Author Topic: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. I bless the rains down in Africa [#1]  (Read 66808 times)

Online NoseofNicko

Re: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. It's never over til the fat lady sings [#26]
« Reply #735 on: June 27, 2019, 12:20:08 PM »
I actually own Unia but never listened to it. Today is gonna be the day I change that.

Online pg1067

« Reply #736 on: June 27, 2019, 01:14:44 PM »
pg, your posts about Ayreon have me curious about your musical taste, familiarity with prog, favorite musicians etc. Just curious, nothing more. At least you're giving it a try.

Let's put it this way:  I have virtually no familiarity with any artists/bands from continental Europe (including Scandinavia) other than Scorpions, Helloween and Accept (and Accept was only a blip on my radar in the mid-80s).  I also once downloaded an album by Lacuna Coil (they're Italian, right?) because I heard and liked the song "Spellbound."  I'm sure as soon as I click "post" I'll think of someone else.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #737 on: June 27, 2019, 01:17:26 PM »
pg, your posts about Ayreon have me curious about your musical taste, familiarity with prog, favorite musicians etc. Just curious, nothing more. At least you're giving it a try.

Let's put it this way:  I have virtually no familiarity with any artists/bands from continental Europe (including Scandinavia) other than Scorpions, Helloween and Accept (and Accept was only a blip on my radar in the mid-80s).  I also once downloaded an album by Lacuna Coil (they're Italian, right?) because I heard and liked the song "Spellbound."  I'm sure as soon as I click "post" I'll think of someone else.

Wow! You are so missing out. Most of the artists in this list are European.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 01:22:30 PM by Kattelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #738 on: June 27, 2019, 01:22:30 PM »

Heck, the majority of my music these days comes from overseas. There's not a lot of US artists that excite me lately.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #739 on: June 27, 2019, 05:48:09 PM »

Heck, the majority of my music these days comes from overseas. There's not a lot of US artists that excite me lately.
Pretty much this for me too.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline 425

« Reply #740 on: June 27, 2019, 06:20:07 PM »
Yeah, I'd third that, now that I think about it.

I definitely will give this album a try. I think I was pretty harsh on My Dream's But a Drop of Fuel for a Nightmare in my roulette, but I will say that the song definitely interested me even if it didn't meet my taste exactly, so I want to hear what else is going on here.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #741 on: June 27, 2019, 06:20:50 PM »
 :corn
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #742 on: June 28, 2019, 05:34:39 AM »
Unia is a fucking masterpiece.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #743 on: June 28, 2019, 06:56:02 AM »
I listened to a few songs from Unia and like that a little better than the typical Sonata Arctica sound.  So that's progress!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #744 on: June 28, 2019, 07:05:03 AM »
Finally something I *know*! I'm not the biggest fan of Sonata Arctica nor I know everything they did (I don't know more than know) but I love debut and Unia. On my surprise, Unia is getting pretty low scores in online communities like rym and I can't fathom why tbh, it's much more original than some other stuff I heard.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #745 on: June 28, 2019, 07:58:59 AM »
Finally something I *know*! I'm not the biggest fan of Sonata Arctica nor I know everything they did (I don't know more than know) but I love debut and Unia. On my surprise, Unia is getting pretty low scores in online communities like rym and I can't fathom why tbh, it's much more original than some other stuff I heard.

Unia gets bashed because it's not a solid power metal release. When Unia came out, it was 3 years after their fourth balls-to-the-wall power metal album - Sonata was known for its duelling guitar/keyboard solos, double bass drumming, catchy vocal melodies in both verses and choruses, and just traditional, Stratovarius-style, Helloween-inspired power metal. Unia has basically nothing that people listened to Sonata for, so to this day it's still a black sheep in the family. I remember hearing it for the first time in 2007 and just being stunned at what I was hearing. It was as if they took the song "The Boy Who Wanted To Be A Real Puppet" from Reckoning Night and decided that was the direction to take the band in, only exponentially more bizarre. It's much more original, but that's not what some ignorant power metal fans want, they just want Sonata to play the same style of music they started playing, which was aping Stratovarius. Oh well. Some people still want Tarja in Nightwish, too, can't change their minds I guess.

EDIT: To be clear I'm not saying that everybody who dislikes Unia is ignorant - instead, I'm saying that those people who can't accept Sonata evolving and pursuing a different style, and continue begging for songs like "Full Moon" and "Black Sheep" are ignorant.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 08:09:49 AM by Kattelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #746 on: June 28, 2019, 11:54:40 AM »
So, when are the good albums showing up?

:vomitard:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #747 on: June 28, 2019, 12:18:58 PM »
Well, only 11 of the remaining 25 aren't power metal, so whenever we get to one of them :neverusethis:

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #748 on: June 28, 2019, 12:38:50 PM »
Well, only 11 of the remaining 25 aren't power metal, so whenever we get to one of them :neverusethis:

Are those post rock then?  :biggrin:

And for Unia being different, it sure is and I respect that a lot from any band to change their sound.  It just didn't click with me and that was my first album so it wasn't about "oh they aren't doing that power metal thing" for me, but for their fanbase as a whole, it makes sense if you felt that way. 

