Author Topic: "Classic" album appreciation thread - the '80s  (Read 40119 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
"Classic" album appreciation thread - the '80s
« on: July 02, 2019, 12:07:39 PM »
I think we were going to do something like this awhile back, but it never took off.  Maybe this thread won't either.  Anyhow, here's what I'm thinking:  I'm listening to a "classic" album from the '80s that got me thinking, so I'll post about it, and we'll discuss for a few days until the discussion seems about done, and then I'll post another one.  If someone else wants to take a different era, have at it.  I'm only doing the '80s.  At least, for now.

Albums discussed in the thread so far:
-Cinderella - Long Cold Winter
-Metallica - Master of Puppets
-Michael Jackson - Thriller
-Dio - Holy Diver
-Y&T - Black Tiger
-Corey Hart - Boy in the Box
-Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
-Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind
-Journey - Escape
-U2 - The Joshua Tree
-ZZ Top - Eliminator
-Scorpions - Blackout
-Guns n Roses - Appetite for Destruction
-Def Leppard - Pyromania
-Duran Duran - Rio
-AC/DC - Back in Black
-Prince - Purple Rain
-Megadeth - Rust in Peace
-Stryper - To Hell with the Devil
-Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair
-Depeche Mode - Music for the Masses
-Whitesnake - s/t (1987)
-Motley Crue - Shout At the Devil
-Exposé - Exposure
-Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast
-Metallica - ...And Justice for All
-Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
-The Cars - Heartbeat City
-Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet
-Warrant - Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinkin' Rich

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First album up for discussion:

Cinderella - Long Cold Winter

Release date:  May 21, 1988

Songs:
"Bad Seamstress Blues/Fallin' Apart at the Seams"
"Gypsy Road"
"Don't Know What You Got (Till It's Gone)"
"The Last Mile"
"Second Wind"
"Long Cold Winter"
"If You Don't Like It"
"Coming Home"
"Fire and Ice"
"Take Me Back"

When Night Songs came out, a friend of mine was all in on Cinderella.  It took me a bit longer, but I came around as well.  Long Cold Winter came out right at the time I was graduating high school, and it quickly developed a very special place in my heart. 

I bought the album right away, and I remember the video for Gypsy Road dropping right away.  My parents sent me on a cheap trip to Hawaii for my graduation, and I remember my friend Dave and I seeing the video while we were over there.  It was odd but fun seeing Tom Keifer and the guys posing out in the snow in this "new" video while Dave and I were beach bumming.

I left for boot camp about two weeks after that, so no music for me for the next 12 weeks.  But I had already memorized quite a few of the songs.  They were just that catchy.  And for that 12-week period, those songs rattled around in my mind.

After boot camp, I got a week at home with my friends and family before reporting to North Carolina for my school and permanent duty station.  During that time, this album and Appetite for Destruction were blazing up the charts, and the songs were in constant rotation on MTV and on jukeboxes at the local hangouts.  It seemed like Don't Know What You've Got, The Last Mile, and Coming Home were always playing.  And as great as those songs are, I didn't mind at all.  And the coming winter fit the album well and made it seem all the more appropriate.

During the brief time I was home during this time, I played the album a lot as I was spending my limited precious time with my friends, family, and my girl back home.  That really cemented these songs in my mind emotionally.  And when the girlfriend eventually called it quits on the long-distance relationship in favor of someone closer to home, it made Don't Know What You've Got sting even more and seem like an old familiar friend who is there to help get you through it.

Overall, this was a great time in my life.  It was one that was filled with change and new experiences.  And this album was a huge part of it.  From the first listen, I fell in love with the combo of Bad Seamstress Blues/Fallin' Apart at the Seams.  SUCH a strong way to start off the album.  And with my love of that '80s guitar rock sound, this was right up my alley.  The singles from the album were all outstanding.  But so were the deep tracks.  Second Wind is a solid rocker, and great way to end "side 1" (yeah, cassettes were where it was at).  Long Cold Winter was a bit of an odd one for me, but I LOVED Keifer's guitar work once the solo section started toward the end.  If You Don't Like It never really hit me like the other tunes, but it isn't bad.  Fire and Ice was pretty cool and kind of served to pump you up for the album closing.  Take Me Back was a nice, nostalgic-feeling tune to close the album, and this is one instance where a fadeout REALLY seems appropriate.

All-in-all, this is one of my favorite albums from the '80s.  It showed a remarkable amount of growth in the band's songwriting, while also being incredibly mainstream and accessible.  And the band had a unique sound that made them stand out.  I loved this album back then.  And when I dust it off and spin it now, I find that it holds up remarkably well.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 01:44:58 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: "Classic" album appreciation thread - the '80s
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 12:16:16 PM »
I LOVE this album.  I'm a huge Cinderella fan and actually listen to them often to this day.   

