Author Topic: A message from the band regarding recent European dates  (Read 9316 times)

Offline nikatapi

Re: A message from the band regarding recent European dates
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2019, 12:05:14 AM »
Well, what's done is done, i think the band should have been more careful with the communication and at least check their website and what was re-posted on their social media. I don't believe they did it on purpose.

But, at least for countries like Greece which are not part of every tour, they should consider altering their playlist and total play time, as 90 minutes after 9 years will leave many people disappointed. In 2011 they also had support (Fates Warning) and they played a lengthy set.

Offline Loggins

• Rocks.
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2019, 05:53:53 AM »
There are easy technical ways to fix and improve communication, but often there are marketing teams in conversation with managers and others that have no knowledge of the issues. These things are an oversight.

For instance they should have separate distinct web pages for the different tour legs with a short description at the top for the overall tour. That would include information such as estimated set time (unlikely), and the text and images on the page would reflect what is covered instead of making blanket statements for a whole year.

The communication may be partially "the bands" fault (the band being direct employees whos job it is to promote and book), but the cost to me seems expected due to the way promotions work and the fact that the tour is "international" instead of their own home country. I am sure it costs more for the band to play in Germany than to play in New York, and I would bet that the base price in Europe reflects that cost in some way.

A few years ago (self-titled tour, I think) they didn't play in the SouthEast US at all, which to me was a pretty massive oversight.

I do feel like they are listening, and this forum and other means of communication are used to improve the experience, and that is a great thing.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2019, 06:11:26 AM »
1. The Tour was announced in November 2018 and was taglined SFAM anniversary tours on the DT official website for over 5 months (until the NA leg was over)! Hence, it would not be totally correct to mention that this miscommunication lasted "for a very short time".

Well, no, that is not entirely correct.  The North American leg of the tour was promoted as the SFAM anniversary tour.  The website did NOT say that any other legs would be SFAM anniversary tours.  And the band had said in interviews that the SFAM tour would not be done in Europe this time around. I'm sorry you misunderstood what was said on the website, but it was not promoted the way you are describing.

Now that the whole issue is clearer, I guess you owe me an apology Bosk for the above.

I am 40 years corporate lawyer and a partner in one of the top 5 law firm in my country, and I was MISLED; I did not in anyway "misunderstood what was said on the website" and it WAS promoted EXACTLY the way I am describing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2019, 08:43:32 AM »
1. The Tour was announced in November 2018 and was taglined SFAM anniversary tours on the DT official website for over 5 months (until the NA leg was over)! Hence, it would not be totally correct to mention that this miscommunication lasted "for a very short time".

Well, no, that is not entirely correct.  The North American leg of the tour was promoted as the SFAM anniversary tour.  The website did NOT say that any other legs would be SFAM anniversary tours.  And the band had said in interviews that the SFAM tour would not be done in Europe this time around. I'm sorry you misunderstood what was said on the website, but it was not promoted the way you are describing.

Now that the whole issue is clearer, I guess you owe me an apology Bosk for the above.

I am 40 years corporate lawyer and a partner in one of the top 5 law firm in my country, and I was MISLED; I did not in anyway "misunderstood what was said on the website" and it WAS promoted EXACTLY the way I am describing.

I don't think that is entirely accurate, as I've said.  I'm sorry you acted on incorrect information.  That information did not come from the band, and as soon as they realized it was incorrect information, they had it pulled down (which is why that is no longer an active page).  As a fan, it sucks to have made a decision based on that.  I completely get it.  I see where you are coming from, and I sympathize.  As do the band.  But I think "misled" is inaccurate, for the reasons I have already stated.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2019, 11:48:44 AM »

I don't think that is entirely accurate, as I've said.  I'm sorry you acted on incorrect information.  That information did not come from the band, and as soon as they realized it was incorrect information, they had it pulled down (which is why that is no longer an active page).  As a fan, it sucks to have made a decision based on that.  I completely get it.  I see where you are coming from, and I sympathize.  As do the band.  But I think "misled" is inaccurate, for the reasons I have already stated.

I'm sorry but if the band's official website is not a trusted source, then i don't know what is.
Again, mistakes do happen and the band had said in several occasions that the 1st european leg would be a "festival" one, but i don't think every fan is as hardcore as we are, and checking out all interviews and such.
In this case, given the previous website state, i think it's not outlandish to say that some people were mislead.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2019, 12:51:03 PM »
I think "misled" is the wrong word to use too, regarding the band's website.   It clearly did not say that they were performing SFAM in full, and only used the word "celebrating."   

