Poll

Should everyone in Round 8 have to send the same type of submission?

Yes - the higher seeds will vote on their preference for EP, Greatest Hits, Album
No - each higher seed can choose for their respective matchup

Author Topic: Seneca v3 results  (Read 75371 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Seneca v3 The Peoples Roulette, R9 Impressed Shins
« Reply #1680 on: August 24, 2019, 03:06:26 PM »
so business as usual for me

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1681 on: August 24, 2019, 03:28:06 PM »
At this point, we're probably all just hoping for "less bad than my opponent".

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1682 on: August 24, 2019, 03:29:26 PM »

At this point, we're probably all just hoping for "less bad than my opponent".

Basically  :lol
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1683 on: August 24, 2019, 03:47:44 PM »
I think i may be holding the albums to a higher standard, as well.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1684 on: August 24, 2019, 03:55:04 PM »
I'm still going with, none of y'all actually like music  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1685 on: August 24, 2019, 04:14:08 PM »
I like to think that the scores in my last roulette (and resulting hit to my bank balance) would suggest otherwise.

I be am boner inducing.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1686 on: August 24, 2019, 04:23:43 PM »
I like to think that the scores in my last roulette (and resulting hit to my bank balance) would suggest otherwise.
You might be the exception  :tup
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1687 on: August 24, 2019, 09:49:56 PM »
Yeah. I hate music  ;D

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1688 on: August 24, 2019, 10:08:04 PM »
there is no single thing in this world that i enjoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1689 on: August 24, 2019, 11:30:40 PM »
there is no single thing in this world that i enjoy
Well, we all knew that.  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1690 on: August 25, 2019, 04:41:52 AM »
Results coming in 15 hours or so. Warning: the scores arent great.

Serves ya right for kicking me out.  :biggrin:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1691 on: August 25, 2019, 06:44:01 AM »
Round 9 Results

Sacul vs. Ariich

Sacul: Massive Attack – Mezzanine
So far, this feels like one of your worst submissions yet. Maybe I’m just not in the mood to be writing up first impressions right now, but I found several of these songs tiresome, alternating between boring and stressful. As much as I’ve heard about this group/artist, I expected something better than a meandering, moody mess.

Yeah, so I really don’t think this is one of your better submissions. It feels like a very well-constructed whole, I’m just not a fan of all the elements, and I wish some of the songs weren’t here at all. Angel is really illustrative of the album as a whole: it nails the mood (dark, loveless and yet unnervingly seductive) but also the album’s shortcomings (the frigid, almost clinical, electronic elements, the sometimes-dull repetitiveness, the sparseness of vocals). These shortcomings are entirely my own, I get that, I just can’t get over them. Unlike the vocal harmonies in Moon Safari, however, these at least feel highly deliberate, rather than a compulsory consequence of being a happy Swede. Other things I don’t like about this album: the hip-hop elements (see Risingson) and the more trance-sounding tracks (Inertia Creeps). As negative as all that sounds, I did enjoy some of these tracks a fair amount. Dissolved Girl sounds like a psychedelically infused Bjork, which is a pileup of weird but also oddly effective; Teardrop is lovely, and Exchange a fun instrumental track that somehow makes me feel nostalgic about the future. So yeah, overall not great, but good enough. Lucky for you, Ariich saved my least favorite submission for last. 5.5

Ariich: Moon Safari – Lover’s End
I think you may have accidentally stepped on a landmine. The longer the album goes on, the more exhausted I become—by the voice(s) but especially by the mood. There are contrasts buried in here, but it’s going to take a couple more careful listens to appreciate whether they are the contrasts I’m looking for. Right now, I fear they’re not.

Although I do enjoy a lot of music with vocal harmonies, I find them tiresome on this album. I think I might be able to explain what it is about them that doesn’t work for me if I could compare the album to the Von Hertzen Brothers track you send me a couple rounds ago. The harmonies never seemed to take center stage in Prospect for Escape. They added texture, depth, emotional complexity to the vocals. But they were a means to an ends, never the point of the song. Throughout this Moon Safari album, the harmonies feel much showier. There are even sections that pass almost entirely a Capella (see Southern Belle), which is not a style of music I’ve ever really liked. The cliched critique of prog music as “wanky” doesn’t, in the case of Moon Safari, apply to the instrumental music, but I can’t shake the feeling that it does apply to the vocals. I know it probably seems like I’m harping on the vocals a lot, but they really wear me out. :( Otherwise, the album is interesting but it never really won me over. The contrast between the brightness of its sound and the darkness of its lyrical content is interesting, I suppose, but the contrast feels more to me like a necessity than a stylistic choice—like Moon Safari is only capable of producing a bright sound. That’s probably not fair—maybe they do know how to put on a darker sound and do so excellently—I’m just trying to explain my hunch, which undermines what might have been this stylistic choice. 4

Favorite Song: The World’s Best Dreamers

Evermind vs Nekov

Evermind: Mark Knopfler – Kill to Get Crimson
It’s almost pointless to do a first impression for this album; so far, I feel it’s impossible to distinguish one track from the next without repeated listens and closer attention paid to the lyrics. There are a couple songs that I vaguely remember enjoying more than others, but I also remember wondering: is this the same song I just listened to? Have I been listening to the same song on repeat for an hour?

I know you’re going to resent me saying this, but a lot of these songs do feel the same to me. There are certainly musical differences, as you pointed out, and some of the instrumentation is interesting, but in terms of the overall mood and atmosphere, it’s not a very diverse listening experience for me. Combine that with the fact that the mood and atmosphere is generally subdued, and I find myself drifting in and out even when I’m listening attentively.  And ultimately, that is the biggest obstacle—the obstacle which is, sadly, ending your involvement in this roulette. Mark Knopfler is a good songwriter and I’ve long been a big fan of certain Dire Straits songs (Brothers in Arms and Lady Writer being the standout examples), but this more stripped-down offering isn’t quite doing it for me. Similar to the first song you sent this roulette, the David Gilmour track that I know you were sad to see score as low as it did, this album doesn’t reach to the height that I was hoping for, given the mastermind behind it. 5.5

Favorite Songs: The Scaffolder’s Wife, In the Sky, Punish the Monkey

Nekov: Bend Sinister – Animals
A little bit scattered, I think: there are a couple songs that I find myself wanting to skip, but also a couple songs that really suck me in. The musicianship is interesting but well-restrained. Sometimes a little irritatingly playful, like a party whose invitation I politely declined but was relocated into my living room anyway. I was surprised by the emotional depth of some of these songs, which have snuck up on me after a couple listens.

Your submission was definitely the surprise of the round for me. There are a couple songs on here that wouldn’t score very well as individual submissions (the four-song run from Thunder and Lightning to You Remind Me is okay, but kind of a let-down compared to the other six tracks), but even those have a place in the album as a whole, throwing a different kind of mood and energy into the mix. Speaking of mix, I appreciate the way this album very accessibly integrates some prog elements into what is otherwise a more conventional indie/alt rock sound, the best example of this being “Best of You.” I especially like the second half of that song, but the first half grew on me a lot as well. And in general, the slower-paced sections (like the second half of Best of You) work really well throughout the album. Through the Week is another good example. Even the most familiar bits, bits that don’t sound super original to me (Fancy Pants sounds to me like a mashup of The Shins and Oasis), are enjoyable. As I said in my first impression, I wasn’t originally convinced by the more playful parts of the album; I am now. Sign me up! 7.5

Favorite Songs: Through the Week, Best of You, Better Things to Do, It Will Never End

Sadly, that's it for Evermind and Ariich. Both of you have introduced me to some stellar songs and several albums that I'm really looking forward to listening to further. If not for the single-elimination structure of these final rounds, y'all would both be ahead of Nekov, but alas that's the way the rules were set.

Final Round:

Sacul vs Nekov

Greatest Hits. One artist. 30-60 minutes of music. Preferably from at least two different albums (unless you're reeeaaaalllly set on sending a band/artist with only one release). I think I'll accept submissions from different projects, but only if the central figure is a control freak and has their fingers deep into both projects. I trust your judgement, but let's try to keep this simple. (e.g., Steven Wilson solo and early PT would be allowed; Steven Wilson solo and Storm Corrosion would not be allowed, as Steven is not the undisputed protagonist of the second group).

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1692 on: August 25, 2019, 06:47:51 AM »
p.s.

Cyril: this Gabriel Kahane album (The Ambassador) is lovely. Just listening to Empire Liquor Mart again, right now.

LordCost: The Tea Club album you mentioned (If/When) is gonna take a lot more time to digest than I've given it—97% of my listening has obviously been focused on the final four albums above—but I'm intrigued by what I've heard.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Seneca v3 Most of the People Are Dead, R9 Results
« Reply #1693 on: August 25, 2019, 06:54:36 AM »
Yes! I thought you'd like that album since, as you said, it's scattered and has a lot of different elements thrown into it  :smiley:

No, to battle my fellow countryman. I think I know what band I will be sending. Will probably take until tomorrow for me to put the album together.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1694 on: August 25, 2019, 07:01:44 AM »
Yes! I thought you'd like that album since, as you said, it's scattered and has a lot of different elements thrown into it  :smiley:

No, to battle my fellow countryman. I think I know what band I will be sending. Will probably take until tomorrow for me to put the album together.

I wouldn't say I like it because it's scattered, but because all those pieces work well on their own  :tup

As for submissions... Like I mentioned it last week, I'm going to be leaving for Indonesia in a couple days, and I'll be gone for a couple weeks. I have no idea what the wifi status will be there, and even if it's good, I'm not going to be posting as often, so the final results will require some patience. Hopefully I can have Spotify playlists downloaded before I leave  :smiley:

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1695 on: August 25, 2019, 07:16:27 AM »
This is absolutely fair and I'll say that the fact I ended up in the semifinals was very surprising for me. Gilmour and Knopfler are both my favourite songwriters and I adore their solo work, and when that Gilmour song scored as it did, I thought I'll be out before the group stage. Throughout the roulette I tried to cater to your tastes (not counting Arch/Matheos and So Hideous and Amethystium, I guess, and even so I picked a ballad from Arch/Matheos to minimize the damage), and I honestly thought this album could be up your alley. Originally I was saving Mark Knopfler for the Greatest Hits round, but realized I wouldn't be happy with myself if I get eliminated before sending this artist.

Despite getting this far, I'm still not sure about your tastes. Arstidir - Shades is too flamboyant for you, while Jon Lord - Pictured Within is just fine, yet Gilmour and Knopfler are boring. This leaves me baffled.

That being said, this was one of the best roulettes I participated in, I loved the groups and the part where the participants picked the themes, good thinking on that, it was very entertaining. I wish the best luck to Lucas in this last round, I hope you can beat Diego.

By the way... are we still voting on the last round? I remember that was the premise, Nelson gives 7 points and we all pick our favourite submission between the two.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1696 on: August 25, 2019, 07:34:09 AM »
Yeah, I'm sorry my tastes have been hard to pin down. And I was also somewhat surprised that you got as far as you did. But man, you were flying high for a while—Leonard Cohen, Arch/Matheos, Iamthemorning, and Jon Lord were all excellent. I've also listened to that Amethystium album several times since you sent it. I'm really glad you were able to play along  :heart

As for the final round, good question. I'd kind of veered away from that original idea because I thought it might lead to the finalists catering to the least common denominator (Sarah McLachlan and her ilk), which probably wouldn't mesh well with my own tastes all that well.

I was thinking maybe they could choose one song from their Greatest Hits to be voted on, but that's an incomplete solution at best. Another option (one which I like better) would be to send a "bonus track" from a completely different artist, to be judged both by myself and the mob. Half of the score would come from the Greatest Hits and half from the bonus track. I'm open to other ideas as well.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1697 on: August 25, 2019, 07:54:31 AM »
I don't think Lucas will cater to anyone's tastes and neither would Diego, I think you're fine in that department. It's up to you though.

I do want to vote on something though for sure. :biggrin:

Also sent you a PM.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1698 on: August 25, 2019, 08:17:07 AM »
By the way I like how Sacul's writeup doesn't have the favourite songs mentioned at all. It's as if the whole album was just too shitty to mention those. :biggrin:

I'm rooting for you man, don't let me down.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1699 on: August 25, 2019, 08:27:44 AM »
By the way I like how Sacul's writeup doesn't have the favourite songs mentioned at all. It's as if the whole album was just too shitty to mention those. :biggrin:

Why do you hate me?  :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1700 on: August 25, 2019, 08:34:59 AM »
I don't.

But I kinda want Sacul to win now. :biggrin:

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1701 on: August 25, 2019, 08:46:55 AM »
I don't think Lucas will cater to anyone's tastes and neither would Diego, I think you're fine in that department. It's up to you though.

Then I'll let them decide.

Option 1) choose a song from your greatest hits to be judged by the undead mob. They will vote for their favorite song, and each vote will be worth one point, to be added on to my own rating of the compilation as a whole.
Option 2) same scoring method, but the song can come from a different artist.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1702 on: August 25, 2019, 08:50:30 AM »
Given how some of the un-dead mob seem to be against me I would actually prefer to skip that part  :lol
I'll let Sacul decide

Offline LordCost

« Reply #1703 on: August 25, 2019, 09:22:56 AM »
p.s.

Cyril: this Gabriel Kahane album (The Ambassador) is lovely. Just listening to Empire Liquor Mart again, right now.

LordCost: The Tea Club album you mentioned (If/When) is gonna take a lot more time to digest than I've given it—97% of my listening has obviously been focused on the final four albums above—but I'm intrigued by what I've heard.
I am not much into folk, but I really like the folky songs on If/When. Still have to digest the last song but it is promising. Riverman is my favorite, I didn't expect a song like that from them and it's a type of song 100% in line with my tastes.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1704 on: August 25, 2019, 09:34:18 AM »
Wow, and here I was mildly disappointed that the albums I got in my roulette's final round were all in the 6-7/10 range. :lol

Also Risingson is great, cmon
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1705 on: August 25, 2019, 09:46:11 AM »
i'm rooting for nekov  :corn

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1706 on: August 25, 2019, 11:06:40 AM »
Yeah, he's cool and all, but I really like that Parama guy.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1707 on: August 25, 2019, 11:24:00 AM »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1708 on: August 25, 2019, 11:43:07 AM »
:biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1709 on: August 25, 2019, 01:22:20 PM »
Well damn, I thought the album would appeal to you a lot more :lol. But that's a fair assessment (didn't know you'd dislike the hip hop elements), so I'll carefully craft my greatest hits now that I think I got a decent grasp of what you like (I hope).

Given how some of the un-dead mob seem to be against me I would actually prefer to skip that part  :lol
I'll let Sacul decide
I don't think the mob would like whatever I choose either, that's why I'll go with option a ;D.

Now, to battle my fellow countryman.
Top 10 anime final battles.

:metal

:sadpanda:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1710 on: August 25, 2019, 01:39:18 PM »
Damn, shame you didn't like it at all. :sadpanda: I hoped you might get some enjoyment out of it as I've scored well with both proggy stuff and upbeat stuff. Ah well, no matter.

Although I do think your categorisation of them as "happy Swedes" isn't quite right, I mean the whole album is about relationship difficulties, and the lead singer has struggled with alcoholism and briefly left the band in 2017 because of it, so :P

Anyway this was a really fun roulette, thanks for having me! Good luck to the finalists.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1711 on: August 25, 2019, 01:47:22 PM »
hoping for some real juicy scores for the finals, like 3.5 and 2.5

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1712 on: August 25, 2019, 02:58:45 PM »
Lover's End deserved a much better fate.

I'm also rooting for Diego.

The undead mob must be heard!!!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1713 on: August 25, 2019, 08:36:23 PM »
Damn, shame you didn't like it at all. :sadpanda: I hoped you might get some enjoyment out of it as I've scored well with both proggy stuff and upbeat stuff. Ah well, no matter.

Although I do think your categorisation of them as "happy Swedes" isn't quite right, I mean the whole album is about relationship difficulties, and the lead singer has struggled with alcoholism and briefly left the band in 2017 because of it, so :P

Anyway this was a really fun roulette, thanks for having me! Good luck to the finalists.

Yeah, that happy Swedes description didn't feel accurate when I typed it either, but it does match my experience. Call it a personal problem.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1714 on: August 26, 2019, 08:07:43 AM »
Greatest Hits sent. I'll let history judge my choice.

And as usual, we're all waiting on Sacul now  :lol