Poll

Should everyone in Round 8 have to send the same type of submission?

Yes - the higher seeds will vote on their preference for EP, Greatest Hits, Album
No - each higher seed can choose for their respective matchup

Author Topic: Seneca v3 results  (Read 75998 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Seneca v3 The Peoples Roulette, R8 Hangman/Impressions
« Reply #1575 on: August 17, 2019, 01:53:37 PM »
Yeah but i dont much like Haken or Devin Townsend either  :-\
That's fine, obviously (was unaware and had I known, I probably wouldn't have included the Ihlo song, but no matter), I was purely commenting on whether they are ripoffs/derivative/whatever.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #1576 on: August 17, 2019, 03:08:16 PM »
Wait, how did I end up on Sarah McLachlan forums?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1577 on: August 17, 2019, 03:09:19 PM »
Ah yes, the SMF. If you look at the very bottom of every page on the forum, it does indeed say SMF.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #1578 on: August 17, 2019, 03:10:30 PM »
Ah yes, the SMF. If you look at the very bottom of every page on the forum, it does indeed say SMF.

Oh god.  :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1579 on: August 17, 2019, 03:10:53 PM »
:rollin
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1580 on: August 17, 2019, 04:32:13 PM »
Evermind

Favorite song: Bjorn Riis - The Waves
Least favorite song: Falloch - Horizons

This is probably the smoothest, most consistent, and most wonderfully dark EP of them all. I can tell you put a lot of time into this. My favorite song is the closer, though there are moments I enjoy in some of the other songs too.

Well huh, this might fit then. Considering that this Falloch song is just an interlude (it's basically an intro to Belong and also the track to imagine Kathrin sitting in the park and contemplating until this song flows into Belong), I guess I might be just fine in this round. Or well, we'll see.

Edit: anyway, here's the EP that was sent to Nelson in case anyone gives a shit:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/35yV0g2ynJCEmhpuDD2UeK
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 04:40:39 PM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #1581 on: August 17, 2019, 05:20:14 PM »
At least my EP's least favourite song is not Reanimate.. Still not positive about my EP, I would have preferred another band in the favourite category, which had more than one song.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1582 on: August 17, 2019, 05:22:29 PM »
Evermind

Favorite song: Bjorn Riis - The Waves
Least favorite song: Falloch - Horizons

This is probably the smoothest, most consistent, and most wonderfully dark EP of them all. I can tell you put a lot of time into this. My favorite song is the closer, though there are moments I enjoy in some of the other songs too.

Well huh, this might fit then. Considering that this Falloch song is just an interlude (it's basically an intro to Belong and also the track to imagine Kathrin sitting in the park and contemplating until this song flows into Belong), I guess I might be just fine in this round. Or well, we'll see.

Edit: anyway, here's the EP that was sent to Nelson in case anyone gives a shit:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/35yV0g2ynJCEmhpuDD2UeK
Let's just say, I'm extremely interested in how well this EP is going to do.  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1583 on: August 19, 2019, 02:03:08 AM »
Oh yeah, here's my EP too in case anyone cares.

Expanding on the Kevin Gilbert song (wonderful song, by the way), my EP is about someone struggling to come to terms with the loss of a loved one. It generally gets darker and heavier in tone as the characters finds it harder and harder.

Danny Cavanagh's music is unsurprisingly similar to Anathema but has its own unique flavour (particularly in the long instrumental). Petter Carlsen's stuff is also sometimes reminiscent of Anathema - very emotional and cathartic. Ihlo are more prog metal with electronic/synthwave infusions, but the song here is a slower and again emotional one. And I've included a different Insomnium song this time (incidentally the one I considered last time) as it was the perfect closer for me, both lyrically and musically.

Loss of a Loved One
Link to Spotify playlist

1. Daniel Cavanagh - The Exorcist
In mourning, but grateful for the time spent with the loved one ("Because you saved me from myself")

2. Petter Carlsen - Spirits in Need
Determined to move on, despite missing the departed ("There are spirits in need, everything's been on hold, not a day left to waste")

3. Petter Carlsen - Cornerstone
Struggles to even make the first step in building something new (instrumental, interpretation of the title)

4. Ihlo - Hollow
Cold and hollow from the absence of the loved one, unable to move on ("Take that moment, reach back to that day ... Don't go there, don't leave me behind")

5. Daniel Cavanagh - The Silent Flight of the Raven Winged Hours
Unable to sleep, whiling away the night hours wallowing in grief (no lyrics, again an interpretation)

6. Insomnium - Shadows of the Dying Sun
Comes to the conclusion that the cycle of life and death makes us meaningless ("We're nothing more than shadows, flares blazing in a blink of an eye")

I be am boner inducing.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1584 on: August 19, 2019, 07:01:38 AM »
Sorry it has taken me so long this round. Its just been so much to listen to and life beyond DTF has been a bit hectic. Speaking of which, Im going to be on holiday starting a week from tomorrow. Hopefully that wont disrupt things too much, but i dont know what the status of my wifi will be in Indonesia.

Round 8 results coming within the next 12 hours.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1585 on: August 19, 2019, 07:05:54 AM »
:corn

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1586 on: August 19, 2019, 08:35:38 AM »
Blood and Brainwaves

A tale of the inner struggles of a man who has lost a dear friend, in 7 acts

1. The Receiving End of Sirens - This Armistice

Struggling with the aftermath of his friend's death and funeral, the strong emotions of a man's heart wage war on the rational synapses of his brain. His brain tells him he should be logical and move on, live his life, yet his heart aches at his loss and is unable to move past it. The two sides conflict and cause him to be unable to function properly, sending him into a fit of depression.

2. Chiodos - Why the Munsters Matter

As the man struggles through his grief, his irrational heart begins overpowering his rational brain the longer he's suffering. This leads him to feeling not only isolated from the world around him, but as if everyone else is looking down on him. His feelings have overtaken any logical thought or action, and he lashes out back at the crowd he perceives as mocking him, shutting himself off further.

3. OWEL - Float

The man has fully shut himself off from others now, and without any friends to help him through his grief, his brain ends up projecting the friend he had lost, revealed here to be his lover, into his dreams, the only place where he can still see her. This satiates his aching heart to some extent but only ends up isolating him further as the only true friend he sees himself having isn't even real.

4. Kaddisfly - Via Rail

On a train ride one winter day, the grieving man overhears a tale about a bird and her nests, and his heart is inspired by its message of finding beauty in loss and the resilence of the most mundane things. This lifts his spirits and inspires him to try and turn his life around, not wanting to forget the woman he's lost, but letting her loss only make him stronger, being strong for her as he feels she would have wanted.

5. Even the Trees - Tonight We Don't Think, We Do

Having had this revelation, the man vows to leave his grief of the past behind, seeing it as burying his past self along with his lover and being reborn as a new person. As the ache of his heart subsides, his brain is able to assert that it was right all along, that moving forward is the only way to truly live, and the two finally reach the agreement they failed to reach initially.

6. The Receiving End of Sirens - Untitled
Note: This is a bonus track at the end of "Epilogue".

The same chorus from before echoes, except this time, instead of the man's heart and mind fighting for dominance, they're working together in perfect harmony.

7. Cursive - Staying Alive

The man asserts that he is stronger than death, and he will fight it kicking and screaming as he lives his life from now on. He knows the worst is over, and even if he should suffer again, he is strong enough now to move past it.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1587 on: August 19, 2019, 11:50:44 AM »
Round 8 Results

Sacul vs. Tomislav

Sacul: Hearts and Bits
Excellent stuff, if a bit of a blur right now. There are songs on here that made me want to dance, songs that made me want to screw the nearest source of life, and songs that made me want to sit pensively and watch the rain splash against my window.

Blue Sky Black Death - Sleeping Children Are Still Flying
DARKSIDE - Sitra
DARKSIDE - Heart
DARKSIDE - Paper Trails
Telefon Tel Aviv - Your Mouth
The Black Queen - The End Where We Start
Low - Dancing qnd Blood
Low – Fly

So yeah, the opener was my least favorite thing on this EP. But let’s be clear—that says more about the highs of the other tracks than it does about the quality of Blue Sky Black Death. Despite being a touch long, and my not really getting the purpose of the sampled spoken bits later in the song, this is a good opener that combines the electronic elements really well with traditional instrumentation (I’m looking at you, guitar licks). Things improve considerable from there, up to the magnificent DARKSIDE. I see this is Jaar again, so I shouldn’t be too surprised by its excellence. I appreciate that it takes a different, more accessible approach than what I heard on Killing Time. Paper Trails in particular is captivating. None of the last four tracks work quite as well for me, but they’re still really good. From the cyber-dreamy Telefon Tel Aviv to the libidinal Black Queen to the atmospheric Low, you consistently appeal to my tastes, never lose sight of the overall mood, and yet keep things interesting through the end. 8

Tomislav: Ballads For a Friend
After the first two songs on here I had really high hopes, but that was pretty much wiped out by the third song. You’re playing to the same winning formula that got you here in the first place, which I can’t fault you for, I’m just not as taken with some of these songs as your earlier offerings.

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Into My Arms
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Are You the One That I've Been Waiting For?
Tom Waits - Little Trip to Heaven (On the Wings of Your Love),
Tom Waits - San Diego Serenade
Micah P. Hinson - Patience
Jake Bugg - Broken
Tom Waits - Martha
Micah P. Hinson - Close Your Eyes

So you’ve definitely turned me on to Nick Cave. In fact, I just printed off sheet music to start learning “Into My Arms” on the piano. I just think his baritone vocals shine especially well when combined with sweet (even sappy) songs like these two. Unfortunately, none of the other songs on this EP reach the standard set by the first two. Micah P. Hinson ain’t really my thing, especially on “Patience.” Whereas Nick Cave is smooth, controlled and deliberate in his style, Hison feels much more unhinged, wielding his scratchy voice in a way that I’m not at all fond of. And although certainly not irritating in the same way, Jake Bugg did feel a bit generic—in that same school as Ed Sheeran and other folk-tinged pop artists who write inoffensive coffee house music that is best put on in the background but not listened to too closely. That may be a little harsh, cause it’s really not that bad, but again, not on the level that I was hoping for. Lastly, Tom Waits was the big surprise for me, as he was initially my least favorite part of the EP but gradually grew to become my second favorite. The jazzier “Little Trip to Heaven” initially missed the mark for me, but now it’s one of my favorites, so that’s pretty cool. In another match-up you would have fared better; unfortunately, Sacul edged you out by virtue of consistency. Which is a damn shame, given that you were one of the most consistent participants in this roulette, up to now. I’m gonna miss ya.  :'( 7

Ariich vs LordCost

Ariich: Loss of a Loved One
I really appreciate that you didn’t stick to only one genre and that the music intensifies from track to track. There are, however, a couple tracks that haven’t immediately clicked for me. We’ll see how that changes with future listens, but right now I’m slightly underwhelmed by this basket of low hanging fruit.

Daniel Cavanagh - The Exorcist
Petter Carlsen - Spirits in Need
Petter Carlsen - Cornerstone
Ihlo - Hollow
Daniel Cavanagh - The Silent Flight of the Raven Winged Hours
Insomnium - Shadows of the Dying Sun

I think this EP fits into the category of “I should enjoy this one more than I do.” Danny’s songs should be instant winners, seeing as how Anathema is one of my favorite bands, but his solo works have never gripped me all that much. I do think his vocal contributions in Anathema are an underrated asset for the band, but here he feels a bit samey. Don’t get me wrong—The Exorcist is a solid song, and The Silent Flight… is also decent (the latter feels a bit like a b side that might have been stuck on Hindsight, which is both a strength and a weakness in my book). I wasn’t entirely fair on Haken, Devin Townsend and TesseracT earlier—I think they’re all solid (some great songs mixed in), but Ihlo never unlocked me. It is by far my least favorite track here. Still, as negative as all of that sounds, your EP is a winner, and that’s mostly down to Petter Carlsen and Insomnium: those three tracks are great. I was somewhat familiar with Sirens when it came out, but not Clocks Don’t Count; I’m going to have to rectify that oversight, now. And yeah, Insomnium is wonderfully gloomy, heavy closer but also melodic and breathable. Mixed bag, but good enough to get you into the semifinals. 6.5

LordCost: Modern Prog in Pastel Colors
Despite being one of the more intricate EPs musically, I’m having a hard time picking out the details worth remembering. The reason I haven’t listened to any of these bands before is because I’m a bit disenchanted with this kind of music. It (mostly) falls flat and feels sterile.

Artificial Language – The Back of My Mind
Ihlo – Reanimate
VOLA – Indigo
Ihlo – Hollow
Artificial Language – Now We Sleep

It’s unfortunate that things are ending like this, as you’ve sent me a lot of good songs throughout the competition, but this one came up short. The Artificial Language tracks are both decent and make for good bookends. Speaking of which, I appreciate the symmetrical structure of the EP. It’s just a shame that my least favorite artist here, Ihlo, occupies so much time. VOLA is my favorite, as you already know, but even that one didn’t grab me the way Petter Carlsen and Insomnium did on Ariich’s EP. The problem with these songs, to my ears, is that they all sound very similar. The heavily polished production, the djenty influence, the pastel-colored vocals—all of these elements which are really typical in modern prog bands. Very similar to The Contortionist, Tesseract, Periphery, etc., none of which have ever fully clicked for me. Good music, impressive musicianship, but ultimately artificial, hollow, and safe. 5.5

Evermind vs Stadler

Evermind: Standing On An Avalanche

A Perfect Circle – The Noose
Lee Abraham – Harbour Lights
Falloch – Horizons
A.A. Williams – Belong
Scott Walker – On Your Own Again
Bjørn Riis – The Waves

I really enjoyed the story you wrote up to accompany this EP, but even without that, the songs speak for themselves really well. Despite not having any heavier songs, I would say that this is the heaviest EP of them all, emotionally and tonally, from beginning to end. The opener is about what I expected from JMK—an intense piece of music but also carefully restrained. It’s not on the level of my favorite Tool songs, but why should it be? Things only get better with Lee Abraham, which patiently builds to a great guitar solo. The next three tracks are a bit more subdued, but still engaging and really great at establishing the right kind of atmosphere to match your story. Finally, The Waves is a crushing but apt closer for this EP. I’m not going to labor over the intricacies of each song, because this is a classic case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts, and the whole is an absolute, clear-as-day winner. Every one of these artists is going to get another look after I'm done with this roulette. 8

Stadler: Songs About John Lennon
Despite the obvious link between all of these songs, I’m finding this EP a bit of a mixed bag, ranging from “not my thing” to “okay, I can at least see what you’re trying to do.”

John Lennon's Guitar - Barclay James Harvest   
3 Warning Shots - Rick
God, Part II – U2
I'm Outta Time - Oasis   
John Lennon - The Outfield   
Early 1970 - Ringo Starr   
All Those Years Ago - George Harrison   
Too Late For Goodbyes - Julian Lennon   
Here Today - Paul McCartney 
Empty Garden - Elton John   
The Man Who Never Died - Elton John

I really like the way you approached the theme, and it feels fitting given that one of my favorite songs from you this roulette was a John Lennon tune. Despite that, I found the overall quality a bit mixed. On the one hand, I quite liked the McCartney, Elton John (both songs), The Outfield, and Oasis. I’m Outta Time has a really nice rainy-day-on-the-street, nostalgic atmosphere to it that works well for me. Unfortunately, these were largely canceled out by some of the other songs, especially Rick Springfield, which I found generic and somewhat irritating, U2 (I enjoy several of U2’s biggest hits, but this is not on that level), and Julian Lennon. Far be it from me to criticize Julian Lennon’s tribute to his dad, I just didn’t enjoy the bouncy, light-hearted style of this song. Sadly then, this is the end. I really appreciate that you agreed to play along for these 8 rounds, as you've introduced me to several songs that I never would've have checked out on my own. 5

jingle.boy vs Nekov

Jingle.boy: Roulette – Other
This is a solid batch of songs and pretty much what I would have expected from you. At least, it is until the final track. Maybe I need to study this more to figure out how things are meant to progress, but right now I fear I might be missing something. It’s almost as if you thought, “okay, great, I’ve been playing it safe—now for a curveball!”

Echoes - Rude Awakening
Primal Fear - Born With A Broken Heart
Mystery - Looking for Something Else
Absolute Priority - Dead Man Walkin’
Sarah McLachlan – Angel

Although you incorrectly guessed the first impression—the one about the third track being a big stumbling block—it actually still applies really well because my least favorite track on your EP ended up being the Mystery. And yeah, that pretty much killed your chances right off the bat, seeing as how it takes up ~17 minutes of the total 39. To be more positive, the Echoes and Primal Fear tracks are really solid, and I’m definitely going to check out both albums when this roulette is done. The Primal Fear especially feels like a quintessential jingle.boy submission: not quite on the level of Lords of Black but definitely one of your better offerings this roulette. Back to Mystery, my main complaint is that there’s something majorly incongruous about the track length and the overall experience. There’s nothing about the track that feels really epic to me. It takes a long time to get going (the opening riff that’s repeated a hundred times could easily be a lullaby, in another context), and even then, the payoff is underwhelming. Not including Evermind’s accompanying story, your take on the theme is my favorite of the round, and I think the 5 stages of grief would’ve been really badass. Unfortunately, though, this is the end of the road for you. 5.5

Nekov: Seneca’s EP
Your submissions throughout this roulette have felt a bit like they’ve been chosen by a blind monkey throwing darts at a board. Lots of different things, with a pretty wide range of scores. So I’m somewhat thankful that you narrowed the focus with this submission, which, when taken as a single unit, is surely your most consistent offering yet. The only question is just how highly I rate it. Is it consistently good, or just decent background noise?

Manchester Orchestra - The Maze
Owl John - Songs About Roses
Manchester Orchestra - The Alien
Owl John - Ten Tons of Silence
Frightened Rabbit - Nitrous Gas
Wintersleep - Search Party
Frightened Rabbit - Blood Under the Bridge
Wintersleep - Miasmal Smoke & The Yellow Bellied Freaks

Let’s get the bad out of the way: Owl John. Songs About Roses irritated me both musically and lyrically. To be plain, I don't like the repetitious call to abandon “songs about roses.” Sure, it’s probably true that we don’t need any more songs about roses; but by extension, surely we don’t need songs about how we don’t need songs about roses either, right? Rather than write a negative song about not needing another kind of song, why not just write something original yourself? This felt like a self-congratulatory stab at wittiness, and it never hit the mark for me. Ten Tons of Silence is a little better, but still my second-least-favorite song on the EP. Now, all that being said, the rest of the tracks are on a high enough level to get you into the semi-finals. Both Frightened Rabbit songs are right up my alley, Wintersleep’s Search Party has some lovely lines that stuck out to me and kept me wanting to come back (“I used to dream about saving the world, now I just dream about the holiday”), and The Alien is fantastic (a level above The Maze, I think). With a better EP from Chad you might have been in trouble, but luckily for you his EP didn’t wow me. 7

Parama vs The Ghost of Parama

The EP peaks somewhere in the middle, but it’s not a very high peak. Another issue is that I’m not enjoying the heavier parts of these songs very much. There’s a lot of blunt force packed in here—it’s kind of exhausting and angsty and over the top.

Thanks for sending—I enjoyed listening to this a couple times—but it's more of the same and I'm not sure why our tastes haven't lined up as well throughout the roulette.

