Author Topic: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. I bless the rains down in Africa [#1]  (Read 68173 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I only had the album Inhuman Rampage, which kind of made me feel like..

valley of the damned is the one dragonforce song, and they made like 5 albums based on it. nice

As in, it all kind of just sounded the same to me.  Like one awesome albeit over the top song and then repeat. I think I listened to the album 5 times, first time liked it a good amount and by the 5th I never came back because I felt sick of it.  That was back like in senior year of college though so awhile ago.  I did see them twice open for Kamelot and saw their whole show both times, and after 10 minutes into each set felt that exact same way I did in college.  So while I never gave this album a chance, I'm sure it is a bit more diverse being their first album, I have very little interest in this band.  I didn't even bother to see their headlining set at Progpower a few year ago.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Inhuman Rampage

I almost put it on my top 50. It would've been in the 20s somewhere, maybe low 30s. I love that record, but it absolutely sounds samey, even moreso than the two before it. It's kind of like they took what worked for them thus far and just amped it up to 10, in fact that's what they said basically happened: faster, more notes, longer solos. I think "Flame of Youth" and "Operation Ground and Pound" are top tier Dragonforce songs, but I understand the criticisms of that album for sure. Still an exemplary power metal album imo. "Trail of Broken Hearts" is an awesome ballad and might have the best solos on the album.

They're one of those bands that just kind of stays in the pocket of what they're good at although the last record had them branch out more than ever (not for the better). Kind of like Amon Amarth and ACDC.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
I only have Inhuman Rampage and fall into Crams' category of "Through the Fire and Flames is awesome."   Even that entire record gets way too samey for me to listen to past the first few songs. 

I do credit Dragonforce for helping to get me back into power metal when it came out.  I had dropped off of following all bands in that genre except for Blind Guardian and Kamelot around that time.  But I loved the song and I was reminded why I love the style of music.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 01:22:57 PM by Grappler »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I think it was the "over the top" part of my little critique that bothers me when kind of not swaying from a sound.  I know and love lots of bands that stick to the same sound over and over and if I enjoy it, I can enjoy the same output.  But with Dragonforce, those crazy guitars are just too much for me and when it doesn't stop, it really makes me tired of listening to them. 

When they played locally (I had never seen a power metal show at this venue before which was awesome) Dragonforce had a really big turn out, maybe bigger than Kamelot.  The girl I was dating then (she was a Dragonforce fan, didn't know Kamelot) and was shocked they weren't headlining as apparently they have a strong NJ fan base, I guess she was right. 

I saw ZP perform with Skid Row earlier this year, I thought he was the best part of that show.  I think in my write up I wrote something about he seemed like the only one on the stage to act like he has something to prove.  I actually didn't even realize the Skid Row new singer was actually the original from Dragonforce until after the show (so my review of how much I enjoyed his performance had nothing to do with my opinions or thoughts of Dragonforce although it shouldnt of mattered, vocals were never my issue with them anyway).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm really happy for ZP. That's more his style, and he loves Skid Row and other 80s rock bands to death, and he does a good job at it. I'm glad he's happier and doing what he really loves.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm really happy for ZP. That's more his style, and he loves Skid Row and other 80s rock bands to death, and he does a good job at it. I'm glad he's happier and doing what he really loves.

Is he happier?  I mean, Skid Row isn't exactly a good band to be fronting in 2019.  Dragonforce had a bigger crowd in the same venue as an opener  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

Is he happier?  I mean, Skid Row isn't exactly a good band to be fronting in 2019.  Dragonforce had a bigger crowd in the same venue as an opener  :lol

ZP's an 80s rock dude at heart, he even auditioned for the band singing Bon Jovi. I think he has a deep disdain for Herman in particular; sources close to them have told me there was a massive blowout fight between ZP and Herman over the musical/lyrical direction of the band after the fourth album (Ultra Beatdown) and ZP up and quit because he couldn't take the lyrical nonsense anymore (it got really bad on UB imo, so I understand his frustration). Which is a shame because he was one of the founding members of the group. There's an old video interview with the band and they're talking about their influences and ZP was much different from the rest, screaming praise for Motley Crue and Skid Row and all those bands.

But yeah even though DF might've had bigger crowds, I think ZP is far happier playing 80s rock.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
ZP up and quit because he couldn't take the lyrical nonsense anymore (it got really bad on UB imo, so I understand his frustration).

I mean, who titles a song Heartbreak Armageddon? :lol

I would love to see the list of song titles that that actually beat!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
ZP up and quit because he couldn't take the lyrical nonsense anymore (it got really bad on UB imo, so I understand his frustration).

I mean, who titles a song Heartbreak Armageddon? :lol

I would love to see the list of song titles that that actually beat!

See and even as ridiculous as that song title is it's still not as bad as that fucking atrocious Shinedown-inspired emo teen suicide letter to mom on Reaching Into Infinity.  And it's even called Silence! 'cause, you know, silence when he's gone, man. Deep shit. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I like their lasts album the most, but this is a pretty damn fine album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Katt's Top 50 Albums v. And we are walking the ghost mile to war [#12]
« Reply #955 on: July 17, 2019, 08:45:08 AM »
VOYAGER
GHOST MILE
Progressive Metal

released May 12th, 2017 via Iav Records

1. Ascension [5:22]
2. Misery Is Only Company [5:01]
3. Lifeline [4:45]
4. The Fragile Serene [4:55]
5. To the Riverside [2:09]
6. Ghost Mile [4:18]
7. What A Wonderful Day [3:12]
8. Disconnected [4:52]
9. This Gentle Earth (1981) [3:28]
10. As the City Takes the Night [6:25]

GHOST MILE is

Danny Estrin (Vocals / Keyboards)
Alex Canion (Bass)
Simone Dow (Guitars)
Scott Kay (Guitars)
Ashley Doodkorte (Drums)

Even for myself, I find it surprising that Ghost Mile is so high on this list, above Valley of the Damned and Imaginations From The Other Side and Images and Words. But every time I think about it, I realize this list is about my top 50 of all time, in this moment, what I’m feeling the most at this point in my life. If Valley of the Damned and co. represent the most important music to me of my teenage years, Voyager’s music represents some of the most important prog metal of my young adult life, and remains one of the only bands to blow my mind away with each album they’ve released for the last decade.

Ashley Doodkorte officially became my favorite drummer in prog and metal after seeing him play at ProgPower USA 2018. He hits his drums harder than anybody I’ve seen except maybe Jörg Michael, but he’s also playing everything, including blistering double bass (“Ghost Mile”), four-to-the-floor poppy dance beats (“Lifeline,” “What A Wonderful Day”), and gentle rolls on what I believe are floor toms (“This Gentle Earth (1981)”). He’s one of the stars of this record in my opinion.

Ghost Mile shows Voyager at arguably their most comfortable, with the same lineup that was on the previous album, V. The djenty side of the band comes out regularly, and I can’t say I’ve heard a tighter band than these Aussies. Simone and Scott’s parts double up over Ashley’s thick drums to create very powerful staccato accents, giving the music a very percussive sound, and even the melodic guitar parts sound like they have some punch to every note (like the melodic pattern they play in the refrain of “Ghost Mile” as the drums continue kicking out this stuttering rhythm that almost doesn’t seem to jive with the band if you aren’t paying attention). This rhythmic flavor has always kept me coming back for more.

And it’s that tight rhythmic section that allows singer Danny Estrin so much room to dominate in the upper end of the band alongside his sugary synth patches and occasional twinkling, clean guitar riff. I’m drawn to unique voices, and Danny has a very distinct sound that I find extremely pleasant. I think he’s particularly good in songs like “Ascension,” “Ghost Mile,” and “This Gentle Earth (1981)”. Danny is the other shining star of Ghost Mile in my book. He and Ashley are the most impressive to listen to here.

AND IT’S ONLY 44 MINUTES LONG! Prog bands, take some notes and get to the point with your songs, please. You can have musical complexity in a 3 or 4 minute song, believe me.

In Summary: Ghost Mile is strange in that it has complexity and depth, and yet it’s as easy to listen to as a pop record. In that way it reminds me of Images and Words. In my opinion Voyager are the new kings (and queen) of progressive metal, however you define that. I think this lineup of the band has an electric chemistry that I hope stays together for a long time. It’s one of my favorite albums of the 2010s and easily one of the best progressive rock/metal albums I’ve ever heard. Ghost Mile shows them at their absolute best, the album doesn’t overstay its welcome, it doesn’t waste its time on overblown songs that are way too long and it doesn’t try to tackle any super heady philosophical themes, or incorporate any corny or cheesy lyricism, it’s just really good prog metal that captures a band at the height of their creativity and performance.

Katt’s Favorites: Ascension (music video), Misery Is Only Company (music video), Lifeline, Ghost Mile (music video), This Gentle Earth (1981)

Listen to “Ghost Mile” by Voyager on Spotify

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. And we are walking the ghost mile to war [#12]
« Reply #956 on: July 17, 2019, 08:58:37 AM »
I think you know how I feel about this album since we saw the same show, but for others.  I started checking Voyager out when I realized I would see them headline progpower.  I initially wasn't into it.  I think it's the singers voice that both turned me off a bit, but also intrigued me.  I wasn't into it, but for some reason I kept trying.  It wasn't until a month out of progpower I gave them one more shot and for some reason, that time it just clicked and I ended up listening to them non stop on youtube before getting this album, Ghost Mile, a week before the show which I really enjoyed.

Honestly that exact same situation happened two years earlier when I had previously gone to Progpower and for Haken.  I couldn't get into them, and I think it was the vocals, but I was intrigued and kept trying and one day it just clicked and next thing I know I loved the band.  ONly difference, I haven't gone back to discover more of Voyager sicne PP.  I listen to Ghost Mile every once in awhile still, it's a good album for sure, but I haven't itched out time to discover more.

They were also an extremely impressive live band.  They got tons of talent and put on one of the best, if not the best, set of the entire festival.  I agree too about the drummer, guy was a beast.  They opened with What A Wonderful Day and it just blew my mind how good they sounded and then they never let that feeling die for their entire long set.  :metal

Offline romdrums

« Reply #957 on: July 17, 2019, 10:42:15 AM »
Voyager, especially on their more recent records, has always sounded to me like Depeche Mode if they somehow came out of the Gothenberg melodeath scene in the late 90's/early 00's.  And somehow, it totally works.  Even more amazing, is that they are based in Perth, Western Australia, which is the most remote large city in the world.  Perth's music scene punches far above its weight class though, as bands like Karnivool, Chaos Divine, Birds of Tokyo, The Jon Butler Trio, Tame Impala, and INXS all hail from there.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #958 on: July 17, 2019, 10:52:43 AM »
Despite ranking the title track 4.5/10 in my last roulette, I still intend to check this album out to see if it clicks with me.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #959 on: July 17, 2019, 10:53:35 AM »
Despite ranking the title track 4.5/10 in my last roulette, I still intend to check this album out to see if it clicks with me.

A madman.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #960 on: July 17, 2019, 10:55:08 AM »
I've tried listening to this one several times and it has never done anything at all for me.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #961 on: July 17, 2019, 10:59:26 AM »

A madman.

I actually should start checking the bands from my roulette out, there was a lot of great stuff there (I also intend to check both of the bands you sent me). Will probably get to it starting next week.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #962 on: July 17, 2019, 11:17:17 AM »
I've actually been doing the same for the bands you sent me in my last roulette, Ev, but between you and Puppies alone, the number of 10+ minute songs I'm still absorbing is ridiculous  :lol :lol Sooo good though...

I wish Voyager was something everybody enjoyed. I get why it's not some people's cup of tea, but I think they strike the perfect balance between djent, prog, metal, and pop, while still doing their own thing and having fun with it. The live show is just a delight.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #963 on: July 17, 2019, 12:01:16 PM »
I really like Voyager, but that's not one of their top albums for my tastes.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #964 on: July 17, 2019, 02:19:17 PM »
Well this thread has got me back on a DragonForce kick  :metal

I don't mind their debut but don't rate it as highly as you Katt. As you know, it's their second album where I think they really shine! My biggest gripe with Inhuman Rampage was how it felt like they were going through the motions (except for Through the Fire and Flames of course). I listened to it today for the first time in a few years and it is great, just not mind blowing.

I stopped listening to their new material after ZP left. I've given all their subsequent albums a few listens over the last few years but for me, they never recaptured the magic  :sadpanda:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #965 on: July 17, 2019, 02:23:38 PM »
Well this thread has got me back on a DragonForce kick  :metal

I don't mind their debut but don't rate it as highly as you Katt. As you know, it's their second album where I think they really shine! My biggest gripe with Inhuman Rampage was how it felt like they were going through the motions (except for Through the Fire and Flames of course). I listened to it today for the first time in a few years and it is great, just not mind blowing.

I stopped listening to their new material after ZP left. I've given all their subsequent albums a few listens over the last few years but for me, they never recaptured the magic  :sadpanda:

Spoiler alert... Sonic Firestorm is in the top 10. But where?! :) :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #966 on: July 17, 2019, 03:47:29 PM »
Voyager are very hit and miss for me.  I find it difficult to really get into them.  The only album I enjoy is The Meaning of I.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #967 on: July 17, 2019, 03:48:32 PM »
They haven't done anything for me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #968 on: July 17, 2019, 03:49:21 PM »
Voyager are very hit and miss for me.  I find it difficult to really get into them.  The only album I enjoy is The Meaning of I.

God I love that record. Just barely missed out on my top 50. Was my favorite Voyager til Ghost Mile, easily.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #969 on: July 17, 2019, 03:51:37 PM »
They haven't done anything for me.

What about a Voyager cover medley??

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #970 on: July 18, 2019, 06:10:55 AM »
I like The Meaning of I and V.  Haven't really explored any further into Voyager's discography.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
POWER QUEST
MAGIC NEVER DIES
Melodic Power Metal / 80s-influenced Rock / AOR

released May 21st, 2005 via Majestic Rock

1. Ascension (instrumental) [2:05]
2. Find My Heaven [4:14]
3. Galaxies Unknown [5:03]
4. Hold On To Love [5:02]
5. Diamond Sky [3:58]
6. The Message [6:15]
7. Soulfire [5:04]
8. Children of the Dream [6:10]
9. Strike Force [6:23]
10. Another World [7:44]
11. Magic Never Dies [6:13]
12. The Longest Night* [5:24]

*Japanese bonus track

MAGIC NEVER DIES is

Steve Williams (Keyboards / Backing vocals)
Alessio Garavello (Vocals)
Andrea Martongelli (Guitars / Backing vocals)
Steve Scott (Bass / Backing vocals)
Francesco Tresca (Drums)

WITH

Anna Walker (Voice on 6)
Clive Nolan (Backing vocals / Keyboards on 12 / Orchestration on 1)

Magic Never Dies is… well, it’s a simple record, honestly. It has your blissful, optimistic power metal anthems for about half the record, and the rest is full of 80s-influenced keyboard driven AOR. And it all blends together beautifully, it’s neither too heavy nor too soft, it’s something of an evolution on the previous record, 2003’s Neverworld, and I think this is an extraordinary example of power metal in one of its tastiest forms.

I’m writing this one on the fly and I am utterly exhausted, so let’s keep it brief. Power metal anthems? You got ‘em. This album’s loaded with them: “Find My Heaven,” “Galaxies Unknown,” “Diamond Sky,” “Soulfire,” “Strike Force,” “Magic Never Dies” – every single one of those a power metal gem, full of catchy fast solos, stratospheric vocal melodies, huge choruses, fast drums, and cheerful lyricism. Speed + melody + synth magic = a very good time for me, these songs have all of that in spades.

“Hold On To Love” is a heavily 80s-influenced rocker with one of Power Quest’s best keyboard lines, which is also heavily inspired by Van Halen’s “Jump”. “The Message” is a slow ballad, the token brooding song of the album about being away from home and the toll it takes on relationships, good stuff but certainly not the strongest song for a power metal record. “Children of the Dream” straddles the border between the album’s power metal sound and the 80s rock sound of “Hold On To Love” and it’s also one of my favorite songs ever; if I were to pick a personal theme song, “Children of the Dream” would be a top contender, everything about it hits me in the feels.

“Another World” is a strange song in that it’s the longest song on the album but it’s not even metal; it’s just a rather standard, keyboard-laden, almost kind of barely prog-ish approach to power metal rock. Love the chorus, even if it takes a bit of time to get there. The title track, “Magic Never Dies,” is a great closer to the album proper, not overstaying its welcome, but making sure you know what the theme of the album is: hope, love, and a thirsty imagination.

“The Longest Night” features a stellar keyboard solo from the one and only Clive Nolan, and is widely considered one of Power Quest’s best songs, even as a bonus track. I love the start of this song, using an a capella version of the chorus to kick it off.

In Summary: A lot of people consider this to be Power Quest’s pinnacle, and I have to agree, although Neverworld is close. The sound of this record just speaks to me and has almost everything I could want in a keyboard-driven power metal record, and just about nothing I don’t want. This is way too cheesy for a lot of people, but if you think of this album as an hour-long blend of “Separate Ways” by Journey, “Jump” by Van Halen, and “The Final Countdown” by Europe… then it might be palatable! Give a couple songs a listen for yourself.

AND THEY’RE TRYING TO PLAY THE WHOLE THING AT PROGPOWER USA 2020!!! Totally new lineup other than the leader of the band, Steve Williams, BUT I DON’T CARE!!
:jamaritard: MAGIC NEVER DIES :jamaritard:

Katt’s Favorites: Hold On To Love, Diamond Sky, Children of the Dream, Strike Force, Magic Never Dies, The Longest Night, just listen to the whole record tbh

Listen to “Magic Never Dies” by Power Quest on Spotify

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
When this is finished, you should rank all 50 of the albums from best cover art to worst cover art.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
You could also rank them by cheese.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Off the top of my head I think I'd say either Symphony of Enchanted Lands 2 or Luxaeterna or Imaginations From The Other Side has my favorite artwork from this entire list. By cheese? Impossible.  They're all cheese soup with extra cheese.  :lol

Also, you think that album art is bad? I got the Magic Never Dies shirt one year, and on the back it had all the band members lined up looking at the camera, but the singer was wearing a cowboy hat and some kind of Hawaiian shirt, I think.  :lol

Top 10 begins sometime this weekend... I know at least two or three will resonate with some people here but the rest might be head-scratchers or even get crickets. We're on the home stretch!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 03:32:15 PM by Kattelox »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :lol to the crickets coming and TAC's cheese ranking

What do you mean about "trying" to play progpower?  The announcement of bands is coming up, I feel like it's got to be pretty close to settled, but I don't know how all that works, unless maybe they are the back up band for the eventual drop out

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
:lol to the crickets coming and TAC's cheese ranking

What do you mean about "trying" to play progpower?  The announcement of bands is coming up, I feel like it's got to be pretty close to settled, but I don't know how all that works, unless maybe they are the back up band for the eventual drop out

Well I assume it's set, but I guess it depends on funding? I plan on sponsoring, so I've been in contact with people. But I'm assuming they'll be in the announcement video :)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Goddamn, I'm 5 albums behind, and just haven't had time over the past 10 days to keep up.  Really want to read your writeups.

Aquaria - added to the list to listen to.
Dragonforce - saw them open for Kamelot once.  I thought I new what speed metal was.  They proved me wrong.  I just don't 'get' DF.  Not for me.  A few decent tracks here and there, but on the whole, I'll pass.
Voyager - musically, great.  Vocally... bland as fuck.  Sorry, I just can't stand Danny's vocals.  Or his Keytar for that matter.
PowerQuest - added to the list.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't mind Power Quest........have an album or two from their early stuff and then revisited when Steve joined Eden's Curse.

They made my Best of 2016 podcast with Face The Raven EP which is quite a different (harder) sound, vocalist etc...

Voyager just don't click with me at all from what I have heard.  I always try and get into local bands too but have never figured out the appeal...............actually I just revsiited Misery Is Only Company and I can hear the potential in there.  Like the chorus but the midsection dragged and lost me.   Pretty sure I would find some stuff I like if I could get through their discog but they have that djenty edge that tends to upset my ears unless it's very brief.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 08:54:09 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Goddamn, I'm 5 albums behind, and just haven't had time over the past 10 days to keep up.  Really want to read your writeups.

Aquaria - added to the list to listen to.
Dragonforce - saw them open for Kamelot once.  I thought I new what speed metal was.  They proved me wrong.  I just don't 'get' DF.  Not for me.  A few decent tracks here and there, but on the whole, I'll pass.
Voyager - musically, great.  Vocally... bland as fuck.  Sorry, I just can't stand Danny's vocals.  Or his Keytar for that matter.
PowerQuest - added to the list.

I urge you to please listen to Disciples of Babylon by Dragonforce, because it's really much more tasteful than their later songs. Nowadays they have their sound on autopilot, but Disciples remains a classic from their early years that for some baffling reason they refuse to ever play live (and the one tour they did, they only played half of it). Unfortunately they've never really written another song like that.

I think you'd like Power Quest... maybe.

I don't mind Power Quest........have an album or two from their early stuff and then revisited when Steve joined Eden's Curse.

They made my Best of 2016 podcast with Face The Raven EP which is quite a different (harder) sound, vocalist etc...

Voyager just don't click with me at all from what I have heard.  I always try and get into local bands too but have never figured out the appeal...............actually I just revsiited Misery Is Only Company and I can hear the potential in there.  Like the chorus but the midsection dragged and lost me.   Pretty sure I would find some stuff I like if I could get through their discog but they have that djenty edge that tends to upset my ears unless it's very brief.

Face the Raven rocks. Ashley's a great singer, I love that scream that opens the song. I would love more songs like that. Also dig Steve's keyboards on Symphony of Sin - Unbreakable is an awesome song.