Author Topic: "Classic" album appreciation thread - the '80s  (Read 40614 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: "Classic" album appreciation thread - the '80s
« Reply #210 on: July 23, 2019, 01:53:34 PM »
Bosk, how'd it happen?

Standard mail.  That was the only way Columbia House worked back then, as far as I know.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #211 on: July 23, 2019, 02:17:46 PM »
I knew Columbia House was run by the mafia.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #212 on: July 23, 2019, 02:26:44 PM »
One of two records I wish I got a lot earlier than I did (the other was the Dead, Europe '72).   The first girl I ever kissed loved Journey, and loved this album.   I didn't get it until literally decades later. 

"Still They Ride" is almost a perfect song, and I personally LOVE "Mother, Father".   I even like the ballad, "Open Arms", just because Perry sings his pants off. 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: July 23, 2019, 02:33:11 PM »
Journey had lost me by the point of this album, but Mother, Father is an awesome tune.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #214 on: July 23, 2019, 02:36:57 PM »
Never heard this album until the very end of 2012. I put it on during a game; I knew Don't Stop Believin' but none of the rest, and it just blew my mind, I couldn't even focus on the game because it was so good. The very best Journey record in my opinion, and each tune is a classic. "Mother, Father" is soooo good. Steve Perry doesn't have a single bad second of singing on this one. Amazing stuff. And only people without a soul dislike Open Arms.  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #215 on: July 23, 2019, 02:43:14 PM »
I'm not a Journey fan at all (firmly team Toto), but I can (and I do) respect Neal Schon's and Steve Smith's contributions to the music (Steve's approach to Don't Stop Believing and other Journey pieces on other albums was/is genius IMHO, he's one of my heroes as a drummer too) and I can also see why James seems to like Steve Perry as a singer.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #216 on: July 23, 2019, 02:45:21 PM »
All I had from Journey was the greatest hits package for the longest time.  Then I bought a couple of albums (including this one, naturally), then I bought most of the discography - except Raised on Radio.  I don't really know their early 70s output at all.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: July 23, 2019, 02:45:57 PM »
I'm not a Journey fan at all (firmly team Toto), but I can (and I do) respect Neal Schon's and Steve Smith's contributions to the music (Steve's approach to Don't Stop Believing and other Journey pieces on other albums was/is genius IMHO, he's one of my heroes as a drummer too) and I can also see why James seems to like Steve Perry as a singer.

The bolded is why I love Mother, Father so much. Even though Perry sings his ass off, the spine chilling moments are all delivered by Schon, IMO.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #218 on: July 23, 2019, 02:48:21 PM »
All I had from Journey was the greatest hits package for the longest time.  Then I bought a couple of albums (including this one, naturally), then I bought most of the discography - except Raised on Radio.  I don't really know their early 70s output at all.
that is somewhat based on the jazz fusion type thing that evolved from Neal Schon and Gregg Rolie both coming from the Santana band at the time, completely different from the Steve Perry era of albums

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: July 23, 2019, 02:48:48 PM »

Look into the Future, was my first, and is still my favorite Journey album, but I'm not sure if you'd dig it, Chad. It may be a bit too 70's art rock for you. You may want to give it a try, just in case.

..and. What Max said.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #220 on: July 23, 2019, 03:01:13 PM »
Journey had lost me by the point of this album, but Mother, Father is an awesome tune.
you better check out this piece here then: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfVg2Pankwg (ticks the boxes in line with what you love about early Journey while Steve Perry doesn't bug as it were)
Oh and: May your hand recover swiftly, bosk ok?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #221 on: July 23, 2019, 03:42:46 PM »
Sorry for the delay.  It's tough typing lost posts with a broken hand.  But onward...

