Author Topic: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. I bless the rains down in Africa [#1]  (Read 67955 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. Where have all the years gone? [#2]
« Reply #1190 on: August 06, 2019, 04:40:54 PM »
Joe Lynn Turner is the vocalist on it and honestly, It's one of my favorite
live albums. Check it out.

All is well! Great new job, 3 novels published. Life is good!

Could you PM me the names of your novels? I remember when your first one came out but I can't remember the name and I struggled with it again just a few weeks ago. That's awesome to hear dude. Congrats!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline emtee

« Reply #1191 on: August 06, 2019, 04:46:24 PM »
Will do. Glad you are well. Oh...I have long hair now too!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1192 on: August 06, 2019, 04:47:06 PM »
Do you have a cape too?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1193 on: August 06, 2019, 05:17:12 PM »
As per usual with Strato I love them a whole lot more when they slow down and turn up the real power and Episode has a couple of my all time faves of theirs (Eternity and Uncertainty) .   Massive guitars as usual and this is about the time I was really big into them ,despite skipping a number of the more generic tracks on most of their albums.   Fourth Dimension was in my Top 50 - one album per band - but this certainly would've been considered.

Good choice  :)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1194 on: August 06, 2019, 07:17:10 PM »
Live in Leningrad is brilliant, as is Episode.

Yes I used to have LiL on VHS, some of it hilarious.
Apparently Jens and Anders used to play all sorts of trick so on Joe, including hiding his wigs.
Weird how the VHS has more songs than the CD and DVD??

Episode, yes great album and one of my faves.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1195 on: August 06, 2019, 07:19:43 PM »
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1196 on: August 06, 2019, 07:30:41 PM »

Apparently Jens and Anders used to play all sorts of trick so on Joe, including hiding his wigs.

Is that where the clip of Jens blowing up the toilet comes from? Literally, for once. Not figuratively.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1197 on: August 06, 2019, 09:50:21 PM »
Yeah probably was, though I read a few interviews with Jens, back in the day, they must have had of fun.
BTW looking forward to your number 1.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1198 on: August 06, 2019, 11:37:53 PM »

Is that where the clip of Jens blowing up the toilet comes from? Literally, for once. Not figuratively.

Wasn't the toilet clip from Stratovarius' Infinite Visions DVD?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1199 on: August 07, 2019, 05:55:51 AM »
Maybe. I haven't watched IV in years. Good stuff though.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1200 on: August 07, 2019, 08:19:34 AM »
Is the world ending or something?  What's with the old school posters coming out of the woodwork?  There's like five or six that haven't posted in MONTHS that all showed up around the same time.

Not a bad thing, to be clear.  Emtee, good to see you (and congratulations!). 

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1201 on: August 07, 2019, 08:38:01 AM »
Emtee!

:panicattack:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Katt's Top 50 Albums v. I bless the rains down in Africa [#1]
« Reply #1202 on: August 07, 2019, 09:21:02 AM »
TOTO
IV
Pop / Rock

released April 8th, 1982 via Columbia

1. Rosanna [5:31]
2. Make Believe [3:43]
3. I Won’t Hold You Back [4:53]
4. Good for You [3:17]
5. It’s a Feeling [3:05]
6. Afraid of Love [3:52]
7. Lovers in the Night [4:25]
8. We Made It [3:56]
9. Waiting for Your Love [4:12]
10. Africa [4:55]

IV is

David Paich (Keyboards / Lead Vocals on 7, 10 / Backing vocals on 1, 2, 5-10)
Steve Lukather (Guitars / Lead vocals on 1, 3, 6 / Backing vocals on 1-4, 6-10)
Bobby Kimball (Lead vocals on 1, 2, 4, 8-10 / Backing vocals on 1, 2, 4, 6-10)
Steve Porcaro (Keyboards / Lead vocals on 5)
David Hungate (Bass)
Jeff Porcaro R.I.P. 1992 (Drums / Percussion)

WITH

Lenny Castro (Congas and percussion on 1, 4, 5, 7, 10)
Ralph Dyck (Synthesizer on 7)
Roger Linn (Synth programming on 4)
Gary Grant (Trumpet on 1)
Jerry Hey (Trumpet on 1)
Tom Scott (Saxophone on 1, 7)
Jon Smith (Saxophone on 2)
Jim Horn (Saxophone on 1, 7 / Recorders on 10)
Marty Paich R.I.P. 1995 (Orchestral arrangements on 3)
James Newton Howard (Orchestral arrangements and conductor on 3, 5-7)
The Martyn Ford Orchestra (Strings on 3, 5-7)
Jimmy Pankow (Trombone on 1)
Joe Porcaro (Percussion on 5, 10 / Xylophone on 6 / Tympani on 7 / Marimba on 10)
Mike Porcaro R.I.P. 2015 (Cello on 3, 8)
Tom Kelly (Backing vocals on 1, 2)
Timothy B. Schmidt (Backing vocals on 3, 4, 10)

If anybody’s read even a fraction of these write-ups, thank you. If anybody’s checked out the linked songs/albums, thank you, even if you didn’t like them. I’m all about sharing the love of music and trying to turn people on to stuff they might not otherwise look at, even if it’s not super obscure or unknown music. So, thanks again for following along and letting me spill my guts out over my favorite music while I take a few ribbings here and there. Now strap in... I have a lot to unpack :)

I was exposed to a lot of different music growing up which probably explains my musical tastes. My sister and I shared a room; pop stars, boy bands and girl groups, a couple rappers and a smidge of country, and whatever was popular on MTV. My dad, 70s and 80s hard rock like GnR, ACDC, Van Halen, and a little bit of Green Day and Nirvana to boot. Myself, video game soundtracks, a bit of classical music (Chopin was one of my first musical loves), and some pop music. And my mom… some of the old crooners, some pop, some of the lighter classic rock like Def Leppard and REO Speedwagon... and Toto.

God bless my mom for introducing me to this band. One year in the mid to late 90s I remember opening a Christmas gift and it was a Tears For Fears album. I had told my mom I liked that ‘red CD’ she played in the car, but couldn’t remember the name. I was too young to actually be disappointed, so I played the album, but it wasn’t what I remembered enjoying, so my mom took me to the store and helped me exchange it for Toto IV. I also got a portable CD player which I thought was just the coolest thing ever, and I stayed in my room and played this record on repeat for hours, every day.

Toto IV effortlessly blends what makes pop and rock music so good and kicks it up a notch, with creative rhythms, dashes of funk, dramatic orchestrations, and a variety of musical influences working to make each song unique. And despite almost every song being a rumination on love and/or heartbreak, each song stands on their own and has a unique flavor that help make this album so musically delicious. Compared to the previous album Turn Back and the album that would follow, Isolation, it is a wonder how this album sounds as good as it does. In my opinion, Toto wouldn’t produce an album with similar high quality production until 1998’s Mindfields.

I adore the vocals on IV. David Paich, Steve Lukather, and Bobby Kimball all have easily identifiable voices and they complement each other well when they trade off. Bobby’s higher register is best used for choruses, such as the timeless “Rosanna” and “Africa,” where Steve Lukather and David Paich, respectively, lead the verses with a huskier, deeper voice. Even Steve Porcaro gets in on the singing action for one song – “It’s A Feeling” is a highlight of the record, subdued vocals paired with a gentle keyboard riff and a steady drum beat. It’s one of the record’s more relaxing numbers for sure. Steve Porcaro’s synth work is awe-inspiring, and David Paich’s piano is bright and sunny and adds so much to songs like “Make Believe” and “Lovers In The Night.”

Shoutout to “Waiting For Your Love” which is the funkiest song on the album; a real groovy rhythm section with some smooth keyboards and tasty synth action always make me think of the music video which shows them playing the song in a club with people dancing everywhere. This song makes me wish I could actually dance.

You can’t talk about Toto IV, of course, without talking about the late, great Jeff Porcaro. The way the album starts is so perfect. Jeff plays his now legendary “Rosanna shuffle” which might be my favorite drum beat ever. Then the piano and guitar come in. I love how gorgeous this sounds, in the key of G, and then halfway through the verses it modulates to F to accommodate Bobby’s singing and amps up the energy, a simple but effective way to keep the song interesting. The singers weave in and out of songs seamlessly; some bands have jarring transitions between multiple vocalists, but not Toto. Not on this record, anyway. Bringing it back to Jeff, his drums are just really satisfying to listen to on every song, especially “Africa.”

