Author Topic: identifying opening bands of "non-festival" shows on current European tour  (Read 1980 times)

Offline Setlist Scotty

Hey everyone

I know there's been quite the discussion over DT's shortened show time during the non-festival shows, and all these bands that have been added to the bill, in some cases at the last minute. But I was wondering if those who have attended the non-festival shows can help identify the opening acts at the shows you attended. In looking at the various Facebook pages for each show, it's not always clear as to who has opened for the band, and who has not. So if you have attended one of these shows, can you tell me who opened? Here's what I've gathered so far (which may not be complete and/or correct):

2019/06/10 St. Petersburg, Russia - Reds’Cool and Acid Venom opened

2019/06/11 Moscow, Russia - Puzzlewood and Reds’Cool opened

2019/06/15 Oberhausen, Germany - Reds’Cool, Ghost Iris, Last Temptation and Andy McKee opened

2019/06/17 Belval (Esch-sur-Alzette), Luxembourg - Ghost Iris, Reds’Cool and Andy McKee opened

2019/06/19 Galve, Sweden - Andy McKee, Tesseract, Animals as Leaders and Freak Kitchen opened

2019/06/23 Pratteln, Switzerland - Andy McKee and Jason Richardson/Luke Holland opened

2019/06/25 Ghent, Belgium - VOLA, Andy McKee and Jason Richardson/Luke Holland to open

2019/06/26 Dresden, Germany - VOLA, Andy McKee and Jason Richardson/Luke Holland to open

2019/06/27 Berlin, Germany - Andy McKee, Jason Richardson/Luke Holland and VOLA to open

2019/06/30 Aarhus, Denmark - Animals as Leaders, Jason Richardson/Luke Holland and Theory to open

2019/07/02 Athens, Greece - Animals as Leaders, Minus One and Jason Richardson/Luke Holland to open

2019/07/03 Sofia, Bulgaria - Jason Richardson/Luke Holland, Odd Crew, Stop the Schizo and Alexandra Zerner to open

2019/07/05 Villafranca di Verona, Italy - Tesseract, Haken, Mono, Inglorious, Kingcrow and Levania to open

2019/07/06 Turin, Italy - Jason Richardson/Luke Holland to open

2019/07/09 Valletta, Malta - Jason Richardson/Luke Holland, Mirage, Nomadtson and Ferret! to open

2019/07/10 Taormina, Italy - Jason Richardson/Luke Holland to open

2019/07/16 Bratislava, Slovakia - Tesseract and Persona Grata to open

2019/07/18 Rishon LeZion (Tel Aviv), Israel - Tesseract, Soen, Yossi Sassi and Artland to open

2019/07/20 Mainz, Germany

2019/07/21 Winterbach, Germany - Ghost Iris to open

2019/07/22 Singen, Germany - Mister Misery to open

As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Lethean

Ooh if Kingcrow is really opening in Italy, whoever is going should be sure to catch them. :)

Offline MirrorMask

I'm shooting for the Turin day so I'll miss them. That Turin date is on a saturday and also cheaper, so I'm planning to go there.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Fritzinger

2019/06/26 Dresden, Germany - VOLA, Andy McKee and Jason Richardson/Luke Holland to open

I can only find information about VOLA for that show... Actually I wouldn't mind not having more than one opening act for that concert.
any rock can be made to roll

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
A few of those shows have solid line ups, but others... oof that's a crap "festival"

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
The lineups for both Russian shows are correct.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline nikatapi

Athens lineup is also correct. (Thank god we're at least getting Animals As Leaders)

Offline Peter Mc

A few of those shows have solid line ups, but others... oof that's a crap "festival"

Don’t think these are the festival shows, these are DT headline shows in between the festival appearances.

Offline nikatapi

Don’t think these are the festival shows, these are DT headline shows in between the festival appearances.

Yeah still considered a festival "Dream Fest", hence the limited setlist from DT.

Offline gborland

Remember the days when DT used to have awesome opening bands like Spock's Beard, Porcupine Tree and Symphony X? Those were good times.
Graham Borland

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Well, I think that's the part people are complaining about

Offline nikatapi

Remember the days when DT used to have awesome opening bands like Spock's Beard, Porcupine Tree and Symphony X? Those were good times.

I wouldn't say that Animals As Leaders, Tesseract, VOLA are not awesome. Quite the opposite.

Offline Peter Mc

Well, I think that's the part people are complaining about

You’re right, it is, just that you said these lineups are crap festivals and just pointing out that they are not festivals, just DT headline shows with support acts. I’m sure the actual festivals they are playing are full of more prominent bands, much bigger bands than DT themselves.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Oh yea totally, I wasn't aware if you knew of the "mishap" but I know what you mean.  If you went in thinking this was DT headlining show and you ended up with a festival type of line up, I could understand why you'd be pissed.  Also just knowing the US crowd (myself included) got an awesome full show would make me even more mad. Those real festivals like Hellfest they just played, it's expected and understood to get the short setlist.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
Haken is actually opening for Dream Theater in Italy on the 5th? I knew it would happen one day.