Author Topic: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. I bless the rains down in Africa [#1]  (Read 67904 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
My gateway drug to prog metal.

Yea probably mine too

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Katt's Top 50 Albums v. For the king, for the land, for the mountains [#16]
« Reply #876 on: July 10, 2019, 04:05:12 PM »
RHAPSODY
SYMPHONY OF ENCHANTED LANDS
Symphonic Power Metal

released October 5th, 1998 via LMP

1. Epicus Furor [1:14]
2. Emerald Sword [4:21]
3. Wisdom of the Kings [4:28]
4. Heroes of the Lost Valley [2:04]
5. Eternal Glory [7:29]
6. Beyond the Gates of Infinity [7:23]
7. Wings of Destiny [4:28]
8. The Dark Tower of Abyss [6:46]
9. Riding the Winds of Eternity [4:13]
10. Symphony of Enchanted Lands [13:16]

Fabio Lione (Vocals)
Luca Turilli (Guitars / Choir vocals)
Alessandro Lotta (Bass)
Alex Staropoli (Keyboards / Choir vocals)
Daniele Carbonera (Drums)

FEATURING

Constanze Backes (Female baroque vocals on 10)
Sir Jay Lansford (Narration)
Manuel Staropoli (Baroque recorders / Baroque oboe / Choir vocals)
Michael ‘Miro’ Rodenberg (Choir vocals)
Sascha Paeth (Acoustic guitars / Madolin / Balalaika)

WITH

a whole crapton of orchestra musicians

It’s Rhapsody. You know what to expect. Let’s talk about the story instead! Skip to the end if you don’t give a shit.

This is the second chapter of The Emerald Sword Saga. The Warrior of Ice and the mighty dragon Tharos set off in search of the third key to open the Ivory Gates to an enchanted realm (“Emerald Sword,” “Wisdom of the Kings”). After speaking with the wizard Aresius, they ride across a great valley and desert. The Warrior and Tharos are ambushed by nightmarish creatures – ghosts and the living dead surround our heroes until Tharos fends them off and flies away with the hero (“Heroes of the Lost Valleys,” “Eternal Glory,” “Beyond the Gates of Infinity”).

Tharos and the Warrior have a lovely little flight (“Wings of Destiny”) until everything grows dark and cold, and the presence of evil can be felt in the air. They arrive at the Dark Tower of Abyss (“The Dark Tower of Abyss”). In this tower lies the Emerald Sword, a powerful, ancient weapon. Let me just say this is a monstrous track, one of the first Rhapsody songs I ever heard, and the orchestral stuff is sublime. I adore every single second of this song and wrote a full piano arrangement of it in college. Damn is it good.

Okay, so, the Emerald Sword is hidden in the Dark Tower. There’s a long history to the sword that’s actually explained in the 2006 song “The Myth of the Holy Sword”. (The sword is filled with the life force of the ancient warrior Naimur, whose energy was drained out of him by an emerald stone. Naimur’s brother, Loinir, after the battle of Galfor’s mines in which Naimur was captured, stole the stone and with it forged the Emerald Sword. The angels answered his prayers and blessed the sword which filled it with might. Years later, a last battle was waged against Atlon. With a single blow, Loinir cut down Atlon and avenged his brother, but later, unsettled by the power of the weapon, sealed it beyond the Ivory Gates for ages.)

Anyway – while Tharos battles winged demons in the sky above the Tower, the Warrior enters a secret door and discovers the Emerald Sword. A demonic guardian awakens – before the Warrior of Ice is hit, Tharos arrives and kills the beast. They immediately escape and fly far away (“Riding the Winds of Eternity”). Unfortunately, by the time they get back through the Ivory Gates, Tharos succumbs to injuries he took at the Tower, and the Warrior of Ice, furious and heartbroken, swears for revenge against the Dark Lord Akron (“Symphony of Enchanted Lands”).

In Summary: Symphony of Enchanted Lands is a monumental power metal album. It contains some classic, iconic power metal songs, with “Emerald Sword” serving as the band’s signature anthem. It’s bursting with orchestral arrangements and real musicians, but with a heavy emphasis on the metal band that makes up the core band: the keyboardist is almost his own orchestra separate from the real musicians, and the guitars still play loud, heavy riffs and solos that are up front in the mix. It’s a very balanced record while also sticking to some safe traditions like having a token ballad (“Wings of Destiny”), an intro track (“Epicus Furor”), a big epic (the title track), and a song with a little bit of proggy influence (“Beyond the Gates of Infinity”).

Katt’s Favorites: Emerald Sword, Wisdom of the Kings, Beyond the Gates of Infinity, The Dark Tower of Abyss, Symphony of Enchanted Lands

Listen to "Symphony of Enchanted Lands" by Rhapsody on Spotify
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Pretty much.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
K-Lox, another album that unfortunately I cannot offer much. I look forward to the end and looking at your list in total, and creating a checklist for me to run through.

Honestly, I've tried pretty much all of these bands in the past, but you've inspired me to give them all another shot.

I have said before that I remember getting very antsy musically in the late 90's. I went through a downloading phase where I tried many of these bands. It's great that you were able to experience these bands in your formative years, and I can se how they helped shape your tastes.

The bands and albums I listened to when I was 12-14 are still among my favorites even today.

I still can't believe you don't like Heavenly. Their first three albums are great.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
My #1 album of all time.

Finally, something we agree on!
I find this interesting, because it's not even my favorite Dream Theater album (that goes to Six Degrees, for reasons), let alone favorite of all time (that goes to Marbles). Now don't get me wrong, it's a great album, but not even in my top 3 Dream Theater albums.

I still can't believe you don't like Heavenly. Their first three albums are great.
Agreed.  :metal I don't remember if it was you or Jingle that sent them in my roulette, but Heavenly is awesome. And I think I like them more now than I did during my roulette.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I might have, although I really don't remember. If I did, I probably would've sent Evil, which I have sent a couple of times.

I sent Hands Of Darkness to Cool Chris in an instrumental round, and I think it won the round.

After the band basically left Ben Sotto after Dust To Dust, they are not the same. I think Frederic LeClerq is an amazing musician, and you could feel his influence on Dragonforce right away. he's being wasted as their bassist though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
I might have, although I really don't remember. If I did, I probably would've sent Evil, which I have sent a couple of times.

I sent Hands Of Darkness to Cool Chris in an instrumental round, and I think it won the round.

After the band basically left Ben Sotto after Dust To Dust, they are not the same. I think Frederic LeClerq is an amazing musician, and you could feel his influence on Dragonforce right away. he's being wasted as their bassist though.
Considering Dragonforce's most recent album is their best, I'd say he had a huge impact on them. The song writing is the best it's ever been.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I think his first album with them was Ultra Beatdown. I haven't followed them since that album though.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Considering Dragonforce's most recent album is their best, I'd say he had a huge impact on them. The song writing is the best it's ever been.

Checking it out now. :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Considering Dragonforce's most recent album is their best

Fred ruined this fucking band. They used to be amazing on their first three. What a fall from grace. A shadow of their former selves. I have very strong opinions on Dragonforce.  :lol :lol

UB was his first album, yeah, but he started touring pretty much from the start on the Inhuman Rampage tour because Adrian Lambert left right after recording. Or even during it, after he finished his parts.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 07:10:08 PM by Kattelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
K-Lox, another album that unfortunately I cannot offer much. I look forward to the end and looking at your list in total, and creating a checklist for me to run through.

Honestly, I've tried pretty much all of these bands in the past, but you've inspired me to give them all another shot.

I have said before that I remember getting very antsy musically in the late 90's. I went through a downloading phase where I tried many of these bands. It's great that you were able to experience these bands in your formative years, and I can se how they helped shape your tastes.

The bands and albums I listened to when I was 12-14 are still among my favorites even today.

That's cool, man. Even if you don't feel 'em, it's cool that you're giving them another go so many years later.  Yeah, lots of this stuff came during the formative years. The ones that are more recent have a lot of competition to square up to.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Bass solo on Astral Empire! :metal

EDIT: That whole song is fucking awesome!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
It's a good album. It just pales next to the old stuff...

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni

TAC: Heavenly - Hands Of Darkness   
Superb blend of musicianship, creativity, melody. Everything a metal instrumental should be.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It's a good album. It just pales next to the old stuff...

I actually have the first 4 albums. It's been ages since I've bothered with them. Those early albums really sound the same. But I love the melodic speed of them. I hate the squiggly shit they do in the guitar solos though.

I'm enjoying Reaching Into Infinity quite a bit, although Midnight Madness kind of blew.