Speaking of “Africa,” that song is a national treasure. No exaggeration: greatest song I’ve ever heard. It is musical perfection in 4 minutes and 55 seconds. The adventurous keyboards and how they jump from sound to sound, that sexy rhythm, silky vocals, an incredible harmony in the chorus – all while the electric guitar is barely doing anything. It’s a drum, vocal, and keyboard-centric song that just works on every level. And there’s nothing wrong with that Kilimanjaro lyric. :)

In Summary: I have an obligation to spread the Toto gospel. I still listen to this record on average once a week and have been doing that for as long as I can remember. This is the greatest collection of music Man has ever laid to tape. I still have that CD my mom got me over 20 years ago and the case is beat up but the CD still plays perfectly. I’ve bought this album three times on CD and twice on vinyl and I don’t even own a record player. Toto IV is love, Toto IV is life.

Katt’s Favorites: Rosanna (music video), Make Believe, It’s A Feeling, Afraid of Love, Waiting For Your Love (music video), Africa (music video)

Listen to “IV” by Toto on Spotify

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. I bless the rains down in Africa [#1]
« Reply #1203 on: August 07, 2019, 09:23:43 AM »
this album was never released in kansas

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1204 on: August 07, 2019, 09:28:35 AM »
 :lol

This writeup put my Word document at over 100 pages and 40k words for all the writeups... wow.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1205 on: August 07, 2019, 09:46:18 AM »
God bless my mom

You can say that again.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1206 on: August 07, 2019, 09:53:46 AM »
How many power metal filled Top 50's would end with Toto?  :metal   Stratotovarius ;D

I wouldn't consider myself a massive Toto fanboi but the albums I do like I really like.  Lukather,Porcaro,Paich etc.......amazing band (studio and live) that have never really got the recognition they deserve IMO. 

I will say that , for me , most of their albums have a share of filler but the best stuff is :hefdaddy   I didn't follow them as closely during the Luke years (vox) but got back on board big time with Mindfields , which got an honourable mention in my DTF Top 50.  I could've easily used IV , The Seventh One or Isolation.

Thanks for an entertaining Top 50 Kattelox  :metal   You have finished off with two of my favourite bands, both of which got a mention in my Top 50 .

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1207 on: August 07, 2019, 09:57:35 AM »
I don't know Toto very well, but enjoyed what little I have heard before.  It is kind of funny though how you have so much power metal and it ends with Toto  :lol 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1208 on: August 07, 2019, 10:01:11 AM »
@bl5150, glad to entertain. Also glad we share a love for the same bands that finished this out.  :biggrin: Mindfields might be my second favorite Toto album, it was on the list for a short time before I had to bump it for others... The Luke years aren't my favorite but there are some absolute gems on Kingdom of Desire and Tambu, I think. Tambu especially is underrated, it's very 90s and kind of weird in places but I love a lot of that record.

@cram - I knew it would throw some for a loop, but I also figured it was the most predictable on the list because of my public adoration for Toto and Africa  :lol

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1209 on: August 07, 2019, 10:04:56 AM »
Thanks for all your hard work on this list, Katt. I really enjoyed following along.

As for Toto...what can you say about a band that named themselves after the most annoying dog in cinema history.  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1210 on: August 07, 2019, 10:07:06 AM »
Thanks for all your hard work on this list, Katt. I really enjoyed following along.

As for Toto...what can you say about a band that named themselves after the most annoying dog in cinema history.  :lol
they actually didn't. They named themselves because they wanted to play all styles of music and not be limited to anything (according to Jeff Porcaro anyway)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1211 on: August 07, 2019, 10:13:27 AM »
Any excuse to make a pretty, over-the-top formatted list, I'll run with it.  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1212 on: August 07, 2019, 10:22:18 AM »
Also, thanks for the hard work.  It shows your passion for the music, whether others liked it or not.  You put in a lot of effort not just in your write ups, but non stop defense of your feelings towards the music  :metal :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1213 on: August 07, 2019, 10:42:07 AM »

*backhands* :lol

Though my 2 favorite albums from Toto is Hydra & The Seventh One.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1214 on: August 07, 2019, 10:47:03 AM »

*backhands* :lol

Though my 2 favorite albums from Toto is Hydra & The Seventh One.

TSO is awesome, it's just hamstrung by terrible 80s production and a couple songs that really ape the trends of the times, I think. "You Got Me" is a great song but it makes me think Michael Jackson every time I hear it.

I have Hydra on vinyl. It was originally my mom's, and she gave it to me last year. I treasure that thing. I need to look up to see what pressing it is but I'm pretty sure it's the original print. (EDIT: well apparently it is, since it was only printed in 1979 on vinyl, and again in 2011)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1215 on: August 07, 2019, 10:55:22 AM »
Shock value on this being #1: none

Gotta run to the airport, but I will unpack your unpacking later.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1216 on: August 07, 2019, 11:11:07 AM »
Shock value on this being #1: none

Gotta run to the airport, but I will unpack your unpacking later.

Driving would be faster. :neverusethis:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1217 on: August 07, 2019, 11:16:03 AM »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1218 on: August 07, 2019, 11:45:13 AM »
Katt, can you (or another fan) give me a 10 second ranking of Rhapsody of Fire albums? I have been listening to them a little based on this thread and would like some input. Thanks!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1219 on: August 07, 2019, 12:09:56 PM »
Knew this was coming, you mentioned a few times in other threads that this was your favorite album. Not a bad choice at all, really great album by an even greater band.  I like some other Toto records better but Rosanna (that outro solo/jam that is mostly faded out when the song is played on the radio is just gorgeous) and Africa are probably the best Toto songs.

So anyway, although this list was a little heavy on the power metal side, it was always a great read and some interesting choices.

And I listened to some Rhapsody and while they are still cheesy as fuck there's some good songs also.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1220 on: August 07, 2019, 12:15:10 PM »
Katt, can you (or another fan) give me a 10 second ranking of Rhapsody of Fire albums? I have been listening to them a little based on this thread and would like some input. Thanks!

My absolute pleasure :) separated into groups of similar quality, imo:

1. Legendary Tales [1997]
2. Symphony of Enchanted Lands [1998]
3. Symphony of Enchanted Lands II: The Dark Secret [2004]
4. Dawn of Victory [2000]
5. Power of the Dragonflame [2002]

6. Triumph or Agony [2006]
7. Into the Legend [2016]
8. The Frozen Tears of Angels [2010]

9. Rain of a Thousand Flames [2000]
10. From Chaos To Eternity [2011]

11. Dark Wings of Steel [2013]
12. The Cold Embrace of Fear: A Dark Romantic Symphony [2010] (not a traditional full-length Rhapsody record, but part of the concept nonetheless)
13. The Eighth Mountain [2019]

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1221 on: August 07, 2019, 12:53:26 PM »
25 Honorable Mentions

These were on the initial 'big list' and I had to chop them off.

1.   IQ – The Road of Bones [2014]
2.   Mystery – The World Is A Game [2012]
3.   The Alan Parsons Project – Eye in the Sky [1982]
4.   Nightwish – Dark Passion Play [2007]
5.   Broken Bells – After the Disco [2014]
6.   Cellador – Enter Deception [2006]
7.   Masterplan – Aeronautics [2005]
8.   Cat Stevens – Tea For The Tillerman [1970]
9.   Stratovarius – Nemesis [2013]
10.   God Is An Astronaut – All Is Violent, All Is Bright [2005]
11.   The Devin Townsend Project – Epicloud [2012]
12.   Pink Floyd – The Dark Side of the Moon [1973]
13.   Florence + The Machine – Ceremonials [2011]
14.   Angra – ØMNI [2018]
15.   Rhapsody – Power of the Dragonflame [2002]
16.   Chroma Key – Dead Air For Radios [1998]
17.   Incognito – 100º And Rising [1995]
18.   Toto – Mindfields [1998]
19.   Led Zeppelin – ZoSo [1971]
20.   King Crimson – In the Court of the Crimson King [1969]
21.   Edguy – Hellfire Club [2004]
22.   Edguy – Space Police: Defenders of the Crown [2014]
23.   Helloween – Gambling With The Devil [2007]
24.   Iced Earth – Something Wicked This Way Comes [1998]
25.   Randy Newman – Bad Love [1998]

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1222 on: August 07, 2019, 01:10:20 PM »
I'm glad The Road of Bones made such an impression on you.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1223 on: August 07, 2019, 01:10:44 PM »
Wow... nice to have made the honourable mention list.  :blush

Loved that write up Mike. I heard Rosanna on the radio a week or so ago, and man that song is cool as fuck. As for Africa, I can appreciate your love and passion for it, but you are overrating it all to hell. The meme phase was cute, but saying it's the best music ever laid to tape is like saying Chuck Norris is the greatest martial artist in history.  :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1224 on: August 07, 2019, 01:12:45 PM »
The Road of Bones is insanely good. I can't believe I hadn't heard that before. It's awesome. The sonic landscape of that album is desolate yet beautiful.

Chad, I was jamming out to Africa nonstop in the 90s. Fuck the bandwagoners. I was here first. BEST. SONG. EVER. :biggrin: