puppets

Release date:     March 3, 1986

Songs:
"Battery"
"Master of Puppets"
"The Thing That Should Not Be"
"Welcome Home (Sanitarium)"
"Disposable Heroes"
"Leper Messiah"
"Orion"
"Damage, Inc."

Before I take this thread completely down a path that shows my musical bias during this era, I intend to go pretty broad and cover some different things.  And at the time, Metallica seemed VERY different to me.  I was into what was described at the time as "hard rock" and "heavy metal."  But thrash was sort of a different animal.  Up to this point, I had heard of Metallica, but I don't believe I had heard any of their music.  My buddy Alex picked up Puppets on vinyl and spun it constantly. 

As for me...let's just say I didn't get it.  At least, not right away.  But one song in particular did stand out to me and stick with me, and that was Orion.  I was positively fascinated with how an instrumental could convey just as much anger and menace as a song with a vocalist screaming lyrics that were angry and menacing.  And at the same time, it was also beautiful and melodic.  I remember having Alex tape this song for me, and I listened to it quite a bit, which I think eventually opened me up to Metallica's overall sound. 

It was not really until AJFA that I really started to more fully open up to their sound and what they were about.  But looking back, I can definitely appreciate what MOP was doing and how great an album it is. 

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2019, 09:03:51 AM »
Cinderella - I have a greatest hits compilation and never cared to listen to any of their records beyond that.  Gypsy Road is awesome.  Don't Know What You've Got is ok, but too overplayed for me. 

Metallica - Master of Puppets

I turned 13 in 1993 and got a CD player/ boombox for my birthday.  I was a huge Metallica fan, having discovered the black album a year or two earlier, and only had that album on cassette.   So the first order of business was to GET METALLICA CD'S!  I think I acquired most of the first 4 albums that summer through Christmas.  Definitely Kill Em All (in a longbox) and Ride The Lightning first, and then Master of Puppets.  This was also back when stores kept CD's in the locked plastic security sleeves that were the size of a longbox. 

I was too young to get into the musicality of it but the power and aggression spoke to me as a new metal fan.  I remember playing basketball in the driveway with my brother and friends and absolutely blasting Master of Puppets on my boombox during that summer  They were my favorite band and I have always loved this album, ranking it second behind Justice.  I still have the same copy that I got 26 years ago, which is scratched to hell from all of the love I gave it over the years.   :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2019, 09:18:38 AM »
I have a feeling that I was a bit the same as bosk...........wasn't into music this heavy when it first came out but Orion got me on board to a degree and then I became a fan later as my tastes heavied up a bit.

However I found AJFA a bit of a disappointment
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2019, 09:45:50 AM »
I like Battery and Master of Puppets; the rest of the album is forgettable to me personally. I'm a KEA, RTL kind of dude. Those albums slay and Metallica lost their balls after them  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2019, 11:27:29 AM »
I remember my next door neighbor lending me a cassette dub of what ended up being side 1 of MoP and I played it repeatedly. Just absolutely blew my mind. I remember a kid in one of my classes (8th grade) used to wear Motley Crue shirts, but by then had moved on to Metallica and Voi Vod, so I was curious to hear what Metallica sounded like and I loved it! Can't remember how long it took for me to hear the rest of the album, but that was a game changer for me - still my favorite Metallica album. The only track I could never really get into (and still really don't to this day) is Damage, Inc. That song just never did anything for me at all, altho I'm also more likely to skip TTTSNB than in the past.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2019, 11:51:50 AM »
I didn't live Master of Puppets, so I came to it only when I became a fan in the mid '90s and explored the back catalogue.

While I love it and I will never argue with anyone that praises it to no end, my personal preference goes to Ride the Lightning. That's what I'd call the best Metallica album, knowing I'm in the minority. But Master is and remains a masterpiece and aside from Leper Messiah, I'm down for any song of it being played live. Not that LM is bad, it's just that if I had a choice over the setlist of my next Metallica show, I'd hardly consider that song.