TAC: Heavenly - Hands Of Darkness   
Superb blend of musicianship, creativity, melody. Everything a metal instrumental should be.

:metal :metal :metal

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
SYMPHONY!   :metal

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but Symphony of Enchanted Lands was among the first handful of power metal albums that I ever bought.  I never really got into Rhapsody past this album, but it's so special to me for nostalgia.  The songs take me back to when I started enjoying this kind of music, and Emerald Sword is just so awesome.

Images & Words - not much else to add.  It's probably in my top 10 of all time.  Sadly missed the tour 2 years ago, but that's life. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Dragon...check.
Sword...check.
Castle...check.

Get the fuck out!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Technically it's a fortress.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Lord Of The Rings trilogy has taught me better than that. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Lord Of The Rings trilogy has taught me better than that. :lol

:lol The best fantasy series of all time and the one true trilogy.

SYMPHONY!   :metal

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but Symphony of Enchanted Lands was among the first handful of power metal albums that I ever bought.  I never really got into Rhapsody past this album, but it's so special to me for nostalgia.  The songs take me back to when I started enjoying this kind of music, and Emerald Sword is just so awesome.

Hell yes. It's a shame you never got into Rhapsody beyond this (there's so much good stuff there) but I'm glad it has that effect on you. I really love the sound of the synth brass on this record.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Agreed.  :metal I don't remember if it was you or Jingle that sent them in my roulette, but Heavenly is awesome. And I think I like them more now than I did during my roulette.

Definitely wasn't me. I don't own any Heavenly.

I patiently await Tim's edit of that post to hammer home the cheap shot I've teed up for him.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
I've tried a lot of power metal bands over time but the amount of cheese and corny-ness was often hard to swallow although I didn't find it that bad musically. Seeing and reading your entries here I will probably try some of them again to see if I can get past the dragons, swords and castles fortresses.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
I&W  :metal

When I was into power metal this Rhapsody album was one I listened to regularly. It has some really good songs
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Puppies is spot on.  Reaching Into Infinity is Dragonforce's best album by a long, long, long margin.  I think it's brilliant.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
(edited) Man, to each their own, but best by a 'long long margin'? I could not possibly disagree more. I'll hold my thoughts... for now...  :biggrin:

I've tried a lot of power metal bands over time but the amount of cheese and corny-ness was often hard to swallow although I didn't find it that bad musically. Seeing and reading your entries here I will probably try some of them again to see if I can get past the dragons, swords and castles fortresses.

I doubt you'll be able to get into it - although, who knows. There are bands that sound like Rhapsody, but I actively despise them and that surprises people. What some people find corny I don't - like Rhapsody, I find them totally bearable, but so much other power metal either tries too hard or doesn't try hard enough and it sounds really bad. Cool that you might give them another shot though :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 07:12:04 AM by Kattelox »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

Boom, me too.

Not my #1 album of all time, but top ten, and favorite DT album. 

Offline Dreamdrummer

Rhapsody is awesome.

I consider Rain Of A Thousand Flames one of the best Powermetal songs ever written.

Love the speed, arrangements, orchestrations, melodies.
Drums - Music - Faith - Hope - Love - Tattoos - Learning To Live

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
How can we be talking about DragonForce and not all agreeing that Sonic Firestorm is the best album (by a long, long, long margin)  :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
How can we be talking about DragonForce and not all agreeing that Sonic Firestorm is the best album (by a long, long, long margin)  :metal

Luke gets it. Luke totally gets it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Katt's Top 50 Albums v. Enslave us and make us your god's sacrifice [#15]
« Reply #905 on: July 12, 2019, 07:32:21 AM »
BLIND GUARDIAN
IMAGINATIONS FROM THE OTHER SIDE
Speed Metal / Power Metal

released April 5th, 1995 via Virgin Records

1. Imaginations From The Other Side [7:19]
2. I’m Alive [5:31]
3. A Past and Future Secret [3:48]
4. The Script For My Requiem [6:09]
5. Mordred’s Song [5:28]
6. Born in a Mourning Hall [5:14]
7. Bright Eyes [5:16]
8. Another Holy War [4:32]
9. And the Story Ends [6:00]

IMAGINATIONS FROM THE OTHER SIDE is

Hansi Kürsch (Vocals / Bass)
André Olbrich (Lead, rhythm, acoustic guitars)
Marcus Siepen (Rhythm guitars)
Thomas Stauch (Drums)

WITH

Mathias Wiesner (Effects)
Ronnie Atkins (Backing vocals)
Jacob Moth (Acoustic guitars on 3)
Billy King (Backing vocals)
Thomas Hackmann (Backing vocals)
Rolf Köhler R.I.P. 2007 (Backing vocals)
Piet Sielck (Backing vocals)

Behold! Imaginations From The Other Side is, in my opinion, 1995’s best album, easily the best Blind Guardian album, and a landmark album for the speed metal side of power metal. It’s a culmination of their early sound, with a touch of the folky and orchestral elements they’d use for the next twenty years. Strong, heavy and fast riffs, loud drums, enormous choirs, Hansi singing like a banshee (in a good way), minimal interruption of flow. Blind Guardian was in the zone when they cut this gem. (That said, I like the acoustic version of “Bright Eyes” more than the proper version here)

I've actually struggled to put into words why I like this album so much partially because I've already talked so much about this already particularly in the Blind Guardian thread.

“The Script For My Requiem” is my favorite Blind Guardian song and one of the first metal songs I ever heard. The sound of that song – the production, the perfectly layered choir vocals, the intensity of Hansi’s singing, and the shred of the guitar – never fails to impress me. It’s the perfect heavy metal sound. Crucify! CRUCIFY!

“Mordred’s Song” and “A Past and Future Secret” are two of my other favorites for the brilliant clean guitar work and gorgeous vocal melodies carried over some choice chord progressions (especially in APAFS, which shifts between F#m and E major in the verses and creates a dreamlike atmosphere). "A Past and Future Secret" is about King Arthur, which is cool.

I think Andre’s shredding is at its best on this album: when he shreds, it’s still melodic and memorable and adds something to the music, but he doesn’t do it on every track like on older albums so when it does happen it stands out. Hansi is the real star of the album because he shows his full vocal range and can switch from a croon to a scream anytime he wants to (sometimes layering both in the same vocal line). “Another Holy War” and “I’m Alive” have him at his most catlike in the chorus, but he’s got more bite to his voice in the verses when he sings a bit lower. I can’t imagine any other singer possibly singing Blind Guardian’s stuff. I’ve never known how Hansi does it, but he does, and we all love him for it.

In Summary: I just love every second of this record. I even got to see them play it in full, live, in 2016. If you like metal and you haven’t heard this record or are new to Blind Guardian – listen to this ASAP. Nuff said.

Katt’s Favorites: Imaginations From The Other Side, A Past and Future Secret, The Script For My Requiem, Mordred’s Song, Bright Eyes

Listen to “Imaginations From The Other Side” on Spotify

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
I love this album....Nightfall was my first BG record sometime in 1998 or 1999 and then I ended up getting Imaginations not long after.  I saw them at The Rave in Milwaukee in 2016...got a free ticket from the venue and decided that it was worth it to see them not only for the first time, but to see them play the album in full.  The Ninth Wave was a nice opener and I was just taking in seeing and hearing Hansi sing live for the first time.  Then they went into Welcome to Dying and I lost my shit.   :metal

I've actually been listening to some of the remixed versions from the compilation album they put out a handful of years ago and it's weird to hear the songs mixed so different.  But fun to have a few different versions of them.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I love this album....Nightfall was my first BG record sometime in 1998 or 1999 and then I ended up getting Imaginations not long after.  I saw them at The Rave in Milwaukee in 2016...got a free ticket from the venue and decided that it was worth it to see them not only for the first time, but to see them play the album in full.  The Ninth Wave was a nice opener and I was just taking in seeing and hearing Hansi sing live for the first time.  Then they went into Welcome to Dying and I lost my shit.   :metal

I've actually been listening to some of the remixed versions from the compilation album they put out a handful of years ago and it's weird to hear the songs mixed so different.  But fun to have a few different versions of them.

I almost went to that show! But I had friends in St. Louis, so I went there instead. I wasted too much time shotgunning drinks in the parking lot so I walked in a couple minutes into The Ninth Wave, and once Welcome to Dying started I was suitably buzzed to start partying  :lol I also like having the multiple versions. The remixes aren't bad!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
 :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Had it on my list somewhere around #15 too! I agree, this is the best Blind Guardian album by miles.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
:2metal::2metal::2metal::2metal::2metal::2metal::2metal:

Yeah, best BG album.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants.