Author Topic: Have I reached peak prog-metal too soon?  (Read 3091 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Have I reached peak prog-metal too soon?
« on: June 22, 2019, 03:27:19 AM »
In discovering Dream Theater first, I'm now beginning to think I may have peaked too early in my discovery of prog-metal. Apart from Haken, whose music I absolutely love, I have tried a few other albums and they don't come anywhere near the grabbing power of DT. I've tried Riverside (Love, Fear and the Time Machine), Seventh Wonder (Tiara) and just this week Threshold (March of Progress), and while they have some enjoyable songs, none have reached the heights of DT. I want to be able to chuckle to myself at an unexpected change in direction. I want wild time signature changes and crazy solos. I want PROG metal!

Everything I'm listening to in the genre I'm comparing with Dream Theater, and it's falling far far short of that high-water mark.

Online MirrorMask

Re: Have I reached peak prog-metal too soon?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 03:42:52 AM »
*Shrug* DT is the only reason why I even discovered prog metal in the first time. Without them I don't think I would have had the ear to digest such a complex genre.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 04:20:57 AM »
The problem I made was that I started my progressive metal journey with Dream Theater. Not a single band was able to top them. As much as I love/like bands like Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Haken, Symphony X, Vola, Caligula's Horse and Evergrey, DT is DT.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 04:50:33 AM »
Well DT is in a legue of their own in that they combine but there is soo much great prog metal out there.

Have you tried (apart from the ones mentioned above)

Gojira
Pain of Salvation
Ayreon
Soul Enema
Ostura
Alcest

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 06:18:52 AM »
There's a metric shit-ton of fantastic prog-metal acts out there.  Not many as well known as DT, or with a 14-album discog.  But there's a ton of music as good as - or better - than DT.  Ya just gotta do a bit of exploring.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 06:50:09 AM »
They're not prog metal in the same vein as the bands you listed, but if you want metal with wild surprises that makes you chuckle to yourself, maybe check out the more metal albums from Toby Driver's past. I would recommend Choirs of the Eye (Kayo Dot) and Bath (Maudlin of the Well)

There's a metric shit-ton of fantastic prog-metal acts out there.  Not many as well known as DT, or with a 14-album discog.  But there's a ton of music as good as - or better - than DT.  Ya just gotta do a bit of exploring.

And this
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 06:50:58 AM »
As much as I love Riverside....I don't think Love/Fear is a good album to start with.   Second Life Syndrome and Anno Domini High Definition are much better starter albums IMO.

Also, Odd Logic are a fantastic band in that same style that you're digging -

Odd Logic - Maiden Child
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmbJXFINPTI
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 06:59:36 AM »
I had sort of the opposite experience. DT was my first prog metal band and probably the first band where I learned their whole discography. I never thought in a million years that another band would dethrone them as my personal favorites. Then I discovered bands like Porcupine Tree, Between the Buried and Me, Haken and Leprous: All bands I'd consider much better than Dream Theater. That's not to say I dislike DT anymore, but I felt they were sort of that "gateway" band for me, and I'm so appreciative of it. I still listen to them here and there, but not religiously like I used to.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2019, 07:10:28 AM »
Also, unless I missed it when I was scrolling through the archives, you haven't done a roulette before. Is that right? I've discovered a lot of great prog metal in roulettes, and most of it probably wouldn't have crossed my radar otherwise.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2019, 07:46:55 AM »

Yes.

I had sort of the opposite experience. DT was my first prog metal band and probably the first band where I learned their whole discography. I never thought in a million years that another band would dethrone them as my personal favorites. Then I discovered bands like Porcupine Tree, Between the Buried and Me, Haken and Leprous: All bands I'd consider much better than Dream Theater. That's not to say I dislike DT anymore, but I felt they were sort of that "gateway" band for me, and I'm so appreciative of it. I still listen to them here and there, but not religiously like I used to.

Also yes.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2019, 08:30:50 AM »
Well, most prog metal (that I have heard) is generic and forgettable, with a few exceptions like Dream Theater and Haken of course. 

Porcupine Tree was not prog metal, so they do not belong in this discussion. 

And while metal is/was Devin Townsend's main genre (not prog metal), I think he has done enough different stuff over the years now that he cannot be pigeon-holed into one subgenre.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2019, 08:33:02 AM »
Well, most prog metal (that I have heard) is generic and forgettable, with a few exceptions like Dream Theater and Haken of course. 

Porcupine Tree was not prog metal, so they do not belong in this discussion. 

And while metal is/was Devin Townsend's main genre (not prog metal), I think he has done enough different stuff over the years now that he cannot be pigeon-holed into one subgenre.

I thought FoaBP was probably the most prog metal they’ve ever been, but I typically don’t think of them as a prog metal band

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2019, 10:22:32 AM »
have you tried getting into heavier prog metal bands
that's basically where i ended up after getting bored of dream theater-type prog

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2019, 10:31:59 AM »
Take on non-clean Vocals?

Have you listened to Between the Buried and Me?

Unexpect? if you want some wild, crazy, out-there shit. Circus Prog Metal in a way

SikTh would be another that falls in this.

or something like Spiral Architect or Zero Hour (Towers of Avarice specifically).

but then again Haken to me always have, and likely always will come across like the plethora of Dream Theater wannabes.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2019, 11:10:16 AM »

but then again Haken to me always have, and likely always will come across like the plethora of Dream Theater wannabes.

Visions *DEFINITELY* hit me that way.   It's still a great album, but there are so many similarities to SFAM.   I swear there's even a chord progression in one of the songs that mirrors the SFAM Overture so closely, that I can't help but think it must be an intentional homage. 

But The Mountain...to me...is completely different.   There are things on that album that DT would never have done in a million years.  That was the album (again, to me) that Haken ceased to be DT-clones and became their own thing.

And then Affinity was even more different.     Vector seems a bit like Affinity's B-sides, but I still have high hopes for them moving forward.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2019, 11:39:06 AM »
Take on non-clean Vocals?

I don't mind a bit, but ideally as few as possible.

They still offer something different to DT. They build on the sound pioneered by DT. The techy, glitchy sounds, the dubstep elements.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2019, 12:20:35 PM »
Yeah, I mean I've always found Haken very different tonally and harmonically to DT, but their general style and instrumentation was extremely DT-like on Visions and to some extent Aquarius. Now, not at all except the odd song here and there (such that when it happens, it's really noticeable, like chunks of The Architect, Puzzle Box and Veil).

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2019, 11:12:36 PM »
As much as I love Riverside....I don't think Love/Fear is a good album to start with.   Second Life Syndrome and Anno Domini High Definition are much better starter albums IMO.
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Soooo much this!! RoeDent, don't write off Riverside until you've at least given Anno Domini High Definition a good listen. I think that album is their best and I would imagine will appeal to you much more than LFatTM. Second Life Syndrome is another good album, but IMO ADHD is much better and is heavier than their other albums.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2019, 12:01:33 AM »
That's how I feel mostly. In the Prog Metal realm, with a few exceptions and what I've heard, the production all sounds the same. Terrible triggered drums, weird, vague, fantastical lyrics, guitarists that try to copy JP, prog for the sake of prog, and nothing new to the table. It just seems like they retread the same path each time. That's why when I do find prog metal that I like, I really like it.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2019, 07:13:54 AM »
Try Leprous cd Bilateral(different and quirky) and some of the music after Bilateral(more straight forward)

Also, try a band from Canada called The Anciients.  Good prog metal with a mix of harsh and clean vocals.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline JLa

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2019, 02:16:00 PM »
Are you looking for something that sounds like DT or something "else" (but still prog metal)? Thing is, lots of bands sound like DT but all those copycats are ... boring. They can never top the original that is DT anyway.

Two of my personal favorites are Opeth (up until they went full 70's prog style) and Porcupine Tree.

Album tips: Blackwater Park (Opeth) and Fear of a Blank Planet (Porcupine Tree). Nothing at all like DT, but great records still.

Oh, if you're into DT and haven't heard the instrumental side project "Liquid Tension Experiment" - do yourself a favour and check it out.  :tup

Offline Lethean

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2019, 10:05:32 PM »
I think there's a lot of great prog metal out there, some of which sounds like DT and some that doesn't.  But I wouldn't go into any of it looking for something to compare to DT or that's going to just blow your mind right away.  You might take some of the suggestions in this thread, listen to the album a couple times, and be like "not as good as DT" but I don't know... I might even agree with that because I'm a huge DT fan, but there are a lot of other great bands to enjoy too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2019, 04:53:31 AM »
Noce pick.  Really good album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2019, 04:58:05 AM »
In discovering Dream Theater first, I'm now beginning to think I may have peaked too early in my discovery of prog-metal. Apart from Haken, whose music I absolutely love, I have tried a few other albums and they don't come anywhere near the grabbing power of DT. I've tried Riverside (Love, Fear and the Time Machine), Seventh Wonder (Tiara) and just this week Threshold (March of Progress), and while they have some enjoyable songs, none have reached the heights of DT. I want to be able to chuckle to myself at an unexpected change in direction. I want wild time signature changes and crazy solos. I want PROG metal!

Everything I'm listening to in the genre I'm comparing with Dream Theater, and it's falling far far short of that high-water mark.

Go listen to the album ESC by Zierler. It sounds like you're in the market for some seriously complex songwriting and real prog elements. You might like that album.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2019, 05:10:00 AM »
I want something that thrills me the way DT thrilled me on first hearing. Tbh, I don't even care if they sound like "DT wannabes". I'll happily give more of that a go.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. To clear a few things up:

1. I own all the Porcupine Tree albums; they're my next-favourite band of all time after DT.
2. And I absolutely love Liquid Tension Experiment 2. Finally picked it up last December.
3. I'm working my way through Ayreon. I bought 01011001 just last week, my fourth Ayreon album in the space of about 10 months.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2019, 05:29:28 AM »
I want something that thrills me the way DT thrilled me on first hearing. Tbh, I don't even care if they sound like "DT wannabes". I'll happily give more of that a go.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. To clear a few things up:

1. I own all the Porcupine Tree albums; they're my next-favourite band of all time after DT.
2. And I absolutely love Liquid Tension Experiment 2. Finally picked it up last December.
3. I'm working my way through Ayreon. I bought 01011001 just last week, my fourth Ayreon album in the space of about 10 months.

On top of my suggestion for Zierler, I also strongly suggest you pick up the two Levin Minnemann Rudess albums since you love LTE. You'll find a LOT to love on those records.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline JLa

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2019, 05:59:36 AM »
I want something that thrills me the way DT thrilled me on first hearing.
Don't we all? Tell me if you come across anything!

In the "copycat" terrain ...

Circus Maximus - Biosfear (instrumental)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-woi0QkNhs

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2019, 07:29:26 AM »
After finishing my DT discovery journey, I thought to myself... did I just ruin music for myself?  How can any band be any better?  Well, here's the thing.  No other band is DT.  So if you are looking for another DT, just stop because that doesn't exist.  So open your mind to other ideas and you'll find music that you'll really enjoy, maybe as much or even more than DT. 

Having said that, I still think DT are the peak of prog-metal for me.  I enjoy lots of other bands now, DT opened up a new genre to me, but no other band as a whole have topped DT.  That's fine, they sit just behind Iron Maiden as my all time favorite band and they have held that spot firmly for a long time now and maybe that won't ever change.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2019, 08:09:18 AM »
That's fine, they sit just behind Iron Maiden as my all time favorite band and they have held that spot firmly for a long time now and maybe that won't ever change.

You saved me a post.  :hat
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2019, 09:19:21 AM »
I don't think they were the peak for me so much as a welcoming coastline for Prog-Metal Island.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2019, 06:31:18 PM »
I want something that thrills me the way DT thrilled me on first hearing.

Don't we all.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ruba

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2019, 06:51:38 PM »
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 06:32:52 AM by Ruba »

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2019, 04:23:48 AM »
I second Pain of Salvation; Remedy Lane is probably a top-5 album of mine. And while it's not DT-technical, it's complex in its own unique way, and you'll be sure to get some feels along the way.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2019, 06:31:06 AM »
After revisiting them the past couple days, I’ll suggest Earthside. They’ve only got one album out so far, but hot damn, what a debut! At their core, they’re an instrumental band, but they did hire various vocalists to guest spot for a few songs which gives each one a unique flavor. They’re not as technical as DT (but really, not many other bands are), but everything is top notch - the songs and arrangements, the musicianship, the production... Easily one of the best debut albums I’ve ever heard. And the whole thing is available to listen to on YouTube if you search for “A Dream in Static.”

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2019, 07:05:25 AM »
I had the same feeling 15 years ago.
I found green pastures with the following bands:

1. Opeth: start with Watershed then Ghost Reveries & Blackwater Park.
2. BTBAM: start with Parallax II then hit Colors.

Bear the growls, you will get redeemed :)

3. Porcupine Tree: start with Anesthetize then In Absentia.
4. Symphony X: start with Paradise Lost then Iconoclast.
5. Neal Morse: try The Similitude of a Dream & The Great Adventure.

Honestly, I envy you ... wish I was in your place and I still have all the above great music to discover.