Author Topic: Tomislav's Third Roulette v. Tastebreakers (FINAL ROUND RESULTS)  (Read 36654 times)

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Tomislav's Third Roulette v. Tastebreakers (FINAL ROUND PRE-RESULTS)
« Reply #840 on: September 10, 2019, 02:54:45 PM »
Hey, guys! Ummm... I was busy for most of the day and didn't finish all the write-ups :\ and I need some sleep, getting up early tomorrow, sorry... but you can 100% expect it tomorrow!
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #841 on: September 10, 2019, 03:02:37 PM »
Tomislav's  :corn Roulette
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #842 on: September 10, 2019, 03:03:59 PM »
I'm on vacation until Sunday, no need to hurry, you can take your time to reveal my apparent victory
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #843 on: September 10, 2019, 03:43:08 PM »
Might just die, we'll see

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #844 on: September 10, 2019, 11:23:17 PM »
I'm the biggest supplier of :corn

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #845 on: September 11, 2019, 12:41:18 AM »
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #846 on: September 11, 2019, 01:15:20 AM »
Hey, guys! Ummm... I was busy for most of the day and didn't finish all the write-ups :\ and I need some sleep, getting up early tomorrow, sorry... but you can 100% expect it tomorrow!

Don't tell us you're busy, I know what you're doing:

Reading something easier and shorter right now: Coraline by Neil Gaiman.

:biggrin:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #847 on: September 11, 2019, 01:59:40 AM »
I'm the biggest supplier of :corn
and :1967:
I'm sorry I don't get your music :sad:

Don't tell us you're busy, I know what you're doing:

Reading something easier and shorter right now: Coraline by Neil Gaiman.

:biggrin:
I actually finished it that day and didn't read anything else since :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #848 on: September 11, 2019, 02:04:15 AM »
brb changing my round 8 entry to warforged

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #849 on: September 11, 2019, 02:22:55 AM »
Oh I like black metal, just not certain types of it. Puppies sent some great bm in roulette v2.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #850 on: September 11, 2019, 02:24:09 AM »
warforged is only vaguely black metal and very much something you'd hate  :metal

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #851 on: September 11, 2019, 02:32:24 AM »
warforged is only vaguely black metal and very much something you'd hate  :metal
This? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwx1a2spjEU
I quite like it. Other than vocals, I think they are too high in mix and bass drums are a bit annoying. But as a song and style, I like it.
I'm surprised nobody sent Deathspell Omega, I heard something off their latest and loved it. Heard something older as well and hated it, too weird for my taste.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #852 on: September 11, 2019, 08:33:25 AM »
nope, completely different band
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MepH8bdbHZ0

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #853 on: September 11, 2019, 09:42:06 AM »
nope, completely different band
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MepH8bdbHZ0
Yep, that's definitely the sort of stuff I can't listen to :|

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #854 on: September 11, 2019, 01:12:35 PM »
Sorry guys, my dog ate write-ups :-\

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #855 on: September 11, 2019, 01:23:56 PM »
Sorry guys, my dog ate write-ups :-\

Apparently I sent dog food anyway. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #856 on: September 11, 2019, 01:35:11 PM »
dogs once again proving how they're not as good as cats
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Tomislav's Third Roulette v. Tastebreakers (FINAL ROUND RESULTS)
« Reply #857 on: September 11, 2019, 01:44:17 PM »
ROUND 8 RESULTS

FlyingBIZKIT

You kinda fucked it up with XTC but other songs were ranging from fine to great, you just didn’t have that much luck, to be honest or otherwise you’d end up a bit higher. Thank you for playing, I will definitely check out more of Thomas Giles, OSI and Daft Punk. Possibly some other.

Total: 39.5 points

home

Your path this time was (intentionally) different this time and I’m grateful for that, you sent some things I wouldn’t otherwise know of. Sadly for you, those didn’t fare well in comparison to other, more familiar genres with me. I’ll probably check out only Frightened Rabbit and Flume but who knows…

James Blake - Can't Believe The Way We Flow

This for some reason sound pretty familiar to me even though I rarely listen to this kind of music. His voice is soothing and chill on its own but in combination with backing track/instrumental it has kind of trippy and scary vibe. Still, a nice song but a bit less good compared to others.

4.5 + 1 = 6 points

Total: 44.5 points

Puppies_On_Acid

You always complained you don’t get my tastes but actuall majority of your submissions were good. Teramaze, VNV Nation and Liturgy are definiteli to-check-out worthy, I’ll see about the others.

Dark Quarterer - Colossus of Argil

I can’t believe you really sent 80s heavy metal, a ballsy move, especially when it’s sounding this raw. At first I didn’t like it at all, like you almost got 1 point for it. But after a few listen it grew on me more and more. It’s still not up there with the rest but I still liked it. I like most of the instrumental but vocals sound really outdated and I hardly could get into them even though they are pretty good (but over the top). Yeah, nothing more to add, it’s fine heavy metal but not really my taste.

5 points

Total: 46 points

Sacul

Oh, my man. You sent some of the best and some of the worst stuff in this roulette. When in doubt, don’t send anything weird :lol Anyways, I just loved The Cardigans and Failure, can’t wait to hear more of it.

Slowdive – Alison

I heard of this band and wanted to get into them (I think home sent me one of their songs) and it sounds like something I would like, it’s dreamy and quite catchy but somehow I couldn’t really get into it. Maybe it’s timing, maybe it isn’t for me, I don’t know. Simply, it bored me. Maybe I’ll try this band anyway.

4 points

Total: 46 points

Wolfking

You seemed like you couldn’t grasp my taste. Yes, you mostly sent stuff I found ok and pretty good but unfortunately you had trouble hitting above that. Nevertheless, Almah was cool. Eternal Tears of Sorrow as well but I had some troubles with it (look down below). Yeah, if other submissions were less good you’d probably had a better time but I most often got great songs. BTW funny thing is, looking at your submissions, I could check everything out, nothing was even remotely bad :lol

Eternal Tears of Sorrow – Prophetian

I most often like dark and gothic music, this actually reminds me of a bit older Paradise Lost. They incorporated keys in this song so well, I couldn’t imagine it without it. Guitar solos and riffs are great as well. One thing that pulls this song down a bit are the vocals. I don’t know if it’s be but I don’t like this type of dry growl, it sounds like he’s vomiting. If growls were better this would actually be my favourite song of yours.

7 points

Total: 49.5 points

Kwyjibo

You sent a lot of different stuff and I’m glad I liked both older and newer out of the things you sent. Also, you sent some stuff I would hardly check out otherwise so thank you for that. Looking forward to listening to Insomnium ,All About Eve and Soundgarden, even though I didn’t like that song that much.

Extreme - Leave Me Alone

This just seemed forgetful to me, sorry. There are some cool melodies and chorus riff is catchy but there’s something in that verse riff that just irks me. Vocals seem pretty powerful but the main melody gets old fast, reminds me of grunge stuff I don’t like. So no, not the music for me.

3.5 points

Total: 51 points

Stadler

You definitely introduced me to some stuff I wouldn’t otherwise even hear of. I’m particularly happy with Jane’s Addiction, it’s right up my alley and one of the best stuff I got in this roulette. Other than that, Fish is great. I know I reanked Angels And Airwaves but there’s more chance I’ll check out Keane, The Claypool Lennon Delirium and definitely Duran Duran (I just think I’ll like other songs better).

Steely Dan - Your Gold Teeth II

This is just not my style (anymore).  I usually like vocal harmonies but in this one in didn’t hit me. Piano in verses is maybe a bit over the top and that takes some focus from vocals. And that jazzy guitar solo is not something I like in my music, sorry. As a whole, the song isn’t bad but it’s not my cup of tea.

3 points

Total: 51.5

TAC

Yeah, I’ll forget about some of the bands you sent (sorry) but I definitely won’t forget some of them :metal I listened to Mana by Idle Hands multiple times and it’s already one of my favorite 2019 releases, you just me hit the right button with it. To bad it went downhill from there but some stuff (Branch Arterial, Moonrise, Dreamwalkers Inc) are good enough as well.

Structural Disorder – Drowning

Let’s start with negative: I don’t like vocals. Actually, I like some of it and that’s when he’s around his natural register and he is not most of the time. When singing high he’s straining too much and doesn’t sound good at all imo. Growls are just fine, nothing more than that. And part with growls feels a bit disjointed. Other than that, when he’s in his natural register it’s a great tune. I love the part where there’s acoustic guitar and main melody played on bass. And also the part with accordion. Yeah, this is a fine song but with a few flaws as well.

6.5 points

Total: 53.5 points

Katellox

You went all over the place, your first and last submissions were my favorites. But actually, I didn’t dislike any other than Sons of Seasons, that was just out of my taste. Kings of Leon, Broken bells and Robert Plant are definitely going on my wishlist.

Kings of Leon - Back Down South

As I already said multiple times I heard some Kings of Leon (friend of mine listen to them) before and liked most of it, just never tried to really get into it but this definitely made me want to. I like this more than their more rock song, his voice works really well with that folky guitar. And of course, you know how much melodies are important for me and this has really great melodies and unlike most stuff I listen to (sounds almost country). Yeah, definitely a band worth checking, I just hope more of their music is this folky.

10 points

Total: 54 points

Lethean

Looking back at your songs, even though you didn’t really get close to winning, everything is at least listenable and I could easily check out everything you sent (maybe not right now). The stuff I’m really excited about are Subsignal (already checked it out), Blind Guardian and Angra.

Blind Guardian - Bright Eyes

I somehow never listened to Blind Guardian, maybe only heard most popular stuff if it played somewhere but I’m familiar with Hansi from Ayreon and Avantasia, always liked his voice. It’s really powerful here and selling point for me. There’s also great guitar work, as it is most often in power metal stuff. Yeah, great stuff, can’t wait to check it out further.

9.5 points

Total: 58 points

senecadawg2

At first, you were one of my first contenders to win this but sadly some middle of the park songs ruined it. Still, I think I could listen to all artists you sent but ones I’ll definitely check out are Phoebe Bridgers, Ben Howard, Glen Hansard and Jason Isbell.

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit - If We Were Vampires

This didn’t actually qualify for bonus points even though it’s (kinda) country because I’m familiar with this type of a modern folk and Americana. Anyways, this is my thing right from the start, reminds me Mark Knopfler but with a bit nicer voice. Also, female vocals are nice addition and they go together well. I liked the melodies as well, have country twang but with a modern twist I like. The less good thing is repetitive guitar melody and a bit of its ordinarity, I’d say, not that original.

8.5 points

Total: 62 points

Evermind

You had a chance to win, if it wasn’t for that fluke (BBT). I actually think I could like them, just couldn’t get into that song, sorry. Most of the other stuff was pretty good, especially IQ, Karmakanic and Galahad, all epic stuff. Already checked out Karmakanic, not what I expected but fine nevertheless.

Myles Kennedy - The Great Beyond

Given how much I’ve been listening AB this last year and how much I like Myles’ voice I was expecting this to blow me away. Sadly, it didn’t. I just don’t hear anything special in it. The thing I like, though, is guitar. There’s mix of acoustic and electric which sounds quite nice. But as a whole, it doesn’t make me feel anything (something AB does). So yeah, you definitely blew you chances for 1st spot there.

4.5 points

Total: 63 points

Cyril

This was almost a perfect roulette for you, congrats! Amy Shark was the only artist I didn’t like, everything else ranged from good to awesome and most of the stuff is on my wishlist. I already checked out that album by fun. BTW if I would do that, I’d bump Be Calm 1-1.5 points up, it’s pretty much my favorite song of the roulette with Dragon, Why Do You Cry?, I couldn’t stop listening even after that round ended. Thank you for all the great music you sent :metal

Ancestors - The Warm Glow

It’s weird, I hear “something” about this but I never could get that. At least not as much as I did get most of your other songs. It’s kinda formulaic for this kind of music and it’s not like I’m always into it (same goes for band Elder). I like heavier parts and guitar noodling, I must say, but other than that not too original. But yeah, it’s not bad song at all, just not as good as most of your other submissions.

5.5 points

Total: 70 points

STANDINGS:
1. Cyril - 70 points
2. Evermind - 63 points
3. senecadawg2 - 62 points
4. Lethean - 58 points
5. Kattelox - 54 points
6. TAC - 53.5 points
7. Stadler - 51.5 points
8. Kwyjibo - 51 points
9. wolfking - 49.5 points
10. Sacul - 46 points
      Puppies_On_Acid - 46 points
12. home - 44.5 points
13. FlyingBIZKIT - 39.5 points

And the clear winner is Cyril!!1 :metal

Thank you all for playing and thank you all for sending some great music!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #858 on: September 11, 2019, 01:47:39 PM »
:footloose:

Top 5 is pretty nice! Glad you liked that Kings of Leon song so much. The album that's on is obviously one of my favorite albums ever - #4 in my Top 50 thread - and it has some rockin' stuff but also some very mellow stuff. If you'd like I could put together a list of songs you'd probably enjoy a lot based on your review of Back Down South. Thanks for letting me play - this was a fun roulette.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #859 on: September 11, 2019, 01:59:48 PM »
So yeah, you definitely blew you chances for 1st spot there.

I blew it with BBG, yeah, there were no chances after that.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #860 on: September 11, 2019, 02:19:41 PM »

The only thing cats are good for is as a speed bump.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #861 on: September 11, 2019, 02:21:41 PM »

The only thing cats are good for is as a speed bump.

WOW  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #862 on: September 11, 2019, 02:45:24 PM »

To be fair we both had a pretty low score in the middle and then faceplanted in the last round  :lol

Anyways yeet
I'm gonna send a playlist of other stuff I was considering tonight
And I distinguish that ancestors album from stuff like elder (and all the other ancestors albums, tbh) from the level of f e e l s but if you weren't wild about that one I can't imagine the rest will do much for you either

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #863 on: September 11, 2019, 03:13:47 PM »
Yeah I felt too I just couldn't find a sweet spot of stuff you really liked.  Oh well at least I stayed off the bottom.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #864 on: September 11, 2019, 03:31:46 PM »
Would you guys be interested if I updated this thread with albums of bands you sent after I check them out? Just with my score and maybe 1 or 2 sentences about those...

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #865 on: September 11, 2019, 03:32:58 PM »
Would you guys be interested if I updated this thread with albums of bands you sent after I check them out? Just with my score and maybe 1 or 2 sentences about those...

Absolutely!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #866 on: September 11, 2019, 04:13:50 PM »
I haven't done so well in roulettes lately, so I'll gladly take 4th place. :)   I have a feeling that I would have done a lot worse had I tried to send something that would count as a tastebreaker. I'm happy you enjoyed some of the songs I sent.

I'm definitely interested in hearing your updates as you check out various albums.  Happy listening. :)

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #867 on: September 12, 2019, 01:52:30 AM »
Congrats to Cyril for winning, thanks to Tomislav for letting me play, it was fun and if I sent you some music you like all is good.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #868 on: September 12, 2019, 01:55:55 AM »
Congratz Cyril!!

Yes!

Thanks a lot for hosting! I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the songs I sent even though I hoped they would've been more positive  :lol

But hey if you will at least check out Flume I've successfully sent a "tastebreaker" you might like. Eventhough I'm also quite sure Hi This Is Flume contains some moments you won't like at all....

Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #869 on: September 12, 2019, 02:03:39 AM »

To be fair we both had a pretty low score in the middle and then faceplanted in the last round  :lol

Anyways yeet
I'm gonna send a playlist of other stuff I was considering tonight
And I distinguish that ancestors album from stuff like elder (and all the other ancestors albums, tbh) from the level of f e e l s but if you weren't wild about that one I can't imagine the rest will do much for you either

I kinda tanked in the first round a bit, and overall you were more consistent, so a well-deserved victory here.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #870 on: September 12, 2019, 02:12:55 AM »
honestly i based my entire roulette submission list off of tomi saying he usually doesn't like upbeat or happy music and somehow i won by just sending random crap that was generally bright in sound & completely ignored the tastebreaker gimmick altogether because i forgot it existed tbh

anyways i sent a short playlist of extra stuff via PM, if i can think of anything else to add i might add more but it's 1 AM and i'm awake for god knows why hhh

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #871 on: September 12, 2019, 02:16:22 AM »
Yep, Cyril in this roulette is easily the most consistent participant I had in both v1 and v3, can't count v2 because it was elimination roulette and even there, home who won, didn't won a round beside last two :lol he only try when it counts :P

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #872 on: September 12, 2019, 06:33:17 AM »

100%!

Thanks for running this, and nice job all around.  It was fun.  I wish I didn't screw the pooch at the 11th hour, but so goes it. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #873 on: September 12, 2019, 06:48:56 AM »
Congrats Cyril! Thanks for having me tomi, was fun although my performance was really all over the place :lol

Totally! I think I'll also send you a few extra songs via PM if you don't mind.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #874 on: September 12, 2019, 10:09:44 AM »
Feel free to send anything

EDIT: Light and shade of things is banned

EDIT2: So is The grand conjuration
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 10:17:30 AM by Tomislav95 »