Now, combine that celebration with the US tour featuring the full performance of the album and I can see fans and promoters interpreting it to mean that they European tour would feature a full album performance.  But that's not really the band's fault.  They're touring on a new album and will have shorter set lengths.  The band has every right to say "no, we're not going to play the full album."   It sucks if promoters were saying that it would happen, but the band is not going back on THEIR word.

Now, when this happened to Megadeth 5 years ago with the anniversary of Youthanasia and foreign promoters stated that the band would play the album in full, Megadeth said "no, we're not going to do the album, but we will play some extra songs from it."  And they did break out a few rarely played songs from the album to make good on what the fans expected to hear.

Maybe DT can drop one song from their set and add one or two more from SFAM.  Maybe they won't....but I don't see the band being at fault for this.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2019, 04:13:18 PM »
Scotty, I get where you are coming from.  But you are speculating about quite a few things in that post that I do not believe accurately reflect what has happened here.
I know I am speculating - I won't deny that. But based on what is known, what other logical conclusion is there?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2019, 04:33:04 PM »
Respectfully, that is the wrong question.  Given that there IS other information that is not known to the general public, one should not draw "logical conclusions" based on only what is known, because that is only a partial picture.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2019, 04:50:55 PM »
I think "misled" is the wrong word to use too, regarding the band's website.   It clearly did not say that they were performing SFAM in full, and only used the word "celebrating."   

Now, combine that celebration with the US tour featuring the full performance of the album and I can see fans and promoters interpreting it to mean that they European tour would feature a full album performance.  But that's not really the band's fault.  They're touring on a new album and will have shorter set lengths.  The band has every right to say "no, we're not going to play the full album."   It sucks if promoters were saying that it would happen, but the band is not going back on THEIR word.

Now, when this happened to Megadeth 5 years ago with the anniversary of Youthanasia and foreign promoters stated that the band would play the album in full, Megadeth said "no, we're not going to do the album, but we will play some extra songs from it."  And they did break out a few rarely played songs from the album to make good on what the fans expected to hear.

Maybe DT can drop one song from their set and add one or two more from SFAM.  Maybe they won't....but I don't see the band being at fault for this.

I mean, "celebrating" is a bit rich considering they're only playing TDOE.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2019, 10:24:21 PM »
It really feels like we're splitting hairs here on what was communicated. I think the bottom line is if a lot of fans are bummed/upset that isnt good. While the job of promotion is delegated, the buck stops with the band. It's Their band... It only takes a minute for someone in the band to read the website. Just my perception and I am a Total fan.

As an aside. I have read many times here on the forum where many would love to see DT play with so and so band. Now the complaint is we need more DT and want an "Evening With". (I personally would never want to share my DT experience with any other band.) :heart

Offline Lethean

« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2019, 10:49:33 PM »
I agree with geeemo and was going to make a similar comment about the buck stopping with the band.  I don't think anyone thinks this was intentional.  But the apology seems a little defensive and the statement that it was only for a short time isn't exactly correct.  People are commenting on Facebook about how the Facebook events (accessible from the band's page) mentioned SFAM anniversary.  Someone posted a video (since deleted) for an Italian show that mentioned SFAM in the video advertising.  I think the band should do something - I don't know exactly what.  Offering a refund for the remaining shows might be a nice gesture.  If it were me, I probably wouldn't take them up on it and would see the show anyway.  But the offer would make me feel better.  Maybe another apology, maybe a video one, saying they're so sorry and sounding sincere.  And an assurance that they're going to be on top of it from here on out.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2019, 11:32:32 PM »
I agree with geeemo and was going to make a similar comment about the buck stopping with the band.  I don't think anyone thinks this was intentional.  But the apology seems a little defensive and the statement that it was only for a short time isn't exactly correct.  People are commenting on Facebook about how the Facebook events (accessible from the band's page) mentioned SFAM anniversary.  Someone posted a video (since deleted) for an Italian show that mentioned SFAM in the video advertising.  I think the band should do something - I don't know exactly what.  Offering a refund for the remaining shows might be a nice gesture.  If it were me, I probably wouldn't take them up on it and would see the show anyway.  But the offer would make me feel better.  Maybe another apology, maybe a video one, saying they're so sorry and sounding sincere.  And an assurance that they're going to be on top of it from here on out.

Of course, deciding to play SFAM of the non-festival shows after all is not going to happen.

But that's not my (and many other's) complaint. My problem is that I payed quite bit of money (by far the most expensive DT show I have bought tickets for) and would like a little more than just 90 minutes of DT music. They could extend their 90 minute set into a 120 minute set. I haven't seen the setlist (and I don't want to), but add some cool things! The run from TDOE to Finally Free. Or Octavarium as a finale! But I don't think there is enough time to rearrange the show since DT shows have become very controlled and "perfect" since MP left (click, setlist the same every night, lights, etc - not a criticism, just an observation).
any rock can be made to roll

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2019, 12:12:27 AM »

Of course, deciding to play SFAM of the non-festival shows after all is not going to happen.

But that's not my (and many other's) complaint. My problem is that I payed quite bit of money (by far the most expensive DT show I have bought tickets for) and would like a little more than just 90 minutes of DT music. They could extend their 90 minute set into a 120 minute set. I haven't seen the setlist (and I don't want to), but add some cool things! The run from TDOE to Finally Free. Or Octavarium as a finale! But I don't think there is enough time to rearrange the show since DT shows have become very controlled and "perfect" since MP left (click, setlist the same every night, lights, etc - not a criticism, just an observation).

Υeah i think if the duration of the show was longer (as it was in past similar "festival"/support shows) people wouldn't be so disappointed. And as far as i know it's not like the promoters wanted to have "festivals" (sometimes with unknown bands) everywhere, it was a management decision to have the tour the way it is. Maybe adding half an hour in DT set would make the pill less hard to swallow for people who booked their (expensive) tickets based on non-accurate information available through official communication channels (FB, DT website). I don't think that is splitting hairs to be honest.

Offline cminor

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2019, 01:11:33 AM »
Offering a refund for the remaining shows might be a nice gesture.

That's exactly what happened in Oberhausen last week. If I remember correctly, the schedule was posted on Tuesday morning and in the evening (after a lot of fans complained) the promoter agreed that tickets could be refunded. But this must have been a decision of the promoter, I guess no one from the band management was involved or even asked. So yeah, a refund (or a discount) for the remaining non festival dates would be an option, but I think the chance it's gonna happen is pretty small.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2019, 04:30:37 AM »

You sound exactly like DT lawyers .... and DT here stands for Donald Trump !!   :rollin

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2019, 06:16:26 AM »

You sound exactly like DT lawyers .... and DT here stands for Donald Trump !!   :rollin

:rollin

I just side with the band on this one.  It sucks that fans are disappointed, but aside from some confusing language on the band's website, I don't see that it's their fault at all.  Hopefully they adjust the set and give fans a little more from SFAM.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2019, 06:50:42 AM »
Well, look on the bright side - you're getting to see DT play a unique set with Peruvian Skies and Lie, plus you get to see them again next year!

I wish they'd hurry up and announce a proper European tour. It's a bit of a tradition here in the UK that bands who play the Download festival (held last weekend) as their "only UK show" of the year tend to announce shows for the end of the year in the week after - we've already seen a lot of the bands who were on the bill to exactly that, and it's only Wednesday. Jus' sayin'
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2019, 07:13:15 AM »
Quote from: Fritzinger link=topic=53988.msg2560047#msg2560047

While I agree with some of that last part, it is worth noting that the set lists have not been the same every night on this tour (no spoilers).

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2019, 09:10:24 AM »
Well, look on the bright side - you're getting to see DT play a unique set with Peruvian Skies and Lie, plus you get to see them again next year!

I wish they'd hurry up and announce a proper European tour. It's a bit of a tradition here in the UK that bands who play the Download festival (held last weekend) as their "only UK show" of the year tend to announce shows for the end of the year in the week after - we've already seen a lot of the bands who were on the bill to exactly that, and it's only Wednesday. Jus' sayin'

Don't spoil any more of the setlist please... :-[

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2019, 09:58:08 AM »
Seems to me the complaints are mainly about paying too much. That IS NOT ON THE BAND. If you have a problem with the pricing, take it up with the promoters as they set the prices.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Lethean

« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2019, 10:13:50 AM »
I don't think they're complaining about paying too much. If they thought it was too much, they either wouldn't have paid, or they would have paid but complained at the time tickets went on sale. :)

People are saying they paid too much for what they are now aware that they'll be getting. They thought they were paying a full set featuring Scenes from a Memory.  Now they find out they're getting a 90 minute or less set.  And this particular miscommunication eventually does fall on the band. The band (or someone working for them) should have checked their website and the Facebook events on the band's page.

I love DT, and certainly consider myself to be on "their side." But like geemo said, the buck stops there.  Acknowledge your role in this, offer a refund, maybe add a few more songs, and fix it for next time.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2019, 10:53:02 AM »
The fairest thing to do from here is for the band to advertise forthcoming American shows on their website as a "celebration" of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, then spend 90 minutes of every show singing Happy Birthday to a vinyl copy of the album before rounding it off with an encore of Whispers on the Wind. It would probably suck, but technically - technically! - nobody was misled.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2019, 11:42:35 AM »
Well, look on the bright side - you're getting to see DT play a unique set with Peruvian Skies and Lie

If Peruvian Skies and Lie is "the bright side," I hate to see the alternative!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2019, 12:14:16 PM »
Haven't there been quite a few mess ups with the tours since MP left? 

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2019, 02:27:49 PM »
I feel like there’s been mess up the last 3 tours.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2019, 03:02:39 PM »
Mislead is a fucking great JLB solo track. Maybe they should play that at the shows as an encore  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2019, 10:29:41 PM »
With JP lip-synching singing the growls.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2019, 01:50:51 AM »
Mislead is a fucking great JLB solo track. Maybe they should play that at the shows as an encore  :lol

I am sure Bosk would rather they play "Misunderstood"  :lol

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2019, 03:16:40 AM »

I am sure Bosk would rather they play "Misunderstood"  :lol

With Haken as supporting act.

Offline creatchy

« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2019, 04:29:14 PM »
I was with two friends at the Dream Theater show last weekend in Oberhausen. I have been (with the same friends) at 4 Dream Theater shows in the past and a vast number of other concerts, some serious names, I am not going to mention here, we have attended in the past 30 years.

I bought our tickets in February this year, just because the Tour was announced to have the full Mt. Pt 2 Set included. The Ticket states: 'Dream Theater - Distance over time Tour  2019'. No mention of support acts or anything like a 'Festival'. Well, it turned out, that the local promoter turned the concert into a 'Festival' with some kind of crappy support acts without letting us know!

We, as loyal fans of Dream Theater, are absolutely shocked and disappointed of a 1,5 hours set, without the promised SOAM. So, that we consider not to go to DT gigs anymore in the future and/or having the tickets booked last minute, as, obviously, changes can happen.

So, to sum up - it was a very, very, very big disappointment for us, that the show only lasted 1,5h AND no SOAM was played. Really, really disappointed...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2019, 05:38:37 PM »
I was with two friends at the Dream Theater show last weekend in Oberhausen. I have been (with the same friends) at 4 Dream Theater shows in the past and a vast number of other concerts, some serious names, I am not going to mention here, we have attended in the past 30 years.

I bought our tickets in February this year, just because the Tour was announced to have the full Mt. Pt 2 Set included. The Ticket states: 'Dream Theater - Distance over time Tour  2019'. No mention of support acts or anything like a 'Festival'. Well, it turned out, that the local promoter turned the concert into a 'Festival' with some kind of crappy support acts without letting us know!

We, as loyal fans of Dream Theater, are absolutely shocked and disappointed of a 1,5 hours set, without the promised SOAM. So, that we consider not to go to DT gigs anymore in the future and/or having the tickets booked last minute, as, obviously, changes can happen.

So, to sum up - it was a very, very, very big disappointment for us, that the show only lasted 1,5h AND no SOAM was played. Really, really disappointed...

I understand your disappointment, but it sounds like the issue was with the promoter, not the band.  I would definitely do a little investigating next time to make sure you are getting what is being promoted, but I wouldn't rule out seeing the band again because of this.  :)

And welcome to the forum!

Offline Nofire

« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2019, 01:52:56 AM »
I understand your disappointment, but it sounds like the issue was with the promoter, not the band.  I would definitely do a little investigating next time to make sure you are getting what is being promoted, but I wouldn't rule out seeing the band again because of this.  :)

And welcome to the forum!

If there was only one or a few promoters that got this wrong, I would agree with you. But with promoters all over Europe making the same mistake, that leads me to believe that there must have been some kind of unintentional miscommunication from the band/management side.

I don't know much about how concert arrangements and promotion works, but how can it not be common praxis for band management to approve of any marketing material made for the concerts? If I would hand over marketing responsibilities to an external supplier, I would sure as heck want to make sure that they are 100% correct in what information they release.

One last thing: Congrats on the Blues winning the cup! Well deserved after years of being a contender :-)
Trapped inside this Octavarium

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2019, 08:24:04 AM »
Thanks!

And after reading more about it, I agree with the rest of what you said.  This mistake was obviously not done on purpose by the band, but it definitely sounds like those they employ to take care of this stuff did not pay attention to the details to make sure all i's were dotted and t's were crossed, so to speak.  Bummer for the fans who bought tickets thinking they were getting something they were not.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2019, 10:05:18 AM »
Moral of the story: No more album anniversary tours :lol

Seriously, I really hope the remaining legs of the D/T tour are focused on the new album + some songs from the rest of the catalog instead of the whole SFAM for set 2. This anniversary thing isn’t working well for them, imo.

Also, DT focusing on D/T and not SFAM on the D/T tour run in Europe, what a shock! (too lazy to use the green font).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2019, 10:11:47 AM »
This anniversary thing isn’t working well for them, imo.

I actually think it's working very well for them, hence why they keep doing it.