Author Topic: Tomislav's Third Roulette v. Tastebreakers (FINAL ROUND RESULTS)  (Read 37345 times)

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: Tomislav's Third Roulette v. Tastebreakers (ROUND 2 HANGMAN)
« Reply #245 on: July 08, 2019, 07:06:15 PM »
Damn it TAC I just realized I broke my rule of not sending any metal in this roulette.  :lol

Did you send metal?

You tell me  :lol
Cheese Metal!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #246 on: July 08, 2019, 07:17:33 PM »
Damn it TAC I just realized I broke my rule of not sending any metal in this roulette.  :lol

Did you send metal?

That's not wicked metal. But it's pretty good too. I'll definitely check out that album so thank you. I don't like the low tuning of those rhythm guitars though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #247 on: July 08, 2019, 08:24:45 PM »

That's not wicked metal. But it's pretty good too. I'll definitely check out that album so thank you. I don't like the low tuning of those rhythm guitars though.

There's a lot of stuff like that on the whole album. I have my thoughts on it...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #248 on: July 11, 2019, 03:49:11 AM »
Here's your song rankings by round. Of course, in some cases it doesn't mean much. In others, you can figure it out yourself ;) BTW in terms of actual points, it doesn't actually mean you'll get more points than in round 1 as it largely depends on how much I liked other songs. Results probably tomorrow, I still feel tired.

Cyril
1. Julien Baker - Hurt Less
2. SIAMES - The Wolf

TAC
1. Idle Hands - Dragon, Why Do You Cry?
2. Mask of Prospero - This Road Leads to Desolation

Puppies_On_Acid
1. Lantlos - Pulse/Surreal
2. Cobalt - Gin

Katellox
1. Broken Bells - Holding on for Life
2. Sons of Seasons - Casus Belli I: Guilt's Mirror

senecadawg2
1. Phoebe Bridgers - Funeral
2. Copeland  – On Your Worst Day

Lethean
1. Subsignal - Finisterre
2. Sound of Contact - Pale Blue Dot

Evermind
1. Karmakanic - Eternally
2. Bjorn Riis - The Waves

Stadler
1. Duran Duran - Lonely In Your Nightmare
2. Waylon Jennings - Don't You Think This Outlaw Bit's Done Got Out Of Hand

FlyingBIZKIT
1. Thomas Giles ft. Kristoffer Rygg - Milan
2. Daft Punk - Touch

wolfking
1. Nailed to Obscurity - Black Frost
2. Pyramaze - Back For More

Sacul
1. Talk Talk - Living In Another World
2. Perturbator - Vantablack

Kwyjibo
1. Tower of Power - Soul With A Capital S
2. Communic - Conspiracy of Mind

home
1. Frightened Rabbit - Keep Yourself Warm
2. Odesza - Line of Sight
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #249 on: July 11, 2019, 04:00:07 AM »
So you rank my song better than last round, which was ranked near the bottom, and I have to consider that it's maybe because of the tastebreaker points only. Yeah, this doesn't really tell me much.  :lol
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #250 on: July 11, 2019, 04:21:04 AM »
So you rank my song better than last round, which was ranked near the bottom, and I have to consider that it's maybe because of the tastebreaker points only. Yeah, this doesn't really tell me much.  :lol
No no. It doesn't mean anything in terms of points. It's just which song I liked more. Yes, I liked your song more which potentially and most possibly means you're getting more points than last round. And you're getting bonus points on top of that.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #251 on: July 11, 2019, 08:47:58 AM »
well, i'd expect at least a pretty decent score since you liked my song more this round, and i already did pretty well last round  :corn

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: July 11, 2019, 09:14:39 AM »
Fairly sure I won the round tbh.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: July 11, 2019, 10:10:14 AM »
Oh no. That is not good considering Holding On For Life didn't do so hot. Played some bad cards this roulette  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #254 on: July 11, 2019, 10:47:51 AM »
Oh no. That is not good considering Holding On For Life didn't do so hot. Played some bad cards this roulette  :lol
I liked Holding On For Life a lot but it didn't get better score because I liked a few songs better.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #255 on: July 11, 2019, 11:34:05 AM »
Hopefully the difference between the two is slight, seeing as how Phoebe did alright.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #256 on: July 11, 2019, 02:17:06 PM »
At least I'm not doing worse than last round :lol

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Tomislav's Third Roulette v. Tastebreakers (ROUND 2)
« Reply #257 on: July 12, 2019, 09:09:32 AM »
My first impression about this round is that there is even bigger gap between the best and worsts songs...
I'll just quote myself: don't know tf was I thinking :lol results later today (or early tomorrow)

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #258 on: July 12, 2019, 02:41:36 PM »
ROUND 2 RESULTS

Cyril: Julien Baker - Hurt Less

And you managed to send the song of the round even though I was partial about it at first. It’s short for sure but there’s a lot going on and there is a lot of stuff I fell in love with later. BTW how is this happy song? I’m afraid about other songs on album then tbh. One of the things I didn’t realize at first are lyrics. When I listened more closely it really hit me, such a beautiful message. As with Funeral in round 1, this one resonates with me as well, it’s about realization we’re not the only ones in our world, that our actions matters and we should think and care about each other. Really powerful stuff. One subtle thing I fell in love with is her pronunciation, she says some words in really special way that made me appreciate her even more. In the end, instrumentation falls in second place but it is also really nice in the second part of the song and male voice fits her really well and adds another dimension to the song making it more powerful.

This year I've started wearing safety belts
When I'm driving
Because when I'm with you
I don't have to think about myself
And it hurts less

11 points

Evermind: Karmakanic - Eternally

Did you ever get lower score because song was too much? It may have been case here, I’m not sure. Loved it from the first listen, it’s beautiful. Period. But part 1 is just too much. On every listen I couldn’t wait for it to be over, it’s really just piano, nice piano, but ruining the mood in moments. The second part doesn’t actually have anything bad to it. I liked it from the start, even expected it to grow on me even more but it didn’t. It’s up there but not above it. It is really special though, I never heard accordions in prog rock before. It sounds like rock version of Leonard Cohen (older stuff at least). Accordions are popular where I’m from so it sounds like something Bosnians would like (I played it for my mother and she agreed). Guitar solo and closing part are the best part of the song and probably the best few minutes I got in this roulette. Can’t wait to check this album out, it was on my wishlist even before and moved to the top now.

10.5 points

home: Frightened Rabbit - Keep Yourself Warm

Ah, the band I received in my second roulette. Actually, it won the round it was sent. I checked one of their albums and didn’t like any other song than the one I was sent so I decided to keep them off banned list. If I had to decide if I liked Death Dream or Keep Yourself Warm I couldn’t because these two are so different. The tone of this one is much more bright even though it’s actually melancholic song (duh!), probably due to all those instruments which make it on moments sounds even muddy and too full (something that’s usual in indie music). I like how it’s really bold in its statement: “It takes more than fucking someone, You don't know to keep warm”, and I agree with it. Finally, it’s really fine song but miss something else to really rise above other songs in this round.

9.5 points

FlyingBIZKIT: Thomas Giles - Milan (feat. Kristoffer Rygg)

Call me shallow but I started to like the song better automatically as I recognized Kristoffer is Ulver’s singer :lol really, it took me some time to realize that. They opened my eyes toward synthpop with their latest releases and I started to like their electronic albums as well. On the other hand, BTBAM was always somewhere there but I never really loved their music. And I never loved Thomas’ growls. On the other hand, his clean voice is really nice and it is even better here than I remember it from BTBAM. My thoughts on the actual song: it’s emotional, short, melodic piece with great vocals. What else is there to say? It is nothing really special but I’d like a full album of these two guys with this kind of music.

9 points

senecadawg2: Copeland - On Your Worst Day

Really, the first thing I noticed is effect on the vocals. I heard that before in Bon Iver’s music but I think it works better here, I find it fits well with strings. My favourite part of the song is that before chorus and the chorus (“I just want to make you smile…”), especially when that beat drops. Sadly, I don’t feel the lyrics or the song as a whole as much as you do even though I like it a lot. The ending reminds me of The Antlers, the band I actually found out through you (then you sent Palace in Ruslan’s roulette). I listened to it many times (as I did any other song) but I still keep finding things I like about it so maybe I’ll eventually like it even more. For now, it gets the score it gets, I hope you’re ok with that.

8 points

Kwyjibo: Tower of Power - Soul with a capital S

The only tastebreaker of the round came in cool style. I ever really listened to much soul or funk and on repeated listen I started to like it, it grow on me. However, the same things I didn’t like about it at first stayed until the end. It’s really not the smartest thing to sing about, it’s about why he likes soul and why it’s best genres of them all. Second thing I don’t like is that everything that’s to hear happens in the first part of the song, the rest is all same so even 5 minutes seems to long for this song. Other that that, I hear some really interesting playing there, it seems like it’s challenging for both playing and singing. Don’t need to even say it, it’s catchy and fun. All in all, fine song but I don’t think I’m hooked to the genre.

5 + 2.5 = 7.5 points

Sacul: Talk Talk - Living in Another World

I was ready to start with how I already got one of their songs in my v1… but I didn’t :lol it was Talking Heads, I always mistake those two bands. I tried some Talking Heads and didn’t like it a lot. This thing is a bit better though. I like new wave lately so you really hit me with it. I especially like when it’s this melancholic and rhythmic and the same time, there’s always something interesting going on. Love that double change of key in chorus, first one is maybe predictable, second one is just awesome. It took me some time for this song to start to grow on me and I’m still not sure how to rate it, especially as I like a few songs just a bit better so it looks as I like this one a bit less than I really do. Nevertheless, it’s much better than your round 1 submission and I expect you to send even better stuff. (actually, in the end I bumped it up in front of 2 songs but I'll leave this last part ;) )

7 points

wolfking: Nailed to Obscurity - Black Frost

Before even listening to it I checked their pages on few web sites and saw they are compared to early Katatonia. While I like that style, I never got into that particular era of Katatonia. And while listening it even more reminded me of early and latest Paradise lost, especially the vocals. When it comes to harsh vocals this style has become my favourite over the course of the last few years so I’m definitely looking forward to checking them out further. That ominous guitar is the style I like as well, vocals and guitars match really well, sound evil and like death. Unfortunately, I have a big objection: it’s that most of the song sounds generic to me, like a heard it before (in before mentioned bands’ music). Nevertheless, it offers something new in form of nice melodic guitar solo. As far as I’m concerned, doom metal bands sometimes lacks this kind of soloing.

6.5 points

Stadler: Duran Duran - Lonely in Your Nightmare

You correctly noticed synthpop is one of my new favourite genres. I even heard some of Duran Duran’s music as they are/were really popular. So it’s impossible for me not to compare them to bands like Depeche Mode and Tears for Fears. Unfortunately, both bands sound much more interesting to me and have more distinct sound and Duran is more poppy than I like and there’s no atmosphere other bands have. After I stopped comparing them I actually started to appreciate it more. What is it after all? Good pop music. Not really the best I heard but it is just fine and I believe I’ll discover their songs I like more.

6 points

Lethean: Sound of Contact - Pale Blue Dot

To be honest, I never heard of Sound of Contact but I feel like I should as we’re on prog forum and John Wesley and Simon Collins are members of the band. First thing I noticed is that they sound pretty similar to bands like Spock’s Beard and Enchant (but less metal), maybe even too much. At first I didn’t like it because it sounded too generic for my likings. After that I started to like the verses more and more and until now those stayed my favourite part of the song. But sadly, contrary to most songs, this one hit anti-climax on chorus, at least in my opinion. It feels really bland coming after those cool and catchy verses. Due to that song just left not so good taste in my mouth. Also, it feels kinda cold, I guess it’s because of production. It’s just ok but nothing more, as if it would be lost in the sea of the much better prog bands.

5.5 points

TAC: Mask of Prospero - This Road Leads to Desolation

Now there’s a song I had hard time getting into but at the end eventually quite liked. It actually has every element I should like: nice voice (really like his timbre), melancholic note, great guitar solo. But sadly, other than guitar solo nothing stand out to me that much and in the end it’s pretty forgettable. It’s one of those songs I lost memory of as soon as I finished listening to them, even the worse scored songs had something I could remember (if that’s a good thing lol).

5 points

Puppies_On_Acid: Lantlos - Pulse/Surreal

There was a time I was big into this kind of music. Don’t get me wrong, I still love it but it gets a bit samey at times. If I’m not mistaken it’s one of Neige’s bands so I must’ve heard it years ago. There’s a nice contrast I like and it works very well, with being ballad and then atmospheric black metal with grows while still staying kinda ballad-y and emotional. The problem I get with it is that it goes nowhere really and 8 minutes fell like even more. I feel like if I tried more I could like this more so I’ll check out the album but right now it’s just same thing I heard many times before with this kind of music.

4 points

Katellox: Sons of Seasons - Cassus Belli I: Guilt's Mirror

This song actually starts as if it’s folky atmospheric black metal. Sadly, it’s not that but prog/power metal. There’s not much I like about this song to be honest. I guess chorus is pretty catchy, I like the melody. However, I find singer’s voice really repulsive, it’s really the kind I can’t enjoy. Also, it’s type of riffing I don’t like that much, the side of bands like Symphony X I don’t like. After all, it’s not unlistenable but it’s not something I’d listen to on my own. Sorry.

