Author Topic: Too Old To Die Young (Amazon Prime Series)  (Read 1640 times)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Too Old To Die Young (Amazon Prime Series)
« on: June 15, 2019, 11:43:23 PM »
From the Director of Drive, Nicolas Winding Refn, is a new series on Amazon Prime:

Too Old to Die Young follows "a grieving police officer who, along with the man who shot his partner, finds himself in an underworld filled with working-class hit men, Yakuza soldiers, cartel assassins sent from Mexico, Russian mafia captains and gangs of teenage killers

It's available now, and I watched the first episode. Portnoy was talking about it on Twitter: "Imagine Breaking Bad meets A Serbian Film meets 8mm meets Fargo meets Reservoir Dogs...Directed by David Lynch or Stanley Kubrick"

I kind of see where he's coming from, but that first episode felt like a chore to get through. It's an hour and a half long and there's a lot of staring between characters, sparse dialogue, some cool action pieces, a very creepy Billy Baldwin. I really want to continue with it though because episodes 4 and 5 were shown at Cannes and apparently it was very polarizing with some people walking out due to the violence and portrayal of women. Others really liked the style of it, which I will say, it is a really good looking show, it's got that NWF 80s urban feel to it similar to Drive.

Has anyone else checked it out? It seems like a slow burn, and I keep hearing about Episode 5, so I really want to get to that spot. According to Nicolas, you can pop in at any point and be able to piece together what's happening, which some people have said is true. Anyways, I'm curious what others think.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Too Old To Die Young (Amazon Prime Series)
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 10:37:54 AM »
I want to check it out, didn't realize it was out yet. Refn is a great director but a bit all over the place sometimes. Drive is one of my all time favorite movies, Only God Forgives failed to live up to that level (but was still great visually) and Neon Demon for me fell somewhere in between the two where I enjoyed it quite a bit, but it was also quite strange. I haven't seen his older movies but I know people love Pusher and Bronson so I'll get to those at some point.

He's an interesting enough director where I will check out anything he puts out because visually you get some really beautiful shots and while he doesn't always deliver at his best, Drive is a modern day classic as far as I'm concerned.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 07:26:26 PM »
He's an interesting enough director where I will check out anything he puts out because visually you get some really beautiful shots and while he doesn't always deliver at his best, Drive is a modern day classic as far as I'm concerned.
Agreed on both counts. Drive is visually stunning and a lot of fun to watch, that opening scene is just tense. I like his visual style, which is why I was excited about this one, but it just wasn't sucking me in. According to Refn though, you can watch any episode and understand what's going on (apparently), so if I can't get into it after the next few episodes, I'm going to watch episode 4 and 5, which apparently are the most intense episodes in the series.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 01:45:41 AM »
Whew, I gave this one a go and man, it was tough getting through every episode. Every scene from the opening to the final of every episode was so stretched out with long awkward pauses between each and every piece of dialogue. Most of the episodes were from 1 to 1 1/2 hours in length which could've easily been minimized to half of that time. The story was really not compelling at all even if it would've been condensed. There really was no ending, it just kind of ended. So, if you watched the first episode and thought the dialogue and events were too slow and drawn out, then don't bother with the rest because it never changes and this one was a tough chore just to finish. Very disappointing IMO. :tdwn

Offline Volante99

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 01:30:06 AM »
I encourage anyone who struggles with insomnia to give this show a try. It worked for me!

Seriously, though there were some moments of greatness but I wasn’t crazy about how EVERY character acted so robotic and dryly. Imagine a television show where literally every actor does their best Ryan Gosling from Drive impression and you’ll have a pretty good idea of what this show is like.