Author Topic: The ANABASIS (feat. Ryo Okumoto)  (Read 22183 times)

Offline jcmoorehead

Re: The ANABASIS (feat. Ryo Okumoto)
« Reply #140 on: June 20, 2012, 08:20:38 AM »
Listened to this again the other day, album is still fantastic. Cannot wait until the follow up :)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #141 on: June 25, 2012, 10:42:16 AM »
We don't get too many new reviews these days, since the release date was more than 6 months ago, but we got a new 4/5 star review from ProgressoR, and it's one of my favorite reviews of the album, not just because it's a good one, but just the way he wrote it is really cool. 

Offline jsem

« Reply #142 on: June 25, 2012, 10:51:09 AM »
Only listened once, thought Vikings was pretty cool - but the rest.. I can't put my finger on why I didn't enjoy it too much. Solid stuff nonetheless.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: June 25, 2012, 11:51:20 AM »
No album will please everyone.  Glad you at least gave it a shot, though  :tup

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: July 24, 2012, 09:19:36 AM »
Figured it was worth the bump for a cool update.

Samuel Ermellini, lead guitarist for Pyramid Theorem just got in touch with me and told me he'd love to play a guitar solo on The ANABASIS next album!  :eek

Man, I am so excited! Dude is an amazing player! I already have an idea as to what song I want him to play on and with his style and capabilities, I know it's going to be mind-blowing  :hefdaddy

Demos are coming along nicely too.  I've got a mammoth three day studio session scheduled in about two weeks.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #145 on: July 24, 2012, 09:32:29 AM »
SuhWEEEEEEEEETTTTT!!!!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline johnnysuperfan

« Reply #146 on: July 24, 2012, 10:23:50 AM »
Figured it was worth the bump for a cool update.

Samuel Ermellini, lead guitarist for Pyramid Theorem just got in touch with me and told me he'd love to play a guitar solo on The ANABASIS next album!

Man, I am so excited! Dude is an amazing player! I already have an idea as to what song I want him to play on and with his style and capabilities, I know it's going to be mind-blowing  :hefdaddy
Demos are coming along nicely too.  I've got a mammoth three day studio session scheduled in about two weeks.

haha unreal, told ya he's my favorite guitar player. This will be epicccccccc  :tup

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: July 24, 2012, 10:56:06 AM »
Yeah, johnny, this is a very cool development.  Probably couldn't happened with you, so thanks dude  :tup

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #148 on: July 24, 2012, 02:31:46 PM »
Very, very cool. That guy tears shit up.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: August 17, 2012, 02:36:26 PM »
Here's an interesting cover of "The Spirit Carries On" by the lead vocalist of The ANABASIS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5eZ_yl1gwo&feature=player_embedded#!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: August 17, 2012, 06:23:13 PM »
Yeah, I watched that after he posted it on FB.  Very nice delivery.  I'm absolutely in love with his voice.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #151 on: August 14, 2013, 01:35:16 PM »
Hey Barry.....my oldest son (7) noticed The CD in my car I'm assuming because of the cool artwork and was asking me what it was. I told him it was some music, threw it in and he, my middle kid and I were jamming out to it for a bit. I've been spinning it here the past few days after at least 6 months without hearing it. Forgot how much I enjoy those songs and it can't be stressed enough how evident it is sonically that you guys did great taking your time on that.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: August 14, 2013, 02:25:41 PM »
heh, funny that this thread got bumped today.  I haven't talked much about it here, but I bought a new house.  We're moving next week.  One of the big wishlist items for me was an expanded studio and so I am taking the second-largest bedroom in the home and converting it into a full-time, always-on, fully-equipped, modern recording studio.

Also, the second album is pretty much written now.  Recording will commence as soon as I get the new studio up and running (probably about a month from now)

Lee Abraham will be producing and mixing again.  The thing is, I think this time I'm going to make the trip over to Thin Ice studios in London for the drum sessions.  That's not to say I didn't like the drums on Back From Being Gone.  Gerald did a great job.  But I would like to have a bit more creative influence while they're being recorded and that's hard to do on a cell phone call across the Atlantic.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: August 14, 2013, 03:07:03 PM »
Great news!

Fly appeared on the iPhone shuffle the other day and I huge smile jumped onto my face. I still love the album!
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: July 10, 2014, 01:09:34 PM »
Bumpity bump bump bump.  Listening to this for the first time in a while.  It has aged very nicely.

When is #2 coming dude?  I know you've been lining up talent, so give us an update will ya?

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #155 on: February 12, 2015, 08:45:10 AM »
Figured I'd give this thread a bump as I'm listening to "Back From Being Gone" again.  I love this CD and am really looking forward to the next one.  Coming out the same year (I got it the same year anyway) this was a perfect companion to "A Dramatic Turn of Events".  And as much as I like ADToE, I like BFBG more.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 09:05:12 AM by BelichickFan »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: February 12, 2015, 02:41:56 PM »
jeez, really  :omg:   wow, that's an incredible compliment just to be mentioned in the same breath with them.

I've had some health issues that have slowed this process down a bit. But we are still planning another release.

It will be different, though.   I thought it was going to be more metal than prog this time but it's turning out as proggy as anything I've ever written.  The peaks and valleys are further away from each other too.  The moods are sharper.  And the music has a lot of melody, a pretty good dose of bombast in a few spots.  One guy that heard some of it said it sounded like "Transatlantic with balls"  :lol

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #157 on: February 12, 2015, 04:40:33 PM »
jeez, really  :omg:   wow, that's an incredible compliment just to be mentioned in the same breath with them.

I've had some health issues that have slowed this process down a bit. But we are still planning another release.

It will be different, though.   I thought it was going to be more metal than prog this time but it's turning out as proggy as anything I've ever written.  The peaks and valleys are further away from each other too.  The moods are sharper.  And the music has a lot of melody, a pretty good dose of bombast in a few spots.  One guy that heard some of it said it sounded like "Transatlantic with balls"  :lol
Consider yourself complimented then, especially as I'm one of those here for whom DT is my favorite all time band by a fairly wide margin.  Your CD is certainly a thick, dense listen but, yet, is melodic and accessible; what I like the most is the longer tracks never feel forced, they move from part to part in a very natural sounding way.  I hope everyone here has it, it really is a great CD.

Get yourself healthy and we'll be ready for Anabasis Part II.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #158 on: February 12, 2015, 07:47:08 PM »
I'm Sure it will be great, even if it is jazz odyssey.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #159 on: February 12, 2015, 08:18:50 PM »
Just read back through this thread, and a few things come to mind.

First, I have not listened to this album in a LONG time.  I need to remedy that right now.

Second, :rollin @ page 1.

Third, I completely forgot about this somehow:  :(
If you've got instrumental demos that you need vocals on, let me know.
Actually, bosk1, I am going to be in touch pretty soon on that very topic.  I have several demos in various stages right now and I'm going to be looking for a little help with some of them as we discussed before.  I'll be in touch probably in the next couple of weeks sometime.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #160 on: February 12, 2015, 08:47:08 PM »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #161 on: February 12, 2015, 09:09:30 PM »
And sorry for the triple post, but I have to recall my 2011 album rankings:  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=30052.msg1169264#msg1169264

I ranked this album #10.  Which is pretty awesome.  But I have to go back and revise history a bit.  I like Testimony 2, but I have to say, it isn't as good as some of the other stuff that is ranked behind it.  I am bumping it to #7.  Within Temptation and Trivium each move up a spot.  And The Anabsis definitely get to jump up a few spots to #6.  Yeah, this album beat Neal Morse on my list in 2011.  I said it. 

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: February 15, 2015, 06:35:40 AM »
You guys are blowing my mind!   :o

Well, we're buried under about 5 feet of snow here and it's a long weekend, so I'll definitely be putting in some time on this today.   :tup

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #163 on: June 06, 2016, 11:53:25 AM »
If you're around, KNH, any news on the  band ?  I put BFBG on for the first time in a while and still love it which made me wonder how #2 is coming.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: June 06, 2016, 01:36:16 PM »
Hey, yeah, I'm around here usually once or twice a week.  The only thing that's really been preventing me from getting on with #2 is a lack of free time to get it done.   :facepalm:

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #165 on: July 22, 2019, 02:40:12 PM »
As this hasn't been posted,  from Facebook (if you haven't heard Back From Being Gone, you really should consider giving it a try):

The Anabasis
July 20 at 7:34 AM ·
The ANABASIS rides again!
we got the band back together (bless us St. Ignatius)!
we're writing 6 new songs!
a new album!
with new music by barry!
with a new story & lyrics by george!
by god, alert the countryside!
exclamation points!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 04:19:36 PM by BelichickFan »

Offline DTA

« Reply #166 on: July 22, 2019, 03:46:58 PM »
I know Barry from Spock's Beard's old message board and met him personally a couple times. Great dude. I liked the scope of Back From Being Gone but there was too much emphasis on the story/lyrics and the music behind it just didn't support the concept adequately enough for me. I'm hoping the time in between has honed the songwriting a bit more and that the story elements are intertwined with the music better.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #167 on: July 24, 2019, 04:53:57 PM »
I noticed this CD when I pulled out my Alien Fashion Show Disc that was right next to it for a listen. I wondered what happened to both of those bands actually.