What...you don't have feet?!   :biggrin:

Journey - Escape

Songs:
-Don't Stop Believin'
-Stone in Love
-Who's Crying Now
-Keep On Runnin'
-Still They Ride
-Escape
-Lay It Down
-Dead or Alive
-Mother, Father
-Open Arms

This is another epic that I didn't get into until years after it came out.  Journey was huge on the strength of this album when I started getting into rock and metal, but they didn't really catch my ear, which is a little unusual since my favorite band at the time was Styx.  I knew Journey mostly as the band from that video game and the band that did the silly video on MTV (Separate Ways).  I didn't move deeper than Frontiers until the late 80s when I dated a girl whose favorite band was Journey.  This album has several all time great tracks (including the criminally underrated Mother, Father), although it has a couple duds.  The pinnacle of the arena rock era.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #222 on: July 23, 2019, 03:55:37 PM »
Sorry for the delay.  It's tough typing lost posts with a broken hand.  But onward...

What...you don't have feet?!   :biggrin:

Journey - Escape

Songs:
-Don't Stop Believin'
-Stone in Love
-Who's Crying Now
-Keep On Runnin'
-Still They Ride
-Escape
-Lay It Down
-Dead or Alive
-Mother, Father
-Open Arms

This is another epic that I didn't get into until years after it came out.  Journey was huge on the strength of this album when I started getting into rock and metal, but they didn't really catch my ear, which is a little unusual since my favorite band at the time was Styx.  I knew Journey mostly as the band from that video game and the band that did the silly video on MTV (Separate Ways).  I didn't move deeper than Frontiers until the late 80s when I dated a girl whose favorite band was Journey.  This album has several all time great tracks (including the criminally underrated Mother, Father), although it has a couple duds.  The pinnacle of the arena rock era.
women being into Journey doesn't surprise me actually. I'm sure they like the ballads.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #223 on: July 23, 2019, 05:41:35 PM »
Some of you can go on about Open Arms, but Who's Crying Now is the awesome ballad here.  The atmosphere in that song is freaking awesome.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #224 on: July 23, 2019, 06:33:06 PM »
Who's Crying Now is great, for sure. Excellent album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #225 on: July 24, 2019, 08:45:20 AM »
May your hand recover swiftly, bosk ok?

Thanks, man. Much appreciated.  Saw the doctor yesterday, and he confirmed at least three fractures in the hand and pinky finger.  But as bad as that sounds, it actually isn't too bad.  Everything is intact and in place, and the fractures are small.  I basically just have the pinky taped to my third finger with a wedge in between (a "dynamic splint," as the doctor put it).  He said I should heal just fine that way.  The bigger concern (of many from this accident) is actually my shoulder.  No bone damage, according to the xray, but lots of pain.  If it does not start to feel more normal in 4-6 weeks, it may indicate ligament or cartilage damage that may require surgery.  They will take an MRI if it still seems to be a problem.  Anyway, probably tmi for a music thread!  :biggrin:  Suffice to say, I can type quite a bit better with the fingers taped than I could yesterday with the gigantic wrist brace I was wearing.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 09:09:38 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: July 24, 2019, 09:00:34 AM »
Damn Bosk, I hope for a speedy recovery and the shoulder isn't too bad.

As for the album, I don't own any Journey albums and I don't believe I've ever listened to one.  I have a greatest hits CD and I know a bunch of these songs from that and other listenings I've had before via streaming.  I do enjoy Journey and I'm sure this is a good album.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #227 on: July 24, 2019, 09:08:42 AM »
Never heard this album until the very end of 2012. I put it on during a game; I knew Don't Stop Believin' but none of the rest, and it just blew my mind, I couldn't even focus on the game because it was so good. The very best Journey record in my opinion, and each tune is a classic. "Mother, Father" is soooo good. Steve Perry doesn't have a single bad second of singing on this one. Amazing stuff. And only people without a soul dislike Open Arms.  :biggrin:

:tup  Let me give just a bit more historical context as well, which may help you and others appreciate the album even more. 

This band was formed when Neal Schon was known as a hotshot young guitarist from Santana.  He and Gregg Rollie left to do their own thing and acquired some other exceptional talent.  But their roots were in a lot of different things, from jazzy "art rock," to psychedelia, to prog, to blues, to the emerging hard rock sound.  Musically, they were all over the place, but had serious chops. 

Herbie Herbert, a young, up-and-coming manager, managed Journey and another newly-formed outfit, Y&T (then going by Yesterday & Today, named after the Beatles album), who were influenced by jazz, '60s and '70s glam and "space rock" like Bowie, for example, and various rock personalities like the Beatles, Elvis, Hendrix, and Montrose.  Herbert toured these two ENDLESSLY, often together.  They played everywhere in California and beyond that he could book them, from fairs, to clubs, the parties--you name it.  That led to some really odd pairings with, for example, country or R&B bands, because he (and they) just wanted the bands to play and get their names out as much as possible.  That led to both bands heavily influencing one-another and being influenced by a lot of the music they were sometimes paired with.  It also led to each developing large and loyal fan followings throughout the west coast. 

Herbert eventually dumped Y&T and cast his lot with Journey.  For the first two albums, Journey didn't even have a singer.  By the time they eventually picked up Perry (or Perry picked them up, depending on your perspective), they were a few albums in and already had a huge following.  And while a lot of people embraced Perry, there were a lot of fans who were offput by the new direction of the band.  Perry was incredibly talented, was himself a prolific songwriter, and had a strong personality and strong vision for his music.  This led to an immediate, recognizable shift in the band's sound.  And over the next few albums leading up to Escape (and afterward), it led to a more commercial, "hit radio" sound.  And as the fan base grew immensely, there were many from the early days that did not take kindly to this new direction of the band.  That "commercial," more pop sound took another huge stride with the exit of Rollie and introduction of Jonathan Cain on keys. 

By the time of Escape, the band's sound had undergone a HUGE change from the early days.  And during that decade or so of playing together and truly being the type of "road dog" band you read about that toured endlessly and played more gigs than could possibly be sustainable, they developed amazing playing and songwriting chops.  Escape was a huge culmination in all of that, and that often gets lost among the accessibility and popularity of this album and the ones that followed.

Hope this little historical narrative adds to folks' enjoyment of this album.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #228 on: July 24, 2019, 09:50:19 AM »
women being into Journey doesn't surprise me actually. I'm sure they like the ballads.

I honestly don't remember whether or night this particular woman was focused on the ballads.

Some of you can go on about Open Arms, but Who's Crying Now is the awesome ballad here.  The atmosphere in that song is freaking awesome.

Meh...Who's Crying Now got really boring for me pretty quickly.  I like Open Arms better, but both are in the bottom half of songs on this album.

Hope this little historical narrative adds to folks' enjoyment of this album.

I remember when Dio did his "Hear 'n' Aid" project.  A lot of folks, including many of those involved in the project, were blown away by Neal Schon's playing (and rightfully so).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #229 on: July 24, 2019, 09:56:00 AM »
I remember when Dio did his "Hear 'n' Aid" project.  A lot of folks, including many of those involved in the project, were blown away by Neal Schon's playing (and rightfully so).

Totally.  Dude is 100% a guitar hero, and was from day 1.  But he learned early on the play for the song.  And in the vast majority of Journey's hits, that meant playing tastefully and restrained, so it is very easy to just write him off as not being the elite player he is.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #230 on: July 24, 2019, 09:57:27 AM »
Escape was the first album I purchased with my own money, big deal to a 9 year old.

I contend "Still They Ride" is the best one.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: July 24, 2019, 10:11:45 AM »
It's not a great record, by any stretch, but it wasn't Hear'n'Aid that did it for me; it was "HSAS" with Sammy Hagar.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: July 24, 2019, 10:39:29 AM »

Totally.  Dude is 100% a guitar hero, and was from day 1.  But he learned early on the play for the song.  And in the vast majority of Journey's hits, that meant playing tastefully and restrained, so it is very easy to just write him off as not being the elite player he is.

Sounds like Steve Lukather and Toto! :neverusethis:

Bosk, appreciate the trivia behind Journey's early days; I haven't actually heard any of Journey's stuff before Perry entered the fold, but I know (and own) Infinity, Departure, Evolution, Escape, and Frontiers. Frontiers sucks, the rest are pretty good.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #233 on: July 24, 2019, 11:07:51 AM »

Sounds like Steve Lukather and Toto! :neverusethis:

Funny you should say that, because I almost mentioned him as a similar example in my post.  I think that is a VERY apt comparison.

And, yeah, Perry changed Journey's sound SIGNIFICANTLY.  Personally, I am not really into their earlier stuff, but I can definitely appreciate it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: July 24, 2019, 11:15:57 AM »
Is there anything at all worth visiting in the pre-Perry Journey days? I've heard a lot about it but have never listened; for that matter I don't know any Santana, either, so I don't know if that matters (although Santana is an artist I should be much more familiar with). I'm not big on hard rock Journey which is why I dislike Frontiers so much. But Escape, man, that is just flawless good old fashioned rock.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: July 24, 2019, 11:23:49 AM »
Is there anything at all worth visiting in the pre-Perry Journey days? I've heard a lot about it but have never listened; for that matter I don't know any Santana, either, so I don't know if that matters (although Santana is an artist I should be much more familiar with). I'm not big on hard rock Journey which is why I dislike Frontiers so much. But Escape, man, that is just flawless good old fashioned rock.

I respond with an enthusiastic, yes! But only if you like jazz/rock fusion and enjoy Gregg Rollie's vocals.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #236 on: July 24, 2019, 11:25:53 AM »
I would say it is all "worth" visiting.  But it is hard to predict what you will actually like.  I would just give each of the three of them (Journey, Look Into the Future, and Next) a casual listen on YouTube or whatever streaming service you use, and just see what, if anything, grabs you.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: July 24, 2019, 11:27:46 AM »
Word. Jazz/rock fusion... sounds tasty.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #238 on: July 24, 2019, 11:42:06 AM »
They are an "interesting" band for me and my tastes.  The pre-Perry albums have some interesting stuff that is a fun listen for me once in awhile, but not something I care to listen to very often.  The pre-Escape Perry albums are good.  But song-by-song, they are hit-and-miss.  Escape is the album where it all came together into perfection.  And for me, Frontiers was the next logical evolutional step.  But after that, they kind of lost me.  IMO, Perry took them too far in the pop direction after that, and while they still had some strong songs, the rest of the Perry era was a miss for me.  After that, I really like the Agueri albums.  But the Arnel albums are very hit-and-miss, and I was (and still am) offput by how the band handled kicking Aguieri out and bringing Arnel in.

So the band's total output is very hit-and-miss for me.  There is a lot that I don't care for.  But a lot that I really, REALLY love as well.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: July 24, 2019, 12:03:19 PM »

Do a little quick research; find "Nickel and Dime" from "Next" on Spotify or wherever.  It might remind you of a band I know you're fond of. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: July 24, 2019, 12:13:25 PM »

Do a little quick research; find "Nickel and Dime" from "Next" on Spotify or wherever.  It might remind you of a band I know you're fond of.

Now that was a nice little surprise. That was VERY good, and not at all what I expected from Journey. Going to listen to more throughout the day/evening.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: July 24, 2019, 12:22:42 PM »

Now that was a nice little surprise. That was VERY good, and not at all what I expected from Journey. Going to listen to more throughout the day/evening.

Did you get the hint of Rush (Neal has said "Tom Sawyer", but it's actually more "Xanadu"-ish in the middle)?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: July 24, 2019, 12:24:51 PM »

Did you get the hint of Rush (Neal has said "Tom Sawyer", but it's actually more "Xanadu"-ish in the middle)?

I did get a bit of Rush but I didn't pick up on Xanadu (probably because I don't like Xanadu so I never listen to it). I was actually picking up Toto in some places...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #243 on: July 24, 2019, 12:27:11 PM »

Or I'm Gonna Leave You.  :lol  Schon and Herbert are both on record that they believe Kansas and Rush "borrowed" heavily from Journey on the songs in question.  Given the timing and the fact that there was a lot of such "borrowing" back in the day, it seems likely.  But at the same time, Neal has also been known to "borrow" a few things himself, so I take that with a grain of salt.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E12y1LGifj0

Offline pg1067

« Reply #244 on: July 24, 2019, 01:24:35 PM »
Frontiers sucks

Damn...I get that it's not on the same level as Escape, but "sucks" is pretty harsh.  The well-known tracks are solid, and Edge of the Blade and Rubicon are GREAT "deep cuts."

By the way, Neal Schon in the pre-Perry days had one hell of an epic afro!