PLACE YOUR BETS!

Sacul, The Dominator
3 (42.9%)
Cyril, The Former Champion
0 (0%)
Kattleox, Cheater Of Death
4 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Buddyhunter1's Roulette v4: Post-Roulette Updates: Sacul  (Read 44123 times)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Judging by the last several roulettes I have joined, I'm starting to wonder if any of you actually enjoy music....  :lol Perhaps I'm too easy to please when it comes to my own roulettes  :)
Have you seen my roulettes? I give people hell all the time  :lol
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Judging by the last several roulettes I have joined, I'm starting to wonder if any of you actually enjoy music....  :lol Perhaps I'm too easy to please when it comes to my own roulettes  :)

Didn't you, like, win my roulette?
Maybe  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Bump. I promise to get the final results up by friday night at the latest. Between the three albums, I'm pretty sure I know which one I'd rank the lowest, and if I were forced to pick now I'd likely crown [REDACTED] as the winner, but they're all still pretty close in terms of quality.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
bruh
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
I'm the lowest  :metal

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
on one hand i kinda want to send you a post-roulette playlist of stuff i didn't get around sending

on the other hand, i could save for v5  :corn

• DTF.org Member
on one hand i kinda want to send you a post-roulette playlist of stuff i didn't get around sending

on the other hand, i could save for v5  :corn
In 3 years  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
unless my external hard drive dies i'll still have my file from this one in 3 years, so  :P

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
I do have an idea for a 5th roulette, but yeah, I'd probably wait at least a couple years.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
results when
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Still not sure, but I'll drop a little something later today to make the wait less painful. Or more painful. It depends. :neverusethis:

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
In an attempt to tide you all over until the final results in a few days, I present to you... updated impressions

Cyril: A Novelist - Folie

First Impressions: This was a bit hard to get through, not gonna lie. I like how many influences it has, but the resulting sound feels abrasive and messy.

Updated Impressions: The sound here is very unique, but the guitar work has been the biggest hurdle for me. I like the more technical parts, but the dissonant harmonies and chord progressions get a bit grating after a while. The album has grown on me though, so we’ll see if it continues to do so. Pretty much every song here has at least a bit or two I enjoy.

Tracks I've been enjoying: Tombeau, Apparitions, Caveat Lector
Tracks that aren't doing much for me: Exteriors, Crestfallen, Learning Paralysis

Kattleox: Voyager - Ghost Mile

First Impressions: Some parts were enjoyable, but a lot of it blended together and I’m having difficulty seeing what sets this band apart from all the others like them.

Updated Impressions: These folks have definitely been listening to Tesseract. While this album hardly gets any points for originality in the sound department, if my snarkiness wasn’t clear enough, I can’t deny it’s got some good songs.

Tracks I've been enjoying: Misery Is Only Company, The Fragile Serene, As The City Takes The Night
Tracks that aren't doing much for me: Ascension, What A Wonderful Day

Sacul: Hooverphonic - A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular

First Impressions: My enjoyment fluctuated on a song-per-song basis. Some of them sounded pretty cool, while others put me to sleep.

Updated Impressions: Like I said in my first impressions, the quality of the songs here isn’t quite as consistent as I would like. It’s got some fantastic cuts like the first three songs, but also some clunkers like Revolver. I do enjoy the chill atmosphere and the dreamy vocals, though.

Tracks I've been enjoying: Inhaler, 2 Wicky, Wardrope
Tracks that aren't doing much for me: Plus Profound, Cinderella, Revolver

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
You basically listed some of the shortest or simplest songs as your least favorites which kinda bodes well I think? Dunno :P

Granted, I adore Crestfallen but I'd agree Exteriors is the weakest track

I dig the hell out of that kind of dissonant-but-not-tunelesd stuff a lot though haha. Be thankful I didn't send El Drugstore

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Dang. The two you aren't caring for are two of my absolute favorites on that record. Odd because Voyager's got a totally unique, original sound that drew me to them whereas a lot of prog is like 'okay we get it you like Tool or Dream Theater or Yes'  :lol

I think Cyril is out (sorry!) and I'm hoping Voyager's (perceived, hopefully) consistency puts me over Socool's.

