Author Topic: The Official DEATH ANGEL Thread - New Album, HUMANICIDE Out Now!  (Read 664 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Didn't see a thread specifically for Bay Area thrash legends DEATH ANGEL, so I thought I'd start one. Been a huge fan of these guys for a long, long time.

Their new album, Humanicide, came out on June 1, and is just a killer metal album. After their last one, Evil Divide, seemed to me to look for a little more accessibility, they came back full force on Humanicide.

Death Angel is just brutally heavy, but enough melody, and enough mood to really stand out from most thrash acts. Their live shows are incredible. Unlike Megadeth or Metallica, Death Angel's shows are still ridiculous from the stage to the pit. Not sure how they keep that energy level after all these years, but it is insane.

Anyway, Humanicide is kicking my ass. Go buy a copy and let it kick yours. My favorite tracks so far are Immortal Behated, Humanicide, Aggressor, and Revelation Song. But they are all killer.  :metal :metal

The Dream Calls for Blood (2014, I believe) remains my favorite by them.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Official DEATH ANGEL Thread - New Album, HUMANICIDE Out Now!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 02:22:22 PM »
Just gave it a listen last night. It really is excellent musically, but their achilles heel will always be the vocals. They might as well be growls. Just no dynamics whatsoever.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 01:01:06 PM »
I saw them on the Act 3 tour back around '90.  Warm up band for Danzig.  I left halfway thru Danzigs set, really not a fan.  Death Angel was tight AF that show.   Act 3 is an EPIC album for me and landed high on my top 50 list!

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 02:58:12 AM »
Act 3 is one of my favourite albums of all time, probably top ten.

...but, for me, nothing has come close since. It's all a bit one dimensional to these ears, sadly.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 09:23:36 AM »
I enjoy Act 3, but I'm more of a fan of The Ultra Violence, and then the Wolf Trilogy of records, which are the modern ones. A little samey, sure. But thrash bands all generally have some of that.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 11:12:40 AM »
Just gave it a listen last night. It really is excellent musically, but their achilles heel will always be the vocals. They might as well be growls. Just no dynamics whatsoever.

The difference is I can bear these vocals. I won’t listen to it often, but the new album is good. Act 3 is killer.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 11:14:43 PM »
I enjoy Act III, but I'm more of a fan of The Ultra Violence, and then the Wolf Trilogy of records, which are the modern ones. A little samey, sure. But thrash bands all generally have some of that.

I do actually like The Ultra Violence. I think it has a little more light and shade compared to their recent records. So if I were to make a good attempt on one of their recent three, which would you recommend?

Fun fact: I, too, saw Death Angel on the Act III tour at a tiny venue here in the UK. Forbidden opened, followed by Vicious Rumors. Ticket was only a few pounds, great value. I seem to remember Death Angel's set being quite long.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 08:26:48 AM »

I do actually like The Ultra Violence. I think it has a little more light and shade compared to their recent records. So if I were to make a good attempt on one of their recent three, which would you recommend?

The Dream Calls for Blood. Without hesitation. The song Territorial Instinct/Bloodlust is my favorite on that record.

The Wolf Trilogy is actually broken up.

Relentless Retribution (Wolf I)
The Dream Calls for Blood (Wolf II)
Evil Divide
Humanicide (Wolf III)

>>>The trio isn't linked by any concept, but are very similar in style. Evil Divide was them going a little more commercial (for them). Still good, but not as aggressive.

Fun fact: I, too, saw Death Angel on the Act III tour at a tiny venue here in the UK. Forbidden opened, followed by Vicious Rumors. Ticket was only a few pounds, great value. I seem to remember Death Angel's set being quite long.

That's really cool. I saw DA's Xmas show a few years back where they played all of The Dream Calls for Blood in its entirety, all of The Ultra Violence, and a ton of other stuff. Show was almost three hours long. Amazing.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 12:09:57 PM »
DA are one of my "Big Four More". You know, the 5 to 8 after the Big Four. My personal fave album is Frolic in the Park. Not a bad tune, very thrashy and great playing. There's a rumor on social media that Overkill, Testament, Death Angel and Suicidal Tendencies will tour together this summer. Sure hope they do. :metal

I almost saw DA on the Act 3 tour with Clash of the Titans, but they had a bad bus accident and Andy was injured. An unknown (at the time) group called Alice in Chains opened instead.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 06:49:01 PM »
I didn't realize Death Angel were supposed to be part of that tour. We also got Alice In Chains.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol