Author Topic: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. I bless the rains down in Africa [#1]  (Read 67900 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. One moment's high, and glory rolls on by [#41]
« Reply #315 on: June 12, 2019, 12:04:56 PM »
I don't agree, but, as it's taste, I do see your point with all but the title track.  That may be the quintessential Rush track of all time.   

Acoustic guitars?  Check!
Rocking guitars?  Check!
Furious bassline?  Check!
Ridiculous drum structure that both carries and elevates the song?  Check!
Good vocal?  Check!
Lyric that is both epic and personal at the same time?  Check!
Structure that sounds simply but is anything but?  Check!

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #316 on: June 12, 2019, 12:10:30 PM »
Rush is one of those bands that to me are so much better live than on the studio albums.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #317 on: June 12, 2019, 12:36:46 PM »
Welcome to Katt's Top 50 Most Disappointing Albums! Today's pick, "A Farewell To Kings" by Rush. Looking at the tracklist now. Title track? Freaking yawn. Xanadu? The best thing here, not bad, just too long, and not a great chorus (sue me). Closer to the Heart is inoffensive but I am just annoyed by it and sick of hearing it. Cinderella Man and Madrigal are boring. Cygnus is boring as well and too long. :neverusethis:

I know it's very popular and revered by most Rush fans. I just don't see why. It doesn't have much of anything I really love about the band. I want to like it but I can't.

It is the low point of the 2112-Moving Pictures run.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #318 on: June 12, 2019, 12:47:16 PM »
Atlanta 2020. I TRIPLE dog dare ya!  :lol

I quadruple dog dare you

Why wait that long?  I think jingle needs to come to Atlanta in 2019. :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #319 on: June 12, 2019, 01:16:19 PM »
Atlanta 2020. I TRIPLE dog dare ya!  :lol

I quadruple dog dare you

Why wait that long?  I think jingle needs to come to Atlanta in 2019. :)

Last we spoke about it I believe he was considering to see Pretty Maids, but I'm guessing with the move and all, this year is not happening.  But seriously, get your ass down there again Chad  :biggrin:  I assume you'll be back again too Lethean?  (Maybe I knew that from the progpower thread, but I forget).

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #320 on: June 12, 2019, 01:26:48 PM »
Welcome to Katt's Top 50 Most Disappointing Albums! Today's pick, "A Farewell To Kings" by Rush. Looking at the tracklist now. Title track? Freaking yawn. Xanadu? The best thing here, not bad, just too long, and not a great chorus (sue me). Closer to the Heart is inoffensive but I am just annoyed by it and sick of hearing it. Cinderella Man and Madrigal are boring. Cygnus is boring as well and too long. :neverusethis:

I know it's very popular and revered by most Rush fans. I just don't see why. It doesn't have much of anything I really love about the band. I want to like it but I can't.

If only all your writeups were this concise!  :neverusethis:

Last we spoke about it I believe he was considering to see Pretty Maids, but I'm guessing with the move and all, this year is not happening.  But seriously, get your ass down there again Chad  :biggrin:  I assume you'll be back again too Lethean?  (Maybe I knew that from the progpower thread, but I forget).

The bigger issue was me having aspirations of heading over to NL for Ayreon.  That's out now.  PPUSA I hadn't (re) thought of - aren't days 3/4 sold out?  I haven't been over to the PPUSA forums to see if there are any sellers yet.  It's a pretty decent lineup for my tastes.  hhmmmm ...
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #321 on: June 12, 2019, 01:34:30 PM »
If my writeups were concise here, I'd just make up for it in someone else's thread, and nobody wants that!  :lol Yeah I didn't expect you'd even have 2019 in consideration given your big move and all that. But it would be awesome if you showed up! Tickets for 3 and 4 are sold out but you'd still be able to find some I think, and days 1 and 2 haven't actually been selling that well... I'd check the PPUSA facebook group for sellers too.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Ruba

« Reply #322 on: June 12, 2019, 01:41:13 PM »
I'm not a big power metal guy, so there hasn't been much for me as for yet. Tom Waits and Arctic Monkeys could be interesting and seriously, people here don't know Arctic Monkeys (OK I believe Tim has never heard of them  :biggrin:)?

Power Windows is a mid-tier Rush album for me. Mystic Rhythms is amazing, but there's no other songs on it I'd really love or anything. Don't get the hype.

E: Scratch that. Emotion Detector is pretty great too.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #323 on: June 12, 2019, 01:47:17 PM »
Yea Chad, PP is definitely doable, I see posts of people offloading Days 3/4 so if you look you will find.  Days 1 and 2 don't look like they will sell out.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
OPETH
WATERSHED

Progressive Metal

released May 30th, 2008 by Roadrunner Records

1. Coil [3:07]
2. Heir Apparent [8:51]
3. The Lotus Eater [8:48]
4. Burden [7:42]
5. Porcelain Heart [8:01]
6. Hessian Peel [11:26]
7. Hex Omega [6:59]

WATERSHED is

Mikael Åkerfeldt (Guitars / Vocals)
Fredrik Åkesson (Guitars)
Per Wiberg (Keyboards)
Martín Méndez (Bass)
Martin Axenrot (Drums / Percussion)

WITH

Natalie Lorichs (Vocals on 1)
Lisa Almberg (English horn / Oboe)
Christoffer Wadensten (Flute)
Karin Svensson (Violin)
Andreas Tengberg (Cello)

“Look. Pretty, isn’t it? Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.” – Thanos, Marvel Music Critic

In 2005 my friend introduced me to Opeth and Damnation. Fast forward a few years and several attempts at digging ‘heavy’ Opeth, and Watershed is released. I watched the video for “Porcelain Heart” prior to release and was floored at how good it was. It was different, darker, and better than any Opeth I had heard to this point. The perfect mixture of clean singing and gentle music, and huge distorted guitars and demonic growls, with a dash of woodwind instruments and Mellotron, was unlike anything I’d heard before. “Hessian Peel” is the embodiment of that last point. I wish more Opeth fans liked it, I remember it being trashed when the album first came out. It’s lengthy but such a beautiful song.

I bought the special edition of this album, with bonus tracks. But I never got around to listening to them. In late 2009 I had the album in my car when I had a brutal car wreck and lost almost all the music I had in the car, including that album. I didn’t listen to the bonus tracks until last week when I was writing all of this, and I really like them, but it’s the main 7 songs that do it for me.

I’m not too invested in the lore of the band and the history of its members; all I know is than Martin Axenrot’s drumming is more engaging here than on any other Opeth album, and the guitar licks and passages are more creative and imaginative than on any of their other records, too. There isn’t one song I want to skip, and its macabre nature is enticing in a grotesque sort of way.

In Summary: The perfectly balanced Opeth album. I wish every Opeth sounded like this. I want more of those woodwind arrangements and beautiful clean guitar passages. I don’t miss the growls in Opeth, but when I want to hear them, I’ll put on something from this album because this has Mikael’s best growling, in my opinion. I usually like to play this album all in one go, I think it’s better that way. I like Blackwater Park just fine, but it's not an all-time favorite. In fact other than Damnation, Blackwater, and Watershed, I don't really like much Opeth before they ditched the growls. I LOVE every moment of Watershed, though.

Katt’s Favorites: The Lotus Eater, Burden (music video), Porcelain Heart (music video), Hessian Peel

Listen to "Watershed" by Opeth on Spotify
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
It's like if Ghost Reveries wasn't as good
Still a good album though for sure

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
When this came out, I wasn't even close to liking harsh vocals. But I did like Ghost Reveries. It was kind of a novelty.

I downloaded and put Watershed on my iPod, and I think I barely made it through one listen. I just wasn't ready for another growl infested album.

I should go back and recheck it now.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Good thing there's barely growls on Watershed!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Good thing! :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Opeth does nothing for me.

It's like deja vu all over again.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Lethean

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I've only been listening to Rush for a year and a half, 2 this fall. Power Windows is great enough to have cemented itself in the top 50 definitely, but Hemispheres had a ton of competition. Maybe over time Hemispheres will fill in a slot if one of these loses its luster, but we'll see. Most of these albums in the top 50 are albums I grew up with, so Hemispheres just cannot compete with a lot of that.