3.5 points

STANDINGS:
1. Cyril - 20 points
2. TAC - 17 points
3. Evermind - 16.5 points
    senecadawg2 - 16.5 points
5. FlyingBIZKIT - 16 points
    Lethean - 16 points
7. home - 14.5 points
8. Stadler - 13.5 points
9. Kwyjibo - 12 points
    wolfking - 12 points
11. Kattelox - 11.5 points
12. Sacul - 10 points
13. Puppies_On_Acid - 8 points

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Tomislav's Third Roulette v. Tastebreakers (ROUND 2 RESULTS)
« Reply #259 on: July 12, 2019, 02:45:19 PM »
Well crud... every time I've sent Sons of Seasons on this forum I think it's tanked. Guess I'm the only fan, though I think TAC liked it, or some song, and said he'd check it out. Will send soon.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #260 on: July 12, 2019, 02:45:26 PM »
 :metal

and i promise you that's the only song on that album that isn't just depression music, even if it's not like. super happy, it's at least optimistic  :lol

anyways gonna find something else happy to send brb

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #261 on: July 12, 2019, 02:55:43 PM »
I had 3 simultaneous suck rounds. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: July 12, 2019, 03:02:16 PM »
I am confident I sent round 3's winner after sucking metaphorical balls in round 2.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #263 on: July 12, 2019, 03:14:22 PM »
Fairly sure I won the round tbh.
I am confident I sent round 3's winner after sucking metaphorical balls in round 2.
:corn

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #264 on: July 12, 2019, 04:58:00 PM »
I'll take it! I think you might enjoy the album quite a bit. A lot of people dont rate that as one of the better songs on the album.

Also, by the way, i dont know if parama mentioned it, but Julien Baker and Phoebe Bridgers collaborate on a project called boygenius
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 05:07:53 PM by senecadawg2 »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #265 on: July 12, 2019, 05:08:28 PM »
Also, by the way, i dont know if parama mentioned it, but Julien Baker and Phoebe Bridgers collaborate on a project called boygenius
i didn't even know that  :P

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #266 on: July 12, 2019, 07:00:07 PM »
Hah!

Well its decent so maybe check it out. I dont like it as much as Phoebe's solo album or Better Oblivion Community Center, but still aight

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #267 on: July 12, 2019, 09:30:50 PM »
I guess I need to go in a completely different direction here....
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #268 on: July 12, 2019, 09:47:04 PM »
nah keep it up more points for the rest of us

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #269 on: July 12, 2019, 09:50:10 PM »
Sorry Tomislav, but Parama wants me to keep sending Black Metal....  :-\
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #270 on: July 12, 2019, 10:05:26 PM »
Sent

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: July 13, 2019, 01:10:20 AM »
Should've just went with Part 2 then, but hell, I love that piano intro. Glad you liked it! I played it for Train in plug the other day and he also liked it. :P

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #272 on: July 13, 2019, 02:35:18 AM »
Alright, I can live with that score, no risk no fun.

Like I said before I'm not really into soul and funk too, but Tower Of Power just rule with that horn section and Francis Rocco Prestia is the master of groovy bass playing.

And the singer singing about why he likes soul is the equivalent of metal bands singing about the power of metal.  :D

Edit: sent some 90s stuff
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 02:56:57 AM by Kwyjibo »
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #273 on: July 13, 2019, 05:19:52 AM »
Keep sending black metal... but send something better :P

And the singer singing about why he likes soul is the equivalent of metal bands singing about the power of metal.  :D
It actually sounds less cheesy to sing about soul :D

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #274 on: July 13, 2019, 07:47:00 AM »
Awesome! I hope it makes you check out the album.  :angel: I also actually like how the singer explicitly uses "fucking", it makes it sound even less romantic (though I'm not sure yet if the album's title is a more positive word for the same thing)

I'll send shortly :azn:
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #275 on: July 13, 2019, 10:43:00 AM »
Keep sending black metal... but send something better :P
Sent this
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Lethean

« Reply #276 on: July 13, 2019, 11:31:44 AM »
Sent!  No idea whatsoever how it's going to do...

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #277 on: July 14, 2019, 04:33:20 AM »
Waiting on 3 more submissions, you know who you are :tup starting with round 3 in about 24 hours...

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: July 14, 2019, 04:37:34 AM »
I'm on it, just sent in Nelson's and will send your song in a few more hours.

Edit: and sent!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 08:18:44 AM by Evermind »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #279 on: July 14, 2019, 08:47:15 PM »
Sent