Author Topic: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. I bless the rains down in Africa [#1]  (Read 67998 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
DRAGONFORCE
SONIC FIRESTORM
Power Metal

released April 19th, 2004 via Noise Records

1. My Spirit Will Go On [7:54]
2. Fury of the Storm [6:46]
3. Fields of Despair [5:25]
4. Dawn Over A New World [5:13]
5. Above the Winter Moonlight [7:31]
6. Soldiers of the Wasteland [9:45]
7. Prepare For War [6:15]
8. Once in a Lifetime [7:46]
9. Cry of the Brave [5:46]*

*Japanese bonus track

SONIC FIRESTORM is

ZP Theart (Vocals)
Vadim Pruzhanov (Keyboards / Piano / Acoustic guitars)
Herman Li (Guitars / Backing vocals)
Sam Totman (Guitars / Backing vocals)
Adrian Lambert (Bass)
Dave Mackintosh (Drums)

*not pictured: Adrian Lambert, who left after the album’s recording but before release. Only two of these studs are still in this band. Two! Crazy. At least there's no French bassist in this photo. HOORAY! But there's no ZP or Vadim or Dave anymore. BOO! Screw you, Fred.

WITH

Clive Nolan (Backing vocals)

Non-fans of Dragonforce may skip this one. So, I’ll see all of you except twosuitsluke at #7, which I guarantee will have a lot of fans. But I’ve been waiting weeks to talk about this one, damn it. 

I really can’t articulate what this album means to me. A part of me thinks it should be higher than #8, but I don’t think I can justify it with what’s to come. Still, this is one of the most important albums in my life. I dunno, man, you either ‘get it’ or you don’t, and this record changed my life, literally. I heard it when I was just getting into metal and the heaviest and fastest music I knew was 80s Metallica, Iron Maiden, and a small handful of Blind Guardian and Stratovarius tunes.

ZP Theart’s voice is one of my favorites in all of rock and metal, and there’s just something about it that every other power metal singer lacks. Maybe that’s because ZP’s wheelhouse is 80s rock, and ZP likes to smoke and drink, which doesn’t lend itself to a good power metal voice unless you’re Fabio Lione, apparently. ZP’s got a thick raspy/husky quality to his voice which gives a bit of ‘oomph’ to Dragonforce. The production on this album in particular favors ZP’s voice because the midrange melodies in the verse give some bite and aggression to the vocal parts, which is necessary to contrast with the saccharine melodies and bright nature of every chorus and choir part on this record. Maybe he wasn’t a great live singer, but he added an element to early Dragonforce that made them very special to me, and it’s been lost for about a decade now…

Sam and Herman have a spectacular chemistry as the two lead guitarists, having dueling guitar solos with one another while on-and-off again having harmonized “twin blast” solos. With the furious, 170-200 BPM riffing and double bass drumming, there is a concentrated energy to each of these songs that creates such an epic, fantastic atmosphere I’ve never gotten sick of.

Vadim Pruzhanov’s keyboard playing was very important to my development as a keyboardist and what I look for in power metal keyboards. Nobody plays like him, no one. He’s no Rick Wakeman, but Rick Wakeman is no Vadim Pruzhanov. You catch my drift? He added such a zesty flavor to Dragonforce’s music and it’s a damn shame he went into more electronic territory after this record. Sonic Firestorm has the perfect balance of ominous pads, synth strings, synth leads, and piano. “Above the Winter Moonlight” has some of my favorite power metal keyboard playing: the gorgeous melody leading the song from the synth lead, the piano in the bridges and breakdown, and a triumphant epic string melody that closes out the song. That song also has some of Dragonforce’s best solos.

Oh yeah, the solos. Dragonforce’s solos kind of went off the rails on later albums, but when they were in the pocket on the first 3 records, boy did they knock it out of the park. The solos aren’t just solos, they’re songs in themselves, bouncing back and forth between the aforementioned “twin blast” harmonized solos and individual solos, each with their own ebb and flow, seamlessly moving between shreddy passages and emotional, melodic cadences. And then the song always comes back home, generally with a “whoa-oh” transition that most people make fun of (because despite its effective nature, it is very predictable for Dragonforce to do this), or leading right back into the chorus.

Lyrics… well, okay, again, it either bothers you or it doesn’t. Lyrics are not what Dragonforce is about, but even on this album, they at least put a little thought into making some coherent imagery. Each of these songs describes some kind of epic event. Later on they try to sing about real things but they don’t change the lyricism much and it somehow manages to be even cornier than songs like, say, “Soldiers of the Wasteland,” which are corny as hell in how epic they try to be, but it’s so much more fitting for the music than later lyrical themes of relationships and society etc.:

Crossing battles savage seas towards the mountains high
Forest plains of wilderness we're striking out tonight
On towards our destiny we travel far and wide
Journey through the darkness as your hearts refuse to die

In the flames of hell we fire at will the fires of doom has come
With the forces of the blackest knights they're staring at the sun
Far across the distant plains of ice we're searching for the sword
When the time has come for battle now we follow with the horde

In Summary: Cheesy? Yes. Obnoxiously extreme in every way? Pretty much. Does it kick ass? Damn right it does. Again, you either get it or you don’t. Dragonforce is not for everyone, especially old Dragonforce like this. But this was when they were at their best, just before Fred joined the band and Herman and Sam gave up on trying. Modern Dragonforce is a shadow of its once glorious self. I miss the Sonic Firestorm days so much. I miss these long, intricate solos with melodic momentum and glorious cadences transitioning back into some thicc, husky vocal harmonies singing about wild fantasy nonsense. GIVE ME BACK MY FUN DRAGONFORCE, FRED!

Katt’s Favorites: My Spirit Will Go On, Above the Winter Moonlight, Soldiers of the Wasteland, Once in a Lifetime, Cry of the Brave

Listen to “Sonic Firestorm” by Dragonforce on Spotify
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 02:09:23 PM by Kattelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't remember anything about this one but I think I own it.  I'll have to find it and have a listen.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline pg1067

DRAGONFORCE
SONIC FIRESTORM

Sometimes I really have to wonder what some bands are thinking when they select photos.  If this is the photo they thought was good, what did the photos they rejected look like?!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Do you mean the album art or the band photo? I'm quite partial of this band shot which was laid onto the back of the Sonic Firestorm shirt:

But I also loooove the album art... it's my favorite DF album cover.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline pg1067

Do you mean the album art or the band photo? I'm quite partial of this band shot which was laid onto the back of the Sonic Firestorm shirt:

But I also loooove the album art... it's my favorite DF album cover.

I was referring to the band photo.  The album cover is pretty cool.  The second band photo is cool because it appears they're just screwing around.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
I won't deny that Sonic Firestorm is a good album, even great at times, but Reaching Into Infinity is still their best, by a country mile. Sorry, not sorry  :-\
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I found the cd and put it in the car on the way to work this morning.  I must say, only three songs in but have never enjoyed this like I did this morning.  First two songs are absolute rippers.  Great melodies and I like the extended solos.  They are not too out there IMO and these guys can play.  I'm not the biggest fan of ZP's voice, but I have no issue with it either.  They rhythm guitars are something I never truly appreciated either, I know live in the past this band has been a bit dodgy, but on here everything is fucking nice and tight.  Hoping the rest of the album lives up to the first three songs.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I heard the dog answers to Firewings.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Of course he has a dog. Of course he does. Why would he have the superior domestic household companion?  :facepalm:

Puppies, F. Kade, A. :neverusethis:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Afterwards I'll go back to Valley also.  Have that one on cd too.  :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I don't remember anything about this one but I think I own it.  I'll have to find it and have a listen.

I'm listening now.

I own every Dragonforce CD, except apparently the first one. I've heard them all, but like Deris Era Helloween nothing has really stuck. I don't NOT like them.

Maybe after my Deep Dive of Deris Era Helloween, I'll do one of Dragonforce.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
DREAM THEATER
SIX DEGREES OF INNER TURBULENCE
Progressive Rock / Progressive Metal

released January 12th, 2002 via Elektra Records

DISC 1

1. The Glass Prison [13:52]
2. Blind Faith [10:22]
3. Misunderstood [9:32]
4. The Great Debate [13:46]
5. Disappear [6:46]

DISC 2: SIX DEGREES OF INNER TURBULENCE

I. Overture (instrumental) [6:50]
II. About to Crash [5:51]
III. War Inside My Head [2:08]
IV. The Test That Stumped Them All [5:03]
V. Goodnight Kiss [6:18]
VI. Solitary Shell [5:48]
VII. About to Crash (Reprise) [4:04]
VIII. Losing Time / Grand Finale [6:00]

SIX DEGREES OF INNER TURBULENCE is

Mike Portnoy (Drums / Additional vocals)
John Myung (Bass)
Kevin James LaBrie (Lead vocals)
John Petrucci (Guitars / Backing vocals)
Jordan Rudess (Keyboards)

WITH

Howard Portnoy R.I.P. 2009 (Gong drum on “The Great Debate” outro)

I have this album’s cover art enhanced, blown up, and hanging on my dining room wall.

I don’t need to say too much about this one, do I? There’s no need to cover the minutiae of the songs, the backstory of the album, all that jazz, I know it, you know it, there’s a Wikipedia entry that could say a lot more than I ever could. But why does this rank so high for me?

I think Scenes From A Memory is far from Dream Theater’s magnum opus and is actually one of the most overrated prog metal albums out there. That’s just my opinion, and I know I’m in the minority. Where Scenes’ instrumental sections tend to meander and focus more on showcasing technical wizardry, I believe Six Degrees frames them more as musical conversations – songs have a mature structure even in the solos, and the transitions between sections are, mostly, fluid and organic. Where Scenes was fueled by pressure and tension under the threat of the band calling it quits if they didn’t stick their next landing, Six Degrees sounds more confident and collected to my ears, more enthralled with putting on a theatrical musical experience with broad concepts rather than playing up a heady concept with dazzling shred and insanely complex time changes.

Something that I don’t truly think ever reappeared in a Dream Theater album until The Astonishing is the feel-good rocker at a breezy pace. “About to Crash” is such a perfect song, and Dream Theater’s never quite done anything like it since – “Our New World” gets close, but it’s not the same. I need more of that playful piano intro and that cool groove in the verses and bridge. Or the amazing interplay of (Spanish?) guitar and piano in “Solitary Shell” which is a top 10 Dream Theater moment for me. Or the transition between “Goodnight Kiss” and “Solitary Shell” which also contains a top 3 John Petrucci solo. It’s just phenomenal. I especially like how Mike Portnoy lays down a basic four-on-the-floor kick drum beat for the whole thing to mimic a heartbeat. Brilliant stuff and it’s a section I always pull up to show people what amazing musicians these guys are if they aren’t familiar.

I think the first disc is quite good. One song in particular doesn’t get the respect I feel it deserves. “The Great Debate” is often overlooked (but I’m so happy there’s live footage of it on Score), but I really like it. Unlike more recent Dream Theater songs I think this one references modern, topical subjects in a good way, not being too blunt but not being too sappy with overly poetic lyrics. That’s just me; I quite like the way the song frames two opposing viewpoints and ultimately takes no stance itself. I don’t like preachiness, so this song works very well for me.

In Summary: I didn’t mean to write that much… Anyway, each member of the band is at their best on this one. Tip top form, intelligent and emotional songwriting, technical but not so overbearing that it sounds mechanical or lifeless. Lovely instrumentation, Jordan really flexing his incredible musical gift just in the “Overture” track of disc 2 alone. I understand this not being a favorite album for Dream Theater fans, but I simply do not understand the few people I’ve seen say this album sucks. I know a wonderful shrink…

Also, “About to Crash (reprise)” has possibly my favorite Petrucci guitar tone. That opening riff is everything.

Katt’s Favorites: The Glass Prison, Disappear, About to Crash, Goodnight Kiss, Solitary Shell, About to Crash (reprise)

Listen to “Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence” by Dream Theater on Spotify

Offline Ruba

I love the first disc, every single song on it is great. Sadly, I'm not fan of the title track. Without it SDOIT would be up there among the best DT records (and probably have a different title).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
I love this record.  Images and Words is my favorite, but this battles for number two with SFAM and Octavarium.   That was the DT sweet spot if you're asking me.  They've been chasing that dragon ever since.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
I love the first disc, every single song on it is great. Sadly, I'm not fan of the title track. Without it SDOIT would be up there among the best DT records (and probably have a different title).
ruba how do we agree 100% on this one thing

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

I feel the same, I don't hate the title track, there's lots of good tracks (both About to Crashes, Solitary Shell) there but it's kind of uninteresting as a whole for me specifically the overture and last track are fairly boring IMO.  Kind of brings the album down a bit.  Disc 1 is where it's at, specifically the first two songs are two of DT's best IMO.  But I'm glad to see music that I really in the top 10.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
So, I was super happy to see an album I like so much so high in your list after all those other ones that I really don't even know. And then you go and trash SFAM. Why you have to be like that man?

Having said that, I agree with your assessment on how good some of those songs are as well as how overlooked TGD is. This is my second favorite DT album and it does have my first song of them so I think this is a great pick for #6.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
This album has aged really well.  I've appreciated it more and more as years go by.

Offline senecadawg2

This album has aged really well.  I've appreciated it more and more as years go by.

Yeah, this exactly. At the peak of my interest in DT, I think SFAM, I&W, Awake and even ToT all got a lot more listens in my corner, but SDOIT has outperformed all of them since.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
So, I was super happy to see an album I like so much so high in your list after all those other ones that I really don't even know. And then you go and trash SFAM. Why you have to be like that man?

It's not my fault everyone else is deluded and thinks SFAM is amazing.  ;)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Six Degrees is absolutely my favorite Dream Theater album and is in my top 5 albums by anyone (it can be anywhere from 1 to 5, depending on my mood).  It's just about as close as you can get to musical perfection. 

The Glass Prison was an immediate standout.  The ONLY "down side" to the song is that the end of the instrumental before James comes in on the last movement of the song just feels like it gets too repetitive and overstays its welcome by maybe 30-45 second.  Typically, on long instrumental passages that sound somewhat repetitive, DT provide very subtle and clever things that evolve the riff, melody, or pattern.  If they are doing that here, I have somehow missed it.  But this is a very minor point in an otherwise stellar song.

Blind Faith has some incredible instrumentation.  But the lyrics are a "miss" for me.

Misunderstood is a top DT song.  So simple sounding, yet so much going on.  And so much atmosphere.

Glad to see some love for The Great Debate.  I also happen to love it.

Disappear took me a little while to "get."  Such an incredibly emotional song.  I cannot sing it without getting choked up.

Six Degrees.  What an incredible monster epic.  Yeah, there are some parts that drag.  But in a piece of such massive scope, that is completely forgivable.  Overall, this is a fantastic song.  The lyrical twist and finale at the end ties it up so nicely and makes it so much more relevant and meaningful.

Something that I don’t truly think ever reappeared in a Dream Theater album until The Astonishing...

Another really cool thing these two albums have in common perhaps more than any other DT albums is how the band got excited and motivated about a particular musical direction and just ran with it.  For this one, the plan was originally to go in more of a "world music" direction.  Then after JP and MP went to that concert (was it Pantera?  I forget), a new direction took form and they totally ran with it.  For The Astonishing, obviously the direction didn't change nearly as drastically.  But still, you had the main composers excited about a particular experimental direction and totally running with it.  I love that.

Back to my personal top 5, here's an interesting note:  They ALL share MP on drums.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline romdrums

Katt, I agree with everything you said, especially your thoughts on SFAM.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Katt, I agree with everything you said, especially your thoughts on SFAM.

I'll drink to that. Great minds.  :tup

bosk, great notes on the album. I love some of those chunky riffs on The Glass Prison, and I really appreciate how heavy they are without being oppressively thick like on later records. Also took a while for disc 1 to click with me, especially because it wasn't as immediately satisfying as disc 2, but wow, so much goodness. Disappear makes me choke up as well. It is very hard to sing along to that one, or even listen to it. James's delivery even as the rest of the band gets louder is just...  :hefdaddy

Oh um... also... what is Jordan's hair even doing in that band photo?  :lol Rarely am I glad musicians cut their hair in the long run but Jordan never pulled it off well imo.

Offline pg1067

SDOIT is a top 3 DT album, along with I&W and SFAM.

This album came out a month after I was admitted to practice law.  I had a 30 mile commute to and from work, so I spent a lot of time listening to it and, for some reason, I always remember driving over the Vincent Thomas Bridge (and the other bridge that I don't know the name of) that connects San Pedro to downtown Long Beach.  My son was born a few months later, so I have some association between him as a baby and this album.  Because of where I was in life, I unfortunately missed this tour, so I'm probably one of the few hoping that the album will get some anniversary treatment on the next DT tour.

Anyway, I freakin' love the title track, and I originally did not think much of disc one, so most of my time was spent listening to disc two.  The title track is epic in ever sense of that word.

I didn't get into any of the songs on disc one until 5-6 years later.  I was watching a Dream Theater misheard lyrics video on YouTube, and there was a part that featured the bridge from Blind Faith (the "and still life pushes on" section), and I thought, "hey, that's pretty cool; what song is that?"  I went back and listened to Blind Faith and absolutely fell in love with it.  I was in the front row when DT played BF on the Systematic Chaos tour and absolutely went apeshit over it.  I grew more fond of TGP when I learned that the intro was done on the bass and also started to like Misunderstood a lot.  However, TGD and Disappear remain two of DT's worst songs.  The former, in particular, is a hot mess that is probably in the bottom 10 of the catalog.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
I'll throw my hat in to the "Six Degrees is my favorite DT album" ring.

This was my introduction to Dream Theater back in 2002. I had a teacher in High School that loved Dream Theater and was telling me if I loved Rush I would love Dream Theater. So I went out and bought this, since it was their newest album at the time. Fantastic album.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Just here to chime in about Sonic Firestorm!

So I once posted this in the 'power metal' thread:

My introduction to Power Metal was a free CD given away with Metal Hammer Magazine UK back in about 2005 (great bloody year for music that one). It was called Battle Metal II: Kiss My Axe and the track list was pretty incredible and introduced me to bands that I still consider to be my favourite Power Metal bands. The track list was as follows:

1 –Venom Intro Tape 83/84 1:42
2 –Hammerfall Blood Bound 3:49
3 –Sonata Arctica Wildfire 4:38
4 –Dragonforce Fields Of Despair 5:24
5 –Korpiklaani Hunting Song 3:01
6 –Venom Welcome To Hell 2:41
7 –Demons And Wizards* Terror Train 4:47
8 –Turisas Battle Metal 4:23
9 –Saxon Beyond The Grave 4:55
10 –Conquest Of Steel Only The Devil Can Stop Us Now 4:00
11 –Accept Fast As A Shark 3:50
12 –Battlelore Troll Shaws 4:05
13 –Kamelot March Of Mephisto 5:30
14 –Primal Fear Metal Is Forever 4:47
15 –Fear My Thoughts Sweetest Hell 3:49
16 –Freedom Call Mother Earth 4:33
17 –Mob Rules Metal Is Forever 5:43
18 –Machine Men Back From The Days 3:25

Granted, not all the bands listed here are actually Power Metal bands but the compilation is solid as hell. It wasn't my first introduction to Venom as my obsession with Metallica had helped me discover them as an influence. But it was my first exposure to Dragonforce, Sonata Arctica, Hammerfall, Turisas, Saxon, Accept and Primal Fear. Anyone else ever have this back then?

As mentioned, this my first exposure to DragonForce. It was mid 2005 and I remember it vividly. I was like you Katt in that it was the solos that really blew me away! I'd not heard metal like this and Fields of Despair became an obsession. A short while later Metal Hammer released a DVD, with one of the magazines, with live performances of certain bands. It had a live version of My Spirit Will Go On. Although this didn't have the same impact Fields of Despair had, it was enough for me to know I needed this band in my life!

I have a crystal  clear memory of buying this album. It was the day that my girlfriend at the time ended our relationship because she knew I had feelings for a girl I'd been crazy over for years. Anyway, it was a Friday and we'd gone shopping after work. I picked up Sonic Firestorm and then she ended things when we got back to mine. Although I was kind if happy to be free it was still kinda sad as I didn't want to hurt her. I remember her leaving and me sticking this album on repeat and having a few drinks.

I suppose none of this is relevant to the album but I have strong memories of my first listens and how this album impacted my tastes. I used to rave about DragonForce but none of my friends really gave a shit. Of course, a few years later we were all playing Guitar Hero compulsively and they finally got on board when they heard Through the Fire and Flames!!

This album really has it all and every song is a 5* song in my book. If I'd heard every other DragonForce album, bar this one, I don't think I'd even be able to call myself a fan. Each of their albums has a select few songs I like and a fair bit of filler. Not Sonic Firestorm though, it's just perfect from start to finish and those solos  :hefdaddy  I have been known to walk around air guitaring (with my headphones on) and the solo to Fury of the Storm may be the most perfect song ever for that! I'm not sure I can think of many better examples of a blistering guitar solo!

Katt, I truly love this masterpiece and I'm so glad it ranks so high  :heart

Offline pg1067

This was my introduction to Dream Theater back in 2002. I had a teacher in High School that loved Dream Theater and was telling me if I loved Rush I would love Dream Theater.

Teacher of the year!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
This album came out a month after I was admitted to practice law.  I had a 30 mile commute to and from work, so I spent a lot of time listening to it and, for some reason, I always remember driving over the Vincent Thomas Bridge (and the other bridge that I don't know the name of) that connects San Pedro to downtown Long Beach.  My son was born a few months later, so I have some association between him as a baby and this album.

Wow, this is VERY similar to me (I was admitted in 2001, but still), and I listened to it a LOT on my 30-45 minute commute in N. Cal.  AND my son was born the following year.  AND I also missed the tour, despite this being my favorite album of theirs.  WE COULD ALMOST BE TWINS!

However, TGD and Disappear remain two of DT's worst songs.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd, if we were, I would promptly disown you.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

Wow, this is VERY similar to me (I was admitted in 2001, but still), and I listened to it a LOT on my 30-45 minute commute in N. Cal.  AND my son was born the following year.  AND I also missed the tour, despite this being my favorite album of theirs.  WE COULD ALMOST BE TWINS!

As was I...December 4 to be precise.  SDOIT came out in January 2002, and my son was born in May.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Maybe not for vocal gymnastics, but in terms of what it delivers for me, "Misunderstood" is one of my top five James performances.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Six Degrees...

First of all, this easily the best cover artwork in their catalog.

I remember busting this out and listening to TGP. I was so blown away, I played it a second time before resuming the rest of the album.
Sadly, TGP has not held up for me, and I consider it one of their, if not the number one worst aging song.

The rest of Disc one is amazing. TGD can be challenging to get through if I'm not in the mood, but there is some fantastic stuff all the way through it.
I consider Disappear at Top 15 DT track.

Now Disc 2. I suppose it's enjoyable enough, but frankly, I consider it a HUGE waste of time. There is not one thing that is even remotely mindblowing. The Overture? I mean some people have the gall to call The Astonishing Disney music??

Look, I like Solitary Shell and the solo in Goodnight Kiss is great, but other than that, I'm not sure what this song/disc has to offer.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Someone punch TAC in the balls the next time you see him. For me. I have so much I want to say to all that! :lol

Luke is the guy I want standing next to me during a Dragonforce concert. Hell yeah dude. Every song on Sonic Firestorm is a treasure, each solo a winner, 5 stars all around to each track especially Cry of the Brave which is a stellar bonus track. I'm gonna go play it right now actually. :2metal: I'd have Sonic Firestorm higher but all of the top 10 are so darn influential to me that it's stiff competition.

Great to see so much love for Six Degrees. Awesome story pg, but Disappear one of the worst DT songs? I'm shook.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
great, great album.

Sorry but I'm with pg on Disappear.  If there is one song I've skipped more than any other from DT it is that one.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Just wanted say something on the Dragonforce before we move on, but that 80's breadown instrumental section in Prepare for War I think it is is fucking out of this world!

Offline gazinwales

Sonic Firestorm - has at least 3 different back covers, the one posted here, the cardboard sleeve promo and Japan retail all differ slightly.
ZP live, saw them a few times, he never was noticeably below album standard.
Besides when you go to see DF in concert I think most of us are primary going to see Herman and Sam run around onstage shredding and having fun.