Kind of how everyone wanted DT to do something different, so they make TA and then half the fans hate it.  I give respect to DT for trying something new and it worked for me, but I know it didnt' for everyone.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #749 on: June 28, 2019, 01:12:06 PM »
I'm expecting no less than three Kiss albums, two Rush albums, and one Maiden album.  It's going to get good quick.  :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #750 on: June 28, 2019, 01:28:01 PM »
Oh, my sweet summer children. #25 coming in hot, and I'll let you all wallow in your despair.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Katt's Top 50 Albums v. Two trailer park girls go round the outside [#25]
« Reply #751 on: June 28, 2019, 01:38:16 PM »
EMINƎM
THE EMINEM SHOW
Rap

released May 26th, 2002 via Aftermath

1. Curtains Up (skit) [0:30]
2. White America [5:24]
3. Business [4:11]
4. Cleanin’ Out My Closet [4:57]
5. Square Dance [5:23]
6. The Kiss (skit) [1:15]
7. Soldier [3:46]
8. Say Goodbye Hollywood [4:32]
9. Drips (feat. Obie Trice) [4:45]
10. Without Me [4:50]
11. Paul Rosenberg (skit) [:22]
12. Sing for the Moment [5:39]
13. Superman (feat. Dina Rae) [5:50]
14. Hailie’s Song [5:20]
15. Steve Berman (skit) [:33]
16. When the Music Stops (feat. D12) [4:29]
17. Say What You Say (feat. Dr. Dre) [5:09]
18. ‘Till I Collapse (feat. Nate Dogg) [4:57]
19. My Dad’s Gone Crazy (feat. Hailie Jade) [4:27]
20. Curtains Close (skit) [1:01]

THE EMINEM SHOW is

Marshall Mathers as Eminem (All vocals and lyrics / Production on all tracks except 3, 17, 20)
Dr. Dre (Producer on 3, 17, 20
Jeff Bass (Co-producer on 2, 4, 5, 10, 12, 13)
DJ Head (Co-producer on 10
Denaun Porter (Co-producer on 16)

WITH

a bunch of other rappers and producers ya’ll don’t care about

Hear me out… This is one of the best selling albums of the 2000s, and Eminem himself was the best-selling artist of the decade. There's some good shit here, please don't dismiss it straight out the gate.

I love this album. I got into it before I really got big on rock and metal. I will always love this album and know almost every song by heart. But why? Amazing (if a little dated) beats. Raw vocal energy from Eminem. Awesome rhymes, awesome lyrics, just some really cool lyrical shenanigans throughout the whole album. Yes it’s offensive, yes it’s mean, yes it’s angry – that’s a big reason I love it. I appreciate learning a lot about who Eminem is as a person (Mathers) and artist (Eminem/Slim Shady) through this record, as well as what he was going through around this time. And although it’s super dated now, the political lyrics in songs like “White America” and “Square Dance” are cool as hell in my opinion.

Before I go on, there are a couple low points. “Drips” and “My Dad’s Gone Crazy” aren’t good. They’re pretty horrible actually. I don’t listen to them often, if ever (especially “Drips” which is just gnarly).

The lines on this album might not be as rhythmically advanced or strong as the chopper-style flows Eminem developed later in his career, but the rhymes are strong all the same, and there’s a lot of the foundation here for the wordplay he’d continue to grow over the years. Some say his lyrics were harder and stronger on Infinite and The Marshall Mathers LP but I disagree; the lyrics on The Eminem Show are more creative, flow better, they’re smarter, and Eminem’s delivery is much stronger and sounds a lot less hokey than on a lot of the MMLP stuff. Oh, and Aerosmith is sampled on “Sing for the Moment” which is huge. Another one of the album’s highlights, discussing the effect rappers and hip-hop culture on kids. Great song, great use of sampling with a classic rock song.

I guess it's also because I was only 10 when 9/11 happened, and I discovered this album shortly afterwards, that this album has stuck with me. Songs like "Square Dance" and "White America" and "Without Me" all bring me back to my childhood, strangely, to life-altering events at that young age. And then just getting into the rest of the record after that cemented it as really influential and powerful for me. At the time I thought I shouldn't be listening to such offensive stuff, but later on I realized there's a whole lot of rock and metal about drugs and violence soooo, y'know, art and all that.

In Summary: I’m not a rap fan, generally speaking. I only like a very few select rap albums. But I grew up with this, and I still listen to it a lot, and Eminem as an artist is just incredible and I really respect and admire his work. These are just really fun songs to listen to and several of them are pretty awesome gym tunes. Don’t bother listening if you are easily offended or aren’t open to rap. Thankfully there’s only one song on this record which has Eminem singing, but at least it’s not autotuned to hell like his later attempts at singing are.

Katt’s Favorites: White America, Business, Cleanin’ Out My Closet (music video), Square DanceWhen the Music Stops, Say What You Say, ‘Till I Collapse

Listen to “The Eminem Show” by Eminem on Spotify

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
You know what?  I don't listen to it much, because I just have other stuff I grab for first, and some of the background melodies are too light for me, but that guy is a talent.  He's got a wonderful tone to his voice, and an excellent way of building and releasing tension with both the words and the tempo.  It's enjoyable to listen to his art, even if I don't always connect with it (I just don't have that anger, for better or worse.  I just don't.) 

I got no beef with this here (though that just means the three Kiss albums, two Rush albums and one Maiden album are higher up). 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I've got no problem with non-traditional genre's cracking the top albums of anyone's lifetime - again, just check mine.  Shania Twain and No Doubt crack my top 50.

But this (rap) is a hard pass for me.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I once terrified an ex-girlfriend by proving my love for Eminem by rapping along to some of the songs on here off the cuff and I'm pretty sure that played a part in her leaving me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
I've got no problem with non-traditional genre's cracking the top albums of anyone's lifetime - again, just check mine.  Shania Twain and No Doubt crack my top 50.

Haha, I read that fast and thought you wrote "No Doubt".   

Wait... 

Uh...

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

Wait... 

Uh...

Go dig up my Top 50 thread.  For my liking, that albums is the tits, man.  5* top to bottom.

Serious as a heart attack.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
I once terrified an ex-girlfriend by proving my love for Eminem by rapping along to some of the songs on here off the cuff and I'm pretty sure that played a part in her leaving me.

My daughter freaked me out like that.  My step son was big into Eminem (he's moved on to southern rock now; we bond over Lynyrd Skynyrd; I gained a shit ton of respect when I whipped off "Simple Man" on my guitar for him and his son) and started singing it as a joke, and my daughter joined in like she wrote it.   WTF?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

Wait... 

Uh...

Go dig up my Top 50 thread.  For my liking, that albums is the tits, man.  5* top to bottom.

Serious as a heart attack.

I'm just pokin' fun.  I'm on the list to give mine soon, and I have a couple albums like that.  All good, I just wasn't expecting to see that there (though it's not on my list).   

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Never was a No Doubt fan but I do like that kind of music

and also, i like having shit not metal come up in this because it shows more well roundedness and these albums from your past shape what you enjoy in the future. 

I actually really respect Eminem.  I feel he's one of the best rappers out there, but my knowledge and experience of that music is very limited to say that, but I say it because I can tolerate his music moreso than more rap. 

I don't have an issue with rapping, some guys can swing awesome lines and melody to their rap singing.  What I don't like are the beats.  I'm a guitar, drums, and bass guy.  I need a band playing instruments.  I've never been able to get into rap because of what feels like the non musical part of it.  Yes it's music, but often taking other peoples beats, using sound machines, just looping the same thing over and over.  I'm not a fan.

I saw Lupe Fiasco last summer (the only rap set I think I've ever seen live) and his singing was great.  Loved him, himself, but he had a DJ just piping in all the music and it wasn't anything special overall.  I did search on youtube and he did a concert with a full band and it was awesome. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
What's funny, cram, is that Eminem has gone on record as saying he wanted to capture the spirit of rock on this record. There's some moments where there actually is a guitar - Sing for the Moment has a guitar solo, for example, but the tone leaves a lot to be desired for a metal/rock fan - and the drum beats on this are sometimes very much like a rock record. (I find the repetition comment curious because repetition is a fundamental quality of music, although the intent is far different in rap versus rock and metal, certainly)

Kendrick Lamar's album To Pimp A Butterfly is really worth checking out. "For Free?" has him rapping over literal jazz music, that seems like something you could appreciate.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I think I've seen a few people here mention Kendrick Lamar is actually really good.  I haven't checked him out but I could see that being cool.

When I think about rap as a style of singing though, I often think about bands like 311 who are one of my favorites who have a lot of rap influence in their music, but its always over guitar/bass and I absolutely love it. So how can I shit on rap itself? It just comes down to the music really for me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I want to make a comment but I have no idea what I want to say. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

In all seriousness, if that is true, good riddance man letting loose like that should be rejoiced. 

I can rap 311's "Hive" song no problem, if any girl is going to walk away from that well she aint for me  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

In all seriousness, if that is true, good riddance man letting loose like that should be rejoiced. 

I can rap 311's "Hive" song no problem, if any girl is going to walk away from that well she aint for me  :lol

Yeah she was mortified but even then I was like, so the fuck what, I like Eminem, big deal. My mantra is you should NEVER be ashamed of what you like listening to. If you can't have fun...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah can't comment on this one.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
NEVER be ashamed of what you like listening to. If you can't have fun...
Truer words have never been spoken :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
NEVER be ashamed of what you like listening to. If you can't have fun...
Truer words have never been spoken :metal

Except for these:

Yeah can't comment on this one.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Eminem is good jams dawg

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns