Poll

Should everyone in Round 8 have to send the same type of submission?

Yes - the higher seeds will vote on their preference for EP, Greatest Hits, Album
No - each higher seed can choose for their respective matchup

Author Topic: Seneca v3 results  (Read 75995 times)

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Seneca v3 The Peoples Roulette, R9 Hangman
« Reply #1645 on: August 21, 2019, 01:06:12 PM »
Well, after listening to that record I can say that it is very different from what I sent  :lol

Yeah, both matchups feature very different styles/genres, which is exciting for me but also makes comparisons more difficult.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1646 on: August 21, 2019, 01:13:19 PM »
Moon Safari - Lover's End

I don't know this Bend Sinister album, but I'll spin it tomorrow on my commute. Nekov, if you don't know my album, feel free to also check it out.

I'll do so.

That Moon Safari album is great. It never occurred to me to send it.

I've only heard one part of Lover's End (got it in my roulette) and I would never send it to Nelson based on that, but Rich made it to the semifinals so he is apparently good at this. We'll see. I bet on Sacul in this matchup, I think Nelson will like Massive Attack more.
I didn't know what Lucas would send but I figured it would probably be in a similar vein to most of his submissions and I wasn't wrong. And considering the moodier stuff I've sent this roulette has generally been my lowest scoring (except Insomnium, but that's rather different), I figured I can't out-Sacul Sacul. So I went with something that would be pretty different, that I really love, and that I felt fit the theme really well (proggy, prominent keys, big vocals).

Curious to know what Lucas's link to the theme was as it's not particularly obvious to me.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1647 on: August 21, 2019, 01:23:12 PM »
I'm rooting for Moon Safari.  They are dope
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1648 on: August 21, 2019, 01:24:01 PM »
Go Go Marky Mark, that album rules
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1649 on: August 21, 2019, 03:44:45 PM »
Did you at least, I don't know, like some songs? :biggrin:

Nothing really stood out to me, but then again, I was doing doing work stuff and not really paying attention. I don't think I was in the right mood either. I'll give it another go tomorrow.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1650 on: August 21, 2019, 03:48:43 PM »
When are first impressions so I can solve all of them immediately too? :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1651 on: August 21, 2019, 03:56:05 PM »
hot garbage

the worst submission of the roulette

i don't know why you would send this to me

good, but only if you have abysmally low standards

cyril sent this and i hate it

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1652 on: August 21, 2019, 11:36:53 PM »
They could all be mine.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1653 on: August 22, 2019, 08:26:15 AM »
 :corn

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1654 on: August 22, 2019, 09:56:38 AM »
You guys asked for it  :lol

Impressions:

A little bit scattered, I think: there are a couple songs that I find myself wanting to skip, but also a couple songs that really suck me in. The musicianship is interesting but well-restrained. Sometimes a little irritatingly playful, like a party whose invitation I politely declined but was relocated into my living room anyway. I was surprised by the emotional depth of some of these songs, which have snuck up on me after a couple listens.

I think you may have accidentally stepped on a landmine. The longer the album goes on, the more exhausted I become—by the voice(s) but especially by the mood. There are contrasts buried in here, but it’s going to take a couple more careful listens to appreciate whether they are the contrasts I’m looking for. Right now, I fear they’re not.

It’s almost pointless to do a first impression for this album; so far, I'm having a difficult time distinguishing one track from the next. Hopefully that will change with repeated listens and closer attention paid to the lyrics. There are a couple songs that I vaguely remember enjoying more than others, but I also remember wondering: is this the same song I just listened to? Have I been listening to the same song on repeat for an hour?

So far, this feels like one of your worst submissions yet. Maybe I’m just not in the mood to be writing up first impressions right now, but I found a couple of these songs so boring as to induce anxiety. As much as I’ve heard about this group/artist, I expected something better than a meandering, moody mess.

Your best offering yet. Oh how I wish you weren't dead. Oh, oh, oh.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Seneca v3 The Peoples Roulette, R9 Impressed Shins
« Reply #1655 on: August 22, 2019, 10:01:47 AM »
I wasn't actually that far off with my joke impressions apparently  :rollin

Top to bottom,
Moon Safari
Mark Knopfler
Massive Attack
Bend Sinister
Mystery Cyril album

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1656 on: August 22, 2019, 10:44:28 AM »
A little bit scattered, I think: there are a couple songs that I find myself wanting to skip, but also a couple songs that really suck me in. The musicianship is interesting but well-restrained. Sometimes a little irritatingly playful, like a party whose invitation I politely declined but was relocated into my living room anyway. I was surprised by the emotional depth of some of these songs, which have snuck up on me after a couple listens.
"Sometimes a little irritatingly playful"... "surprised by the emotional depth"... This does seem most likely to be Moon Safari. :lol

I'm aware it won't work for everyone, but for me I think the emotional depth is precisely what makes the playfulness work. Without it, I think I'd find it too soppy, but I love the balance they manage to get.

EDIT: Cyril, what did you send him?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1657 on: August 22, 2019, 10:45:18 AM »
I'd wager Moon Safari is the 2nd one, considering how much vocal harmony they use, and Nellie's reference to "voice(s)"
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1658 on: August 22, 2019, 10:51:31 AM »
I'd wager Moon Safari is the 2nd one, considering how much vocal harmony they use, and Nellie's reference to "voice(s)"
I did wonder that for exactly that reason too, but I don't see how any of the others could be "irritatingly playful". I suspect his use of "voice(s)" and "group/artist" (in the 4th impression) is exactly to cause this uncertainty.

EDIT: Although I suppose the Bend Sinister could be the playful one too. Hmm. Damn you Nelson!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1659 on: August 22, 2019, 11:00:56 AM »
I'd reveal what I sent but Seneca didn't put it in hangman so I don't feel like revealing it either :neverusethis:

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1660 on: August 22, 2019, 11:12:53 AM »
Bend Sinister is pretty damn playful, yeah. I feel like the 2nd or the 4th one is indeed Mark Knopfler. The other one is probably Massive Attack. Hey Sacul, want to play a match for the third place after this?

I'm still glad I sent it though, I was listening to this Bend Sinister album and while there were some nice songs (I liked the opener, especially the second part, and the fourth song), I very much prefer my album to it. Although I'll admit Animals is way closer to the theme than MK.

Oh well, it was a good run.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1661 on: August 22, 2019, 11:13:54 AM »
I think the order is

Bend Sinister
Moon Safari
Mark Knopfler
Massive Attack
Cyrilcore

Either way, none of those 1st impressions is really encouraging  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1662 on: August 22, 2019, 11:16:05 AM »
I honestly just don't know enough about bend sinister to be able to place that one so I'm probably wrong yeah

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1663 on: August 22, 2019, 11:27:22 AM »
It would be better if the third is Mark Knopfler (instead of the second and the fourth, I guess), but I only have to hope it grows on Nelson because otherwise I don't see how it can beat the first one.

I'm... not sure how can you say "I'm listening to the same song for an hour" while listening to Kill to Get Crimson if you're paying attention. The style is the same, but no back-to-back songs have the same tempo and groove to my ears. At this point, I'm reasonably sure I'm eliminated, though.

Which then brings me to the point I wanted to make: I'd very much like to thank Puppies for our collaborative EP which won the last round. He accepted my offer to participate in the making of that EP and we conversed back and forth via PMs to do our best. He's easily responsible for at least half of it (A Perfect Circle, Falloch, Soulsavers and Scott Walker were his contributions) and he provided the name for it as well. If someone ever does a teamplay roulette where we have to work in pairs, man, I'd like to be in a team with you. That was awesome. :)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1664 on: August 22, 2019, 11:51:09 AM »
I'd call that cheating, but you collaborated with someone who was already fired for poor performance.  :lol  Seems more like dumb luck to get such a good score as opposed to cheating.   :P :D

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1665 on: August 22, 2019, 11:58:03 AM »
Nah, I knew Puppies was good at this. It felt fair to offer that because we were both screwed by LordCost with the screaming theme. :P

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1666 on: August 22, 2019, 12:03:50 PM »
Its always fun seeing y'all try to match the first impressions to your submissions  :D

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1667 on: August 22, 2019, 12:16:22 PM »
Give us some scores and let us match those to the submissions  :neverusethis:

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1668 on: August 22, 2019, 12:16:57 PM »
Its always fun seeing y'all try to match the first impressions to your submissions  :D

:getoffmylawn:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1669 on: August 22, 2019, 12:18:55 PM »
Grab the pitchforks, lads.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1670 on: August 22, 2019, 12:27:55 PM »
It would be better if the third is Mark Knopfler (instead of the second and the fourth, I guess), but I only have to hope it grows on Nelson because otherwise I don't see how it can beat the first one.

I do see how 2 and 4 could be the Mark Knopfler album. I hate this guessing game  :lol

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1671 on: August 22, 2019, 03:07:47 PM »

1 2 3 4

Offline LordCost

« Reply #1672 on: August 22, 2019, 03:17:20 PM »
Nah, I knew Puppies was good at this. It felt fair to offer that because we were both screwed by LordCost with the screaming theme. :P
The plan of that theme worked above my expectations

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1673 on: August 22, 2019, 07:25:52 PM »

I'm... not sure how can you say "I'm listening to the same song for an hour" while listening to Kill to Get Crimson if you're paying attention. The style is the same, but no back-to-back songs have the same tempo and groove to my ears. At this point, I'm reasonably sure I'm eliminated, though.

Which then brings me to the point I wanted to make: I'd very much like to thank Puppies for our collaborative EP which won the last round. He accepted my offer to participate in the making of that EP and we conversed back and forth via PMs to do our best. He's easily responsible for at least half of it (A Perfect Circle, Falloch, Soulsavers and Scott Walker were his contributions) and he provided the name for it as well. If someone ever does a teamplay roulette where we have to work in pairs, man, I'd like to be in a team with you. That was awesome. :)
I'm down for any and all future collaborative roulette rounds with you!  :metal

I'd call that cheating, but you collaborated with someone who was already fired for poor performance.  :lol  Seems more like dumb luck to get such a good score as opposed to cheating.   :P :D
:biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1674 on: August 22, 2019, 08:56:43 PM »

I think you may have accidentally stepped on a landmine. The longer the album goes on, the more exhausted I become—by the voice(s) but especially by the mood. There are contrasts buried in here, but it’s going to take a couple more careful listens to appreciate whether they are the contrasts I’m looking for. Right now, I fear they’re not.

It’s almost pointless to do a first impression for this album; so far, I'm having a difficult time distinguishing one track from the next. Hopefully that will change with repeated listens and closer attention paid to the lyrics. There are a couple songs that I vaguely remember enjoying more than others, but I also remember wondering: is this the same song I just listened to? Have I been listening to the same song on repeat for an hour?

So far, this feels like one of your worst submissions yet. Maybe I’m just not in the mood to be writing up first impressions right now, but I found a couple of these songs so boring as to induce anxiety. As much as I’ve heard about this group/artist, I expected something better than a meandering, moody mess.

Seems any could be mine, and they don't look positive :lol. Don't worry, take you time with Mezzanine, it took me some time to appreciate it fully and now I love it to death. I love listening to it out loud late at night.

Curious to know what Lucas's link to the theme was as it's not particularly obvious to me.
Mezzanine and Child in Time feel like very clear reflections of a particular period of time, the former about the 90s in the UK and the very tense mood within the band, the latter about the Vietnam War. Both are very iconic pieces in their respective genres as well.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1675 on: August 23, 2019, 06:01:55 AM »
Mezzanine and Child in Time feel like very clear reflections of a particular period of time, the former about the 90s in the UK and the very tense mood within the band, the latter about the Vietnam War.
Very nice, I like it. :tup

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1676 on: August 23, 2019, 10:12:01 AM »

1 2 3 4

That 3 doesn't look half bad...

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1677 on: August 24, 2019, 01:56:24 PM »
 :corn

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1678 on: August 24, 2019, 01:58:00 PM »
:cob

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1679 on: August 24, 2019, 03:02:59 PM »
Results coming in 15 hours or so. Warning: the scores arent great.