I got into them seeing them on their first tour, opening for David Lee Roth on his "Eat 'Em And Smile" tour, and they really stuck out ("Nobody's Fool" is perfect for an arena) and I had a chance to see them at the Electric Factory in Philly headlining.  They only played about an hour and a half, likely due to Tom's voice, but it was a solid 09 minutes, and they played six songs from this album.   

For me, it's probably the best representation of Cinderella; the first album is more metal, the third album (by FAR my least favorite) is more Stones/Small Faces ("Shelter Me" is almost unlistenable to me) but this is the perfect blend of a little metal, a little blues, a little glam... 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 12:21:55 PM »
...but this is the perfect blend of a little metal, a little blues, a little glam... 

I agree.  To me, Night Songs is them trying to make it as a new band and being influenced by the industry at the time.  LCW is them incorporating their bluesier roots and stretching toward the sound and identity they wanted to have.  Heartbreak Station is them casting off the shackles and just sounding like they want to sound, no matter what anybody else said (with Still Climbing being similar, but maybe dialing it back just a bit toward '80s commercial).  LCW is where they really succeeded in writing solid songs that captured that perfect blend you mentioned.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 12:27:58 PM »
Love LCW. I was only able to see Cinderella once. Opening for the Scorpions on Aug. 1, 2010, at the Sleep Train Pavilion, in Concord, CA. I had been a fan since first hearing LCW. I remember getting that album, and then my mother getting the cassette for Night Songs for me. Never really dug Heartbreak Station except for a couple of tunes. Same goes for Still Climbing.

But I could listen to LCW all day long, and a bunch of Night Songs. But agreed that LCW really is their pinnacle. Great stuff.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 12:32:55 PM »
I bought Night Songs first, in 1986, when I found out they were opening for Bon Jovi that Spring. I liked a bunch of tunes on the album, even if I didn't think it was a great album, on the whole.

I picked up Long Cold Winter when it came out, but honestly, I thought it was worse than Night Songs. In 1988, I was onto to more metal things like Helloween, Metallica, Megadeth, and Cinderella's style of music didn't really appeal to me. Plus, I thought Don't Know What You've Got was puke worthy.

It has been ages...decades actually since I've spun this. I may have to check it and report back to the thread.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 12:59:07 PM »
For me, you opened with a dud.

I can remember finding Night Songs in a record store and thinking the band looked really dumb.  At that point, I was reacting negatively to a lot of bands I liked turning toward a "glam" look, so this wasn't appealing to me at all.  And then I heard the songs and didn't like Tom Kiefer's voice at all.

Cinderella got a LOT of airplay on KNAC in southern California, though, and Long Cold Winter hit big.  I didn't like it any better, though, and looking at the track list, I can only recognize one song (Don't Know) by name.  I'd swear I saw Cinderella as an opening band at some point, but I can't figure out for whom.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 01:09:53 PM »
I can remember finding Night Songs in a record store and thinking the band looked really dumb.

Oh yeah?  Well...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XOWYe9TgaU

I'd swear I saw Cinderella as an opening band at some point, but I can't figure out for whom.

I never got the chance to see them live.  I do have their DVD from Detroit on...I think it was the Heartbreak Station tour.  On one hand, they put on a great show and had a lot of energy.  On the other hand, a lot of what I consider their best sound needs a lot of layering and studio touch-up to sound right, so the live sound was seriously lacking.  I dunno.  If they got back together and toured now, I probably wouldn't go out of my way to see them.  But I kind of wish I would have had the chance back in the day.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 01:15:14 PM »
I can remember finding Night Songs in a record store and thinking the band looked really dumb.

Oh yeah?  Well...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XOWYe9TgaU

That's bloody awesome.  Cinderella is now my favorite band!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2019, 01:42:41 PM »
  I'd swear I saw Cinderella as an opening band at some point, but I can't figure out for whom.

I saw them in '86 opening for Bon Jovi, and in the summer of '91 opening for David Lee Roth.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2019, 01:46:17 PM »
I was not a big fan of the band, but I owned this CD and loved it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2019, 01:49:53 PM »
I remember hearing "Coming Home" and wondering why Tom Keifer didn't sing less falsetto?  He had a great voice.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2019, 03:02:02 PM »
I can remember finding Night Songs in a record store and thinking the band looked really dumb.  At that point, I was reacting negatively to a lot of bands I liked turning toward a "glam" look, so this wasn't appealing to me at all.  And then I heard the songs and didn't like Tom Kiefer's voice at all.