Fingers crossed.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
You not having faith in me is a good sign, tbh  :corn

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Odd because Voyager's got a totally unique, original sound that drew me to them whereas a lot of prog is like 'okay we get it you like Tool or Dream Theater or Yes'  :lol

I would have agreed with you earlier in the decade, but the prog metal trend nowadays seems to be that melodic / atmospheric style of djent that I first heard Tesseract doing with albums like Altered State and Polaris. Not saying that different bands never put their own spin on it, and I do like that sound, but I keep hearing it these days in bands like this, VOLA (to a lesser extent), and some albums that sounded so derivative to me that I never gave them more than a single listen (Ihlo, Time The Valuator)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
You'll be confused to know that I dislike Tesseract then!  :lol

Offline Lethean

Chiming in, just 'cuz... I dunno, I like Voyager. :)

I think Voyager is a pretty original band, but they're also a band that's evolved and incorporated different things into their sound over time.  There is a lot of Tesseract influence in Ghost Mile, but, if it makes a difference or not... I don't *at all* think it's a case where they were new musicians who heard Tesseract and decide they just had to sound like them.  It's more a case of their sound evolving over time and new things that they like rubbing off on them.  If you listen to their catalog (which started before Tesseract came on the scene) in order, it just seems like a natural progression.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Results tonight!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
time to die  :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
This is as close as I've ever come to winning a roulette and I've already accepted 2nd place :2metal: grats Sacul

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Free me  :corn :corn :corn

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Chiming in, just 'cuz... I dunno, I like Voyager. :)

I think Voyager is a pretty original band, but they're also a band that's evolved and incorporated different things into their sound over time.  There is a lot of Tesseract influence in Ghost Mile, but, if it makes a difference or not... I don't *at all* think it's a case where they were new musicians who heard Tesseract and decide they just had to sound like them.  It's more a case of their sound evolving over time and new things that they like rubbing off on them.  If you listen to their catalog (which started before Tesseract came on the scene) in order, it just seems like a natural progression.

Also, pre-empting results, I totally agree with this. There's a definite organic progression in their style and it's pretty cool to watch it develop. Ghost Mile is the most... Voyager-y album yet, I suppose, if you catch what I'm saying. But The Meaning of I doesn't have anywhere near as much of that djenty sound. V kind of does, though.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Buddyhunter1's Roulette v4: Where We Droppin'? - IT'S OVER
« Reply #968 on: August 15, 2019, 07:54:42 PM »
Alrighty, sorry for the long wait. Here we go, the final results!

---FINAL ROUND RESULTS---

Firstly, I give you the write-ups for each album by themselves, only sorted by the standings going into this round.

Sacul
Hooverphonic - A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular

Since I liked Risingson so much, I suppose it only made sense for you to throw me into the deep end of trip-hop with a full album. Unlike that song, however, my feelings on this album are decidedly more mixed. While the other two albums I got this round felt quite wholistic, this one feels more like a collection of songs, some good, some lackluster. The start of the album is very promising; the opener Inhaler features a smooth beat and some cool-sounding synths, but what really elevates the song to another level are the sparse bursts of funky guitar. This track, like many others, has a very interesting combination of sounds; I will definitely say the record as a whole is very pleasant to the ear. The well-crafted soundscapes carry most of the weight, but the smooth, dreamy vocals on every track also help a lot. The next song, 2 Wicky, showcases the record’s variety with a more sultry, jazzy aesthetic. It reminded me a lot of Glory Box by Portishead, albeit much brighter. The song Wardrope is a big highlight for me; I like the polyrhythm between the main beat and the echoing guitar, and the song introduces layers very well. The album starts to dip in quality after the first three songs, however. Plus Profound is the first track that just feels way too basic and uninteresting. Other songs like Cinderella and Sarangi don’t do much for me either, and the biggest clunker by far is Revolver. I’m really not a fan of the peppy vibe it has, and the samples repeated throughout it are just plain annoying. I was definitely left wanting some stronger atmospheres on a lot of songs as well. Sure, many tracks have very distinct moods, but nothing as strong as some of the other songs you’ve sent this roulette. There are some bright spots in the second half of the album here and there, though. Barabas has an incredibly dramatic, string-driven climax that’s one of the most intense moments on the record. The more hard-rocking Nr. 9 is a cool change of pace, and the verses are very dreamy, but the song does feel a little underdeveloped. Lastly, the songs Someone and Innervoice are very laid-back and peaceful, but not all that memorable. This album had its high points for sure, but it did leave me wanting a few more peaks and a bit less valleys.

Favorite Songs: Inhaler, 2 Wicky, Wardrope, Barabas
Least Favorite Song: Revolver

Cyril
A Novelist - Folie

Out of the three records, this one was certainly the most challenging, in both a good way and a bad way. Even after many listens, I feel like I still haven’t fully figured it out. Part of that is undoubtedly due to its dense, everything-but-the-kitchen-sink sound. Black metal influences, mathcore influences, post-hardcore and progressive elements, a horn section, and even some auto-tuned background vocals at one point, why the hell not? It’s a lot to process, and how well all these elements blend together is a bit of a mixed bag for me. I like a lot of the mathcore-inspired guitar shredding; tracks like Tombeau and Strangers In The House Of Auto-Da-Fae have plenty of blistering lead guitar lines that bring a lot of energy to the sound. The jazzy horns are almost always used to great effect, especially in the outro of His Kingdom Is Vast and the intro of Caveat Lector. On the other hand, the sound as a whole has a very sour and noisy quality to it, which isn’t really my preferred metal aesthetic. This largely comes from the prevalence of the wretched harsh vocals and a surplus of dissonant harmonies and chords from the guitar lines. There’s hardly any breathing room on the album either; it’s nearly an hour long and I wouldn’t call a single song on it peaceful. That’s not inherently a bad thing, but all the harshness does add up and doesn’t make sitting through the entire album in one go the most appealing prospect to me. Song wise, it’s only fitting that the songwriting is as all-over-the-place as the sound. This is one of those albums where the songs are largely defined by individual moments, rather than their overall structure or cohesiveness. This is a double-edged sword for me, but while many songs aren’t too memorable as a whole, there are plenty of moments sprinkled throughout the album that will be sticking with me for quite some time. As I mentioned before, the horns in the outro of His Kingdom Is Vast create one hell of a climax. I really like the second half of Acacia Crown, with its bright keyboards, emotional vocals, and intricate lead guitar lines. The intro of Caveat Lector is absolutely fantastic; easily the best part of the entire record for me. The ending chord of Acacia Crown transitions into it perfectly, the guitar lines build up an incredible amount of tension, and it’s all complimented amazingly well with some smooth saxophone playing. It pains me that this part of the song feels so disconnected from the remainder of it; the rest isn’t bad, but I wish the intro were developed upon more. Apparitions is probably the most consistently great song on the album for me, with all of the album’s best qualities getting at least a brief spotlight somewhere within it, all wrapped up by a considerably brighter mood than the rest of the record. Finally, I liked how the closing track Interiors wraps up the album on a relatively low-key and somber note. It’s a nice finish after a somewhat weak final stretch. While my first impressions of this album were pretty negative, its complexity and depth certainly caused my opinion of it to grow over time. At the time of writing, I’m still not completely sold on it, but I cannot deny the creativity on display here. It’s a very interesting and decently fulfilling journey, though not exactly an easy one.

Favorite Songs: Apparitions, His Kingdom Is Vast, Acacia Crown, Caveat Lector
Least Favorite Song: Learning Paralysis

Kattleox
Voyager - Ghost Mile (2017)

While I enjoyed this album from the start, I initially couldn’t help but feel like I had heard most of what it had to offer many times before. A lot of progressive metal bands these days seem to be going after that more accessible, melodic, and mildly atmospheric flavor of djent that I first heard from Tesseract on their album Altered State. This album’s no exception, and nowhere is that more obvious than the very first song, Ascension. From the ethereal, effects-slathered clean guitar line, the soaring clean vocal lines, the extremely tight and technical riffs, and the overall floaty atmosphere, it’s a dead-ringer for that sound to the point where listening to it still gives me a sense of deja-vu. It’s not bad, but it does feel very generic to me. Thankfully, the rest of the album feels considerably more fresh and unique. Compared to most others like it, this album features a very prevalent use of piano and keyboards, which add a nice dimension to many of its songs. The vocalist also has a pretty unique voice, and the catchy vocal lines showcase his abilities quite well. The focus on melody across most of the album is welcome, and results in some really great choruses and hooks. The batch of songs immediately following the opener are all relatively straightforward yet very well-written and memorable tracks. Misery Is Only Company is a big highlight for me, with some great interplay between the guitars, vocals, and piano in its frantic verses, and its slower chorus which has a lot of power to it. Lifeline features a very nice atmospheric synth soundscape in the background and another great, catchy chorus. The Fragile Serene ends off this three-hit combo with a bang; I love the slow main riff and the soaring lead melody, which come together to create an absolutely massive sound. Afterwards, we get the first of two calmer piano-driven ballads on the album, To The Riverside and later on This Gentle Earth. While I wouldn’t put either of these among the absolute best songs on the album, I do like them and the change of pace they bring. To The Riverside sets up and transitions into the title track seamlessly, which is a surprisingly sprawling and complex song despite barely being over four minutes long. The song What A Wonderful Day has a very interesting electronic beat unlike anything else on the album, but compared to the rest of the record, I found the vocal melodies and lyrics to be quite mediocre. I’m also not a huge fan of the heavier Disconnected, as I find the album to be at its best when it’s trying to be more melodic and hook-driven. The brief use of growls toward the end of this song also feel pretty out of place. Finally, the album wraps up nicely with As The City Takes The Night, which is a great climactic closer with some sick bass guitar breaks. At a tight runtime of 44 minutes and only ten tracks, this record’s got pretty much the perfect length. It doesn’t feel too short, it has very little filler, and it covers all the ground it needs to without overstaying its welcome. That alone puts it above a plethora of other records for me. While this record shares a lot of similarities with other modern progressive metal albums, it’s executed better than the majority of them. As a fan of that sound and quality songwriting, I definitely enjoyed this one.

Favorite Songs: Misery Is Only Company, Lifeline, The Fragile Serene, As The City Takes The Night
Least Favorite Song: What A Wonderful Day

...aaaand now that you've skipped those to get straight to the results, here's the final standings!

3rd Place: Sacul

You were on fire for most of this roulette, I gotta say. While I didn't enjoy your album quite as much as the other two, that doesn't take away from how much ass you've kicked throughout this entire thing. Thanks for sending so much quality stuff - I've already bought Void Mother by Obscure Sphinx and I think it's fantastic, and I'm sure more stuff you sent will lead to even more great discoveries.

2nd Place: Cyril

Well hey, in the end, at least you beat Sacul! Your album was the biggest grower for sure, and maybe if I had sat on these records for another week or two, it might have ended up winning. But I've already kept this round going on long enough, and had to cut it somewhere. Congratulations on almost winning a second time, and thanks for all the :metal :metal :metal

1st Place: Kattleox

Well, this was unexpected. You've come a long way from being dead last in a round with thirteen other people! After the first few rounds, I was sure you were going to get eliminated, but I'm glad you proved me wrong. Since Arcturus, you've been incredibly consistent in sending great stuff, and in the end, your album managed to snag the top spot. Congratulations on your first roulette win! Thanks for playing, and thanks for the great music!

