Poll

Should everyone in Round 8 have to send the same type of submission?

Yes - the higher seeds will vote on their preference for EP, Greatest Hits, Album
No - each higher seed can choose for their respective matchup

Author Topic: Seneca v3 results  (Read 78378 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Seneca v3 The Peoples Roulette, R6 HANG
« Reply #1155 on: July 30, 2019, 02:11:07 PM »
 :facepalm: AWESOME song. That's a tough one to beat.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Seneca v3 The Peoples Roulette, R6 Themes
« Reply #1156 on: July 30, 2019, 02:30:51 PM »
 Ruba: Dance Gavin Dance - Man of the Year
 Romdrums: Bill Bruford’s Earthworks - No Truce With the Furies
 Lethean: Enchant - At Death's Door
 Stadler: Duran Duran - Ordinary World
 Kat: Incognito - Jacaranda
 J Boy: Arch Enemy - You Will Know My Name (Live)
 LordCost: Arcane Roots - Curtains
 :huh: Oathbreaker - Second Son of R.
 Evermind: So Hideous - Yesteryear
 :huh: Frantic Amber - Ghost
 Parama: Xanthochroid - Walk with Me O Winged Mother
 Ariich: Blue Food - Joker Face
 :huh: Jinjer - Pisces
 Nekov: Kiev - Ariah Being
 Puppies: Oathbreaker - Needles in Your Skin

TPWRMCALSOBN

TAC
FlyingBIZKIT
Tomislav

Unfortunately I'm skipping the first impressions this round, on account of needing a lot of time to pack my apartment (I'm moving in a week). I'm still going to try to have the results posted by Thursday, but I'm straining under the weight of errands not-yet-run. Overall impressions of the round though:

There will be significant shifts in the group standings, a couple of the most consistently excellent participants sent duds, it has (mostly) been a good round for the theme selectors but not a good round for overall quality, and there are a couple songs that I have trouble getting to the end of.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1157 on: July 30, 2019, 02:41:10 PM »
I can't believe Parama stole my song this round...

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1158 on: July 30, 2019, 03:31:09 PM »
I CAN believe I suck at female growls.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1159 on: July 30, 2019, 04:54:22 PM »
Hell yeah last place :metal

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1160 on: July 30, 2019, 06:51:51 PM »
Nice
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1161 on: July 30, 2019, 10:30:50 PM »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1162 on: July 31, 2019, 05:31:38 PM »
I CAN believe I suck at female growls.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1163 on: August 01, 2019, 10:07:18 AM »
Results will be posted later today  :corn

Average scores of each group:

Group C (wind instruments): 7
Group A (grief/mourning): 6
Group B (female growls): 5.875
Group D (screams): 5.25

« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 11:53:26 AM by senecadawg2 »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1164 on: August 01, 2019, 10:10:01 AM »
Glad to bring down my group's average again  :metal

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1165 on: August 01, 2019, 10:27:39 AM »
Pretty sure either I fucked up our group score, or we all just did poorly. :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1166 on: August 01, 2019, 10:28:47 AM »
 :hat Go team!!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1167 on: August 01, 2019, 10:34:07 AM »
Sent my theme for consideration too in order to speed things along, let's see if it's accepted :corn

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1168 on: August 01, 2019, 10:36:40 AM »
Pretty sure Tim fucked our group AND we all did poorly. :lol

Fix'd.

Good thing nothing carries over in to the next phase for those that do move on.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1169 on: August 01, 2019, 10:49:03 AM »
Hang on, aren't we group C for wind instruments? Are the themes the wrong way round or the scores?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1170 on: August 01, 2019, 10:50:11 AM »
Hang on, aren't we group C for wind instruments? Are the themes the wrong way round or the scores?

Oh shit, just noticed that. I was getting excited already

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1171 on: August 01, 2019, 10:52:40 AM »
Plot twist: Nelson got the themes wrong and everyone from wind instruments group and female growls group got -2 to their scores.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1172 on: August 01, 2019, 10:55:11 AM »
Plot twist: Nelson got the themes wrong and everyone from wind instruments group and female growls group got -2 to their scores.

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1173 on: August 01, 2019, 11:15:14 AM »
Oh shit i got the groups mixed up. The scores do match the themes though, so wind instruments do have the highest average.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1174 on: August 01, 2019, 11:17:46 AM »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1175 on: August 01, 2019, 11:18:04 AM »
Oh shit i got the groups mixed up. The scores do match the themes though, so wind instruments do have the highest average.

I was happy when I didn't pay attention the first time and I'm still happy now! :neverusethis:

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1176 on: August 01, 2019, 11:50:02 AM »
Waiting for the next round already  :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1177 on: August 01, 2019, 12:00:18 PM »
Next round I guess I should send a 10 minute sax solo

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1178 on: August 01, 2019, 01:42:54 PM »
In that case

:hat Go team!!
Yeah! :hat

I can only apologise for my round 4 theme bringing our overall average down.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1179 on: August 01, 2019, 02:02:41 PM »
You should apologize to Seneca for making us send him bad songs  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1180 on: August 01, 2019, 02:08:56 PM »

Was that rounds average score from your group lower than the screamo and chick-growls this round?

Edit  Yes and no:

5.375 (Non-English vocals)

So, whoever picked screamo... they owe the biggest apologies.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1181 on: August 01, 2019, 02:27:11 PM »
Round 6 Results

Group A

Stadler: Duran Duran – “Ordinary World”

In a group of decent–good songs, none of which really grabbed me, this was my favorite. It's just a really solid, warm ballad that stays on point but never feels tiresome. Definitely has a strong 80s vibe (I realize now that it was actually released in the 90s but the point remains), which I quite enjoy. It's not fascinating stuff from a compositional standpoint, but I'm certainly going to be checking this album out in the future. 7

Cyril: Xanthochroid – “Walk with Me O Winged Mother”

I know you were surprised to see that I picked this song rather than the Hunstmen, but this one just interested me a lot more. It's obviously from a concept album, or at least I assume it is(?) Very cinematic and story-driven, which drew me in. I like the hard fantasy texture of it—reminds me a lot of LOTR in certain places. For instance, when the song intensifies at around the 3:10 mark, I can't help but think of the industrialization of Isengard and destruction of Fangorn Forest. 6.5

Lethean: Enchant – “At Death’s Door”

Sonically, this song reminds me a lot of WDADU-era DT, which initially turned me off but I eventually got over. I actually own one of their later albums as well, which unfortunately I never really got into, but this song was better than I remember that album being. The vocals are good (I like Ted Leonard in Spock's Beard and Harmagedon is a great album that Chad introduced me to in my first roulette) and musically the song is engaging enough. It does ultimately feel a bit generic prog rock for me though, with no moments in particular that knock me off my feet. 6

Sacul: Giles Corey – “Blackest Bile”

I was intrigued at the beginning of the song—the distant humming sets the mood well. But the song quickly lost me. I'd say this is by far the most sedated and uninteresting song you've submitted so far. I see this is related to Have a Nice Life, which makes sense, cause I've never been a big fan of them apart from a couple songs and their preposterously-named songs. Like HaNL, this Giles Corey piece sounds like it was recorded in the basement next door, and it does a good job of evoking a certain mood but not evoking much of an emotional response in me. It's by no means the worst song of the round or roulette, but I don't get it. 4.5

Group B

Jingle.boy: Arch Enemy – You Will Know My Name (Live)

Excellent female growling and clearly one of the best songs of the round. It definitely has that live recording energy to it, which I suspect adds quite a lot. The riffs are good, the solo is nice and appropriate (though not really mind-blowing), and the song has a really nice hook. Or perhaps it's just that this song looks better than it is alongside the more mediocre submissions in the group? 7

TAC: Frantic Amber – “Ghost”

This is good exercise metal—I can see myself taking this out on the road for runs. It has a good, galloping kind of energy to it that keeps things moving along well. As for the female growls, since that's what this round is all about, I'm rather impressed. Musically I'm not as smitten with this one as with Arch Enemy, but in terms of the growls themselves I think this vocalist takes the cake. This song is almost the same length as the Oathbreaker song below, but it feels about half as long. 6

FlyingBIZKIT: Jinjer – “Pisces”

I thought this was a decent song for the theme; unfortunately I don't think it's a great song aside from the theme. The clean sections are not super exciting, the guitar work a bit djenty for my tastes in some of the heavier parts, and the mermaid theme kind of goofy. I don't know if I'm imagining it, but there are sections with a bit of an Opeth vibe, which I do like, but otherwise this song is pretty forgettable. Sorry these themes are restricting you so much  :'( 5

Tomislav: Oathbreaker – “Second Son of R.”

Wow, this song is really brutal. I didn't know women were capable of such ferocious anxiety. No—who am I kidding—of course I knew they were capable. But as a song, this one doesn't appeal to me. I find her clean singing more grating than her harsh vocals, which is really saying something. Musically, this song is a bit too unrelenting for my tastes. Around 2:30 it shifts nicely into a different kind of groove, but the clean vocals quickly come in to put me off once again. You've been so fantastically consistent and sent me some of my favorite songs of the roulette so far, but this song is one to forget. Her terrifying gasp-screams at the end-and-climax of the song pretty much fit my mood when listening to this song. 4

Group C

Ariich: Blue Food – Joker Face

You're nailing the funkier submissions this roulette. Similar to the Bizali track earlier, it's hard for me to sit still while listening to this one. The horns do a really job of pulling things together, but also of accompanying when appropriate (see ~3:30). Speaking of that moment at 3:30, I really like the way the song eases off in middle section, stripping itself down to almost nothing but bass, before gradually building itself back toward its conclusion. Fun song—I'm looking forward to checking the album out. 8

Nekov: Kiev – “Ariah Being”

Slick song, this one. I'm impressed by how well it eases in and out of chaos (~3:20–3:40 is the first part that comes to mind) and teases with expectations without ever wobbling in the slightest. The beat is persistent and the vocals cool (if somewhat detached), but its the keyboardist who pulls everything together really well. Pulsing energy makes for a really inviting song. 7.5

Romdrums: Bill Bruford’s Earthworks – “No Truce with the Furies”

I guess I shouldn't have been too surprised to see Bruford at the center of such solid Jazz music considering that was such a strong part of the DNA of King Crimson. And Yes, he's a great drummer and an important part of some of my favorite albums of all time. It's the other musicians who make this work though, and each of their contributions is important, but I especially want to shout out the dude on the keys. The Plini track was pretty cool too, but this one just edged it out. Unfortunately for you, however, the group again performed well across the board. 6.5

Kattelox: Incognito – “Jacaranda”

There's almost nothing separating this song from the Bill Bruford track above. Both are better-than-average instrumental tracks with memorable motifs and central roles for the wind instruments. The main difference is in their general mood and presentation; whereas Earthworks impresses in the classic Jazz mold, this one takes more of a back door approach. It's not uber tight in the same way as Bill Bruford's, but it benefits from being a little less predictable as well. Acid jazz, indeed. 6.5

Group D

Ruba: Dance Gavin Dance – “Man of the Year”

What sets this song apart from the other songs in the group is that it's much more dynamic (Arcane Roots to a certain extent, too). At first I found the transitions between heavy and clean a bit jarring, but I grew to like its wild ways. I think it's something to do with the high register and the way the clean vocals are enunciated, but I'm getting a strong Coheed and Cambria vibe from this song that I quite like. The other thing I like about it is that its able to pair its heaviest parts with a kind of bouncy, carnival atmosphere. One of your better submissions, and I'm looking forward to checking it out. 7

LordCost: Arcane Roots – “Curtains”

Given that this one was talked up a bit earlier in the roulette, I had high expectations coming in. And I can see why a lot of people would like it. It's a nice build up—feels like swimming upwards from deep water, toward the light—and by building up relatively slowly I think earns its intensity by the end. It's not incredibly exciting or interesting to me, but it really nails the mood department. I could see this growing on me with further listens, in the context of the full album. Is this the best album to check out further? 6.5

Puppies: Oathbreaker – Needles in your skin”

Perhaps the strangest thing about this song is that I preferred it to your other submission, which was creepy as all get out. You can see what I said for Tomi's song—pretty much all of it applies here, too. Really—I hope to never hear Oathbreaker again. 4

Evermind: So Hideous – “Yesteryear”

You took a risk in sending me this song and unfortunately for you it didn't pay off. This is certainly a new low for the round, but also for the roulette as a whole. When I mentioned there being songs that I had trouble getting to the end of, this was most definitely on my mind. I think it's interesting that you compared this to Deafheaven in your submission, because there are certainly some similarities here, but overall I don't think the comparison is favorable for So Hideous. Deafheaven (Sunbather in particular) has, to my ears, a much warmer and inviting sound to it than this song (despite also being really heavy). More of a comforting post-rock texture, whereas this feels more sterile and classical to my ears. The orchestral aspects of the song don't do much for me, and the vocals are so one-note that I find myself wanting to plug my ears. Sorry bud. I wish I could be more positive. 3.5

Standings (italicized contestants can still take advantage of the double-submission perk)

Group A

Sacul 17 + 4.5 = 21.5
Stadler 13 + 7 = 20
Lethean 14 + 6 = 20
Cyril 9 + 6.5 = 15.5

Group B

jingle.boy 15 + 7 = 22
Tomislav 15.5 + 4 =19.5
--
FlyingBIZKIT 13.5 + 5 = 18.5
TAC 12 + 6 = 18

Group C

Ariich 14 + 8 = 22
Nekov 13 + 7.5 = 20.5
--
Kattelox 13.5 + 6.5 = 20
Romdrums 12.5 + 6.5 = 19

Group D

LordCost 14.5 + 6.5 = 21
Evermind 16 + 3.5 = 19.5
--
Puppies 14 + 4 = 18
Ruba 9 + 7 = 16

Jingle and LordCost, neither of whom finished in the top 8 of rounds 1-3, take the lead for the first time! Remember that after Round 7, half will be eliminated. A couple of you are going to need to send fantastic songs and hope for some luck (Cyril and Ruba), but the margins are pretty thin and things can change quickly (see how Evermind, Sacul, and Tomislav blew their leads in one round). Also, after this round the double-submission perk disappears, so make sure to use it now if you want to. Themes for Round 7 will be selected by Evermind, Tomislav, Romdrums, and Sacul. Please try to choose something in the next 24 hours so we can get the submissions in before the weekend.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1182 on: August 01, 2019, 02:30:03 PM »

Was that rounds average score from your group lower than the screamo and chick-growls this round?

Edit  Yes and no:

5.375 (Non-English vocals)

So, whoever picked screamo... they owe the biggest apologies.

Thing is, he was able to take the lead with that theme, so I can't really complain about the choice.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Seneca v3 The Peoples Roulette, R6 Results
« Reply #1183 on: August 01, 2019, 02:30:24 PM »
I'm not really invested in this roulette anyways so I'm just gonna send crap instead  :P
I'm all but eliminated anyways and I really have no clue what kind of music you like apparently

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1184 on: August 01, 2019, 02:36:07 PM »
Initial thoughts: salty I got last in my group, but I almost expected it
On reading the rest: my song still scored equal to or better than most of the songs sent in this round  :lol I'll take it.

Laying out the total scores in order:

15.5, 16, 18, 18, 18.5, 19, 19.5, 19.5, 20, 20, 20, 20.5, 21, 21.5, 22, 22

So whichever 20 I am, I am still in the top 8. Cool. But I'm #3 in my group, meaning I have to finish in 1st or 2nd to avoid getting cut, right? Nekov... I'm coming for you. romdrums, stay behind me.  :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1185 on: August 01, 2019, 02:40:11 PM »
Well it won me the round, so I'm not that sorry. :P

And yay to another good round! The Blue Food album is great, some of it is proggier but it's all really funky and there are loads of great hooks!

Once the final themes are in I'll try to submit quickly, but I'm away on holiday so unless my choices are reasonably confident/obvious, I won't necessarily get a chance to listen to a few options right away. I'll let you know if so, but hopefully will be fine.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1186 on: August 01, 2019, 02:40:40 PM »
I'm not really invested in this roulette anyways so I'm just gonna send crap instead  :P
I'm all but eliminated anyways and I really have no clue what kind of music you like apparently

I have no clue either, but Xanthochroid, Mew, and La Dispute were all pretty cool.

Initial thoughts: salty I got last in my group, but I almost expected it
On reading the rest: my song still scored equal to or better than most of the songs sent in this round  :lol I'll take it.

Laying out the total scores in order:

15.5, 16, 18, 18, 18.5, 19, 19.5, 19.5, 20, 20, 20, 20.5, 21, 21.5, 22, 22

So whichever 20 I am, I am still in the top 8. Cool. But I'm #3 in my group, meaning I have to finish in 1st or 2nd to avoid getting cut, right? Nekov... I'm coming for you. romdrums, stay behind me.  :lol

Well, tied for 3rd in your group, actually. And yeah, unfortunately the way its shaking out it looks like whoever finishes 3rd (and even 4th) in your group will have been somewhat unfortunate.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1187 on: August 01, 2019, 02:49:22 PM »
Yeah, our group ended up being the strongest. This roulette is turning out to be super weird. I have been shooting in the dark throughout the whole roulette with very mixed results  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1188 on: August 01, 2019, 02:49:47 PM »
Give me the theme so I can send my last song

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1189 on: August 01, 2019, 02:49:57 PM »

And yeah, unfortunately the way its shaking out it looks like whoever finishes 3rd (and even 4th) in your group will have been somewhat unfortunate.

That's the way the cookie crumbles.  Themes and all.

Lay it on us, Tommy Boy.  I just need to make sure I don't pull a Cliff Claven!