Author Topic: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. I bless the rains down in Africa [#1]  (Read 66794 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. I know I can't stay by your side forever [#22]
« Reply #805 on: July 04, 2019, 03:58:04 PM »
There is nothing dud or what I would call filler on this album.  It's fucking quality.

I agree, however, the closest songs that come to that are definitely Before the Winter (imo) and Holy Light. Strato's instrumentals tend to all blur together even for me but I think Stratosphere and Stratofortress are the definitive instruments. But everything else on this album is just... holy shit.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #806 on: July 04, 2019, 04:16:33 PM »
There is nothing dud or what I would call filler on this album.  It's fucking quality.

I agree, however, the closest songs that come to that are definitely Before the Winter (imo) and Holy Light. Strato's instrumentals tend to all blur together even for me but I think Stratosphere and Stratofortress are the definitive instruments. But everything else on this album is just... holy shit.

Agree, Before the Winter is close but I still quite like it.  I like Timo's improv in Holy Light too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #807 on: July 04, 2019, 04:33:45 PM »
Man, speaking of Tolkki, that Paradise solo is so damn good. That parts at 2:45 and 3:00 are wonderfully catchy. His sense for melody was (is?) incredibly good. Shredding is one thing, being able to incorporate melody and emotion into that is something totally different.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #808 on: July 05, 2019, 12:32:12 AM »
His octave bent tapped note thingy in that solo is fucking class.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Katt's Top 50 Albums v. Sometimes we need to be cruel to be kind [#21]
« Reply #809 on: July 05, 2019, 07:47:43 AM »
SONATA ARCTICA
RECKONING NIGHT

Power Metal

released October 11th, 2004 via Nuclear Blast

1. Misplaced [4:42]
2. Blinded No More [5:33]
3. Ain’t Your Fairytale [5:26]
4. Reckoning Day, Reckoning Night… [3:21]
5. Don’t Say A Word [5:49]
6. The Boy Who Wanted To Be A Real Puppet [4:44]
7. My Selene [5:28]
8. Wildfire [4:36]
9. White Pearl, Black Oceans… [8:47]
10. Shamandalie [4:04]

RECKONING NIGHT is

Tony Kakko (Vocals)
Jani Liimatainen (Guitars)
Marko Paasikoski (Bass)
Tommy Portimo (Drums)
Henrik Klingenberg (Keyboards)

WITH

Nik Van-Eckmann (Male voice on 5, 8, 9)

Every second of this record is great. Tony’s lyricism is arguably at its most concise and polished on this record; where on later albums he would get even more ambitious and adventurous, each record would get more and more inconsistent with some bizarre lyrical choices. Reckoning Night comes just within an inch of that dangerous line some power metal bands walk when they start to get bored with the style they’ve come to have associated with their band – it has its moments where it flirts with the adventurous and curious experimentation that would explode in prominence on Unia, but it never crosses that line to befuddle the listener.

And it’s in those moments where the record shines brightest; “The Boy Who Wanted To Be A Real Puppet” is in hindsight so obviously a blinking red light showing where Tony wanted to take the band, a fantastic tale whose title says it all. “White Pearl, Black Oceans” is the epic of the album and goes through multiple changes, glued together by a commanding, theatrical vocal performance from Tony and one of power metal’s finest choruses that gets slightly altered and darker as the song progresses. “Don’t Say A Word” is another chapter in a multi-song saga about a woman and her psychotic stalker. “Wildfire” is an almost power-thrash type of song with some proggy vocal sections that would later balloon into a trilogy about the overall conflict between humanity and nature. And “Ain’t Your Fairytale” is the token wolf song, about teaching and learning from younger and older generations and knowing who you are. It’s in these songs that Sonata Arctica proves power metal can follow the traditional, predictable formula and still be original and compelling as anything else.

For some people, reinventing the wheel is a necessity in order to stay interested in creating music, particularly if it’s the method through which you earn your money. For a lot of consumers, they aren’t comfortable with that change, and that’s no better seen than in the Sonata Arctica fanbase. There’s a lot to be said about Sonata Arctica and the direction they took after this album, and especially after Unia, but one thing almost every fan can agree on is that Reckoning Night is an uncontested classic and one of the best albums the genre’s ever seen.

In Summary: While the music itself is more or less power metal, it’s Tony’s lyricism and masterful command of melody that makes this album such a delight to listen to. He’s one of the genre’s better storytellers and lyricists and really is the star here, although there are some keyboard and guitar solos that really let Henrik and Jani shine respectively. It’s an album any power metal fan needs to listen to, it’s an album I’d argue most metalheads should in fact listen to. It’s damn near flawless. I’ve also had Shamandalie stuck in my head for well over a decade – it’s one of my go-to songs when I just want to hum or sing a melody.

Katt’s Favorites: Ain’t Your Fairytale, Don’t Say A Word (music video), The Boy Who Wanted To Be A Real Puppet, My Selene, Wildfire, White Pearl, Black Oceans…

Listen to “Reckoning Night” by Sonata Arctica on Spotify

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. Sometimes we need to be cruel to be kind [#21]
« Reply #810 on: July 05, 2019, 09:15:24 AM »
I got Don't Say A Word (from Kade? maybe Lowdz) in my 2nd roulette, and loved it.  last.fm confirms I went back to the album a few times, but it obviously fell off my radar.  Gonna squirrel this one away to replay again.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #811 on: July 05, 2019, 09:31:51 AM »
Never actually listened to this album or any songs from it (that I can recall at least). The sound in the music video for Dont Say a Word is terrible  :lol but Im listening to the other songs.  So far, kind of just like the rest of SA to me.  I don't love it, I don't hate it.  Not sure I am liking this more than Ecliptica though, I am feeling more and more strongly that that album is probably the only one of theirs I'll truly enjoy and even saying that, it's not like I love that album.  I can see why you'd like this, it's got more style to it than the first two albums from the couple songs I just listened to.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #812 on: July 05, 2019, 09:50:02 AM »
I think Tony's lyrics are so much more mature and captivating on Reckoning Night than on Ecliptica, that's one reason I love it so much.

Every night, I returned to watch them - the master and the puppet in the show
He said, "Oh no, I cannot sell him - priceless he is, masterpiece of mine"
Please, sell me your puppet, sir; name your price, oh please, whatever you may ask, tenfold the price I'll pay
"Did I not make it clear? This debate is over; I will never part from this puppet, my son"
With hungry eyes, I followed them all night, the blind master and the puppet he had made
"No, sir, to sell is not my will!" - the doll is mine, even if I have to kill...

then the dumb boy gets turned into a puppet

It's so hard to remember my life, the times before the show
Can I ever cut off the strings? "Take a bow, now dance and sing!"
Would you turn me into a child again? "No, never; I am your guide"
You can see a small grin on the face of the master when the puppet's in his place
Be careful of what you wish for - wishes might come alive
The twines are pulling me every day and night
The show, the glitter, and all the fame, I'd give away for a life
Some things can end with a word, they say
This only ends with a sharp knife

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #813 on: July 05, 2019, 12:09:06 PM »
Yeah, another  good album here.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #814 on: July 05, 2019, 03:11:52 PM »
I should really check these albums out.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #815 on: July 05, 2019, 03:40:21 PM »
Yeah, this is a good one too.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #816 on: July 05, 2019, 04:29:33 PM »
I should really check these albums out.

You should. :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #817 on: July 05, 2019, 04:40:03 PM »
When is Hammerfall going to be listed?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #818 on: July 05, 2019, 04:53:20 PM »

When I do Katt's Top 50 Worst Metal Bands. Hammerfall blows.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #819 on: July 05, 2019, 04:57:42 PM »

:lol

Legacy Of Kings made my Top 50!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #820 on: July 05, 2019, 05:03:58 PM »

I'm not surprised, a lot of power metal fans also love that album. It's not bad, it just doesn't keep my interest. I like Hammerfall's early records more than their later stuff which is just painful. And I'll take HF any day over Manowar.  :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #821 on: July 05, 2019, 05:08:05 PM »
Did someone say Manowar?!?! HAIL!!!  :|
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #822 on: July 05, 2019, 05:08:19 PM »
FAIL!!  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #823 on: July 05, 2019, 05:08:37 PM »
Hammerfall has been really hit or miss. Mostly miss. In the late 90's I was looking for a new band. I planned on buying a new CD for a trip to Florida. I sampled Hammerfall, Stratovarius, and Symphony X. I ultimately bought LOK. I loved it. It has the great nod to 80's metal. That album is like Saxon, Accept, Helloween, and Dokken all rolled into one. If Joquin Cans sang for Strato, I'd probably like them a lot more too.

I bought Battle Hymns when it came out in the early 80's. I think I bought their first three albums before I lost interest.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #824 on: July 05, 2019, 06:28:36 PM »
Listening to Visions now. I know I have a downloaded copy of this.

It costs a damn fortune on Amazon.

Yeah, I'm good. I think you either like Kotipelto's voice or you don't. I also feel like I want them to be a bit heavier. This band just will not stick with me.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 06:34:24 PM by TAC »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #825 on: July 06, 2019, 04:38:31 AM »

Amazing power metal album.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #826 on: July 06, 2019, 09:05:38 AM »

Amazing power metal album.

Hammerfall was more interesting live than SA, IMO but I was never able to really get into them.  They are supporting Sabaton this fall so I'll see both bands as support acts again and get another taste.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Katt's Top 50 Albums v. A thousand dreams you gave to me [#20]
« Reply #827 on: July 08, 2019, 09:01:25 AM »
ENYA
DARK SKY ISLAND

New Age / Celtic / Easy Listening

released November 20th, 2015 via Warner Music

1. The Humming… [3:42]
2. So I Could Find My Way [4:25]
3. Even in the Shadows [4:13]
4. The Forge of the Angels [5:12]
5. Echoes in Rain [3:33]
6. I Could Never Say Goodbye [3:28]
7. Dark Sky Island [4:56]
8. Sancta Maria [3:50]
9. Astra et Luna [3:20]
10. The Loxian Gate [3:33]
11. Diamonds on the Water [3:33]

DARK SKY ISLAND is

Eithne Pádraigín Ní Bhraonáin as Enya (Vocals / Instrumentation / Mixer)
Eddie Lee (Double bass on 3)
Roma Ryan (Lyrics / Loxian language)

Trivia: The name of this album refers to the island of Sark in the southwestern English Channel. In 2011, Sark was designated the first ‘Dark Sky Island’ in the world, where light pollution is banned. Cars are also banned from the roads there.

Dark Sky Island is my favorite Enya album, which says something because I love all her music. It was her first proper album in 7 years, with the misfortune of being released on the same day as Adele’s 25, but was still successful selling over 900k copies worldwide. It’s got the familiar songwriting style Enya’s known for, but extremely polished and refined until it shines like a star. You’ll find no dark side of the emotional spectrum on this record – only comfort and pleasure.

There are a couple themes at work here; journeys through the mind, heart, and soul are explored on songs like “So I Could Find My Way,” “Even in the Shadows,” “Echoes in Rain,” and “I Could Never Say Goodbye.” But then there’s the theme of celestial locales and the beauty of the human spirit, like “The Humming…,” “The Forge of the Angels,” “Dark Sky Island,” “Sancta Maria,” “Astra et Luna,” and “The Loxian Gate.”

Roma Ryan’s concept of Loxian, her fictional language, essentially comes from her hippie-dippie approach to telling the story of the Loxians, future descendants of the Celts who leave Earth and pass the red star Aldebaran in search of a new home. “The Forge of the Angels” tells of this journey in brief but beautiful Loxian script.

Sometimes I’ve listened to this album at the gym or work and have started choking up big time. “So I Could Find My Way” is about Roma Ryan’s mother, if I remember correctly, and that song hits me in the heart because it’s all about a parents’ love to their child and all they’ve prepared them for in life. “I Could Never Say Goodbye” is in a similar vein. Both songs are tearjerkers for me and I should probably only play them when I cut onions from now on.

In Summary: Sancta Maria is one of the most gorgeous pieces of music I’ve ever heard. If you want peace, you got it – Enya’s signature rise-and-fall, ebb-and-flow rhythmic patterns and waltz time are all over this album, as they usually are. But there’s a sophistication to this album, a polish and sparkling beauty to it that isn’t quite so perceivable on her older albums. Ironically there is almost no hint of darkness on this album, save for the brief ominous nature of “The Humming…” – after that, it’s heavenly light and the warm embrace of someone who just wants you to feel comfortable and at ease. Enya isn’t for everyone but for me she’s just the best. It never overstays its welcome either; at under 45 minutes it is easy to play the whole record front to back in one sitting. I listen to this record all the time and it’s so wonderful to hear when you just want the stress of the day to go away.

Katt’s Favorites: So I Could Find My Way (music video), Even in the Shadows (Live at Good Day New York), The Forge of the Angels, Echoes in Rain (music video), Sancta Maria

Listen to “Dark Sky Island” by Enya on Spotify

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Katt's Top 50 Albums v. Sometimes I wanna sleep in the street [#19]
« Reply #828 on: July 08, 2019, 01:01:21 PM »
CHROMA KEY
YOU GO NOW

Ambient / Electronic / Chill

released November 14th, 2000 via Fight Evil Records

1. Get Back in the Car [5:04]
2. Another Permanent Address [5:05]
3. Nice to Know [4:30]
4. Lunar [3:14]
5. When You Drive [5:26]
6. Subway [4:23]
7. Please Hang Up [1:59]
8. Astronaut Down [4:36]
9. You Go Now [4:56]

YOU GO NOW is

Kevin Moore (Vocals / Keyboards / Bass)
David Iscove (Guitars)
Steve Tushar (Programming / Additional guitars & keyboards)

Oh, this is just a lovely record, pensive and dreamy and full of that delightful Kevin Moore magic.

In my senior year of high school the faculty finally allowed us to listen to our MP3 players during class downtime and lunch. So I spent most of that year playing this album when I could, because I found it early in the school year. I had computer classes at the end of every day, so I always ended the day listening to this record before going to work. There’s something extremely soothing about this record, doubly so in the winter months when the sun begins to hang low and add that magic of the late afternoon sunlight to the sounds of this record.

Although You Go Now lacks a song like “Undertow” or “On the Page” from Dead Air For Radios, another spectacular record, You Go Now is a bit more consistent in both quality and its mood. It’s got this slick electronic texture and set of beats that almost sounds primitive 19 years on, with kind of a thick snare sound in the drums, but I like it, and think it adds to the music rather than takes away. “When You Drive” is almost creepy with all the samples of Indian dialogue and what sounds like an Indian language being sung by a little girl? I’ve never been quite able to tell. “Astronaut Down,” “Subway,” and “Lunar” all have some pretty cool beats, whereas “Get Back in the Car” and “Nice to Know” and “When You Drive” are all slower, a bit darker, almost sickly.

Kevin Moore’s voice doesn’t go through much range, but it shines on songs like “Nice to Know” with its dark, inquisitive melody, and “Another Permanent Address” on which he sounds almost apathetic and broken, but fully aware of what a shitty situation the character of the song is in. It’s probably the catchiest song on the record, and it’s also my favorite.

You Go Now ends with the title track, a five-minute instrumental carried by a simple, pretty piano melody and some odd synth flourishes dancing over a basic electronic drum beat. I love this track, even if it is a little long, because of the warm sound of the piano and how much reverb seems to be on it. Great track.

In Summary: I think this is Kevin Moore’s magnum opus, and for 10 years I’ve been obsessed with it. I can enjoy this in any situation, any time of day, in any mood. There’s so much good music here, and I agree with almost all of KevMo’s melodic choices here. The lyrics are really good and serve the music well, and I’ve always enjoyed what he does with samples in his music. Dead Air For Radios comes close but You Go Now is my freaking jam, man. LOVE it.

Katt’s Favorites: Another Permanent Address, Nice to Know, When You Drive, Astronaut Down, You Go Now

Listen to “You Go Now” by Chroma Key on Spotify

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. Sometimes I wanna sleep in the street [#19]
« Reply #829 on: July 08, 2019, 01:05:21 PM »
I like stuff like Enigma and Amethystium and Gregorian, so sure, I'll check out this Enya album.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #830 on: July 08, 2019, 01:06:24 PM »
I like stuff like Enigma and Amethystium and Gregorian, so sure, I'll check out this Enya album.

I also highly recommend you checking out some of her earlier more famous songs if you aren't familiar with them: Only Time, Orinoco Flow, Caribbean Blue, Trains and Winter Rains, Wild Child...

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #831 on: July 08, 2019, 01:08:07 PM »
I probably am familiar with some of them. Enya is pretty popular here and I'm sure I've heard a few songs at parties (some of them sounded like Enya alright). I'll give those a shot.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #832 on: July 08, 2019, 01:34:40 PM »
 :corn

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #833 on: July 08, 2019, 02:44:15 PM »
Wow, Enya haha.  Would never have expected that.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #834 on: July 08, 2019, 02:59:57 PM »
Enya... I have nothing to add, it's just not for me

I've never actually listened to Chroma Key until right now, I definitely loved KM's value to DT, but I think I always just assumed based on what I heard about his other music, that I wouldn't like it, and well, I don't hate it  :biggrin: I actually think it's pretty decent, only listened to Another Permanent Address and Nice to Know so far.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #835 on: July 08, 2019, 03:01:48 PM »
I posted 2 because I know almost nobody here cares about Enya.  :lol Sad but true.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #836 on: July 08, 2019, 03:10:18 PM »
I posted 2 because I know almost nobody here cares about Enya.  :lol Sad but true.

I figured  :rollin

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #837 on: July 08, 2019, 03:48:50 PM »
I had a hard time getting into "you go now". I really liked "dead air for radios" though.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #838 on: July 08, 2019, 03:55:05 PM »
:corn

TAC, are you still looking for the good stuff? :D
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #839 on: July 08, 2019, 04:16:34 PM »
Nah, it's all good.  :)

Seems to be a generational thing with these bands, but I definitely appreciate it.