The album cover for "Night Songs" was shot at the corner of 2nd Street and Pine St. in Philly, at what's called "Headhouse Square".   I lived about four, five blocks south, on the corner of 2nd and Christian (and the bar I mentioned in the thread about celebrities being dick's was in between, on 2nd and I can't remember the cross-street; I think it is Bainbridge). 

I never got the chance to see them live.  I do have their DVD from Detroit on...I think it was the Heartbreak Station tour.  On one hand, they put on a great show and had a lot of energy.  On the other hand, a lot of what I consider their best sound needs a lot of layering and studio touch-up to sound right, so the live sound was seriously lacking.  I dunno.  If they got back together and toured now, I probably wouldn't go out of my way to see them.  But I kind of wish I would have had the chance back in the day.

For a while, Keifer was trying to have his cake and eat it, touring behind his solo album but doing cruises and summer festival tours with the band.   Apparently LeBar was spending more time with a beer in his hand than a guitar, and there was beef.   I saw a video where LeBar basically said "well, I like to drink and I'm not going to quit for anybody", implying that perhaps Tom or the band told him to shape up or ship out.   As I said, I saw them a couple years ago, and it was really good.   Tom sounded good, if not a little more mellow, and the songs were just good quality live versions of the studio cuts. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2019, 03:43:29 PM »
Excellent album, great band. Saw them live a few times and always enjoyed them. They had a bit more substance than some of their peers and this is their best album, though I do like Heartbreak Station a fair bit.

I’m not a huge lover of Toms voice but it’s not a deal breaker.

Shit cover though 😀

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2019, 03:51:50 PM »
I did a classic 80's albums threads a while back, but it has been a while, and I am always in favor of more 80's threads.  :coolio :hat

As for Cinderella, I never checked out any of their full albums, and most of their hits have not aged well for me, so I don't have much to say about this other than Don't Know What You Got (Till It's Gone) was a song that seemingly every girl I knew in high school loved to pieces.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2019, 04:19:48 PM »

I saw them in '86 opening for Bon Jovi, and in the summer of '91 opening for David Lee Roth.

Those seemed like likely candidates, but I saw BJ in 89 with Skid Row and DLR in 88 with Poison.  Seems like Cinderella opened for AC/DC in LA in November 88, but I didn't go to that show.

I am always in favor of more 80's threads.  :coolio :hat

Ditto that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2019, 04:28:51 PM »
This is jumping back an album, but I thought Nobody's Fool was pretty sweet the first time I heard it, but then none of their other hits after that were as good to me, although I did like Somebody Save Me, which did have the cameo by Jon Bon Jovi at the end of its video.  Gypsy Road was played to death, but that was always just okay.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2019, 04:55:44 PM »
Kev, I had forgotten that you did a thread.  I guess I also sort of did a version of this here:  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=42605.msg1880004#msg1880004

But that was all a long time ago, and this is a bit different, so...  :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2019, 07:00:05 PM »
Yep, all good.  My thread was over four years ago (link below), so might as well get a new one!

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=43450.0

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2019, 08:14:34 PM »
Just dropped the needle on most of Long Cold Winter.

That's great Bosk that you connected with it. I mean, timing is everything.

I know they weren't you typical hair band. Similar to Kix, Cinderella was a long time bar band. So respect to that. But similar to Kix, that's really all they were.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2019, 05:35:32 AM »
I remember grabbing this album (due to the massive amount of radio play Don't Know What You Got was gettin), at a flea market I frequented to buy CDs... along with Slaughter/Stick It To Ya, and Queensryche/Empire.  How's that for a 3-pack of albums??

Can't say this got the amount of repeated listens that the other two did.  I'll give it a spin later today and see how it's aged.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2019, 07:55:24 AM »
I did a classic 80's albums threads a while back, but it has been a while, and I am always in favor of more 80's threads.  :coolio :hat

As for Cinderella, I never checked out any of their full albums, and most of their hits have not aged well for me, so I don't have much to say about this other than Don't Know What You Got (Till It's Gone) was a song that seemingly every girl I knew in high school loved to pieces.

Give it a shot, though Kev; Cinderella is one of those bands that for me, the singles are songs I endure to get to the good stuff.   With any of the bands I like, I usually listen to albums, but once in a while I'll put on a greatest hits just for a quick shot to the arm...  I bought the Cinderella greatest hits for a couple unreleased songs on there, and I never, ever listen to it.   "Shake Me" is my least favorite song on the first record, I can take or leave "Don't Know What You Got...", I've already said I despise "Shelter Me" off of Heartbreak Station (it's my go-to example of "what does 'cliche' mean?"), and "Hot & Bothered" off of Still Climbing is embarrassing.   The one single by them I do like is "Gypsy Road"; for whatever reason I love that song. 

