Author Topic: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. I bless the rains down in Africa [#1]  (Read 70302 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. I bless the rains down in Africa [#1]
« Reply #1225 on: August 07, 2019, 01:16:09 PM »
Some good stuff in the honorable mentions.  I should probably check out The Road of Bones, I think the title track is the best thing I heard from IQ but their music was a little too prog and not enough hard rock for my enjoyment, that song had what I was looking for.  Not sure if the rest of the album lives up to that or not though.  That song was also awesome live  :metal

Offline Ruba

« Reply #1226 on: August 07, 2019, 01:49:16 PM »
Africa rules.

From the honorable mentions, I like what I've heard from Iced Earth. I think Burnt Offerings or The Horror Show could be more of my speed, but I'll keep that record in mind.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1227 on: August 07, 2019, 01:55:16 PM »
I really havent listened to any Iced Earth.  I should though but I'm only starting to really get into Demons and Wizards, so one thing at a time.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1228 on: August 07, 2019, 01:58:30 PM »
If you like D&W's first album I think you'll really like Something Wicked. It's heavy as hell but also varied and paced just right. That album slaps.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1229 on: August 07, 2019, 02:13:35 PM »
If you like D&W's first album I think you'll really like Something Wicked. It's heavy as hell but also varied and paced just right. That album slaps.

Yea I do, and I do like the second (listened to both last night) my initial reaction is that it's just not as good as the first, but I think I'm going to grow to like it plenty once I listen even more.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1230 on: August 07, 2019, 02:34:34 PM »
I'm am not surprised in the least that Toto was your number 1. It is a great album, but it honestly wouldn't make my top 50. Possibly an honorable mention......Stay tuned, I may be doing a top 50 in the near future. I haven't decided if I want to do that or another roulette first.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1231 on: August 07, 2019, 03:31:00 PM »
Thank you for the Rhapsody of Fire list. From this thread I have checked them out, and Stratovarius. Both of whom I've heard but was inspired to do a little bit more of a deep dive in to.

And there’s nothing wrong with that Kilimanjaro lyric. :)

Wait, was that a shot across my bow? I know I pick on this song, or at least the lyrics, all the time. I do like the music, and I remember my parents playing the 45 all the time and it was one of the ones they played that I liked the most. But as a kid the lyrics always confounded me, and to tell the truth, they still do. Is he singing about a girl? The weather? Geography?

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1232 on: August 07, 2019, 03:31:51 PM »
Is he singing about a girl? The weather? Geography?
Yes
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1233 on: August 07, 2019, 03:37:37 PM »
No problem, Chris! No, that wasn't a shot at any individual, it's just I've noticed lots of comments over the years singling out the Kilimanjaro line for various reasons (too wordy, doesn't make sense, doesn't flow etc.). And that's all fine, opinions are opinions, I just disagree ;)

As for what Africa is about, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa_(Toto_song)#Background gives some pretty good info on it. Also, the song "Mushanga" off the album The Seventh One is like a sister song to Africa. Similar chill groove and brassy synths but more subdued; instead of a song about the beauty of Africa, it's a song about a writer meeting an girl while reporting in Africa.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1234 on: August 07, 2019, 07:08:14 PM »
Spanish Steps Of Rome has the same vibe as those 2 songs.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1235 on: August 07, 2019, 07:15:08 PM »
Stratovarius - Episode

I love this record.  I tend to gravitate towards Visions and Destiny usually, but I got Episode in that same period as those two albums and have always loved that classic period of Stratovarius records.  Can't really add much else - it's just a fantastic record, second to Visions for me.

Toto

I've never really been a fan of the band, but I know the hit songs.  That's always been enough for me.  But it's awesome to see such variety in this list.  If I did mine, it would be about 45 metal records and 5 Styx albums.  Maybe some random greatest hits albums thrown in. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1236 on: August 07, 2019, 07:17:32 PM »
K-Lox, outstanding job on your list. The writeups were great and informative.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1237 on: August 07, 2019, 09:05:36 PM »
Is he singing about a girl? The weather? Geography?
Yes

:lol That's what I thought!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1238 on: August 07, 2019, 10:05:30 PM »
 :biggrin: Thanks for the compliments. A lot of time went into this but it was nothing but fun.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1239 on: August 08, 2019, 07:52:07 AM »
I thought that was outstanding.   Really, really good.  I haven't been able to dig in much because of life and Iron Maiden and shit, but that was really good and fun to follow.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1240 on: August 08, 2019, 08:23:50 AM »
Very respectable choice for #1.

Following this thread, and knowing where we were inevitably headed for the end of the line, I had been thinking that I have never been that deep into Toto and have never owned anything of theirs, and probably owe it to myself to pick up a greatest hits disk.  That is usually fine for the level of extremely casual fandom I feel for this band, and just knowing a few of their hits.  But I'm second guessing that now after reading your writeup.  I think a hits package is fine for some bands.  But there are a few where a particular album captures the essence of a band so well that it makes sense to just jump right to that album.  For instance, if someone only knew Journey's hits from the '80s and didn't have any albums and said they wanted to just get one or two, I would probably say, "well, they have a couple of 'greatest hits' packages that are really good.  But honestly, if you want to know what this band was all about during their heyday, just get the Escape album and listen from start to finish.  THEN maybe get a greatest hits disk to round out the hits from other albums."  After reading your description, I think maybe Toto IV fits that description as well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1241 on: August 08, 2019, 08:34:39 AM »
Thank you Stadler! Iron Maiden is an acceptable excuse, but life? Pft. Nerd. :) :)

Very respectable choice for #1.

Following this thread, and knowing where we were inevitably headed for the end of the line, I had been thinking that I have never been that deep into Toto and have never owned anything of theirs, and probably owe it to myself to pick up a greatest hits disk.  That is usually fine for the level of extremely casual fandom I feel for this band, and just knowing a few of their hits.  But I'm second guessing that now after reading your writeup.  I think a hits package is fine for some bands.  But there are a few where a particular album captures the essence of a band so well that it makes sense to just jump right to that album.  For instance, if someone only knew Journey's hits from the '80s and didn't have any albums and said they wanted to just get one or two, I would probably say, "well, they have a couple of 'greatest hits' packages that are really good.  But honestly, if you want to know what this band was all about during their heyday, just get the Escape album and listen from start to finish.  THEN maybe get a greatest hits disk to round out the hits from other albums."  After reading your description, I think maybe Toto IV fits that description as well.

BINGO. You hit the nail on the head. I would love to know what you think if you can carve out 42 minutes to listen to it. (the older I get, the more I appreciate concise records like this - I am so tired of 60, 70, 80 minute records that don't justify their length) My beef with Toto is that the majority of their albums have at least one or two songs I'm not crazy about, or the production isn't all there, or... But Toto IV just ticks every box, it's insane.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1242 on: August 08, 2019, 01:47:40 PM »
Kwyjibo, I gotta know your Toto ranking now  :biggrin:

EDIT: Thought Kwyjibo didn't see Toto in first place. Nevermind  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1243 on: August 08, 2019, 07:07:04 PM »

My Toto rating is Last and Next To Last.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1244 on: August 08, 2019, 08:46:53 PM »

My Toto rating is Last and Next To Last.

As is your attention to detail, not-Kwijibo.   :lol

Also, spinning this album in about 4 minutes.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1245 on: August 08, 2019, 09:38:02 PM »
Chad, awesome. TAC, shut up.  :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1246 on: August 09, 2019, 12:29:24 AM »

EDIT: Thought Kwyjibo didn't see Toto in first place. Nevermind  :lol

As I said, I wouldn't put IV on top, while it's a very good record without any real filler, some of the songs are just okay for me, while other records have more great songs. Like The Seventh One or Kingdom Of Desire.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1247 on: August 09, 2019, 02:49:35 AM »
Guess I better go listen to IV! I don't think I've ever heard a Toto song other than Africa (which I love  :lol ). I tried to add it to my wedding playlist, for the evening, but my wife veeto'd it  :tdwn

I'll check in after a listen

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1248 on: August 09, 2019, 06:01:02 AM »
Toto.........yeah right.  Glad you like them mate.

Seriously though, well done Michael, great list and well done with the way you presented it. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1249 on: August 09, 2019, 06:40:40 AM »
Not my favorite Toto album, that award goes to The Seventh One, but still a good album. This was a weird top 50 overall and I was a little surprised that this was number one. I honestly can't understand how I managed to almost win your roulette  :lol
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1250 on: August 09, 2019, 06:40:54 AM »
I listened to Toto IV yesterday for the first time in my life!!  :biggrin:

I woke up this morning with the fucking earworm of Rosanne on permanent rotation in my fucking head. Arrrrgh!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1251 on: August 09, 2019, 07:28:30 AM »
On a whim I bought a cheap last row ticket to see Toto this fall.  Actually got the same seat I had for DT at this venue last spring.  Since it was super cheap and a Saturday in a month (October) that isn't concert heavy I figured Id check them out.  I plan on listening to them a lot more come closer to the show.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1252 on: August 09, 2019, 07:55:56 AM »
I listened to Toto IV yesterday for the first time in my life!!  :biggrin:

I woke up this morning with the fucking earworm of Rosanne on permanent rotation in my fucking head. Arrrrgh!

Came in here to basically post the exact same thing.  Though, I don't mind the earworm.  That 'barber-shop quartet' vibe in the pre-chorus, followed by the run of the horns ... tasty.

it's a very good record without any real filler, some of the songs are just okay for me,

I came in here to say this too^
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1253 on: August 09, 2019, 08:00:33 AM »
Next to Africa I legit think Rosanna is *the* perfect song. It's just... yeah, perfect. Nuff said.

cram, their live show is NUTS. You like good musicianship so boy are you in for a treat. Their jam sessions and how they expand these songs like Rosanna and Africa are so fun to experience in person.

Thanks for following along and being part of the discussion through this whole thing folks. Music is the best thing in the world :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1254 on: August 09, 2019, 08:05:56 AM »
That sounds awesome

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1255 on: August 09, 2019, 08:22:06 AM »
I agree - you won't regret seeing them live cram.

I couldn't get to see them recently with Jo Williams but did see them on the Falling In Between tour and they were great.  One vivid memory is nothing to do with the music.  It was a very old theatre building (all seated) and people started to stand up/ begin walking up the aisles to the front and security were directing them back to their seats.  Luke came over and yelled at security to "fuck off" and let everyone rock.  :D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1256 on: August 09, 2019, 08:30:14 AM »
I listened to Toto IV yesterday for the first time in my life

I can’t believe that.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1257 on: August 09, 2019, 08:43:06 AM »
I agree - you won't regret seeing them live cram.

I couldn't get to see them recently with Jo Williams but did see them on the Falling In Between tour and they were great.  One vivid memory is nothing to do with the music.  It was a very old theatre building (all seated) and people started to stand up/ begin walking up the aisles to the front and security were directing them back to their seats.  Luke came over and yelled at security to "fuck off" and let everyone rock.  :D

Oh that makes me even more excited.  I love when bands are into the crowd vibe.  I know being in the back, I won't be moving up but this venue I know from my DT experience, there's empty space behind my seat to stand and dance with no one around me so I was hoping for a cool vibe at this show to be able to really enjoy it even in a seated venue.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1258 on: August 09, 2019, 09:01:30 AM »
Watching DT is like watching robots. I love 'em but they're soooo boring to watch on stage. Toto is loose and jams. Luke is awesome for saying that  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1259 on: August 09, 2019, 09:05:44 AM »
Watching DT is like watching robots. I love 'em but they're soooo boring to watch on stage. Toto is loose and jams. Luke is awesome for saying that  :lol

Yea easily the worst part about a DT show is the lack of feel from them on stage.  Also, totally different music.  I definitely love the "loose" type of shows more than the strict following of a checklist of songs.