Author Topic: Wheel of Time on Amazon  (Read 12479 times)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: Wheel of Time on Amazon
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2021, 08:29:59 PM »
Ooooh, I'm only 3 minutes into episode 6 and I'm super intrigued already! :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2021, 08:54:45 AM »
Pretty good episode. I don't remember most of the books' plot so I'm just letting everything flow and it's good so far.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2021, 09:06:13 AM »
Matt’s an idiot
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2021, 09:58:57 AM »
Another great episode.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2021, 10:00:25 AM »
I loved episode 7.  Great use of bookending the episode to confirm the Dragon Reborn.  Seeing the group travel through the Ways and meeting Min was amazing.  I'm excited to see how it all ends next week!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2021, 05:05:00 PM »
It was a good episode. However, I don't like how they had Moiraine and Rand go into the Blight without the others. Not a change from the books I would have made. :dunno:

I'm also not too keen on how they made The Blight look.... maybe that's just me thinking ahead with how it's going to affect things logistically in the future.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2021, 07:36:30 AM »
I knew nothing about this show and never read the books but i'm enjoying it alot. It's the perfect kind of show during christmas.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Melphina

« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2021, 08:05:18 PM »
It was a good episode. However, I don't like how they had Moiraine and Rand go into the Blight without the others. Not a change from the books I would have made. :dunno:

I'm also not too keen on how they made The Blight look.... maybe that's just me thinking ahead with how it's going to affect things logistically in the future.

I like the look of the Blight but admittedly I am disappointed it is not how the book describes it. I literally opened my copy of EOTW during most of episode 7 just to look stuff up.

I'm disappointed with some of the changes they've made but overall I am happy with the show this far into season 1. The way they showed Rand's mom kicking ass in the Aiel War at the start was AWESOME.

The production values of this show rock. I hope it's well received and that it just gets bigger from here. I can't wait to see Aginor and Balthamel.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2021, 09:22:53 PM »

I like the look of the Blight but admittedly I am disappointed it is not how the book describes it. I literally opened my copy of EOTW during most of episode 7 just to look stuff up.

I'm disappointed with some of the changes they've made but overall I am happy with the show this far into season 1. The way they showed Rand's mom kicking ass in the Aiel War at the start was AWESOME.

The production values of this show rock. I hope it's well received and that it just gets bigger from here. I can't wait to see Aginor and Balthamel.
I do know that Amazon has already signed off on seasons 2 and 3. Season 2 is supposedly almost done filming last I heard.

Speaking of Aginor and Balthamel, I'm curious what exactly they do with the Forsaken in the show. So as not to spoil anything for anyone, I won't say any more. :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Melphina

« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2021, 06:03:26 AM »

I do know that Amazon has already signed off on seasons 2 and 3. Season 2 is supposedly almost done filming last I heard.

Speaking of Aginor and Balthamel, I'm curious what exactly they do with the Forsaken in the show. So as not to spoil anything for anyone, I won't say any more. :corn

Guy who was walking up from the Ways to Fal Dara with that confident strut... Who is that? Hmmmm.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2021, 02:28:31 PM »
Guy who was walking up from the Ways to Fal Dara with that confident strut... Who is that? Hmmmm.

That was Padan Fain, was it not?

I agree about the Blight. I imagined more as a desert or wasteland sort of thing.

The Ways was well done, but why is it Moiraine opening and closing the portals, and not Loial, who was part of the race that originally built them? Seems like they’ve done him out of a job. She even referred to him as “Builder” at one point.

I’m liking the show still, but not loving it yet. I guess it’s hard to shift preconceived ideas from having read the books. There’s still enough to keep me interested in season two though.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2021, 06:27:10 PM »

That was Padan Fain, was it not?

I agree about the Blight. I imagined more as a desert or wasteland sort of thing.

The Ways was well done, but why is it Moiraine opening and closing the portals, and not Loial, who was part of the race that originally built them? Seems like they’ve done him out of a job. She even referred to him as “Builder” at one point.

I’m liking the show still, but not loving it yet. I guess it’s hard to shift preconceived ideas from having read the books. There’s still enough to keep me interested in season two though.
Yeah, that was Padan Fain.

Also, the Blasted Lands would be more desert-like/wasteland (tundra?), I would think. In my head I always imagined the Blight to be more like a sparse and sickly jungle/forest (not the overgrown bramble patch they have depicted in the show). Think lots of oozing things and twisted deformed trees/plants.

I was also extremely disappointed with how they changed the way The Ways work (as far as opening the waygates). Loial (and all Ogier) was done dirty, in my opinion.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Melphina

« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2021, 12:59:32 PM »
Doh, you're right. Fain indeed.

I agree about Loial. Maybe I'm forgetting something but I'm not quite sure why he is with them in the show since he hasn't shown any usefulness and I don't even think they've mentioned his obsession with writing and books. I'll rewatch the season when the finale comes out and see.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2021, 01:09:04 PM »

I agree about Loial. Maybe I'm forgetting something but I'm not quite sure why he is with them in the show since he hasn't shown any usefulness and I don't even think they've mentioned his obsession with writing and books. I'll rewatch the season when the finale comes out and see.

They have hinted that he is a learned scholar, and is extremely familiar with Rand’s heritage. That’s not nothing. If he knows more about Rand’s background than anybody else in the group, that’s going to be some thing that will definitely come in to play
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Melphina

« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2021, 06:15:41 PM »

They have hinted that he is a learned scholar, and is extremely familiar with Rand’s heritage. That’s not nothing. If he knows more about Rand’s background than anybody else in the group, that’s going to be some thing that will definitely come in to play

That's true, but I think he could've shown more than what he has so far just based on book 1. Overall not a big complaint at all, I'm just happy they made his appearance look as good as it does!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2021, 07:07:34 PM »

That's true, but I think he could've shown more than what he has so far just based on book 1. Overall not a big complaint at all, I'm just happy they made his appearance look as good as it does!
I was hoping they would make the Ogier taller (like in the books), but I think for logistical reasons they decided to make them shorter. In the books, Loial is roughly 3-4 feet taller than Rand.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Melphina

« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2021, 07:46:35 PM »
I like how they tried to show that... for all of five seconds before giving up  :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: December 23, 2021, 08:53:13 PM »
Season finale is up fellas! And, wow, what a cold opening. That is exactly how I pictured the Age of Legends in my head. That was perfect! Let's see how the rest of the episode fairs... :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: December 23, 2021, 09:06:10 PM »
Oh come on! 14 minutes into the episode and the entire storyline is ruined.  :censored That's just too big of a change. Do NOT like!!
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: December 23, 2021, 09:57:31 PM »
OK, WHAT. THE. HELL! With 1 episode they managed to basically destroy almost every major plot point of the first book and then some. This is Legend of the Seeker all over again. I'm finding it hard to believe that Harriet McDougal would sign off on this. I'm beyond pissed with the direction they are going. I was all for minor plot changes, an alternate turning of the wheel and all that, but this is just outrageous.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline jammindude

« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2021, 10:05:15 PM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin

I’m sorry POA, but maybe I’m benefiting from not remembering enough of the original story. I’m only picking up the similarities and not the differences.

For a minute, I thought you were just freaking out at the fake out dream. But now I’m not exactly sure of the differences you’re talking about. Maybe you can remind me and put them in small print? Remember I only read the first four books. But I should be somewhat familiar with the story up to this point. Granted, it has been 10 years.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: December 23, 2021, 10:12:58 PM »
I'm absolutely livid with how they ended this season. It's just a major slap in the face to every book reader out there. I need to go do something else for a bit and cool off so I can collect my thoughts on this travesty, that way they aren't an incoherent, rambling, curse-laden rant.  :lol I'll write up my thoughts later.

I'll say this though, it's unfortunate that Amazon has already signed off on Seasons 2 and 3. That just means a screenwriter with a better understanding of the books can't come in and do this series justice any time soon...

And the funny thing is, I was a big defender of this show to book readers until this episode.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline jammindude

« Reply #92 on: December 23, 2021, 10:38:16 PM »
From my extremely vague and distant memory, a lot of the conditions changed, but it seemed like the end result was the same. So I’m not positive about the major changes that you’re insinuating

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #93 on: December 23, 2021, 10:55:38 PM »
I'm absolutely livid with how they ended this season. It's just a major slap in the face to every book reader out there. I need to go do something else for a bit and cool off so I can collect my thoughts on this travesty, that way they aren't an incoherent, rambling, curse-laden rant.  :lol I'll write up my thoughts later.

I'll say this though, it's unfortunate that Amazon has already signed off on Seasons 2 and 3. That just means a screenwriter with a better understanding of the books can't come in and do this series justice any time soon...

And the funny thing is, I was a big defender of this show to book readers until this episode.

This post makes me glad I have no frame of reference being I’ve not read the books. I’m digging the show.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Melphina

« Reply #94 on: December 24, 2021, 03:43:08 AM »
OK, WHAT. THE. HELL! With 1 episode they managed to basically destroy almost every major plot point of the first book and then some. This is Legend of the Seeker all over again. I'm finding it hard to believe that Harriet McDougal would sign off on this. I'm beyond pissed with the direction they are going. I was all for minor plot changes, an alternate turning of the wheel and all that, but this is just outrageous.

Crap. I'm just about to hit play...

EDIT: Okay. Not nearly as upset as I anticipated being hahaha. I'm okay with these changes, I think. I actually quite enjoyed this episode even if the end uh... had me scratching my head a bit.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 06:21:11 AM by Melphina »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2021, 08:07:54 AM »
Huh I quite liked the episode tbh, it didn't blow me away but I thought it was a decent way to end the first season. I'm not sure why they chose to cut Moiraine from the source this early (or at all), that bugs me a bit though.

EDIT: Ok yeah I've been going through some comments on Reddit and now I understand a bit more and realize the whole episode is a bit of a mess :lol
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 08:21:54 AM by Sacul »

Offline Melphina

« Reply #96 on: December 24, 2021, 08:58:41 AM »
Why the hell did the Amyrlin refer to LTT as the Dragon Reborn :facepalm:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: December 24, 2021, 10:34:13 AM »

This post makes me glad I have no frame of reference being I’ve not read the books. I’m digging the show.

This. Maybe ya’ll who are familiar with the books need to start a “Everything wrong with the Wheel of Time on Prime” thread.  :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jammindude

« Reply #98 on: December 24, 2021, 10:38:30 AM »
I would actually enjoy seeing the differences without the emotional outburst just to have a frame of reference. Sometimes I think the difference between interpretations is a fascinating subject. It’s just that people get emotionally attached to the source material.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: December 24, 2021, 11:08:49 AM »
I would actually enjoy seeing the differences without the emotional outburst just to have a frame of reference. Sometimes I think the difference between interpretations is a fascinating subject. It’s just that people get emotionally attached to the source material.

Oh, I get it. I skipped both The Stand, and The Dark Tower because I heard they were both terrible adaptations.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #100 on: December 24, 2021, 12:03:01 PM »
Some of the changes are just egregious. Lews Therin is not Reborn. He IS the dragon. Not a minute detail. Nor is literally changing the entire ending of the first book, as there is a LOT of important and practical stuff that they have entirely omitted from the show so far. That they haven't even shown the pivotal prologue encounter with Lews and Ishamael is enormous for those familiar with the books as it gives us an understanding of the power of the Dragon.

I'm not as incensed about the changes as others but I can't say people aren't wrong for being very upset. I still love the show but hope for less wild changes in the future although I'm sure I'll be upset if I hold to that.

That they didn't show two of the Forsaken like they should have genuinely does annoy me. That was a great climax in the book.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: December 24, 2021, 04:01:23 PM »

This. Maybe ya’ll who are familiar with the books need to start a “Everything wrong with the Wheel of Time on Prime” thread.  :lol

Ill +1 to this, if the book readers are upset then I'm glad I didn't read the books.  The show is decent, I don't think this season was "special" but it was good enough to want to continue to watch.  I got all caught up today. For some reason I thought there was going to be 1 more episode though.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: December 24, 2021, 04:01:52 PM »
OK, fair warning. THIS ENTIRE POST WILL BE LITTERED WITH SPOILERS both from all the books and the show. Don't read any further if you don't want spoilers..

OK. So the biggest problems I have with what they changed in the show is there is now no sense of character growth, no growth in power, no sense of mystery to the world, omissions of major characters and plot lines, changes to major plot lines, characters doing things that make no sense, some characters being way overpowered too soon, etc. etc.

Rand and Moiraine going into the Blight by themselves was bad enough, but now you have Moiraine just handing Rand access to THE most powerful Sa'angreal in the world for male channelers, with seemingly no consequences. Why does Moiraine have this? How could she possibly know what it is, let alone that it's the most powerful Sa'angreal for male channelers? Not to mention the fact that 3rd age Aes Sedai don't even know the Choedan Kal even exist. Then there is the fact that what she gave Rand is just an access key Ter'angreal for the Choedan Kal. And yet she kept calling it a Sa'angreal.... So now Rand is already walking around with the most powerful Sa'angreal in his back pocket... The Choedan Kal shouldn't have been introduced until the next season and it shouldn't have been used until the cleansing of the source.

Now let's talk about The Eye of the World. Moiraine knows damn well what it is and what it's for. At least she is supposed to. Also The Green Man is supposed to be the caretaker of The Eye. Where was he? He was a major part of the climactic battle in the book and a source of Knowledge to both Perrin and Rand (one of the many reasons all of them should have been at the Eye). Where were Balthamel and Aginor? They were the ones that were supposed to confront Rand at the Eye. Ishamael shouldn't have even been there. Also they found a piece of Cuendillar, but no mention of it being a seal on the Dark One's prison. It obviously wasn't. They didn't find the Dragon Banner there. They didn't find the Horn of Valere there, like they were supposed to. Speaking of the horn, why the hell was it just buried in concrete in the throne room of Fal Dara. It was supposed to have been lost since the Age of Legends. Why is Moiraine cut off from the source here? Where the hell is Rand going off by himself? Moiraine would never let him go alone at this point in time, considering everything she has worked for her entire life since becoming Aes Sedai.

Let talk about the battle at Tarwin's Gap. First of all, Lord Agelmar isn't supposed to die here, but this isn't the most egregious death (we'll circle back to this). Lady Amalisa (an untrained, extremely underpowered channeler) would never have been made a last stand option for stopping the Trollocs, along with other clearly untrained channelers. Not to mention Nynaeve and Egwene being there. They were supposed to be at the Eye.... It's also unlikely Lady Amalisa would know how to link with other channelers let alone so easily. Also, I'm fairly certain you can't burn out other channelers linked with you by drawing too much power from them (I would have to look into this further, because I can't remember). You can burn yourself out, if you are leading the circle.

Now onto the two worst changes. Padan Fain kills, not only Uno, but Loial as well............What?!?!? That doesn't even make sense. Loial is a major major character throughout the books. This series may as well die with him. Oh, but maybe he isn't dead, since apparently Egwene can heal death?!?!? It isn't explained at all in the show, but she seemingly brings Nynaeve back to life. This doesn't make sense and is not a part of any of the books in any way. So I guess that's an easy way to add artificial drama to the show. Character dies? No problem, have Egwene bring them back to life. I sincerely hope this isn't what they are doing, but it sure seemed that way.

Way to ruin an incredible story in just 8 episodes. Congratulations Rafe Judkins, you are now on my shit list. After you talked so much about being as faithful as possible to the books, without making too many major changes, you killed the story in one fell swoop.

RIP Wheel of Time TV series.

Also what the hell were the Sul'dam and Da'mane doing at the end of the episode? Making a Tsunami? Why? UUUUGGGGHHH. This episode had to common sense and broke so many of the rules set in place in the Wheel of Time universe.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online Grappler

« Reply #103 on: December 24, 2021, 07:22:13 PM »
I learned two things from watching Game of Thrones:

1.  Expect a lot of editorial changes
2.  Let go of the comparisons to the books and enjoy the show for what it is.

Number two made the TV show a hell of a lot more fun for me to watch.   I'd show up to work on Monday mornings, and my coworkers would spend an hour complaining about the hour they spent watching GOT.  Why would you watch a show if it just makes you complain?  Let go of what it isn't, and take it for what it is.  I'm not a fan of some of the changes they made to Wheel of Time, but tearing it apart just isn't worth it to me.  I have too many other things in my life that are more important than whether or not a TV show is page for page accurate to the books.  Cramming a HUGE book into 8 episodes is impossible.

I read an interesting interview with Rafe Judkins tonight and he confirmed a few things:

1.  Loial is not dead.  His potential death cliffhanger is purposeful, to prepare viewers for real character deaths on the show.  Characters on the show will be killed off, whereas they lived on from book to book.  They have to do this because the show can't sustain 2,000 characters throughout the seasons, where the books could do that. 

I think this will be similar to what GOT did with Sansa Stark - they assigned some of Arya's book plot to her, which helped condense the story for television. 

2.  Rafe also confirmed that Moiraine will remain on the show (I read this to mean that she will not disappear as she does in the books).  They can't just put Rosamund Pike on the bench, being their biggest-name actor, then bring her back 8 seasons later. 

Honestly, I'm taking this show like The Walking Dead - the early seasons were fantastic, even though they meandered through various touchpoints from the book, rather than adapting them scene for scene.  So to me, the location of the Horn of Valere doesn't matter...the fact that they actually brought it into the show is what matters. 

Overall, it was a season meant to confirm the identity of the Dragon Reborn and set up the story for future seasons.  Amazon plans to adapt all 14 books, and increased the budget for season 2.  So we'll see how it goes. 

Online Grappler

« Reply #104 on: December 24, 2021, 08:01:10 PM »
Also, this is a different interview with Rafe, but he goes into a lot of the changes, especially at the end.  In the book, Rand does everything on his own.  He split that up, so the ensemble cast had something to do, other than just stand there and watch Rand do everything. 

https://decider.com/2021/12/24/the-wheel-of-time-season-1-ending-explained-showrunner-interview-seanchan-moiraine-amazon-prime-video/