Favorite songs: Master, Damage INC (what a riot to hear it as penultimate song at my first Metallica concert!), Disposable Heroes, Sanitarium.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2019, 12:25:43 PM »
I like a couple of their songs, but was never in to Metallica or thrash in general.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2019, 02:08:23 PM »
So in 1983 when Kill 'Em All came out, I heard Hit The Lights on the radio and bought it right away. I really liked it. But when Ride The Lightning came out, I just thought it was different. I did not like Fight Fire With Fire, and the NWOBHM influence was gone. At least hat's how I felt as a 15 y/o. I was into Maiden, UFO, Dio. As much as I liked KEA, I spent my latter high school years not being into speed or thrash metal. I just wasn't into what I thought was ...I don't know..that culture.

I had tix for the Ozzy/Metallica show in '86. I remember borrowing the album from one of the kids I was going with. I just didn't connect.
Unfortunately the show was cancelled.

The following summer, two major releases changed my total outlook. One was Helloween's Keepers Pt.1. The other was actually Metallica's Garage Days Rerevisited. I thought it was a cool cover photo. It looked like fun, where their music did not feel that way. I know it was a covers EP, but I fell in love with it. I started to enjoy the band again, and Helloween helped open me up to the speed factor.

I was back in on Metallica big time, and Master Of Puppets is due all of the accolades it receives.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2019, 05:14:46 PM »
I didn't hear Master of Puppets until 1996, and my fear going in was that it was not going to live up to the hype, but it did.  It manages to be heavy as heck and still be melodic, which is not easy to pull off, and I do think the album benefited big time by the 80's production.  Had it been recorded in the 90's or later, some of those melodies might have gotten lost amongst the more modern day production values, but the warmth of that 80's-style mix really brings them out.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2019, 06:04:04 PM »
Was probably at my peak of fandom when this came out, so yeah that scratched the itch. Usually skip Thingy and Sanitarium, but  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2019, 07:14:13 PM »
I have always skipped The Thing That Should Not Be. Probably my least favorite Metallica tune from the Classic Era.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2019, 07:30:21 PM »
The Thing That Should Not Be is great.

Jeez, Tim, even with an album like Master of Puppets, you still manage to fail. :P

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2019, 07:36:25 PM »
I call it The Song That Should Not Be.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2019, 07:38:17 PM »
I call you The Poster Who Should Not Be.

:P :P

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2019, 07:39:33 PM »
 :lol :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2019, 08:41:40 PM »
I was waiting in line when MoP first came out.   I was....so....floored.   

This was my first new album as an already rabid Metallica fan.   

My Metallica experience started with Ride the Lightning.   The re-release on Elektra happened in late 1984, and I bought it off the new release rack just because of the cool band name and cool album cover.   To be honest, I hated it at first.   Fight Fire With Fire was my first exposure to thrash (I had never heard anything heavier than Shout at the Devil until then) and I thought it was a dumpster fire.    But Creeping Death hooked me, and then FWtBT, and then FtB, and then....everything else.   Pretty soon, I had played it until the grooves had worn out.   It completely changed my taste in metal.    I pretty much stopped buying everything major label (except the "big 4" that had just been signed) and almost exclusively bought albums that were on Combat, Metal Blade, Megaforce and Shrapnel.   "The Best of Metal Blade" and "Metal Massacre" albums became the blueprint of every band I would be into for the next 6-7 years.   

So when MoP came out....I was ecstatic.    Still hard to believe I was right in the thick of it for the release of one of the greatest metal albums of all time.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2019, 10:48:20 PM »
what an album.  #3 on my top 50 list.  My friend Billy was into heavier and more "underground" music and I remember being fascinated by the album cover.  This and RTL were on constant rotation as we played games on the NES.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2019, 11:39:22 PM »
I like Metallica but I don't love them and this record, while I acknowledge its influence and its status as an alltime classic, is no different. Good but not great. The title track is stellar, some of the other songs are really good (Thing, Sanitarium), but I can't stand Battery. Every other band I know does these fast paced thrash songs better, imo. Orion and Heroes are good but too long. The rest is okay I guess.

Part of the reason why I'm not rabid about Metallica is that I don't like Lars' drumming style, I just can't connect with that. And Kirk even back then was/is a joke of a solo guitar player.

My favorite Metallica record is Load, so come at me.  ;D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2019, 03:00:14 AM »
I had discovered metal around 1982 via Sabbath, Kiss, Rush, Maiden and Priest.
Then came along RTL and it was the fastest, heaviest and most brutal music I had ever heard.
There was a lot of hype for this record in the media, remember back then no internet, no YT or file swapping.
Back then we swapped cassettes, borrowed and taped records and through word of mouth.

I always preferred RTL over MoP, not sure why, probably in my mind a stronger overall record and one that totally transformed my musical world.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2019, 07:38:56 AM »
I personally prefer RTL as well.  But I don't think that takes away from MOP and its classic status.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2019, 08:11:46 AM »
I didn't become a fan until the re-load album as I was only a kid, but once I got this album and RTL, I fell in love with Metallica and their 80s material much more than the 90s stuff that I had been introduced to.  I still like RTL more, but I always find both albums to be stellar and like twins, they go together in my mind.  I think MOP still stands the test of time too, RTL sounds a bit more dated (although I love it) MOP still sounds good and relevant today. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2019, 08:33:26 AM »
I think if you eliminated the two least best songs from both MoP and RtL, they would be equals, but the least best two songs off MoP are still great, while Trapped Under Ice is just solid and Escape is pretty weak.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2019, 08:47:17 AM »
I like Escape. IMO the only weak tracks on RTL bookend the record - Fight Fire With Fire lacks a hook and riffs as strong as the rest of the record, and Call of Ktulu is just kind of there so the album ends on a whimper.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2019, 09:15:06 AM »
I think if you eliminated the two least best songs from both MoP and RtL, they would be equals, but the least best two songs off MoP are still great, while Trapped Under Ice is just solid and Escape is pretty weak.

While on one hand I completely understand doing these comparisons, I'd say that in some cases what matters most is the vibe of the albums, the way the songs speak to you, the memories you have tied to that record even, all things more important than a "logical" back to back comparison. Piece of Mind will always be my favorite Maiden album, and no amounts of dinosaurs walking the earth can change that.

I like Escape. IMO the only weak tracks on RTL bookend the record - Fight Fire With Fire lacks a hook and riffs as strong as the rest of the record, and Call of Ktulu is just kind of there so the album ends on a whimper.

Whimper? the final minutes of Call of Ktulu and especially the very ending (after the reprise of the initial riff) are a whimper? that's one of the most kickass ways to end an album!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2019, 09:20:12 AM »
Yes, and yes.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2019, 09:22:08 AM »
I never listen to Ktulu, even back in the day.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2019, 09:24:20 AM »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2019, 09:42:18 AM »
Orion and Ktulu are both good instrumentals, but neither are what get me really going when thinking about Metallica or MOP/RTL. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2019, 12:26:35 PM »
Orion and Ktulu are both good instrumentals, but neither are what get me really going when thinking about Metallica or MOP/RTL.

Exactly. Throw in To Live Is To Die, and even in the 80's their instrumentals were being criticized as being too plodding.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2019, 12:30:22 PM »

You heathen!

Whimper? the final minutes of Call of Ktulu and especially the very ending (after the reprise of the initial riff) are a whimper? that's one of the most kickass ways to end an album!

Seriously.  Ktulu destroys!  Such an amazing build up and ending.

As far as MOP, it was my first new Metallica record.  I remember hearing the "world premiere" of Sanitarium on 105.5 KNAC in LA, and I was slightly disappointed.  I bought the album, and my opinions about the songs haven't changed too much over the years.

Battery:  GREAT song.  Just power all the way through.

MOP:  GREAT song.  Love the time changes in the verses.  My band used to play this one.

Thing:  Never liked it.

Sanitarium:  Despite my initial disappointment, I grew to love it.

Heroes:  One of my favorites right off the bat, but I don't find myself listening to it much anymore.

Messiah:  Never liked it.

Orion:  Didn't care for it initially, but I grew to dig it.

Damage:  Love it.  Nicely bookends the album with Battery.

As I've posted elsewhere, I saw Metallica open for Ozzy in June 1986.  The blew Ozzy off the stage.  One of my most memorable concerts from back in the day.

I rank this album just slightly ahead of RTL, but it's really close.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2019, 12:37:50 PM »
I'm actually kind of surprised at all the negativity toward Thing.  I mean, I'm not saying you can't like it.  But I'm not sure I've actually heard anyone say out loud before this that they didn't like it, so it's surprising to me that that seems to be the unanimous opinion here. 

Anyway, I've always thought it was kinda cool.  :dunno:

Offline max_security

« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2019, 12:44:56 PM »
I was really into other music when Master was released but I always did think it was a fantastic album. I really enjoy the entire B side , Disposable - Damage.