Author Topic: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. I bless the rains down in Africa [#1]  (Read 67894 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Halfway through the album, pretty cool music.  I like it.  I'm not too big into instrumental music overall, like I don't think I would have any instrumental albums in my top 50, let alone top 10, but I could totally listen to this a lot just because its good music.  And I feel like you said, the songs are long but don't feel it.  The album just kind of flows and wow, wait? I just listened to 30 minutes of music already?  To me, that's usually a sign of good music when you don't realize the length.  Anyway, this is a cool discovery.  I don't think I had ever heard of this band before nor listened to "Atmospheric Folk-Doom Metal"

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
 :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Nelson got me addicted to this album, and I've got my best friend addicted to this album, and he has got his dad addicted to this album. That's how good it is.

Our Fortress is Burning I and II is one of best songs I know.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Halfway through the album, pretty cool music.  I like it.  I'm not too big into instrumental music overall, like I don't think I would have any instrumental albums in my top 50, let alone top 10, but I could totally listen to this a lot just because its good music.  And I feel like you said, the songs are long but don't feel it.  The album just kind of flows and wow, wait? I just listened to 30 minutes of music already?  To me, that's usually a sign of good music when you don't realize the length.  Anyway, this is a cool discovery.  I don't think I had ever heard of this band before nor listened to "Atmospheric Folk-Doom Metal"

Dude, that's awesome. I can't believe you've never heard of Agalloch before. This album changed my world. It was introduced to me by the same guy who got me into Opeth all those years ago, so I owe him soooo much for all the amazing music he introduced me to. I'm really happy you're enjoying it!!

I am very happy seeing the love for this album. It seems like every time I see this album discussed, more and more people love it.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I can't believe you've never heard of Agalloch before.

I have not either.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

I have not either.

I can believe that more easily.  :lol Just surprising 'cause I've seen a lot of Agalloch love on this place before.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I mean, I've seen thread titles with them mentioned.  But I have long suspected that most of the band threads on this forum are just made up band names that people post just for the fun of it, and always assumed this was just another one, since pretty much nobody has ever heard of these guys.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I think I've seen the name thrown around but thats about it.  Actually reminded me a bit of Winters Gate, not as heavy, but with that guitar playing and how captivating instrumentally it is.  There were some growls there too at the end.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I mean, I've seen thread titles with them mentioned.  But I have long suspected that most of the band threads on this forum are just made up band names that people post just for the fun of it, and always assumed this was just another one, since pretty much nobody has ever heard of these guys.

I think you can blame Parama/Cyril for those. Xanthochroid??  :lol But nobody?? Agalloch's pretty well-known, relatively speaking, in the metal crowd. Big cult following I guess you could say but they're far from unknown. There was a big ol' hullabaloo when John ended the band without consulting the rest of the members.

I think I've seen the name thrown around but thats about it.  Actually reminded me a bit of Winters Gate, not as heavy, but with that guitar playing and how captivating instrumentally it is.  There were some growls there too at the end.

:2metal:

Offline pg1067

Never heard of them either.

I have long suspected that most of the band threads on this forum are just made up band names that people post just for the fun of it, and always assumed this was just another one, since pretty much nobody has ever heard of these guys.

:lol :lol :lol

When I was in high school, a friend and I made up a band called Animosity.  We made up band members and album and song titles, and my friend was an artist, so he drew album covers.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
I didn't really like The Mantle, it felt like bland post-rock coupled with bland black metal, but this one seems more up my alley. Will give it a listen.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I didn't really like The Mantle, it felt like bland post-rock coupled with bland black metal, but this one seems more up my alley. Will give it a listen.

Oooh I hope you like this, I figured you were familiar with Ashes. I also am not that keen on The Mantle (or Pale Folklore, for that matter).

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
The Mantle and Ashes are very different albums and both of them are like 7/10ish for me  :lol

Also, bosk, Agalloch are about as big a name as it gets with folk/black metal, so uhh. Lots of people have heard of them actually.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
If you say so.  I'm not one of the 10 fans of that subgenre, so I wouldn't know.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
If you say so.  I'm not one of the 10 fans of that subgenre, so I wouldn't know.

I was going to say, it's not your kind of music whatsoever. But I'm pretty sure Agalloch was selling out venues on their last tour, so... they're plenty popular. Without exaggeration, almost every single time I see someone online asking for folk/black metal recommendations, Agalloch is mentioned, whether by someone suggesting them, or the OP putting up a disclaimer saying they're already a fan of them. Staple band when it comes to folk metal. I've also seen Agalloch in many roulettes' banned lists.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Joking aside, I actually sampled the album earlier after your post.  Plenty of talent for sure, but not my thing.  Cheers to you for digging them though.  :tup

Offline senecadawg2

My #1 album, on certain days. Love it to death. Such a shame they disbanded too, as they put on incredible shows.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Fast becoming one of my fav bands.  Was sent Falling Snow in my first roulette by Mason (DTVT) and really liked it.  I didn't however click onto them right away but about six months ago I had the urge to listen to it again and now I'm hooked.  I prefer the Mantle but all in all this band is one of the greatest discoveries I've made.  Fucking magical band and music.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

I think you can blame Parama/Cyril for those. Xanthochroid?? 
Hey, Xanthochroid are awesome. :P

I loved Ashes for a while and then went off it. I feel like I should give it another listen.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I think you can blame Parama/Cyril for those. Xanthochroid?? 
Hey, Xanthochroid are awesome. :P

Yea, Xanthochroid are pretty decent  :metal

I only own Ashes and The Mantle by this band. I always preferred The Mantle but it seems like I need to wait for winter to roll around and go for a walk, with my headphones and Ashes, on a cold night.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
In the heart of winter, Ashes is my fireplace.

Offline pg1067

I was going to say, it's not your kind of music whatsoever. But I'm pretty sure Agalloch was selling out venues on their last tour, so... they're plenty popular. Without exaggeration, almost every single time I see someone online asking for folk/black metal recommendations, Agalloch is mentioned, whether by someone suggesting them, or the OP putting up a disclaimer saying they're already a fan of them. Staple band when it comes to folk metal. I've also seen Agalloch in many roulettes' banned lists.

By the way, off the top of my head, I can name maybe one or two black metal bands:  Buzrum (or something like that) and Gorgoroth).  Also, not sure if "Gaahl" is a band or a dude.  I couldn't name a single folk-metal band and barely knew the genre existed (much less "black-folk-metal").  These are not genres that have a significant following in the U.S.

I gave a very quick listen to the first track on the Agalloch album and fast-forwarded to a part with vocals and pretty much immediately turned it off.  Definitely not my thing.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

By the way, off the top of my head, I can name maybe one or two black metal bands:  Buzrum (or something like that) and Gorgoroth).  Also, not sure if "Gaahl" is a band or a dude.  I couldn't name a single folk-metal band and barely knew the genre existed (much less "black-folk-metal").  These are not genres that have a significant following in the U.S.

I gave a very quick listen to the first track on the Agalloch album and fast-forwarded to a part with vocals and pretty much immediately turned it off.  Definitely not my thing.

Bro, I live in rural Illinois. I know all too well the struggle about traditionally European styles of metal not having a strong foothold here.  :lol

I think the average age of this forum is older than I anticipated, truthfully. Most people around my age are familiar with the name Agalloch if not the music just 'cause it's a recognizable band for Internet savvy metalheads. 'sall good.

Also, Gaahl is both. So you're right either way.  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Yeah y'all are just too old for this crap

Offline senecadawg2

Yeah, Agalloch, and bm in general, has an impressive following in the US, and rightly so.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
A few years ago I went down to St. Louis and hung out with some people. It was an entirely black metal-loving community right in the middle of the city. The party was bonfires and extreme metal. There is definitely a bigger following in the States than most think.

Now why I, a power metal dweeb, was there with black metal dorks, is a whole other story entirely.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
You were lucky they didn't use you as a human sacrifice.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline senecadawg2

Sounds like I should to move to St Louis

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
As someone who used to live near St. Louis, don't

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yeah no it's a shithole, stay far away from it

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Yeah no it's a shithole, stay far away from it
Not nearly as much of a shithole as Las Vegas.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Las Vegas is indeed a shithole.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Just reading up on this Agalloch album and listening to some samples. Funny that the singer says this is their worst album ever.

Wasn't digging the vocals I was hearing on Falling Snow. I'm still trying to expand my scream/growl tolerance. I just discovered Ihsahn recently and am loving his so I am slowly getting there.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline gazinwales

A few years ago I went down to St. Louis and hung out with some people. It was an entirely black metal-loving community right in the middle of the city. The party was bonfires and extreme metal. There is definitely a bigger following in the States than most think.

Now why I, a power metal dweeb, was there with black metal dorks, is a whole other story entirely.

Most metal heads can get along, no matter what flavour they favour.
We all seem to have a love of the core that is metal, all the different sub-genre fans seem to be able to get along just fine, in my experiences.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
GUNS N’ ROSES
APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION
Hard Rock

released July 21st, 1987 via Geffen Records

1. Welcome to the Jungle [4:31]
2. It’s So Easy [3:21]
3. Nightrain [4:26]
4. Out Ta Get Me [4:20]
5. Mr. Brownstone [3:46]
6. Paradise City [6:46]
7. My Michelle [3:39]
8. Think About You [3:50]
9. Sweet Child o’ Mine [5:55]
10. You’re Crazy [3:16]
11. Anything Goes [3:25]
12. Rocket Queen [6:13]

APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION is

W. Axl Rose (Lead vocals / Synthesizer on 6 / Percussion)
Slash (Lead, rhythm, acoustic guitars / Slide guitar / Talkbox)
Izzy Stradlin (Lead and rhythm guitars / Backing vocals / Percussion)
Duff McKagan (Bass / Backing vocals)
Steven Adler (Drums / Percussion / Backing vocals)

Doing this top 50 list has helped me regain some clarity on my memories. I was into Eminem before I was ever interested in rock and especially metal music. So, I believe late summer 2002 was when my journey into the kingdom of rock began. I know this now because I remember Halloween 2002 was the first Halloween I didn’t go trick-or-treating. Because why the f*&% would I go begging for candy when I could sit at home and play some awesome rock music I’d never heard before?

Appetite literally changed my life, but it was only one thing in a short period of time that had such an effect. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that 9/11 itself was a fundamental gamechanger in terms of shaping my outlook on the world, because I was 10. Within the next year I'd discover The Eminem Show, which was a political record in its own way and discussed 9/11 and war, and then shortly after that, I'd find GnR. I think 9/11 itself had a lot to do with that, because up until that point in my life, it was all games and innocent fun, music wasn't dangerous or vulgar or offensive in my world, it was mostly video game music and catchy instrumental stuff. But it was this record that turned me from a casual fan of music who just happened to like a Toto and Eminem record and various 90s video game soundtracks, into a full-fledged rock and roll kid. It began to clue me in to the seediness of the world, and the 'adult' side of things. I began growing my hair out after this record, and, fun fact, I have only ever had it cut once in the last 17 years, all thanks to Guns N’ Roses. I began immersing myself in the world of rock, guitars, egotistical and madly talented frontmen, and the solos, my god, the SOLOS! I remember not long after my obsession began, my parents got me the Use Your Illusion concerts on DVD, and I was so young and stupid I tried playing the DVD in my CD player before I realized what was up (they came in CD packages and I did not read the outside due to my excitement). I was SHAKING with excitement when I put that in my then-brand new DVD player and could finally watch the band live. See, I’m young, but this was long before YouTube or even MySpace, and I would spend entire Saturdays downloading archived videos of the band doing interviews and press spots and all that. I probably know more about GnR than I know about my own family history.

This record is tantalizingly dangerous; the energy is raw and palpable and despite the raucous nature of the music, it remains cohesive and well-structured and never goes off the rails. Each song has a specific theme or mood and Axl’s mighty range – not just in pitch, but in style and delivery – gives the record more variety than your average hard rock album. When I was a stupid kid I literally thought there were multiple vocalists on this record. “Welcome to the Jungle,” “It’s So Easy,” “Mr. Brownstone” are just a few examples of Axl’s versatility. He sounds different on almost every song, and changes his style and delivery a few times in multiple songs. My favorite rock frontman of all time. Very controversial both in his personal and professional life, but I think he is an intelligent, fascinating individual who is (or at the very least was) an incredibly gifted musician and songwriter.

All that said I think I like the stripped down version of “You’re Crazy” on GnR Lies more than the original version on Appetite. The speediness is nice and so are Axl’s banshee vocals, but the acoustic version has more swagger and is an easier listen.

In Summary: I’m sure we all know this record, and Guns N’ Roses ain’t for everyone, but this record – this band – shaped more than just my musical taste. I’m certain I would be an entirely different person, perhaps not even interested in music, if it wasn’t for Appetite for Destruction. In a way, it should probably be #1 or at least #2 – but in terms of sheer influence, I think the #1 spot is the only record that can go toe-to-toe with this one. Axl’s attitude, look, voice, and songwriting has been a monumental influence in my life and I deeply respect him despite all the controversy surrounding him. Appetite has some of the best riffs and rock vocals ever recorded… Take that one to heart. :2metal:

Katt’s Favorites: Welcome to the Jungle (music video), Nightrain (Live in Tokyo), Out Ta Get Me (Live at the Ritz ’88), Paradise City (music video), My Michelle, Rocket Queen

Listen to “Appetite for Destruction” by Guns N’ Roses on Spotify
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 07:53:05 AM by Kattelox »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Now this is an album I can wrap my ears around.  I think it finished in the 30s for my Top-50, but it's a gem regardless.  5*s, and no real duds that stand out as skippable tracks.  I'd probably stack rank Out ta Get Me and You're Crazy towards the bottom, but by no means are they not good... just the least best tunes.  The opening riff of Anything Goes is kinda bleh.  Paradise City is a Top 10 song from the 80s in my books.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion