PLACE YOUR BETS!

Sacul, The Dominator
3 (42.9%)
Cyril, The Former Champion
0 (0%)
Kattleox, Cheater Of Death
4 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Buddyhunter1's Roulette v4: Post-Roulette Updates: Sacul  (Read 43857 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Buddyhunter1's Roulette v4: Where We Droppin'? - IT'S OVER
« Reply #980 on: August 15, 2019, 11:04:08 PM »
I like Voyager, but Ghost Mile is merely OK.  :|

:biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #981 on: August 15, 2019, 11:24:22 PM »
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #982 on: August 15, 2019, 11:27:07 PM »
 :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #983 on: August 15, 2019, 11:45:47 PM »
i don't get voyager  :P

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #984 on: August 16, 2019, 05:05:03 AM »
i don't get voyager  :P

OMG, Parama and I agree on something musically.  Someone note the date and time, for it could be the end of existence as we know it anytime now.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #985 on: August 16, 2019, 05:42:51 AM »
Congrats Katt!!!!
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #986 on: August 16, 2019, 05:59:05 AM »
Voyager rules.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #987 on: August 16, 2019, 07:48:14 AM »
Katt, you should check out the latest VOLA album if you haven't already. Ghost Mile definitely reminded me of that in a lot of places.

Oh, and if you want top-tier poppy djent, listen to Destiny Potato - Lun. Yes, that's the actual name of the band. I think they're changing it for their next album. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #988 on: August 16, 2019, 08:15:13 AM »
Katt, you should check out the latest VOLA album if you haven't already. Ghost Mile definitely reminded me of that in a lot of places.

Oh, and if you want top-tier poppy djent, listen to Destiny Potato - Lun. Yes, that's the actual name of the band. I think they're changing it for their next album. :lol

I remember listening to a song by Destiny Potato a few years ago and wasn't charmed, but I also liked an album by a band called Magic Pie, I think, so I'm down for another shot. I think Elite sent me a VOLA song in my last roulette and it was interesting. I've heard a lot about them lately so I'll put that on the list as well :)

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #989 on: August 16, 2019, 12:09:32 PM »
Yeah I wasn't very confident in what I sent, but couldn't think of something else at the time. Would you mind if I send you some bonus albums?  :P

Congrats Katt! You deserve this win :metal. Buddy, thanks for having me, it was a blast, and I'm honestly surprised I did so well.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #990 on: August 16, 2019, 12:11:47 PM »
i already sent a bonus album so you should do it too

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #991 on: August 16, 2019, 12:17:34 PM »
According to the master list everybody else has won at least two roulettes. So I still have catching up to do  :corn

BTW... I still have no idea what a ghost mile is.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #992 on: August 16, 2019, 01:56:55 PM »
Yeah I wasn't very confident in what I sent, but couldn't think of something else at the time. Would you mind if I send you some bonus albums?  :P

Of course!
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #993 on: August 16, 2019, 01:58:59 PM »
According to the master list everybody else has won at least two roulettes. So I still have catching up to do  :corn

My first roulette was the first one senecadawg won and he promptly went on to dominate all of them, so maybe this is just the first of many for you  :corn

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #994 on: August 16, 2019, 02:23:20 PM »
on the flipside, yours was the second i won and then i didn't win any for like two years after that

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #995 on: August 16, 2019, 02:30:22 PM »

My first roulette was the first one senecadawg won and he promptly went on to dominate all of them, so maybe this is just the first of many for you  :corn

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #996 on: August 16, 2019, 02:37:55 PM »
Kattleox.  Make Roulette's Great Again.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #997 on: August 16, 2019, 02:48:18 PM »
"My submissions are long and beautiful, as, it has been well documented, are various other parts of my music collection."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #998 on: August 16, 2019, 03:00:15 PM »
"My submissions are long and beautiful, as, it has been well documented, are various other parts of my music collection."

Fake news

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #999 on: August 20, 2019, 11:33:50 AM »
Hey Puppies I know I didn't really like As A Womb at all but I heard good things about Teethed Glory And Injury after the fact, and my first listen was pretty positive, at least from the halfway point onward. So thanks for sending Alter Of Plagues, even if the specific song you sent wasn't very good in my opinion. :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1000 on: August 20, 2019, 11:51:46 AM »
i couldn't stand that album, personally, but tastes  :P

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1001 on: August 20, 2019, 12:09:44 PM »
I was ready to check out after the first four songs, but A Remedy And A Fever really stuck out to me, and the rest of the album from that point onward seemed pretty good. Will need to listen to it a few more times to form a proper opinion, for sure.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1002 on: August 20, 2019, 12:12:32 PM »
i just generally dislike industrial crap
hated that daughters album from last year too that everyone else loved

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1003 on: August 20, 2019, 12:14:19 PM »
I don't have any bonus albums to send. I'll just save for the next roulette. :)

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1004 on: August 20, 2019, 12:18:00 PM »
i just generally dislike industrial crap
hated that daughters album from last year too that everyone else loved

Hah. I have mixed opinions on that album. On one hand I liked the overall super dark atmosphere and some of the freaky noisier bits, but a lot of the songs on it were just too repetitive and lacking in hooks for me. Satan In The Wait is great, though. Their self-titled album's a lot more upbeat and straightforwardly heavy and I probably like it more, but I'm not a huge fan of it either.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Buddyhunter1's Roulette v4: Post-Roulette Updates: Kattleox
« Reply #1005 on: December 15, 2019, 03:03:53 PM »
Hey all, figured I'd do some post-roulette updates as I did end up checking out a lot of stuff as a result of this roulette. I'm going to do these grouped by who submitted them, at least for starters. First up is the champion, Kattleox!

Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors

There's definitely parts of this album that I like, but it hasn't really clicked with me yet. Part of that might have to do with the production; the guitars in particular sound really bad at certain points. But I do like the weird avant-garde sound here. I'm also kicking myself for not realizing earlier that the vocalist from Ulver was on here! He displays a lot more range on here than I thought he had. I still quite like For To End Yet Again, and Nightmare Heaven is pretty great as well.

Lauri Porra - Flyover

This album's quite nice. Instrumental albums are usually dead on arrival for me, but there's enough stylistic variety here to keep it engaging throughout. I like how much emotion the performances and melodies are able to convey, especially on songs like Dislocated, Flyover, and The Swan. Nothing else on the record is quite as good as Dislocated, but with how great that song is that isn't too surprising. Not that it matters at this point, but had you sent Rhapsody Of Consequences or Flyover instead of The Prisoner, you easily would have won that round without the need for a ranking swap!

IQ - The Road Of Bones

For starters, I haven't even bothered with the second disc of this one as it's apparently just "bonus" songs, and the main disc is already long enough as-is. My feelings on this band are kinda mixed. They seem to be very good at pacing out and writing engaging songs, even when the runtimes get super long. They can also convey some really haunting atmospheres when they commit to it, especially on the title track here. On the other hand, the vocals and the keyboard sounds don't always sit too well with me. The vocalist has like, no variety in his delivery. The vocal melodies could be a factor here too, but he always sounds very flat to me. The keyboards are more of a mixed bag; sometimes they work really well, other times they sound really dry and distracting. I do like Without Walls, and the title track is even better. The other three songs aren't quite good enough for me to go out and buy the album yet, but they might grow on me more.

I don't have a schedule for this here, so I'm not sure when the next update will be. That said, next up will be Cyril, followed by Sacul.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 03:10:21 PM by Buddyhunter1 »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Buddyhunter1's Roulette v4: Post-Roulette Updates: Kattleox
« Reply #1006 on: December 15, 2019, 03:08:20 PM »
i'm prepared to revel in your disappointment

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Buddyhunter1's Roulette v4: Post-Roulette Updates: Cyril
« Reply #1007 on: January 05, 2020, 07:27:14 PM »
Lots of interest, eh? :P Well whatever, time for some more.

Exist - Sunlight

Not a big fan of this one as a whole, and re-listening to Writhe I don't think I'm enjoying it quite as much as I did initially. While I enjoyed the weirdness of the strange, kinda atonal guitar soloing at the time, hearing it pop up all over the record instead of just one song made it start getting on my nerves. If their second record is better I might give it a shot, but I don't see myself returning to this one.

Slice The Cake - Odyssey To The West

This is a super ambitious record, and I admire that, but my big problem with it is that hardly any of the songs work for me on their own. The first half of the record is almost impenetrable for me; all I can really remember from it are the intro track and the main riff of The Mountains Of Man. Once it gets to Castle In The Sky Part II (where's part 1?) the songs start getting less same-y and I start enjoying the record a lot more, but there's still not much in the way of actual songs. Don't get me wrong, the album works quite well as a whole (though it's probably too long), but in order for me to really love an album it needs to be both holistic and also have some solid songs that work well on their own. I also still don't like the spoken word bits, but I could probably get over that if I liked the music more.

Cryptodira - The Devil's Despair

Eh, this is alright. Like with the rest of the records here, you picked out the best songs from it to send and the rest doesn't quite live up to it. It's a good length and none of the songs are bad (though In Hell As On Earth might come close; I remember it sounding pretty awkward), but it's not really grabbing me.

Warforged - I: Voice

This is... a bit much. :lol There's parts of this I like, but for how consistently extreme it is it's just waaaaaay too long. It also has the same problem Odyssey To The West has where a lot of songs don't really have much memorable qualities, though there are some highlights. Cellar is still kickass and one of the best songs I got this roulette. I also like when the album gets really creepy, like the quiet but suspenseful first half of Old Friend. Voice is probably my second favorite song, both for the creepiness and the doomy, slow tempo which gives a solid foundation for all the abrasiveness that gets thrown on top of it. Hopefully whatever these guys put out next is a bit more trimmed down and focused, because there's definitely potential here.

Well Cyril, if this has taught me anything you're very good at picking out the best songs from albums! :lol I wish I enjoyed the albums as a whole more, but it is what it is.

Sacul will be next.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1008 on: January 05, 2020, 07:31:19 PM »
Wow, somehow I missed this. Really cool that you checked those albums out. I had actually considered sending Rhapsody of Consequences, so that's funny to me :) Glad you dug them to some extent. I freaking love Lauri's solo music.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1009 on: January 05, 2020, 07:46:33 PM »
i mean i think that entire exist record is killer myself
and the slice the cake record is good too tho i don't revisit it much
and the cryptodira album is great but not a favorite
and the warforged album is great but not a favorite

tastes™

this roulette was long ago enough i had to check what i actually sent you also

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1010 on: January 05, 2020, 08:49:15 PM »
Yeah that Slice the Kek album is ok but I'd agree, it's just too much for me.

Looking forward to what you dug from what I sent you :metal

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1011 on: January 05, 2020, 10:57:47 PM »
That Warforged album is amazing! :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1012 on: January 06, 2020, 01:16:01 AM »
Slice the KEK
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1013 on: January 06, 2020, 01:17:52 AM »
isn't that literally your favorite album still, train

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1014 on: January 06, 2020, 03:53:56 PM »
Yep

It’s splitting hairs though, different albums for different moods, but OttW looks like my overall all time favorite
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.