Author Topic: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. I bless the rains down in Africa [#1]  (Read 66811 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I urge you to please listen to Disciples of Babylon

Awesome tune! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Katt's Top 50 Albums v. While moonlight meets the manor's walls [#10]
« Reply #981 on: July 22, 2019, 09:20:41 AM »
RHAPSODY
LEGENDARY TALES
Symphonic Power Metal

released October 27th, 1997 via LMP

1. Ira Tenax [1:13]
2. Warrior of Ice [5:58]
3. Rage of the Winter [6:09]
4. Forest of Unicorns [3:26]
5. Flames of Revenge [5:33]
6. Virgin Skies (instrumental) [1:22]
7. Land of Immortals [4:50]
8. Echoes of Tragedy [3:35]
9. Lord of the Thunder [5:33]
10. Legendary Tales [7:51]

LEGENDARY TALES is

Fabio Lione (Lead and backing vocals)
Luca Turilli (Guitars / Choir)
Alex Staropoli (Keyboards / Choir)
Daniele Carbonera (Drums)

WITH

Manuel Staropoli (Baroque recorder)
Sascha Paeth (Bass / Mandolin / Acoustic guitars)
Anne Schnyder (Lead violin)
Helia Davis (Violin)
Oliver Kopf (Biolion)
Paul F. Boehnke (Cello)
André Neygenfind (Contrabass)
Robert Hunecke-Rizzo (Bass / Choir)
Ricky Rizzo (Choir)
Michael ‘Miro’ Rodenberg (Choir)
Wolfgang Herbst (Choir)
Tatiana Bloch (Choir)
Cinzia Rizzo (Backing vocals and choir)
Thomas Rettke (Backing vocals and choir)

Legendary Tales is Rhapsody’s debut album and a landmark album for power metal. This is a bonafide pioneer in the symphonic metal game, one of the first albums of its kind, coming out before Nightwish, before Blind Guardian started spending 4-5 years per album writing orchestral fluff, before Epica… “Oh god, he’s going off again, isn’t he?”

Ahem. Reasons I like this album!

1. Tracklisting – Basically every word in the tracklist is a keyword for fantasy, every title is epic. Yeah almost all of them are [blank] of [blank] but it works!

2. Unique choir sound. No other Rhapsody album sounds like the warm, vibrant choirs on this record, and in fact although the quality has improved over the last ten years, it sounds sterile and lifeless in that way most professional choirs do, which is ironic, because the more professional a choir sounds, the better they are, right? I don’t know. The latest Luca records have this extremely slick epic Latin choir element, but again… the warmth of the choirs on Legendary Tales resonate with me. Bigly.

3. Epic. Power. Metal. Soaring choruses. Big motifs. Even in songs like Flames of Revenge that have orchestral breaks, they feel like a part of the song, the energy and momentum of the song isn’t completely dashed and there isn’t a huge tonal shift between sections. In his later career Luca tends to lose the plot of what makes a song great in the first place – he will move to a completely unfitting B section (“One Ring To Rule Them All” for example) or he’ll just kill the fucking song in favor of putting in some narration to draw out an already overlong song (“Of Michael the Archangel and Lucifer’s Fall” – both parts). Also, unlike this writeup, which is already rambling.

4. I have a weakness for fantasy and music that complements epic fantasy (no shit, right?). When I was a kid I would do most of my music listening while playing video games, and my favorite video games were epic RPGs, fantasy stories full of fighting monsters and saving the world. And I also love classical music and heavy metal and keyboards. Legendary Tales – and by extension Rhapsody’s whole discography – really blends all of that into one high quality piece of art.

5. Look at that art. LOOK AT IT! HOW EPIC IS THAT?! I have a poster of that on my living room wall along with 3 other Rhapsody flags.

In Summary: I recall entire summers spent listening to Rhapsody, Dream Theater, Dragonforce, etc. obsessively. Rhapsody reminds me of good times in my life, embodies my love for fantasy and music, and that’s why Legendary Tales is my favorite of theirs and one of my favorite albums of all time. I don’t find this music cheesy, because Luca Turilli put authenticity and passion into both the concept and the music. Luca might be hating on his early works nowadays, but I think this is far less corny than his current obsession with Deepak Chopra. At least back in the day Luca didn’t believe he was a real medieval warrior making friends with dragons and dwarves. Now he’s all about believing he’s a quantum waveform born of nuclear stellar fire and that he saw the revealing math of god through celestial geometry. I want what he’s smoking, because I haven’t been that high in a hot minute.

Katt’s Favorites: Rage of the Winter, Flames of Revenge, Echoes of Tragedy, Lord of the Thunder, Legendary Tales

Rage of the Winter, Flames of Revenge, Echoes of Tragedy, Lord of the Thunder, Legendary Tales

Listen to “Legendary Tales” by Rhapsody on Spotify
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline pg1067

Re: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. While moonlight meets the manor's walls [#10]
« Reply #982 on: July 22, 2019, 09:56:02 AM »
RHAPSODY
LEGENDARY CHEESE TALES
Symphonic Power Metal

released October 27th, 1997 via LMP

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #983 on: July 22, 2019, 10:54:39 AM »
Ya'll can bust balls all you want, Rhapsody fucking rules.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #984 on: July 22, 2019, 10:59:03 AM »
I was hoping to see some good album in the top ten :neverusethis:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #985 on: July 22, 2019, 11:09:31 AM »
I was hoping to see some good album in the top ten :neverusethis:

Well then you came to the right place, my friend :hat

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #986 on: July 22, 2019, 12:11:29 PM »
Katt, you really are a good sport about the comments(some by me, but mostly from TAC :D).  Your write ups are excellent.  Do you compile the reviews in word, then copy and paste or some other way?
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #987 on: July 22, 2019, 12:25:09 PM »
Katt, you really are a good sport about the comments(some by me, but mostly from TAC :D).  Your write ups are excellent.  Do you compile the reviews in word, then copy and paste or some other way?

Yup. I think I'm at 88 pages in Word or something. I copy and paste and then reformat here. Sometimes I type out the formatting in word, then transfer. I appreciate the compliment! I have almost a fetish for very nicely formatted writeups, so I try to make them look good.

I was once part of a community that dismissed my opinions on everything due to my taste in music so I've learned to roll with the punches. Ya like what ya like, can't really help it.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #988 on: July 22, 2019, 02:17:10 PM »
Excellent album.  My 2nd exposure to Rhapsody, and my 3rd fave by them.  Gonna listen to it right this very moment actually.

And this week, I promise I'm gonna get caught up on all your writeups!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Katt's Top 50 Albums v. Hallowed be my name [#9]
« Reply #989 on: July 24, 2019, 08:57:42 AM »
EDGUY
THE SAVAGE POETRY
Speed Metal / Heavy Metal / Hard Rock

released June 25th, 2000 via AFM Records

1. Hallowed [6:14]
2. Misguiding Your Life [4:05]
3. Key To My Fate [4:34]
4. Sands of Time [4:40]
5. Sacred Hell [5:38]
6. Eyes of the Tyrant [10:01]
7. Frozen Candle [7:15]
8. Roses To No One [5:43]
9. Power and Majesty [4:53]

THE SAVAGE POETRY is

Tobias Sammet (Vocals / Keyboards)
Jens Ludwig (Guitars)
Dirk Sauer (Guitars)
Tobias Exxel (Bass)
Felix Bohnke (Drums)

WITH

Frank Tischer (Piano on 4)
Ralf Zdiarstek (Choir vocals)
Markus Schmitt (Choir vocals)

When the boys of Edguy were literally boys – teenagers – they wrote their first album and sent it to a label. Reportedly the executive found it so bad he laughed at them. That was the 1995 version of this album, which is technically their first album. Years later they went back, redid the songs and recorded it with much better quality, and released it in the year 2000 after their first three albums – Kingdom of Madness, Vain Glory Opera, and Theater of Salvation.

I think this album is so good because it fully embraces the spirit of pure heavy metal. There are super fast riffs with melodies sometimes embedded into the riffs themselves. Tobias Sammet’s voice is in my opinion at its peak – moreso than Theater of Salvation, moreso than Mandrake – giving the verses all the aggression they need while carrying powerful melodies in the choruses, and becoming an air raid siren every time the songs need a super high scream. This album is a must-listen to for any fan of metal with high vocals, because it’s got one of the best vocalists in the game, at the peak of his game. Seriously, listen to “Frozen Candle” and “Misguiding Your Life” and check out those screams.

And although it’s a speedy record, The Savage Poetry relishes the brief moments it has playing ballads. “Sands of Time” is my favorite Edguy ballad and definitely one of the best ballads I’ve ever heard. There is a golden, warm feeling to the production of this song; similar to Fairyland’s “Fall of an Empire” album (which would come 6 years later), it has this golden shimmer from the strings and reverb on the piano that always makes me think of golden-orange rays of sunlight beaming into an empty, elegant parlor. I love the lyrics and message of this song and mourn how Edguy completely jumped off this creative road not long after this record. Shoutout to “Roses To No One” for being a full-on 80s rock ballad and still being better than most of their later ballads.

In Summary: I mourn how Avantasia has overshadowed Edguy in the last decade, because this album shows what a phenomenal band Edguy used to be. This is the first Edguy album I heard and it’s still my favorite. It’s classic heavy metal amped up a couple notches, Tobias Sammet is at the top of his game, and every second is enjoyable. All killer, no filler, as the saying goes. It’s not quite like any other album in their discography and I really appreciate that. I also love that this was originally written when they were teenagers, and they just polished up the structure and production of most of the songs for the 2000 release. Give these songs a listen. Incredible metal record, this one.

Katt’s Favorites: Misguiding Your Life, Sands of Time, Sacred Hell, Eyes of the Tyrant, Frozen Candle

Listen to “The Savage Poetry” by Edguy on Spotify

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. Hallowed be my name [#9]
« Reply #990 on: July 24, 2019, 09:24:11 AM »
Listened to the first three songs linked, not bad, but I never thought EdGuy was bad, just not good.  I think I like this more than what I heard before, sounds a bit like TMO but a bit more metal than just power I guess.  Maybe.  I dont know, it's solid music and better than what I've heard before.  I also think it's really cool how this got rejected but they didn't give up on it.  Pretty cool story.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #991 on: July 24, 2019, 09:55:47 AM »
Listened to the first three songs linked, not bad, but I never thought EdGuy was bad, just not good.  I think I like this more than what I heard before, sounds a bit like TMO but a bit more metal than just power I guess.  Maybe.  I dont know, it's solid music and better than what I've heard before.  I also think it's really cool how this got rejected but they didn't give up on it.  Pretty cool story.

Yeah, I love the story behind it. Tobi gonna Tobi. "You don't like it? Fuck you, we'll take it back and make it bigger and better and release it anyway!"

Edguy is not good, you're right. They're GREAT! They have some iconic power metal records in Theater of Salvation, Mandrake, and Hellfire Club.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #992 on: July 24, 2019, 11:37:28 AM »
Kattelox, I just want to say, I've been sampling the links from each of these entries and reading all of your reviews. I really enjoy your enthusiasm for these records and, for that reason alone, I sincerely wish I could get on board.

I think my real hurdle is that I grew up in the infancy of metal and all these tunes with bright sunbeams, heroes and general cheerfulness...well that's not we called metal. For me, a distorted guitar doesn't make metal. There needs to be that element of danger, threat, uneasiness, anger, and the like.

Sorry I haven't contributed much to the discussion, but I am reading and enjoying your journey.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #993 on: July 24, 2019, 11:57:18 AM »
I came here expecting to see some Maiden and was utterly disappointed.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #994 on: July 24, 2019, 12:06:06 PM »
Kattelox, I just want to say, I've been sampling the links from each of these entries and reading all of your reviews. I really enjoy your enthusiasm for these records and, for that reason alone, I sincerely wish I could get on board.

I think my real hurdle is that I grew up in the infancy of metal and all these tunes with bright sunbeams, heroes and general cheerfulness...well that's not we called metal. For me, a distorted guitar doesn't make metal. There needs to be that element of danger, threat, uneasiness, anger, and the like.

Sorry I haven't contributed much to the discussion, but I am reading and enjoying your journey.

Hey, I admire the fact that you actually read these *and* sample the links. Thank you!

Your take on metal is an interesting one. I try not to focus too much on genre labels these days, but concerning metal, I've always thought that it's more about the instrumentation as well as the bombast of the song/album/band. For example I'd say Richard Wagner is the classical equivalent of heavy metal due to his composition style and the flavors he creates with the instrumentation, and how the drama in a lot of his music is almost oppressive, the tension is laid on so thick. So when I hear symphonics and classical arrangements with a heavy metal core underneath, I definitely consider it metal. But there's a reason why a lot of people have asked me over the years if I'm even a metal fan, considering what I like most about metal music.  :lol

People once thought synthesizers couldn't be metal and bands that used them were making catastrophic mistakes (see Iron Maiden) - but synthesizers are actually what really brought me into the world of metal, hearing people like Jens Johansson play them. I think it's possible to have super sunny and happy music while remaining metal; the attitude is different, but it's not that much different from what Helloween was doing back in the late 80s, I would argue.

Killers nearly made this list, actually. Lost by a hair.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #995 on: July 24, 2019, 03:08:04 PM »
This album is a blinder.  Always loved this one.  Some of Edguy's best songs here.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #996 on: July 24, 2019, 03:08:48 PM »
If I could have just one Edguy album, this is it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #997 on: July 24, 2019, 05:35:19 PM »
Edguy sounds like someone trying to remember the name of Maiden's mascot.  "You know, that Ed guy."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #998 on: July 24, 2019, 08:24:12 PM »

Amen, Brother.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #999 on: July 24, 2019, 11:06:05 PM »
Expecting TNOTB was way too predictable.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1000 on: July 25, 2019, 07:48:19 AM »
Edguy sounds like someone trying to remember the name of Maiden's mascot.  "You know, that Ed guy."

:lol honestly, the band name is terrible.  I think they could be a bit more successful just with a different name. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1001 on: July 25, 2019, 07:52:10 AM »
Ain't nothing wrong with the name and they've made quite a name for themselves in the power metal world with some of the genre's landmark albums.  Tobi just has more success with Avantasia so it's easy to see why Edguy's on the backburner these days. :corn

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1002 on: July 25, 2019, 08:27:05 AM »
Rhapsody - I used to have a promo for Legendary Tales, but sold it when I fell out of listening to a lot of power metal about 15 years ago.  I'll stick to my guns and say that owning one album of theirs is enough for me. 

Edguy - I have their greatest hits and Hellfire Club.  The greatest hits is a really great compilation.  I've never felt like I need more Edguy though. 

They do have the funniest concert singalong moment from their US debut at Progpower USA, where Tobi had the crowd chant swear words.   :lol

https://youtu.be/kItTwZt8LUw?t=2m8s

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1003 on: July 25, 2019, 08:53:50 AM »
That is awesome!!  :lol  :metal

I've got a small novel for #8 and I don't care if anyone doesn't read it because fuck yes this album is everything. :soon:

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1004 on: July 25, 2019, 08:54:15 AM »

:lol honestly, the band name is terrible.  I think they could be a bit more successful just with a different name.
Sorry, Katt, but I'm with Cram on this one.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1005 on: July 25, 2019, 08:55:17 AM »

Sorry, Katt, but I'm with Cram on this one.

Really? Says the KISS fan?  :lol :hug:

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1006 on: July 25, 2019, 10:05:33 AM »
They do have the funniest concert singalong moment from their US debut at Progpower USA, where Tobi had the crowd chant swear words.   :lol

https://youtu.be/kItTwZt8LUw?t=2m8s

That's pretty awesome up until the song kicks back in  :lol Tobi looks and sounds so different here

also, Kiss is a much better band name than Edguy and I think it's safe to say now, after listening to more Edguy, I enjoy Kiss's music more too

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1007 on: July 25, 2019, 11:11:30 AM »
oh okay

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1008 on: July 25, 2019, 11:12:44 AM »
 :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1009 on: July 25, 2019, 11:29:57 AM »
So...I actually started listening to Rhapsody - Legendary Tales on the way into the office this morning.  I got about halfway through Flames of Revenge by the time I got to the parking lot.  Most of the way through Forest of Unicorns it hit me (and, by the way, it was quite a challenge not to skip to the next track after about 45 seconds of that song):  This is exactly what would happen if someone gave synopsis of This Is Spinal Tap, along with a detailed description of the Stonehenge scenes, and said, "make a metal version of this."

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1010 on: July 25, 2019, 11:33:52 AM »
haven't we been over the "edguy has a stupid name" thing already :neverusethis:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1011 on: July 25, 2019, 11:34:41 AM »
Cyril... can I share those pics to a Facebook power metal group I'm part of? They would get a kick out of them.

So...I actually started listening to Rhapsody - Legendary Tales on the way into the office this morning.  I got about halfway through Flames of Revenge by the time I got to the parking lot.  Most of the way through Forest of Unicorns it hit me (and, by the way, it was quite a challenge not to skip to the next track after about 45 seconds of that song):  This is exactly what would happen if someone gave synopsis of This Is Spinal Tap, along with a detailed description of the Stonehenge scenes, and said, "make a metal version of this."

Look, I'm not going to lie, Forest of Unicorns is one Rhapsody song I am still a little baffled by; there is nothing else like it in their catalog, and it is totally out of place on this album. But it grew on me after many years, and nowadays I can listen to it unironically and legitimately love it. That said, I completely, 100% understand every criticism of that track and the desire to skip. The chorus is, er, well, musical, for sure.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1012 on: July 25, 2019, 11:34:57 AM »
go for it lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1013 on: July 25, 2019, 11:43:23 AM »

Look, I'm not going to lie, Forest of Unicorns is one Rhapsody song I am still a little baffled by; there is nothing else like it in their catalog, and it is totally out of place on this album. But it grew on me after many years, and nowadays I can listen to it unironically and legitimately love it. That said, I completely, 100% understand every criticism of that track and the desire to skip. The chorus is, er, well, musical, for sure.

Well...I can't say the rest of it blew me away, and I honestly didn't feel like Forest of Unicorns was completely out of place.  The Euro power metal stuff I've listened to as a result of this thread has left me looking for hooks.  It's all well performed, and some of the songs have catchy choruses, but the basic tracks are mostly just chord progressions without a lot of melody or anything that leaves me saying, "let me give that another listen."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1014 on: July 25, 2019, 11:52:24 AM »
Interesting. I don't at all agree with the hook assessment, but that's tastes! I would suggest however looking into some of these for something more substantial and thoroughly composed if that's what you're after. Beware the YouTube quality, you should try to find them on your favorite streaming service. But these have some level of complexity that you might really be able to sink your teeth into.

Fairyland - Score To A New Beginning
Twilight Force - There And Back Again
Luca Turilli's Rhapsody - Of Michael the Archangel and Lucifer's Fall, Pt. II: Codex Nemesis