Author Topic: We need to talk about how the Clickbait Title Infestation is ruining the net.  (Read 1960 times)

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
Herrick hates them. How about you?

I especially hate titles that start with "Why". Or "The Truth About". "The Real Reason Why" (as if there is a fake reason?). "We Need To Talk About".  :tdwn

I stopped watching one of my favorite YouTube channels because all of their video titles were fucking infested with clickbait titles. "Why I hate" or something like that and as soon as the video started the guy was like, "I don't really hate this". And the product he had in the video wasn't even the fucking product that was "hated' in the clickbait title! Disgusting. And this dude would start a lot of his videos with Bible verses. I'm an an atheist but the bible stuff never bothered me. It was the clickbait titles that shriveled my pickle. I watched a ton of their videos before and after I got into my latest hobby and it saddens my poor blacked soul.

YouTube people (and not just YouTube people) with good meaningful content are using Clickbait titles and I no longer click on them. Am I banging my herrick against the wall by missing out on good videos? Is Resistance Futile? What say you?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 07:56:35 AM by XJDenton »
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Spiritus

Re: Clickbait Title Infestation
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 04:37:55 AM »
 :There are many reasons why people do this, number 7 will shock you...

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 07:56:32 AM »

Yes! That's another one  :facepalm:

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 08:28:46 AM »
“The real reason why (X) happened”

-*states opinion*
-*ends video with “let me know what you think”*

Yeah I rarely watch content creators anymore except for music and and some video games here and there.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2019, 11:21:53 AM »
Herrick, don't even get me started... there's a special circle of hell for these buttholes. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2019, 03:56:01 PM »

:clap:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 06:02:20 PM »
Somewhat along these same lines, and I’ve been seeing this on my Facebook feed annoyingly more often recently...

*Picture of ugly pet or disabled kid*

“People say I’m not beautiful. I bet I won’t get even one share...”

Nope, you won’t. Not from me, anyway.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 01:00:29 AM »
there's a special circle of hell for these buttholes.

'nuff said.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2019, 05:19:31 AM »
Another tactic I've seen a lot is 'thumbnail-bait'.  Where the image in the thumbnail never shows up in the video - usually a hawt chick.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2019, 09:31:59 AM »
Another tactic I've seen a lot is 'thumbnail-bait'.  Where the image in the thumbnail never shows up in the video - usually a hawt chick.

Boobs. I don't mean to be misogynist, but if there are large breasts in the thumbnail, the odds of it not being in the main content, um, balloon. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2019, 10:05:12 AM »
Somewhat along these same lines, and I’ve been seeing this on my Facebook feed annoyingly more often recently...

*Picture of ugly pet or disabled kid*

“People say I’m not beautiful. I bet I won’t get even one share...”

Nope, you won’t. Not from me, anyway.

Someone recently posted a photo/meme/whatever saying, "if you post something saying 'I bet almost none of my friends will re-post or share or like this,' you can be pretty much guaranteed that I won't do any of those things."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline T-ski

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2019, 01:15:29 PM »
got me to click on the thread.

good work.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2019, 01:28:05 PM »
Clickbait headlines are one of the reasons I left journalism (one of the minor ones, but symptom of a bigger problem). Everything these days, sales-wise, is connected with analytics regarding page views. It's no longer the reputation of the outlet or the reporter. When I got out of the journalism business five years ago or so, one of my last conversations with an editor went like this (I was a senior reporter covering a legal and political/legislation beat about an industry):

Me: "Hey, I noticed you changed my headline. Normally, you know me, I hate headline-writing, so as long as it makes sense, I don't care. But what you changed it to isn't really accurate as to what's in the article."

Editor: "Well, it's sorta in there, and we really needed to spruce it up to drive traffic."

Me: "I get it, but unlike everyone else in the newsroom, my sources are politicians. Your run of the mill company spokesperson might not care, but I guarantee you we'll be really pissing off my sources in the story if you publish with that headline."

Editor: "Sorry, Brian. Our headlines need to grab attention to get people clicking. When we re-purpose this into the print magazine, we'll go back to your original headline."

>>>>>>>>>I literally put my two weeks notice in about a week after that conversation. I had spent years cultivating sources on my beat with politicians nationwide, and that one story and headline ultimately burned two of them. I called them immediately, and they were pissed, but they understood it was out of my control, but had I ever needed them again, I'm sure they would not have agreed to speak with me.

Crazy stuff. But true story.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2019, 06:21:38 PM »

Yeah I hate those too.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2019, 06:45:35 AM »
got me to click on the thread.

good work.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2019, 08:36:42 AM »

Not as much as number 137. :neverusethis:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2019, 09:07:02 AM »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2019, 09:35:32 AM »

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2019, 09:57:18 AM »
And speaking of false thumbnails they also use some thumnails that has some sort of a red circle as if its highlighting something weird or interesting in the vid but in reality its just a random red circle I tend to unsubscribe to channels if they do this a lot.

And she listens openly

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2019, 09:57:41 AM »
 :rollin

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2019, 10:49:08 AM »
It's hard, though.  It's like being at a bar with Lemmy and saying "yeah, I'll have an orange juice!".

I just this morning over coffee fell down the rabbit hole to see what big celebrity took a selfie with Ed O'Neill, and he had no idea who it was (it was the lovely Britney Spears, to save others the agony of 12 screens of Ed's history, feelings on social media (they mirror mine) and his appearance on Ellen).   

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
"We Need To Talk About".  :tdwn

I agree. Those kind of headlines are the worst.

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
Ha ha what is that monkey thing?

Offline Lethean

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2019, 11:44:30 AM »
Clickbait headlines are one of the reasons I left journalism (one of the minor ones, but symptom of a bigger problem). Everything these days, sales-wise, is connected with analytics regarding page views. It's no longer the reputation of the outlet or the reporter. When I got out of the journalism business five years ago or so, one of my last conversations with an editor went like this (I was a senior reporter covering a legal and political/legislation beat about an industry):

Me: "Hey, I noticed you changed my headline. Normally, you know me, I hate headline-writing, so as long as it makes sense, I don't care. But what you changed it to isn't really accurate as to what's in the article."

Editor: "Well, it's sorta in there, and we really needed to spruce it up to drive traffic."

Me: "I get it, but unlike everyone else in the newsroom, my sources are politicians. Your run of the mill company spokesperson might not care, but I guarantee you we'll be really pissing off my sources in the story if you publish with that headline."

Editor: "Sorry, Brian. Our headlines need to grab attention to get people clicking. When we re-purpose this into the print magazine, we'll go back to your original headline."

>>>>>>>>>I literally put my two weeks notice in about a week after that conversation. I had spent years cultivating sources on my beat with politicians nationwide, and that one story and headline ultimately burned two of them. I called them immediately, and they were pissed, but they understood it was out of my control, but had I ever needed them again, I'm sure they would not have agreed to speak with me.

Crazy stuff. But true story.

That's just really sad. :(  If it was me, I think I would have done the same.  I could accept that a click bait title would be imposed, but not something that was inaccurate. 

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
It appears my thread title has been defiled.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
If you follow these 4 simple steps your threads will never be defiled. . .
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness

Number 3 is really shocking.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Number 3 is really shocking.

And you won't believe you haven't been doing them all this time.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni

I thought editors always handled titling the Headline, not the writer of the article. I would swear that was/is the case with newspapers, is it different for online media?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs

Who is this mang?!

Off topic, is your name from Deus Ex? I'm a big fan of those games.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/monkey-puppet

The Denton part is from Deus Ex, yes.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/monkey-puppet

The Denton part is from Deus Ex, yes.

Thanks for the meme explanation. Looks like a nice show.