---FINAL SCORES---

1: Kattleox - 76 [ALL PERKS USED]
2: Cyril - 90 [ALL PERKS USED]
3: Sacul - 92 [ALL PERKS USED]

Eliminated

4: Ruba - 72 [ALL PERKS USED]
5: Nekov - 68 [ALL PERKS USED]
6: Tomislav95 - 59 [ALL PERKS USED]
6: jingle.boy - 59 [ALL PERKS USED]
8: DTA - 36 [ALL PERKS USED]
9: Puppies_On_Acid - 34 [ALL PERKS USED]
10: TAC - 31 [ALL PERKS USED]
11: Stadler - 18 [PERKS USED: DOUBLE POINTS]
12: kingshmegland - 17 [PERKS USED: DOUBLE POINTS]
13: senecadawg2 - 12 [PERKS USED: DOUBLE POINTS]
14: Evermind - 9 [ALL PERKS USED]

One last thanks to everyone who participated in this thing. Might have been my best roulette yet. I hope to see you all again for another one eventually, but until then, I've got a backlog of albums to check out! Thank you and goodnight!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #969 on: August 15, 2019, 07:57:49 PM »
Congrats to the Katt!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #970 on: August 15, 2019, 07:58:06 PM »
conkattulations!

i voted right, at least  :hat
anyways i guess i should've just saved warforged for this round because with how much you liked cellar i'm pretty sure you'd like the whole thing but anyways  :metal

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #971 on: August 15, 2019, 08:08:43 PM »
conkattulations!

i voted right, at least  :hat
anyways i guess i should've just saved warforged for this round because with how much you liked cellar i'm pretty sure you'd like the whole thing but anyways  :metal
Should have sent On Strange Loops :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #972 on: August 15, 2019, 08:09:10 PM »
i somehow doubt that would've fared well in this roulette unfortunately  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #973 on: August 15, 2019, 08:24:35 PM »

Playing these roulettes is like playing an addictive arcade game; just one more game until you crack the high score, and another, and another... Finally scratched that itch and won one and it sure wasn't easy. No chance I would have won if the final round rule wasn't in play, obviously, but I still won fairly, so hooray for me :)

Really happy you enjoyed that album, and that it clicked with you better than other bands with similar qualities. It sits at #12 on my top 50 albums. I love it to death, and I'm glad I got to share it with you. Very fun roulette, thanks for letting me play.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #974 on: August 15, 2019, 08:45:05 PM »
Congrats for popping your cherry here MJ.   :tup
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lethean

« Reply #975 on: August 15, 2019, 09:50:14 PM »
Woohoo! :)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #976 on: August 15, 2019, 10:20:21 PM »
I don’t get why The Ghost Mile is as liked as it is.

Voyager are an amazing live band, lots of fun, but none of their albums do a lot for me. There’s good tracks on most of them, and some outstanding ones (I’ve sent Voyager in roulettes as well), but overall I don’t think they’re really good.

Okay, that was that. Sorry for crashing the party. Never a missed opportunity to bash The Ghost Mile :neverusethis:

Congrats!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Lethean

« Reply #977 on: August 15, 2019, 10:30:19 PM »
Ghost Mile rules.

I listened to it this evening in fact, while working out.  It's pretty awesome.

Edited to add - I now feel better about all the bad scores I've gotten by sending Voyager. :P

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #978 on: August 15, 2019, 10:45:09 PM »
Ghost Mile is dope, Voyager is dope, Lethean is dope 'cause we're keeping the Voyager hype alive.  :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #979 on: August 15, 2019, 10:58:11 PM »
I like Voyager, but Ghost Mile is merely OK.  :|
aka Puppies_On_Acid