Author Topic: Looking for a way to attach a light bulb to a ceiling with no light fixture  (Read 1006 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Bear with me, I know that thread title is stupid.

In my apartment, the living room has no light fixture or fan on the ceiling. I generally rely on a floor lamp, candles, and a variety of other artificial light soures (backlit LED strips on the TV, the TV itself, lighted figurines, lava lamps, etc.) because I hate sunlight and never open my blackout curtains. I looove rainbow colors and lights and playing with that stuff (I keep the LEDs behind my TV on a perpetual seamless flow through the color spectrum), and I want something like this attached to the ceiling if possible. I'm wondering if there's some kind of light bulb base I can screw it into and attach to the ceiling with some kind of strong adhesive, but I need to be able to plug it into an outlet and hopefully have a long enough cable to neatly tuck it along the ceiling and walls to keep it out of the way.

Anyone got any ideas? This is just something for me to goof off with and make my apartment that much more of a hippie pad but it's no big deal if I can't do it. I'll just replace the light bulbs in my bedroom instead!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline pg1067

Anything into which you screw a light bulb is a "fixture" (although I suppose one could argue that something temporary cannot be a "fixture").

In any event, IKEA has a ton of creative lighting options (although I don't know if any or many of them will allow you to use a rainbow bulb).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, what I meant to say was there's nothing on the ceiling at all, it's just a plain flat surface with no fixture for a light in it at all, so I'm thinking like, some kind of base to which I can screw in the bulb and then somehow connect it to an outlet. I'm not handy with this stuff whatsoever so I don't really know what terminology I'm looking for hahaha.

EDIT: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008VTRI3E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_RbOvBbGSQTH35 <--- I think something like that would actually work, as long as I can rig up a way to hold it to the ceiling, although ideally I just want the unexposed bulb and nothing else
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
My house was built in 1958 and there is not a single light fixture in the ceiling (lie, there is 1 in the kitchen, but no where else).  We did install a chandelier in the dining room area (dining room and living room are one big room, the living room side has a big lamp).  So I am following out of curiosity. 

Offline max_security

I have a room in my house with an old " hippie chain " that suspends a fixture from the ceiling as well as a  light duty UL cord over to and down a wall to a recepticle. I have rewired the neighboring room and found that there is 1 inch between some old ceilings which made it nice fishing over to the ceiling fan.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/progress-lighting-10-ft-antique-bronze-lighting-chain/50096992?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-lit-_-bing-_-pla-_--_-sosinteriordecorationlighting-_-50096992-_-0&kpid&k_clickID=bi_272560520_1296324396433473_81020312290286_pla-4584619893575050:aud-806056765_c_&msclkid=c9a09e9be2e019fe66f8c38fe06c2b4d

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Find a joist near to where you want to hang it and screw in a heavy-duty eye-hook. Screwed into a stud or a joist you can hang quite a bit of weight off of those things.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
I think Bart's got it right.  Anything else you can do, but it's a lot of work to do it right.

I'm a big fan of lights too; in my divorce, when we were dividing up stuff I added a string of blue LED Christmas lights to my list.  It was a light moment, but I wasn't really kidding. 

EDIT: I just read that back; pun not at all intended! :) 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 01:31:58 PM by Stadler »

Offline pg1067

Maybe you could suspend a shopping cart from the ceiling and decorate it with one or more strings of lights!

;D
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Maybe you could suspend a shopping cart from the ceiling and decorate it with one or more strings of lights!

;D

God is dead and the abandoned shopping carts have killed him.

Thanks for the replies folks. I'll see if I can get EB's method to work.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Have fun.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Brilliant-Evolution-LED-White-Puck-Light-with-Remote-6-Pack-BRRC135/301839113

I'd use rechargeable batteries. You'll have to spend a little more money up front, but you'll save a fortune over the long run.

Offline pg1067

;D

God is dead and the abandoned shopping carts have killed him.

Thanks for the replies folks. I'll see if I can get EB's method to work.

It always comes back to shopping carts....

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
CHINO TO THE RESCUE!! That's almost exactly what I'm looking for, save the rainbow. Hell yeah!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
"How many Kattleox's does it take to attach a light bulb?"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
"How many Kattleox's does it take to attach a light bulb?"

My dad has a similar joke about me but it's "how many shoehorns does it take for Kattelox to put his shoes on?" I'm not telling that story, but just know I fucking hate shoehorns.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Shoehorns aren't so bad. Just remember to put them back in the corral and you won't accidentally step on one in the dark.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens