Poll

Should everyone in Round 8 have to send the same type of submission?

Yes - the higher seeds will vote on their preference for EP, Greatest Hits, Album
No - each higher seed can choose for their respective matchup

Author Topic: Seneca v3 results  (Read 74919 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Seneca v3 R10, calling all participants to page 50
« Reply #1750 on: September 06, 2019, 10:38:57 AM »
if it helps i've been spinning beneath the dark wide sky a lot recently. it's a very 7/10 album

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1751 on: September 08, 2019, 02:49:08 AM »
Sorry for the silence guys, im still rolling around over here and the wifi is spotty at best. Having a great time though, for what its worth  ;D

And since i was able to download the spotify playlists before i left ive been able to listen to each a few times. Theyre both really enjoyable and I think i have a favorite, but im going to let them both simmer until i get back.

Also, the likes of Stadler, wolfking, ruba, buddyhunter and others im forgetting have yet to cast their ballot, should they so choose.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1752 on: September 08, 2019, 05:48:07 AM »
No worries man, keep enjoying the holidays  :smiley:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1753 on: September 13, 2019, 04:26:08 AM »
:bump:

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1757 on: September 13, 2019, 06:31:06 PM »
      :bump:
:bump: :bump:
:bump: :bump: :bump:
:jamaritard::jamaritard::jamaritard::jamaritard:
:isyl::itsnotunusual::bosky:
                                                      :riskybiz::lateralus2:
                                             :gadough::vanillaice::yeahbaby:

:mangini:                                             :neverusethis:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1758 on: September 13, 2019, 06:37:41 PM »
So Long, And Thanks For All The GIFs

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1759 on: September 15, 2019, 02:17:39 PM »
:friday:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1760 on: September 16, 2019, 08:02:22 AM »
:footloose:

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1761 on: September 16, 2019, 05:56:59 PM »
Just checking in...

Any updates?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1762 on: September 16, 2019, 06:23:17 PM »
:splodetard:

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1763 on: September 16, 2019, 06:52:35 PM »
:vomitard:

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1764 on: September 16, 2019, 07:38:10 PM »
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1765 on: September 16, 2019, 07:50:19 PM »
both compilations were so boring they put seneca in a coma and now his emotions are battling him from the inside and he won't wake for 20 days

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1766 on: September 16, 2019, 08:25:57 PM »
So it's like a modern day The Human Equation? :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1767 on: September 17, 2019, 05:47:19 AM »
So it's like a modern day The Human Equation? :biggrin:
:hifive:

Offline romdrums

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1769 on: September 17, 2019, 01:52:31 PM »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1770 on: September 17, 2019, 02:27:50 PM »
I'm allergic to dairy in my music.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1771 on: September 22, 2019, 01:33:43 AM »
Im not sure how much weight to give to the opinions of the 9 people who were eliminated and chose to vote.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1772 on: September 22, 2019, 05:30:28 AM »
Im not sure how much weight to give to the opinions of the 9 people who were eliminated and chose to vote.
Maximum weight :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1773 on: September 22, 2019, 12:01:30 PM »

He's a mod, you should listen to him

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1774 on: September 22, 2019, 04:08:11 PM »

He's a mod, you should listen to him
:ariich2:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1775 on: September 24, 2019, 05:59:35 AM »
I realize that since weeks have passed and any momentum we might have built up is all spent now, this is probably pretty anti-climactic, but I want to thank everyone who played along with my wonky photograph themes, chose their own themes and fought enthusiastically. I had a great time and as always recieved some fantastic stuff. Ive already dug into some of the submitted artists and enjoyed them a lot, but Im looking forward to going back and taking my time. Theres not a single one of you who didnt send something that Im looking forward to returning to.

Anyway, the results for the final round...

Nekov - Dream the Electric Sleep

A strong batch of songs here, and although I'm obviously not qualified to say this, it does feel like a good set to represent the band's entire career and various styles.

I could perhaps exaggerate the differences between the longer and the shorter tracks here and say that the shorter ones, in which category I include Sounds Like Magic, Father Francis, and Fist to Face, are a bit hit or miss for me, and that the longer tracks are the big winners, but I think that distinction fails in a couple cases. The strength of all these songs is precisely in the balance -- between accessible and complex, between light and heavy, between delicate vocal melodies and ocassionally, surprisingly sludgy riffs. The shorter and longer songs both incoporate this balance well, and they are all of them better as a result.

That being said, it's true that the biggest winners are the longer tracks. The Joneses is my favorite of the early tracks. I quite like the slower tempo, doomy bit there in the middle. Based on the rest of the songs I wouldnt exactly have expected that sound, but it works really well, and the final minutes of the song (rain on the ground...) are also really satisfying, even if a little bit repetitive. I like Canary as well, and it makes for a good introduction, though I feel the final couple minutes drag on just a touch. The biggest winner of all though, and one of the best songs I recieved this whole roulette, is Elizabeth. It has a loping, galloping thing going on that feels to me like a playful, lucid dream alternative to Maiden. The mood of the song is certainly epic and triumphal, but also somehow frail, like its just barely holding everything together. I love the chorus, the rhythm section, and the dreamy bridge into guitar solo. Seriously, if all the songs were on this level, you would win this matchup without a doubt.

Of the longer tracks, Listen to Me does the least for me. It is by no means bad, I just dont find it as memorable or rewarding -- a shame considering that its the closer. I'd also point to the songs from The Giant's Nest as being somewhat underwhelming. Again, not bad, but Father Francis and We Smell Blood in particular feel somewhat generic. Sounds Like Magic is a mixed bag. It's my favorite of the three from that album, but the chorus falls completly flat for me, to the point where I find it slightly irritating.

Im not surprised that you chose Black Wind for the voting. Although i prefer Elizabeth, the distance separating them isnt that great, and Black Wind does strike me as the safer choice. It's really hard to find fault with anything here. It feels like a really good distillation of what DtES is all about, without ever becoming simplistic. For what its worth, I agree with the majority opinion that this is the better track compared to Nils Frahm.

Elizabeth

Black Wind
The Joneses

Fist to Face
Canary

Sounds Like Magic

Listen to Me
Father Francis
We Smell Blood

Sacul - Nils Frahm

I'm not sure what I was expecting from Nils Frahm, or why I initially found this underwhelming, but once I gave it a solid chance or two and accepted these pieces for what they were and took the time to actively engage with them (its so easy to let music like this fill the background and daydream without actually listening to whats happening), this grew on me a lot.

The biggest difference between this compilation and DTeS is consistency. His has higher highs (not much higher, but higher all the same), but also much lower lows; in fact, I cant identify any lows in these 8 tracks. As well as consistency in quality, this is more cohesive in terms of mood. Although you incorporated both simpler and more complex pieces, longer and shorter, more melodic and more ambient -- it all comes together really well, almost to the point where I could see these tracks all appearing on the same album. And it would be a very good album. Perhaps not my favorite of all the wonderful music you submitted to me throughout the roulette, but certainly up there.

The first couple of tracks remind me of the music of another contemporary composer whom I like a lot, Ludovico Einaudi, but these are perhaps even better than most of Einaudi's work. Unter is proof of that old cliche that sometimes less is more, Familiar is wonderfully introspective, and Keep sets the tone really well. The minimalist Talisman reminds me of the Stars of the Lid song I recieved earlier, for obvious reasons, and again I really like it. It feels to me like Im drifting in space waves -- a wonderfully calming experience. Additionally, it transitions really well into the next track, Some, which I appreciate for getting back to the more organic sound.

It's not really worth me picking favorite tracks, as they are all excellent and serving their purpose really well. The final three tracks, from Says onwards, is maybe the peak part of the listening experience, but that distinction doesnt quite do justice to the earlier tracks and especially Familiar and Talisman, which are so gorgeous. One thing I will say is that Im surprised you chose Keep for the voting. I feel it works really well within the context of the whole, but it's a little less satisfying to me as an individual track than some of the other options. Personally, I wouldve gone for Says, which I rate higher than anything this round except for Elizabeth.

Overall, on the balance of things, Nils Frahm is the better submission for my tastes, but Dream the Electric Sleep is really solid as well, including a couple masterful songs. I suppose thats reflective of both of your submissions throughout the roulette - Sacul very consistent and Nekov less predictable but with some real gems thrown in. I award 8 and 6.5 points for your efforts.

Which only leaves the matter of the mob. 6 people voted for Black Wind and 3 for Keep. If each vote equals one bonus point then the winner is... Nekov!

Congratulations Nekov. I dont know how you managed to survive to the end, much less win the thing, but you did send some fantastic songs throughout the roulette and I would say on the balance of things you deserve it.

Sorry Sacul. I know you'll probably be the last person to see this, but you really caught me off guard in this roulette. Great stuff all around.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Seneca v3 results
« Reply #1776 on: September 24, 2019, 06:34:01 AM »
Nekov snatched victory from Sacul! Nice to see after Sacul bumped him out of winning my last one.  :lol Congrats Nekov and Sacul!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1777 on: September 24, 2019, 06:42:36 AM »
:victorydance:

Congratulations Nekov. I dont know how you managed to survive to the end, much less win the thing, but you did send some fantastic songs throughout the roulette and I would say on the balance of things you deserve it.

Trust me, I am as surprised as you are :lol. I think your assessment is spot on regarding the representation since that is what I was aiming for. These guys create a wide variety of sounds and textures and I thought that should show in the album. Obviously that resulted in some hit and miss but that was expected. As a side note, Listen to me is my favorite song of theirs so it hurts a bit to see it so low in the ranking, but I let that pass since I won  :biggrin:

Anyways, thanks for running the roulette. Even if this last round was a bit too long, the rest was super fun and very original. I love it when a host goes out of the way to make a unique format and you sure achieved that  :smiley:

Nekov snatched victory from Sacul! Nice to see after Sacul bumped him out of winning my last one.  :lol Congrats Nekov and Sacul!
Yeah, revenge feels good  :hat

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1778 on: September 24, 2019, 06:55:39 AM »
So Sacul sent better stuff for your tastes but lost due to our votes? :lol Compared to all my second places in roulettes, this might be even worse than any of them. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1779 on: September 24, 2019, 09:50:23 PM »
Damn, so close again :lol . Congrats Diego!

Sacul - Nils Frahm

I'm not sure what I was expecting from Nils Frahm, or why I initially found this underwhelming, but once I gave it a solid chance or two and accepted these pieces for what they were and took the time to actively engage with them (its so easy to let music like this fill the background and daydream without actually listening to whats happening), this grew on me a lot.

The biggest difference between this compilation and DTeS is consistency. His has higher highs (not much higher, but higher all the same), but also much lower lows; in fact, I cant identify any lows in these 8 tracks. As well as consistency in quality, this is more cohesive in terms of mood. Although you incorporated both simpler and more complex pieces, longer and shorter, more melodic and more ambient -- it all comes together really well, almost to the point where I could see these tracks all appearing on the same album. And it would be a very good album. Perhaps not my favorite of all the wonderful music you submitted to me throughout the roulette, but certainly up there.

The first couple of tracks remind me of the music of another contemporary composer whom I like a lot, Ludovico Einaudi, but these are perhaps even better than most of Einaudi's work. Unter is proof of that old cliche that sometimes less is more, Familiar is wonderfully introspective, and Keep sets the tone really well. The minimalist Talisman reminds me of the Stars of the Lid song I recieved earlier, for obvious reasons, and again I really like it. It feels to me like Im drifting in space waves -- a wonderfully calming experience. Additionally, it transitions really well into the next track, Some, which I appreciate for getting back to the more organic sound.

It's not really worth me picking favorite tracks, as they are all excellent and serving their purpose really well. The final three tracks, from Says onwards, is maybe the peak part of the listening experience, but that distinction doesnt quite do justice to the earlier tracks and especially Familiar and Talisman, which are so gorgeous. One thing I will say is that Im surprised you chose Keep for the voting. I feel it works really well within the context of the whole, but it's a little less satisfying to me as an individual track than some of the other options. Personally, I wouldve gone for Says, which I rate higher than anything this round except for Elizabeth.
I was very nervous after I sent it, thinking it wouldn't really appeal you, but I'm so glad it grew on you! Talisman was the one I had the most doubts about, since I was unsure how it fitted your tastes, but as you mentioned, Starts of the Lid did pretty well earlier in the game, so went with it.

About Keep, I don't know why I went with it :lol . Guess I just love it, and thought most folks wouldn't be arsed to listen to 17-min closing track, but then this is a prog forum so should have gone with it or Says.

Anyways, I'm glad I could introduce you to Nils' work, and hope you have fun digging into his discography. And make sure to check out his wild, intense live performances, this being one of my favorites of all time.

Sorry Sacul. I know you'll probably be the last person to see this, but you really caught me off guard in this roulette. Great stuff all around.
I'm very surprised as well, mostly considering how mediocre I began but slowly rose up in the ranks. Thanks for having me, it was a lot of fun! Btw, I may have some extra stuff if you're interested.

Yeah, revenge feels good  :hat
Top 10 anime final battles.

So Sacul sent better stuff for your tastes but lost due to our votes? :lol Compared to all my second places in roulettes, this might be even worse than any of them. :lol
And I've just lost Buddyhunter's after leading most of it, tough luck :lol . Let's hope I can retain my crown on Katt's...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 10:04:31 PM by Sacul »

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1780 on: September 24, 2019, 11:42:07 PM »
Fun roulette Seneca.  :)

I enjoyed it and it was cool to be able to come back and vote - kept it interesting.