Author Topic: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. I bless the rains down in Africa [#1]  (Read 66850 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I call it mid tempo mumbo jumbo.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
"Greatest Hits" generally translates to "Most Boring".

I put it in quotes because it isn't really a "Greatest Hits," but I do feel it is as good a representation of the material as possible in a 3CD set. But you are just being argumentative now :p
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lethean

Look, 01 has some great highs, but on the flipside, some equally 'great' lows.  Add the issues with the quantity and crowded nature of the vocalists, and it's just middle of the pack in the Arjen discog (for me).  I think it's pretty clear that THE is the consensus #1; ITEC #2 - just look at the full-album shows that Arjen has (is) put(ting) out.  I would've thought the Universal Migrator albums would be 3a/3b, then The Source/01 ??

Yeah the consensus is that THE is the favorite followed by ITEC (which I actually do like a lot, it's my #2), but the prog world also goes gaga for stupid fucking SFAM and Threshold who has - Lethean, look away - made a decades-long career out of the same variation of a half-dozen crappy midtempo mechanical riffs so I doubt the larger community's taste. *takes Denis Leary sized drag of cigarette* :loser: Any excuse to bag on Threshold, I take.

Aside from there being no reason to bring Threshold into this...  That doesn't even make any sense.  I would love it if the "prog world" or the "larger community" was crazy about Threshold.  Maybe if they were, they would have done at least a small US tour by now.  I doubt that the much of the larger community even knows who they are.  This forum isn't representative of all prog fans, but I imagine it's the biggest prog metal forum out there or at least one of them.  There are lots of bands that get way more attention than Threshold.  I'm sure one of those bands that actually are beloved by "the larger community" doesn't appeal to you and would perhaps make a better example.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
I knew that would strike a nerve. I apologize.  :lol

When I refer to the larger community I'm not talking about DTF. RYM, progarchives, Facebook, I see tons of love for em. Also, I'm trying to troll Chad a little in good fun.  :lol

But I'll admit that was a little harsh, so I'm sorry, again. All meant to be in the spirit of fun trash talk.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
there's no good music at all according to RYM

Offline 425

I've gotta say, I'm not super in touch with the broader prog community, but I read DTF, occasionally browse Sputnik and RYM, and follow /r/progmetal on reddit and I see very little attention paid to Threshold on any of those places.

As one anecdote, I literally had not heard of Threshold at all before Leth sent them in my roulette, so... really they don't seem to me to be very known at all?
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah Tim, Bruce is fantastic on his song.  Check it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
I cannot fathom how someone can praise the boring THE but say there's nothing memorable on 01011001. You and Chad are so broken!  :biggrin:

Nah... I know 01011001's a minority favorite... but god it's so so so much better than any of the other Ayreon albums to me. Wish more people viewed it the way I do so I could have someone to share the praise with. Same with Poetry... same with a lot of other albums really...  :lol

Who's left? I'm waiting for Evermind to tell me how wrong I am. Then we're complete.  :lol

I agree 100% with this. THE is quite boring. This album on the other hand has some really fun songs. And Hansi  :heart
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I've gotta say, I'm not super in touch with the broader prog community, but I read DTF, occasionally browse Sputnik and RYM, and follow /r/progmetal on reddit and I see very little attention paid to Threshold on any of those places.

As one anecdote, I literally had not heard of Threshold at all before Leth sent them in my roulette, so... really they don't seem to me to be very known at all?

...or that good...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Don't tell me we're going to agree on something, TAC!!  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
11110000 is a very good record that has two problems:

It came after the superb Human Equation and it couldn't top that and it doesn't let the singers really shine. Gildenlöw and Catley especially aren't used to their potential.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

...or that good...

You're becoming the Kotowboy of GMD.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
:lol

I liked (and own) March of Progress and I still haven't heard Legends of the Shires. I think I'll fix this tomorrow.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

...or that good...

You're becoming the Kotowboy of GMD.

I don’t know what that means.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I bring another update full of disappointment and a big ol' middle finger to the anti-power metal crowd. I am ready for the hate. Say your worst.  :biggrin:

CAIN'S OFFERING
GATHER THE FAITHFUL

Melodic Power Metal

released August 27th, 2009 via Frontiers Records

1. My Queen of Winter [4:15]
2. More Than Friends [5:38]
3. Oceans of Regret [6:21]
4. Gather the Faithful (instrumental) [3:50]
5. Into the Blue [4:25]
6. Dawn of Solace [4:18]
7. Thorn In My Side [4:07]
8. Morpheus in a Masquerade [6:51]
9. Stolen Waters [4:35]
10. Elegantly Broken [2:46]

GATHER THE FAITHFUL is

Timo Kotipelto (Vocals)
Jani Liimatainen (Guitars / Additional keyboards / Programming / Backing and choir vocals)
Jukka Koskinen (Bass)
Jani Hurula (Drums)
Mikko Härkin (Keyboards)

WITH

Petri Aho (Backing and choir vocals)
Antti Railio (Backing and choir vocals)
Janne Hurme (Choir vocals on 2)

I said there were five Stratovarius albums on this list. Psych! This one is like an honorary Stratovarius or Sonata Arctica album; a perfect blend of pop and the special ingredient that made early Sonata Arctica so special – Jani Liimatainen's songwriting. This is a sugary, sickly sweet album – anybody who doesn't like the poppier side of power metal needs to stay far away from this. But for those who are into that sort of thing, or have a deep love of early Sonata Arctica and enjoy Timo Kotipelto's voice, this is a match made in heaven. It's sort of a litmus test of what kind of power metal you like to listen to this record.

It's almost too much at times, honestly - but I say go big or go home. All these other power metal bands try to be corny or pass themselves off as silly, but with Cain's Offering, Jani just leaned into this style hard as a motherfucker and I so appreciate that. I repeat, go big or go home. While early Sonata Arctica and peak Stratovarius had no shortage of catchy melodies and synthesizers, Cain's Offering takes all of that, jacks it up a few notches, and coats every song in a thick layer of lyrical corniness that will test even the biggest fan of “flower metal.” But the record radiates beauty and warmth, like in the ballad “Into the Blue” which shows Timo Kotipelto at one of his best moments in his entire post-Tolkki musical career, and the strings and pads create a soft, comforting sound to really sell the song.

“Morpheus in a Masquerade” is a sprawling melodic epic. I love this song for its many lyrics and how Timo carries the vocal melody. It never stops evolving and changing and building the tension. It's the most adventurous track on the record for sure. “Thorn In My Side” is another gem with a real catchy beat. Everything about this record is catchier than the flu, but this one is downright infectious. The synth patches chosen are light on their own, but they're cranked so high in the mix they add a certain peculiar strength to the songs. But of course that depends on how much you like synths...

And the final track, "Elegantly Broken," is just a delight. A really beautiful ballad. Love the piano.

In Summary: Any metalhead who doesn't like a lot of synths, smooth clean vocals, romantic lyrics, catchy melodies... well, they'll think this is an abomination. This record is for the purest of power metal fans, end of story, nobody else. This record is corny as hell. There's no denying it. But it's gorgeous, and I love gorgeous music. It's unabashedly happy and relishes in layers of poppy synths (I'm pretty sure that's a Microkorg on “Oceans of Regret”). But at the same time, it cranks the speed up to full-bore power metal. Timo Kotipelto's voice is in rare form and Jani's songwriting is a sound for sore ears who were turned off by post-Reckoning Night Sonata Arctica.

Also one of my biggest regrets is seeing Stratovarius right after this album came out and I left this album's booklet in my car and never got Timo Kotipelto to sign it. And Stratovarius hasn't been back for a tour since then.  :yeahright

Katt's Favorites: Into the Blue, Dawn of Solace, Thorn In My Side, Morpheus In A Masquerade, Elegantly Broken

Listen to "Gather the Faithful" by Cain's Offering on Spotify

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
It's better than Stormcrow, which is an average album at best, but not by much.  :mehlin
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
It's better than Stormcrow, which is an average album at best, but not by much.  :mehlin

When Gather the Faithful came out, I got myself a leaked copy, I think it was in June so it was way in advance, and I obsessed over it for months. It was literally the soundtrack to my '09 summer and it often reminds me of World of Warcraft grinding  :lol It still hits the sweet spot. Brings back so many good memories for me, and it's just awesome super catchy high energy power metal. I learned a lot of awesome synth parts from this album too and they're just a delight to play. I love the texture of the record. Stormcrow is hit and miss for me, about half the record is amazing, and the other half is not that good. I think this one is far better, although the classic power metal on Stormcrow is truly amazing.

Like I said, it's for the pure power metal fans... not many other people are gonna like it but it's a highly respected album in the power metal world!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 08:46:38 PM by Kattelox »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Never heard of them. Listened to Into the Blue. Thought it was great! Enjoyed Thorn In My Side too.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Aryeon - I like Star One better, so I have spent very, very little time with Ayreon.  I did check out a few records a number of months ago, including this one listed, so I need to spend some time digging into it again.

Cain's Offering - never heard of them, but do love The Dark Element record from a few years ago, plus Timo Kotipelto.  Need to give this one a listen too!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Hmmm had heard of this band but knew nothing of them, unlike the other power metal on your list so I am checking this out now and so far liking it.

Cain's Offering - never heard of them, but do love The Dark Element record from a few years ago, plus Timo Kotipelto.  Need to give this one a listen too!

so when I read this was poppy power metal, I thought "oh I like The Dark Element" so now seeing your comment I looked it up, it's the same guitarist and bassist as Cain's Offering, Jani!  :lol Maybe the first album you've sold me from the list.   :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I was excited for TDE but it disappointed me so much I never got through the whole thing. Perhaps I should try it again but I remember being very let down.

Glad people are checking this one out. It's probably my favorite 2009 record.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
This is a sugary, sickly sweet album – anybody who doesn't like the poppier side of power metal needs to stay far away from this. But for those who are into that sort of thing, or have a deep love of early Sonata Arctica and enjoy Timo Kotipelto's voice, this is a match made in heaven. It's sort of a litmus test of what kind of power metal you like to listen to this record.

Color me intrigued.  I have Stormcrow saved on Spotify, and enjoyed it quite a bit.  Not sure why I didn't go back and check this one out (Edit... seems I did, but I don't have much of a recollection of it - will spin later and see how it holds up).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I was excited for TDE but it disappointed me so much I never got through the whole thing. Perhaps I should try it again but I remember being very let down.

Glad people are checking this one out. It's probably my favorite 2009 record.

It's not as power metal as this is, my initial thoughts are TDE are more pop but I definitely hear lots of similarities.  Just finished listening to a lot of their music that kept playing on youtube.  I'll have to get the album and explore more.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Migrator_Part_2:_Flight_of_the_Migrator#Track_listing

I've heard of Bruce Dickinson.

HAHA, that made me laugh out loud.

I've gotten like three or four Ayreon songs in roulettes, and LOVED every one of them.  I went out and bought The Source, and it blew me away.  It's a little long - hard to sit through the whole thing - but it's the bomb diddley. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Really good album this one.  Stormcrow was decent but this one is much better.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :corn

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Katt's Top 50 Albums v. Algalord arise, greater than before [#29]
« Reply #656 on: June 24, 2019, 09:22:57 PM »
RHAPSODY
SYMPHONY OF ENCHANTED LANDS II:
THE DARK SECRET

Symphonic Power Metal

released September 27th, 2004 via Steamhammer

1. The Dark Secret (The Ancient Prophecy / Ira Divina) [4:12]
2. Unholy Warcry [5:53]
3. Never Forgotten Heroes [5:33]
4. Elgard's Green Valleys [2:19]
5. The Magic of the Wizard's Dream [4:30]
6. Erian's Mystical Rhymes (The White Dragon's Order) [10:32]
7. The Last Angels' Call [4:37]
8. Dragonland's Rivers [3:44]
9. Sacred Power of Raging Winds [10:07]
10. Guardiani del destino [5:51]
11. Shadows of Death [8:13]
12. Nightfall on the Grey Mountains [7:20]

SYMPHONY OF ENCHANTED LANDS II: THE DARK SECRET is

Fabio Lione (Vocals)
Luca Turilli (Lead guitars)
Patrice Guers (Bass)
Alex Holzwarth (Drums)
Alex Staropoli (Keyboards)

FEATURING

Dominique Leurquin (Rhythm guitars)
Sir Christopher Lee R.I.P. 2015 (Narration, as The Wizard King)
The Brno Academy Choir
The Bohuslav Martinů Philharmonic Orchestra

WITH

Toby Eddington (Narration, as Iras Algor)
Manuel Staropoli (Baroque recorder)
Johannes Monno (Classical guitars)
Thomas Rettke (Choirs)
Gerit Göbel (Choirs)
Miro Rodenberg (Choirs)
Robert Hunecke-Rizzo (Choirs)
Olaf Hayer (Choirs)
Cinzia Rizzo (Choirs)
Stefan Horz (Harpsichord)
Søren Leupold (Lute)
Paulina van Laarhoven (Viola)
Bridget Fogle (Soprano vocals / Choirs)
Previn Moore (Choirs)

"It was a good time for all creatures of the earth, but fate decreed that the dark prophecy of a demon knight could bring a tragic end to this peace, scarring their lives forever. Shortly before his defeat in the last of the primordial wars between the heavens and hells, the evil son of the Hell God Kron, known as Nekron, withdrew to his lair in the underworld. There, sensing his impending death he inscribed a testament of pure evil in seven black books. One by one six of these books were discovered through out the ages, however the seventh, last and most terrible of all contained the secret of his resurrection. He commanded seven immortal demons to carry out his dark plan – but they were turned into stone by the angels of the crystal realms. And so his dreams slept with them until a time came when the forces of evil would usurp the earth. Nekron would rule in the unholy name of cosmic chaos, and this time he would reign supreme.”

Go big or go home! Things this album has going for it: some of the best singing and range of Fabio Lione's entire career (“Erian's Mystical Rhymes” and “Guardiani del destino”), two of the best power metal guitar solos (“Unholy Warcry” and “Sacred Power of Raging Winds”), one of the best guitar-keyboard metal duels ever (“Shadows of Death”). This album's had a tremendous impact in the world of symphonic metal and although countless bands have tried to replicate the epic orchestrations and emulate the sounds of this album, very few have actually come close to doing that.

Symphony of Enchanted Lands II is the first chapter of Rhapsody's Dark Secret Saga. This stuff is awesome, man. The booklet contains a whole timeline, pages and pages of story. This album tells the story of a band of heroes in quest of a magical ancient tome which reveals the secrets to resurrecting the ancient dark lord Nekron, who would rule the world in blood and chaos for eternity. By the end of the journey, their fellowship (!) has formed, and they reach the edge of the freezing underworld of Dar-Kunor, which contains the ancient seventh black book. Sir Christopher Lee offers both narration (“Ira Divina”) and operatic singing (“The Magic of the Wizard's Dream”) as The Wizard King, as well.

It's arguably Rhapsody's heaviest album, because the orchestra adds such a terrific amount of power to the songs. “Erian's Mystical Rhymes” is mixed perfectly where the heavy metal band chugs clearly along, including the keyboards, yet the orchestra has enough room to breathe. The horns swell and crash like thunder, and the choirs cry like angels. Fabio's got enough range and power in his voice to sell his role as the commander of this sonic army, even getting into character as Dargor in “Sacred Power of Raging Winds” as he talks to his demon father Vankar during a blizzard in the mountains.

Classical music and power metal are a match made in heaven on this album. I adore the amount of choirs, flutes and recorders, and strings in action at any given moment. Love flutes? “Guardiani del destino,” “Elgard's Green Valleys,” “The Magic of the Wizard's Dream,” and “Sacred Power of Raging Winds” have you covered. “Sacred Power” actually has an amazing instrumental section containing a neoclassical guitar solo and a direct reference to a Vivaldi flute concerto played by a baroque recorder. Love huge brass swells and accents? “Shadows of Death,” “Unholy Warcry,” “Erian's Mystical Rhymes” are what you want. And good vocal parts? Can't pick a bad track on the record.

In Summary: This record is dope as fuck and you should listen to it because it's got some of the best orchestrations and musical variety I've ever heard on a metal record. I also think the Dark Secret Saga is just really epic especially after reading all the booklets. From a production standard this record sounds phenomenal, easily the best sounding Rhapsody album with some of their all-time best moments between keys, guitars, and vocals. Lots of bands utilizing an orchestra in their studio work owe a great deal to this record.

ALSO a massive shoutout to the incredible, late Sir Christopher Lee. He loved Rhapsody, and did so much narration from this record onward that they were able to use scrapped dialogue for a posthumous appearance on the latest Rhapsody record. He released 2 symphonic metal albums at the very end of his life, which is metal as fuck. R.I.P.

Katt's Favorites: The Dark Secret / Unholy Warcry ft. Sir Christopher Lee (music video), The Magic of the Wizard's Dream ft. Sir Christopher Lee (music video), Sacred Power of Raging Winds, Guardiani del destino, Shadows of Death

Listen to “Symphony of Enchanted Lands II: The Dark Secret” by Rhapsody on Spotify

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Re: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. Algalord arise, greater than before [#29]
« Reply #657 on: June 24, 2019, 10:19:04 PM »
Now THIS is a fantastic Power Metal album  :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #658 on: June 25, 2019, 01:03:42 AM »
Ok, I'm actually going to dive into this today! I need to actually sample some of these power metal albums and this sounds like a great place to start! I love metal accompanied by an orchestra so feeling confident about this one  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #659 on: June 25, 2019, 06:41:16 AM »
Sampling it so far and its pretty solid.  Maybe a bit over the top with everything, but I can tell what you mean by the orchestrations and how well it's used.  That's definitely really cool and Fabio sounds really good here. 

That's another solid discovery for me  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #661 on: June 25, 2019, 07:16:11 AM »
hmmm this sounds similar  :lol

https://youtu.be/DM6hL78so9c?t=383

to

https://youtu.be/oFff4GkOskM?t=305

That's the Vivaldi flute concerto that I mentioned in the writeup. I wasn't aware Nightwish used it too. Cool!!

Here's the original Vivaldi piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFfz2wyMvwE#t=2m38s

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #662 on: June 25, 2019, 07:16:35 AM »
I'm jamming this Rhapsody now....I still think I only need the first Symphony of Enchanted Lands, but this album is definitely equal to it.  I like the heavier sounding guitars, but Rhapsody just gets too samey sounding for me from album to album.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #663 on: June 25, 2019, 07:25:30 AM »
hmmm this sounds similar  :lol

https://youtu.be/DM6hL78so9c?t=383

to

https://youtu.be/oFff4GkOskM?t=305

That's the Vivaldi flute concerto that I mentioned in the writeup. I wasn't aware Nightwish used it too. Cool!!

Here's the original Vivaldi piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFfz2wyMvwE#t=2m38s

Yea, I love this  :metal I didn't make that connection from your write up, but knew it was from someone else when Nightwish did it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #664 on: June 25, 2019, 07:31:22 AM »
I'm jamming this Rhapsody now....I still think I only need the first Symphony of Enchanted Lands, but this album is definitely equal to it.  I like the heavier sounding guitars, but Rhapsody just gets too samey sounding for me from album to album.

I obviously strongly diagree with that last part but I'm glad you're digging this! :2metal: The Symphony albums are fucking bangers.

Cram, there's other classical references within Rhapsody too! "The Wizard's Last Rhymes" is based off of Dvorak's New World Symphony, there's a Chopin prelude tucked away within a solo on the song "Steelgods of the Last Apocalypse," and the album From Chaos To Eternity has two tracks based off Beethoven's sonata no. 1 in F minor. And more! :)