---

So there you have it! The top seeds won 3/4 match-ups. Group B has been decimated and both Group C participants remain. Which leaves us with:

Sacul Vs Ariich

and

Evermind vs Nekov

The Sacul-Ariich matchup should be really good—both of you have been bossing it from the beginning. And can the unpredictable Nekov take out Evermind?

Round 9 Submission Guidelines

The theme is Deep Purple's "Child in Time," which was my favorite song from my second roulette (courtesy of Elite)

As with Round 8, you can interpret this "theme" as loosely as you want—there's no penalty for seizing a tangent. Maybe you go for classic rock, maybe something with an epic sound, maybe something that showcases phenomenal vocal or guitar performances etc., etc.

As per the previously voted-upon options, submissions this round should be full albums by a single artist (Final round submissions, should you reach the final round, will be "Greatest Hits" by a single artist). It may be a good idea to run albums by me, in case I've missed something on the banned list (I'm sorry for not doing a good job of updating the "banned during roulette" list—I'll try to get that done shortly.)

Questions?

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Seneca v3 The Peoples Roulette, R8 Results
« Reply #1588 on: August 19, 2019, 12:01:05 PM »

Falloch – Horizons
A.A. Williams – Belong
Bjørn Riis – The Waves

I really enjoyed the story you wrote up to accompany this EP, but even without that, the songs speak for themselves really well. Despite not having any heavier songs, I would say that this is the heaviest EP of them all, emotionally and tonally, from beginning to end. The opener is about what I expected from JMK—an intense piece of music but also carefully restrained. It’s not on the level of my favorite Tool songs, but why should it be? Things only get better with Lee Abraham, which patiently builds to a great guitar solo. The next three tracks are a bit more subdued, but still engaging and really great at establishing the right kind of atmosphere to match your story. Finally, The Waves is a crushing but apt closer for this EP. I’m not going to labor over the intricacies of each song, because this is a classic case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts, and the whole is an absolute, clear-as-day winner. Every one of these artists is going to get another look after I'm done with this roulette. 8

Did you listen to the Soulsavers song or was it also unavailable for you as it was for Chad? It was between A.A. Williams and Scott Walker. :)

Anyway, I'm happy as hell with this result!

Edit: also fuck, I'm against Diego. Time to take revenge for Rich's first roulette. Give me a day to think on this.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1589 on: August 19, 2019, 12:18:39 PM »
Dayum... Yeah, i can see how Looking for Something Else might not be the best start in to Mystery, and thus not ideally suited to being included in an EP.  D'oh!

Thanks for having me.  I was stumbling around trying to figure out what to do this round had I moved on.  No more worries now!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1590 on: August 19, 2019, 12:21:29 PM »
I was stumbling around trying to figure out what to do this round had I moved on.  No more worries now!

That's easy... get your ass kicked. :biggrin:

Really hoped you'd advance by the way. I had way more confidence against you than I have against Diego.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1591 on: August 19, 2019, 12:27:23 PM »
Well, evidently it was a mixed bag but I'm glad you enjoyed the EP overall. Owl John is the solo album by Frightened Rabbit's singer so I thought it would be fitting but well, that was a miss. I had an album in mind for the next round but I'm not sure it would fit the theme. I'll take some time, rpbably tomorrow to figure that one out.

To Jingle:

Edit: also fuck, I'm against Diego. Time to take revenge for Rich's first roulette. Give me a day to think on this.

Ok, things just got serious  :lol
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Seneca v3 The Peoples Roulette, R8 Submissions
« Reply #1592 on: August 19, 2019, 12:29:44 PM »
Really hoped you'd advance by the way. I had way more confidence against you than I have against Diego.

I actually need to look up who sent No-Man before and you're my mortal enemy now because I had Truenorth in my first draft for the EP and it was banned, let's see  :corn

Edit: alright then, I looked it up and I'm rooting for you Chad. :biggrin:

You're only rooting for him because you know he is an easier matchup than I am in case you get through this round. Don't try to play nice to him

Called it
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1593 on: August 19, 2019, 12:31:44 PM »

To Jingle:

It's more like me to you:

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1594 on: August 19, 2019, 12:35:28 PM »

Falloch – Horizons
A.A. Williams – Belong
Bjørn Riis – The Waves

Did you listen to the Soulsavers song or was it also unavailable for you as it was for Chad? It was between A.A. Williams and Scott Walker. :)

Well shit! I completely missed that on account of it not being available on Spotify. It would have had to have been like a 1/10 kind of song to affect the outcome of your matchup, so thats no issue, but im kind of bummed i missed it. Gonna check it out on youtube i guess.

And Nekov, i had no idea about the Owl John-Frightened Rabbit connection.  :lol Strange how sometimes the solo work of an artist doesnt quite do it for us (Danny and Anathema this round, too).

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1595 on: August 19, 2019, 12:40:35 PM »

Falloch – Horizons
A.A. Williams – Belong
Bjørn Riis – The Waves

Well shit! I completely missed that on account of it not being available on Spotify. It would have had to have been like a 1/10 kind of song to affect the outcome of your matchup, so thats no issue, but im kind of bummed i missed it. Gonna check it out on youtube i guess.

It's a more uplifting song than Belong to make the transition into On Your Own Again (it's also like 8 minutes long). The "a year and a half ago" paragraphs in the story are for this song, where the drunk protagonist is talking to his dead wife and consoling himself. "There's been some misunderstanding and I'd like to make it right" / "We all need a fix at a time like this / But doesn't it feel good to stay alive / Now I see that in my visions that my eyes are seeing twice / Once for every expectation and once for what I realize". Someone's going to be disappointed you missed this song. :)

Well, I'll take this eight regardless.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1596 on: August 19, 2019, 01:01:48 PM »
Last place again  :tup

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1597 on: August 19, 2019, 01:05:26 PM »

Falloch – Horizons
A.A. Williams – Belong
Bjørn Riis – The Waves

It's a more uplifting song than Belong to make the transition into On Your Own Again (it's also like 8 minutes long). The "a year and a half ago" paragraphs in the story are for this song, where the drunk protagonist is talking to his dead wife and consoling himself. "There's been some misunderstanding and I'd like to make it right" / "We all need a fix at a time like this / But doesn't it feel good to stay alive / Now I see that in my visions that my eyes are seeing twice / Once for every expectation and once for what I realize". Someone's going to be disappointed you missed this song. :)

Well, I'll take this eight regardless.

Wow, this song is moving. Obviously it could grow old, but based on first impression alone, I think you may have deserved an 8.5

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1598 on: August 19, 2019, 01:10:28 PM »
That's bullsh**.  That's a bunch of f*****g crap, and you've clearly lost touch with all reality.  F*****g unbelievable.

Oh, wait, sorry, wrong thread.  That's to Jingle in another thread. 

This was fun, and I appreciate you having me.  I agree that the EP was hit or miss.   The timing threw me, and you'll note I asked about that specifically.  I would not have included the two songs you singled out - U2 or Rick Springfield - had I not needed to fill the space (I would have included Julian, though, because I just love that song).   If you liked the Oasis song, you should check out that album; it's their last (under "Oasis") but it is as strong in it's own way as anything that came before. It's a really consistent, solid album. 

Good, well run roulette and best of luck to Evermind.

(I really am kidding about that first line; it's a joke.)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1599 on: August 19, 2019, 02:44:19 PM »
Yeah Nekov, go group C!

Good game LoCo, for what it's worth I think your EP was cracking.

Ariich: Loss of a Loved One
I think this EP fits into the category of “I should enjoy this one more than I do.” Danny’s songs should be instant winners, seeing as how Anathema is one of my favorite bands, but his solo works have never gripped me all that much. I do think his vocal contributions in Anathema are an underrated asset for the band, but here he feels a bit samey. Don’t get me wrong—The Exorcist is a solid song, and The Silent Flight… is also decent (the latter feels a bit like a b side that might have been stuck on Hindsight, which is both a strength and a weakness in my book). I wasn’t entirely fair on Haken, Devin Townsend and TesseracT earlier—I think they’re all solid (some great songs mixed in), but Ihlo never unlocked me. It is by far my least favorite track here. Still, as negative as all of that sounds, your EP is a winner, and that’s mostly down to Petter Carlsen and Insomnium: those three tracks are great. I was somewhat familiar with Sirens when it came out, but not Clocks Don’t Count; I’m going to have to rectify that oversight, now. And yeah, Insomnium is wonderfully gloomy, heavy closer but also melodic and breathable. Mixed bag, but good enough to get you into the semifinals. 6.5
Yeah I really like that album of Danny's but without a doubt it's not as exciting as Anathema. Shame it didn't quite grab you though.

Really glad about Petter Carlsen and Insomnium though! In Carlsen's case, Sirens is a nice album (as most of his are) but for me Clocks Don't Count really stands out because it has much higher highs than his other work. Definitely recommend it. And with Insomnium, IMO they're the epitome of melodic death metal, incredibly atmospheric and beautiful music even at its heaviest. Their last two albums (Shadows of the Dying Sun and Winter's Gate) in particular are well worth a listen.

So, on to the semis and damn I'm up against Sacul. Not sure of my chances.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1600 on: August 19, 2019, 03:35:11 PM »
By the way Nelson, you said you're going away in a week? Just an observation that if we can finish the semi final and start the final by the time you go, then you won't be holding up any other roulettes, so you could take as long as you need with the final.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1601 on: August 19, 2019, 03:47:19 PM »
Yeah, thats my hope as well! 4 albums shouldnt take as long to judge, so i should be able to get that done before i leave.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #1602 on: August 19, 2019, 03:57:07 PM »
Thanks Ariich  :tup I just made a good EP for my opponent instead of the host. Good luck!

For once I managed to do a cohesive EP, even too much. I thought there were separate points for flow but anyway the whole bunch of songs was not your style, I wouldn't have won in any case.
It's a shame because I had a good pick for the full album round, an album that came out 20 days ago and I am appreciating a lot and I think it's something you could like too. I can send it to you if you want as Parama did with the EP round.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #1603 on: August 19, 2019, 03:59:19 PM »
Ok if you have time constraints, maybe it's not the case :lol
And I don't think I read my first impression when you published them, I would have guessed it and probably think I had already lost

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1604 on: August 19, 2019, 04:04:06 PM »
It's a shame because I had a good pick for the full album round, an album that came out 20 days ago and I am appreciating a lot and I think it's something you could like too. I can send it to you if you want as Parama did with the EP round.
Is it If/When by any chance? I've not checked it out yet as it wasn't on Spotify until very recently, but I'm still really digging the one you sent me in my roulette, and Rabbit is great too.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1605 on: August 19, 2019, 04:12:33 PM »
:emo:
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1606 on: August 19, 2019, 05:00:00 PM »
Id love to check out the album, LC!

And im sorry Tomi. Sacul is a bastard.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1607 on: August 19, 2019, 05:11:08 PM »
I was more sure about sending Tom Waits than Nick Cave. Evermind and Kattelox liked Tom's Closing Time album as mich as I do, it has a special place in my heart, definitely check it out.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1608 on: August 19, 2019, 05:28:00 PM »
Sent for round 9 because I'm addicted to failure

Offline LordCost

« Reply #1609 on: August 19, 2019, 11:41:35 PM »
Is it If/When by any chance? I've not checked it out yet as it wasn't on Spotify until very recently, but I'm still really digging the one you sent me in my roulette, and Rabbit is great too.
You read my mind too many times in this roulette..
The other recent album I know is the new Slipknot, which I love too, but obviously it was not that one :lol
It could be the best The Tea Club album, accessible while still prog (see the last song of the album). I didn't care much about Grappling but the new album made me interested in the band again.