Author Topic: What to do when there are mice in the walls?  (Read 3802 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
What to do when there are mice in the walls?
« on: July 01, 2019, 03:52:31 PM »
Okay so... found a mouse in my apartment about a month ago. First time in the 3+ years I've been living here. Put out 4 bait traps - never caught it, but came home one day and found a weak (dying?) tiny mouse in the doorway between my kitchen and dining room... slapped it with a broom to be sure it was dead, got rid of it, no mice since.

I live in the apartment on the end of my building; there is an empty unit next door to me between me and my other neighbor, then another empty unit next to her on the front end of the building. That lady is no longer living there but apparently left a bunch of old food there which brought in a bunch of mice; my neighbor on the other side of the empty unit next door has seen over half a dozen mice in her place since then since she's directly next door. I figure that's where my one mouse came from.

Well yesterday I started hearing squeaking in my living room wall that's shared with the empty unit next door, and this morning I heard an alarming amount of squeaking from the wall behind my refrigerator in the kitchen. Freaked out and told the front office about it and hopefully somebody came by today like they said and put out some traps, but what else can I do? Should I use the glue traps? I put out 4 bait traps and didn't catch anybody so I might have to go for glue (the one mouse I did find was small as hell and I wonder if it would even get caught in the bait trap; one of my bait traps was actually activated, but there was no mouse in it).

I've never had to deal with mice before let alone inside the walls. Other than putting out traps/poison is there anything I can do? I DO NOT want to see any more mice in my pad. I do keep it clean, like I said, never seen them until last month.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: What to do when there are mice in the walls?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 03:55:32 PM »
Tomcat glue pads with a cracker in the middle. Inhumane but gets them all the time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 04:02:58 PM »
Tomcat glue pads with a cracker in the middle. Inhumane but gets them all the time.

I used those with peanut butter rather than a cracker.  But otherwise, yeah. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 04:04:07 PM »
I'd blast some Sonata Arctica.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 04:04:31 PM »
...or..

Have you had a conversation with your landlord?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 04:09:12 PM »

I used those with peanut butter rather than a cracker.  But otherwise, yeah.

Never tried that. I will next time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 04:15:23 PM »
If a cracker works, I would continue doing that.  Less messy than trying to flick a wad of peanut butter into the center of one of those.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 04:40:44 PM »
What to do when there are mice in the walls?

"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2019, 05:19:29 PM »
:lol  Wow, that thread still exists...

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2019, 06:19:14 PM »
Looks like I have some reading ahead of me!

TAC, did you eat a big bowl of smart asses for breakfast?  :lol Yeah, I told the landlord...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2019, 07:12:20 PM »
Glue traps tend to work the best for mice.  You might need the BIG ones though to force them to walk onto the glue far enough to get stuck.   If you use the snap traps, set up two next to each other, with the trigger sides butted up against the wall. 

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2019, 08:48:01 PM »
Never had any in my apartment, but my mother did once. I got her those wall plugs and surprisingly they worked for her for a good year or so until it had to be replaced.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2019, 10:35:53 PM »
Put some cats in the walls.

I'd blast some Sonata Arctica.

Or this, I guess.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2019, 10:59:04 PM »
Glue traps have been set just in case. Maybe I'll catch a TAC while I'm at it.  :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2019, 11:33:35 PM »

TAC, did you eat a big bowl of smart asses for breakfast?  :lol Yeah, I told the landlord...

And he/she said... ?

Living in an apartment has its drawbacks, but the benefits are that they take care of that kind of stuff.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2019, 05:15:02 AM »
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=20039.0

:lol My very first thought when I saw the title was "Whatever method you use don't forget the keys".

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2019, 06:12:12 AM »

And he/she said... ?

Living in an apartment has its drawbacks, but the benefits are that they take care of that kind of stuff.

I mean I only told her yesterday. I'm just looking for advice on other things to do in the meantime. I said in the OP they were sending someone out to put out traps/poison. I just wanted to know if there was something more I could do myself because I don't generally twiddle my thumbs and wait for them to do everything

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2019, 06:15:16 AM »
I'd just set some traps or glue boards wherever you have seen them. They like to run along the walls.

Also, make sure all food is covered on your counters and keep your kitchen floor clean.
Don't leave dirty dishes piled up in your sink either.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2019, 06:32:09 AM »
Yeah I keep my apartment pretty clean thankfully. Hope I catch one... or not, as long as they stay out of my space!

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2019, 06:33:12 AM »
From my experience (I've had many animal infestations, student housing yeey) poison is a lot more effective than traps. Especially because the foraging mouse will bring the poison back to the nest, killing any younglings there. That might also be more humane than just killing the foraging parents with a trap and leaving the babies to starve.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2019, 07:21:44 AM »
The traps were awesome (I'm impressed that they figured out the keys; I thought this was just a part of my family folklore for years...) but this was the best:

"Why would I want to kill the mouse? I'd befriend it at the first opportunity; we could drink and surf the internet and listen to music together, it'd be awesome. He'd quickly become my go-to mouse for everything. Girl troubles? Talk to the mouse. Need someone to go to a gig with? That mouse fucking loves to mosh. My friends would love him, because he's an adorable mouse, and who doesn't love those? At clubs he's the perfect wingman, jumping on grenades so I can get with the hottest girl there. He's my best friend in the world, and I'm closer to him than I could ever be to a fellow human.

But then, early one morning I awake and go to the kitchen to make a bagel. I open the cupboard, and there he is, munching away on my bagels. My. Bagels. I blackout, and when I awake I find myself covered in blood, clutching the severed head of a girl I've never seen before and the mouse's skin is stuck to the wall with a thumbtack. I never found his body."

For some reason, I could see Kattelox posting this.  I would just replace "mosh" with "power metal".   

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2019, 08:14:11 AM »
Okay so... found a mouse in my apartment about a month ago. First time in the 3+ years I've been living here. Put out 4 bait traps - never caught it, but came home one day and found a weak (dying?) tiny mouse in the doorway between my kitchen and dining room... slapped it with a broom to be sure it was dead, got rid of it, no mice since.

I live in the apartment on the end of my building; there is an empty unit next door to me between me and my other neighbor, then another empty unit next to her on the front end of the building. That lady is no longer living there but apparently left a bunch of old food there which brought in a bunch of mice; my neighbor on the other side of the empty unit next door has seen over half a dozen mice in her place since then since she's directly next door. I figure that's where my one mouse came from.

Well yesterday I started hearing squeaking in my living room wall that's shared with the empty unit next door, and this morning I heard an alarming amount of squeaking from the wall behind my refrigerator in the kitchen. Freaked out and told the front office about it and hopefully somebody came by today like they said and put out some traps, but what else can I do? Should I use the glue traps? I put out 4 bait traps and didn't catch anybody so I might have to go for glue (the one mouse I did find was small as hell and I wonder if it would even get caught in the bait trap; one of my bait traps was actually activated, but there was no mouse in it).

I've never had to deal with mice before let alone inside the walls. Other than putting out traps/poison is there anything I can do? I DO NOT want to see any more mice in my pad. I do keep it clean, like I said, never seen them until last month.
I thought you were a cat guy? As a rule a cat's mere presence makes rodents uncomfortable enough to find new digs.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2019, 08:23:14 AM »
The traps were awesome (I'm impressed that they figured out the keys; I thought this was just a part of my family folklore for years...) but this was the best:

"Why would I want to kill the mouse? I'd befriend it at the first opportunity; we could drink and surf the internet and listen to music together, it'd be awesome. He'd quickly become my go-to mouse for everything. Girl troubles? Talk to the mouse. Need someone to go to a gig with? That mouse fucking loves to mosh. My friends would love him, because he's an adorable mouse, and who doesn't love those? At clubs he's the perfect wingman, jumping on grenades so I can get with the hottest girl there. He's my best friend in the world, and I'm closer to him than I could ever be to a fellow human.

But then, early one morning I awake and go to the kitchen to make a bagel. I open the cupboard, and there he is, munching away on my bagels. My. Bagels. I blackout, and when I awake I find myself covered in blood, clutching the severed head of a girl I've never seen before and the mouse's skin is stuck to the wall with a thumbtack. I never found his body."

For some reason, I could see Kattelox posting this.  I would just replace "mosh" with "power metal".

HAHAHA. Awesome. Just awesome.

I thought you were a cat guy? As a rule a cat's mere presence makes rodents uncomfortable enough to find new digs.

I am a cat guy, but I don't own any, they all live with my parents.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2019, 09:58:03 AM »
Could you bring one of the cats over for a visit for a few days? :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2019, 11:41:05 AM »

Haha - I've asked my mom and without missing a beat gives me a very firm "no." Plus... they're kind of fraidy cats who won't go outside. :)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2019, 11:44:25 AM »
Yeah, if you bring one of them to an unfamiliar place all he/she'll do is probably hide under the couch or wherever he/she feels safe.

The only decision is now to adopt a few outdoor cats so they would deal with the problem.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2019, 11:46:00 AM »
Yeah, if you bring one of them to an unfamiliar place all he/she'll do is probably hide under the couch or wherever he/she feels safe.

The only decision is now to adopt a few outdoor cats so they would deal with the problem.

The goal is to get animals out, not in! The obvious solution is to live amongst the cats and learn their secrets, then use them for my own gain, and then I win.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2019, 12:06:03 PM »

Haha - I've asked my mom and without missing a beat gives me a very firm "no." Plus... they're kind of fraidy cats who won't go outside. :)

Whose side is she on?   Tell her, if we don't deploy the cats the terrorists win!   :)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2019, 02:19:45 PM »
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=20039.0

This is glorious!  :rollin :rollin

Yup... too bad some of the links are to culled photo-bucket libraries.  Part of the fun of reliving that thread was all regulars from back then that are nothing but memories now.  Makes me feel warm, fuzzy and sad all at once.

Just checking in to say peanut butter has always done the trick for the jingle's.  Just before we moved from the last house, we had a little family - caught/released one, but 'snapped' the other three.  After having setup 2 traps, we caught two in one night.  I doubt the traps snapped simultaneously, so rodent #2 must've been REAL hungry - to see your dead pal just a few inches away and think "meh... I'll chance it".  :lol
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 02:35:18 PM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2019, 04:05:02 PM »
It was suicide