But for me, Cinderella is an album band (and why, well, one of the reasons why, they weren't at the level of a Poison or a Ratt, even though in my view they are a better band).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2019, 12:53:20 PM »
With all due respect, it would take a very hard sell for me to even consider digging into Cinderella's deep cuts :P, especially since I already have a long list.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2019, 03:34:12 AM »
This thread seems like a cool idea, so I will definitely follow.

As for Cinderella, unlike Stadler I liked Shelter Me when it was played on MTV (one of the better Stones songs  ;)). Then I listened to Heartbreak Station and really liked it because of the bluesy feel and the slide guitars. Then I went back and listened to Long Cold Winter and Night Songs and while both records were okay, they didn't really grab me. They didn't have that bluesy feel (at least not that much) that set Heartbreak Station apart and were more in vein of other 80s hair-metal bands, imo not bad but not really outstanding.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2019, 04:35:46 AM »
I was a massive fan of Night Songs, I literally wore the cassette tape out through playing it too many times.
When LCW came out I really didn't like the blues influences and sounds at all.

It took me almost 30 years to appreciate this album, thanks to you tube clips mainly.
I bought a used copy a couple of months ago and really like it now.
Don't Know is a classic, and definitely Cinderella's Stairway To Heaven.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2019, 05:49:25 AM »
Just spun it yesterday.  I still adore the hits/singles, and found a new appreciation for the b-sides.  Great album.  Definitely increased the chances of me reaching for it out of the blue in the future.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2019, 08:53:10 PM »
I like the thread idea and I haven't heard that (or any) Cinderella album. I'll give it a spin tomorrow and post my thoughts.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2019, 09:00:52 AM »
This thread seems like a cool idea, so I will definitely follow.

As for Cinderella, unlike Stadler I liked Shelter Me when it was played on MTV (one of the better Stones songs  ;)). Then I listened to Heartbreak Station and really liked it because of the bluesy feel and the slide guitars. Then I went back and listened to Long Cold Winter and Night Songs and while both records were okay, they didn't really grab me. They didn't have that bluesy feel (at least not that much) that set Heartbreak Station apart and were more in vein of other 80s hair-metal bands, imo not bad but not really outstanding.

See, for me, since I wasn't really into the hair metal much, I though Cinderella rocked harder than the LA bands, and for me, the "Shelter Me" seemed more cliché and more a way of Cinderella joining the pack.  Every band seemed to have that "down homey", acoustic guitar song where the band played with funny hats and tried to show how heartfelt they were.  NOT power ballads, but songs like "Wanted Dead Or Alive", "Patience", "House of Pain" (Faster Pussycat), "Simple Man" (Junkyard)... Tesla barely gave an interview where they didn't talk about their "roots" on acoustic guitars.  And it just seemed so calculated to me. 

Maybe because I don't really like "blues" per se, and when I do, it's in the form of SRV or Billy Gibbons, who do it FAR better than some middle class dude from Ardmore, PA, but I liked it better when Cinderella just played hard rock.   

Though, "Don't Know What You Got" is essential, because how else would they get the big white piano to drop down from the ceiling (or rise up from below the stage) in concerts?  :).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2019, 09:09:31 AM »
Tesla barely gave an interview where they didn't talk about their "roots" on acoustic guitars.

Not to quibble with your overall post, but Tesla is a bad example for many reasons.  If you know anything about them, that really IS their roots.  Not to mention the fact that they were really the catalyst for what became MTV Unplugged.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2019, 09:12:17 AM »
Tesla barely gave an interview where they didn't talk about their "roots" on acoustic guitars.

Not to quibble with your overall post, but Tesla is a bad example for many reasons.  If you know anything about them, that really IS their roots.  Not to mention the fact that they were really the catalyst for what became MTV Unplugged.

No, I'll give you all that; but I didn't learn that until later.   All I knew then was "Modern Day Cowboy" (a great song, by the way, not ragging on it at all). 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2019, 06:53:27 AM »
Where's the next 80's album?? :P

Five days for Cinderella? That is like four and a half more days than they warrant. :lol :biggrin:

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2019, 07:23:37 AM »

Five days for Cinderella? That is like four and a half more days than they warrant. :lol :biggrin:

Warrant blows.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2019, 07:24:59 AM »
TAC will be along here soon to talk them up, I'm sure.  :lol :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2019, 11:39:47 AM »

Warrant blows.

"I Saw Red" was a very underrated song.  Otherwise, I agree.

Offline max_security

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2019, 11:46:05 AM »
Warrant was as good as any of the late 80's poser scene. Uncle Tom's Cabin was different than the typical " love ballad " typical of those bands.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2019, 11:56:07 AM »

Warrant blows.

"I Saw Red" was a very underrated song.  Otherwise, I agree.
.and Uncle Tom's Cabin.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC