Author Topic: Wheel of Time on Amazon  (Read 12430 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Wheel of Time on Amazon
« on: June 19, 2019, 04:01:15 PM »
Didn't even know this was a thing, though I'd imagine it'll be quite an undertaking with the bazillion pages in the series itself. Never read through them, but their reputation makes me excited nonetheless...

http://epicstream.com/news/JakeVyper/Amazons-Wheel-of-Time-Casts-Its-First-Actor-Confirms-Brandon-Sandersons-Involvement?utm_content=buffere9325&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=epicbuffer&fbclid=IwAR1ECUOC9o9Y-mCKjreVceybXtPnI_SMuT1l0pxG1sJQg-vsoLfgPyxT8ls

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Wheel of Time on Amazon
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 04:28:14 PM »
Been following this for quite some time, I know we have a couple other big WoT fans here that are also excited. About time they started announcing the cast. I think she has just the right face for Moiraine. I imagine they'll be dying her hair brown, of course.

The books are interesting. Uneven and sometimes a downright slog, but when they're good, boy they're awesome.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 04:31:01 PM »
Yeah my days of piling through a 15- 1000 page book series are long gone, so I'm glad they got it rolling.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 05:45:56 PM »
Sanderson said that there are some changes to make this translate better to TV.  He is fully behind these choices so that the TV show is a bit different than the books and not just a scene by scene copy of them.  I like that.

I've watched Bosch and Jack Ryan and love them both, so I trust Amazon and the showrunner for WoT seems to really know the series well.  I'm excited!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 06:02:03 PM »
How much of the runtime will be women adjusting their skirts?

Online Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 05:09:22 AM »
And how much will be about men bitching about women and women bitching about men?
It's been a while since I read these books but I seem to remember there being a lot of that. :lol How any babies get born at all in this universe is beyond me.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 10:53:45 AM »
They better get Nynaeve a wig for all the braid tugging she's gonna be doing. That poor woman will rip her hair out in one season.

They should get Diana Rigg to play Cadsuane.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 07:10:59 PM »
And how much will be about men bitching about women and women bitching about men?
It's been a while since I read these books but I seem to remember there being a lot of that. :lol How any babies get born at all in this universe is beyond me.

Definitely. There's lots about the books that's fantastic, but there's a lot that's infuriating, too. Like the romances, for example, holy fuck.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2021, 01:37:21 PM »
For those that missed it. The Wheel of Time Trailer dropped a couple days ago. I am so hyped for this!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fus4Xb_TLg

I don't care that they've had to make changes to adapt it to the TV medium. You can't simply do a scene for scene copy, it wouldn't work. Especially with all the inner dialogue that we get in the books.
I just look at it like another "turning of the Wheel", instead of the exact story of the books. As long as the show is good, that's good enough for me.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2021, 02:50:31 PM »
Thankfully I never read the books lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2021, 03:11:04 PM »
Thankfully I never read the books lol
That's another reason they needed to make changes. For the people who have not read the books. Doing a scene by scene copy would leave a lot of people confused, I would imagine.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2021, 04:22:20 PM »
I've read the entire series twice and am so excited for this show!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2021, 09:47:57 AM »
I always wanted to read this series, but frankly, it's too fucking long for me to devote that much time to it.

But I'm looking forward to the series, for sure.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2021, 01:44:30 PM »
I only got up to book 5 about ten years ago but my sister's been whipping me to finish the series. She's meh about the trailer and so are most of my other WoT-loving friends. Hoping season 1 lines up with one of my visits home so we can line up and have a watch party like in the good old days of Game Of Thrones, because whatever Amazon thingy you have to get to watch this, I'm not getting it.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2021, 03:21:20 AM »
My expectations are pretty much zero for this. I'll have a watch when it comes out, but if it's crap, I'll move on and not worry about it. I have the same attitude for the upcoming LOTR series too.

It will be interesting to see how the fantasy elements come across, as I'd say that WoT is fantasy-heavy, but if it's done more in a Game of Thrones style, then I'd call that fantasy-light. I don't think that would work. I think the Witcher did a good job of presenting the fantasy elements, so something close to that direction may work.

Obviously they are going to have to take a hatchet to an awful lot of the characters in the books, and just try to pare it down to the main ones.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2021, 05:44:29 AM »
The first three episodes are out!  I thought that they were really good, and it's pretty neat to see Aes Sedai, Myrddraal and Trollocs on screen.  The last time I read the series was about 7 years ago, so the first book isn't terribly fresh in my mind.  They seemed to hit the major moments that I can remember.  Looking forward to the rest of the episodes!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2021, 06:45:23 AM »
Yay!!! More shit to watch!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2021, 07:04:12 AM »
Oh cool, didn't know this was starting.  All the recent commercials just said "coming soon".
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2021, 07:19:23 AM »
Watched the 1st episode last night and really liked it.  I haven't read the books, so I'm judging strictly by what I see on the screen.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2021, 07:24:00 AM »
Got this on my watchlist for sure. Looks intriguing ... even though I've never read any of the literature.  Same had been said for The Witcher, so while I'm not sure what to expect with this, I do expect to be entertained.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2021, 08:34:23 AM »
Got this on my watchlist for sure. Looks intriguing ... even though I've never read any of the literature. 

Same. Have seen the advertisements and watched some trailers.....looks intriguing enough. I'm certain I'll give it a whirl.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2021, 10:54:59 AM »
I only got through 1 book and half of another... it was decent stuff, but also felt like a bit of a slog.  I'll be checking this show out.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2021, 08:39:35 AM »
I’m watching the 3rd episode right now. I have to say, I’m pleasantly surprised so far. I knew the series was in development, but I haven’t been paying to too much attention so’s not to spoil it for myself.

The casting is good. Rand, Perrin, Mat and Lan match up pretty well to how I imagined them. Rosamund Pike looks weird with dark hair, but I think she’s a good Moiraine. The only one that feels off to me is Egwene. Maybe she’ll grow on me.

The trollocs are really well done - a good mixture of practical design and cgi. I think they may have taken some influence from the Uruk Hai in LOTR.

I have seen some complaints online about changes from the books, but that was always going to be inevitable. There’s no way to adapt a book series like this with such a complex world, and the sheer amount of characters that WoT has, without taking a taking a hatchet to it.

The real test will be to see if they can preserve the overall tone and direction of the story.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2021, 09:05:06 AM »
I’m a little shocked that they didn’t choose to go with a book per season. My understanding is that they’re going to try and cover the first two or three books in season one. I think it’s a big mistake. You’ve got probably the most loyal fantasy following in history with the exception of Lord of the rings itself. I’m positive that they would support 13 or 14 season show.

Having said that, rand was the only one who seemed out of place to me. Everyone else truly looked like they came from that village. The guy who played rand looked like he had just come from Beverly Hills. I thought his look was way out of place with the tone. Everyone else was cast very well and Mat was PERFECT.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2021, 09:15:07 AM »
Apparently Mat is going to be recast for season 2!  :lol

I think his casting was good too. He has that cockiness, but you can real potential for a good story arc, if handled properly.

A book per season would be interesting, but I wonder if they are playing it safe and not wanting to commit to 14 years of development?

At least it won’t be like GoT where they run out of source material, and the quality takes a nose dive.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2021, 09:41:54 AM »
Apparently Mat is going to be recast for season 2!  :lol

I think his casting was good too. He has that cockiness, but you can real potential for a good story arc, if handled properly.

That is extremely disappointing. I thought he captured his character better than anyone else on the show. His look and his swagger completely nailed the character.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2021, 09:43:12 AM »
Also, we are two episodes in and I have yet to see any braid tugging. What’s up with that?  :rollin

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2021, 09:57:45 AM »
Also, we are two episodes in and I have yet to see any braid tugging. What’s up with that?  :rollin

:lol

There’s a mention of a braid in the first 5 mins or so that made me chuckle. If they’re true to the books, Nynaeve will need a wig by time the last season airs.

Not sure why the Mat actor was recast. I’ll have to do some digging.

I do like the fact that they’ve went with pretty much unknowns for the main characters. I think it will help with character development over the seasons.

I noticed that Harriet McDougal (Robert Jordan’s widow and editor) and Brandon Sanderson (writer of the last 3 books) are both consulting producers, so hopefully that will help to keep things on track and true to the books.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2021, 03:12:27 PM »

Having said that, rand was the only one who seemed out of place to me. Everyone else truly looked like they came from that village. The guy who played rand looked like he had just come from Beverly Hills. I thought his look was way out of place with the tone. Everyone else was cast very well and Mat was PERFECT.
You know that is intentional right? I don't want to go into spoilers for those who haven't read the books, but he looks how he is supposed to.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline jammindude

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2021, 03:57:44 PM »

You know that is intentional right? I don't want to go into spoilers for those who haven't read the books, but he looks how he is supposed to.

I read the first four. So I kind of get it. But it’s not like it’s just that he didn’t come from that village. It’s that he looks like he just stepped out of a Beverly Hills salon

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2021, 04:25:50 PM »

I read the first four. So I kind of get it. But it’s not like it’s just that he didn’t come from that village. It’s that he looks like he just stepped out of a Beverly Hills salon
Fair enough.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Grappler

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2021, 06:43:28 AM »
From what I read, it isn't that they are adapting several books at once, but just moving parts of what happened in later books into earlier seasons. 

So a few or scenes or events from books 2 and 3 may show up in season one.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2021, 08:18:32 AM »
Thankfully I didn't read the books so I'm not tainted going in.  :lol

Watched the first two last night, entertaining enough to carry on with it.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2021, 12:16:21 PM »
Having read the books multiple times (it's my favorite book series), I actually don't mind most of the changes they have made. Considering the nature of the Wheel of Time universe, I just consider the TV show an alternate turning of the wheel.

Admittedly, there are some character omissions/additions that I'm not too happy with, but I can live with it.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2021, 01:18:43 PM »
I watched the first episode and really enjoyed it, more than I expected actually since I'd read some discussion on it and knew a lot of people weren't super happy with it. It probably helps that I consider the books in general to be 50/50 between great stuff and annoying bullshit, so I really don't mind the changes that they're making.

I also saw some people complaining about the CGI, which makes me think some of these motherfuckers haven't watched enough Doctor Who, because I think the CGI looks fine.