Damnation, Watershed, and Pale Communion are the three Opeth masterpieces in my book. Blackwater is just outside of that title, unfortunately, and everything else is waaaay beneath Blackwater (a handful of good tracks, but not one album I can sit through all the way). I just don't get much of their growl-era material. Watershed came at a pretty pivotal time in my life so it means a lot to me. Hemispheres is a dope record, absolutely, but I don't have that personal connection with it just yet. Needs more shimmering synths maybe... :)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
My favorite Opeth album. Good choice, Katt!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

Great minds think alike, Podaar. :hug:

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I've only been listening to Rush for a year and a half, 2 this fall.

You've only been listening to Moonglow for a few months, yet it made the cut!   :biggrin:   :P

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni

:-*

The opening three song run of Coil, Heir Apparent, The Lotus Eater, is inspired and paralyzing. I can't not listen to it.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I've only been listening to Rush for a year and a half, 2 this fall.

You've only been listening to Moonglow for a few months, yet it made the cut!   :biggrin:   :P

Yeah, but I know Avantasia like the back of my hand, and grew up with Tobias Sammet. Much much different circumstances. Tobi is my hero, Rush are not :) It is an odd inclusion, I realize, but holy fuuuuudge monkeys I love Moonglow so so much.

Podaar, I agree, that trio is just spellbinding. I love it.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 03:53:57 PM by Kattelox »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Not one of my favs from Opeth but still a very good album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
It's like if Ghost Reveries wasn't as good
Still a good album though for sure
This.

People who like Watershed, but not Ghost Reveries, are weird  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
GR is boring tho. Hours of Wealth is okay. The rest? A resounding ehhh... I am WEIRD and proud  :biggrin:

Offline Lethean

« Reply #341 on: June 12, 2019, 05:43:18 PM »

The bigger issue was me having aspirations of heading over to NL for Ayreon.  That's out now.  PPUSA I hadn't (re) thought of - aren't days 3/4 sold out?  I haven't been over to the PPUSA forums to see if there are any sellers yet.  It's a pretty decent lineup for my tastes.  hhmmmm ...

You should totally do it. :) 

Cramx - I will indeed be there. :)  I don't believe we've met so we'll have to this time around.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth

:-*

The opening three song run of Coil, Heir Apparent, The Lotus Eater, is inspired and paralyzing. I can't not listen to it.

That three song run is maybe the best in all of Opeth's discography, sadly (at least for me) Watershed loses a lot of steam after that. Burden is just okay, Porcelain Heart is too long and too uninteresting. Hessian Peel is better but not as good as the first three songs and Hex Omega is simply boring. You can see/hear that Akerfeldt wants to do something different musically, but he hasn't really decided where he wants Opeth to go. Good record, but too uneven for my liking.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Easily my #2 Opeth album  :heart

Ghost Reveries is obviously #1 and I put Watershed being #2 down to it being the first new release after I got into them (which I think is a huge factor in people loving certain albums that aren't 'fan favourites').

But yea, anyone who likes Opeth but not Ghost Reveries is weird. Although I don't think Blackwater Park is all that so what the fuck do I know!

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Although I don't think Blackwater Park is all that so what the fuck do I know!

Apparently nothing  ;D

Blackwater Park is the best them

But then that record was my introduction to Opeth and that may play a part in liking it better than anything else.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
I don't think they'll ever top GR for me, but BWP is also great, it only clicked for me a couple of months ago. For me GR is more memorable but BWP has more of those badass Opeth evil breakdowns (especially the title track).. and it is the only Opeth album that has the Bleak chorus (:heart)

Sending out the Bat Signal!

Amen, brother.
:rollin

I don't know much about Rush, but I see Marathon is on this album and I got that one in my last roulette, reaaaally not my thing.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
AVANTASIA
THE WICKED SYMPHONY

Symphonic Power Metal

released April 3rd, 2010 by Nuclear Blast

1. The Wicked Symphony [9:28]
2. Wastelands [4:44]
3. Scales of Justice [5:04]
4. Dying for an Angel [4:32]
5. Blizzard on a Broken Mirror [6:07]
6. Runaway Train [8:42]
7. Crestfallen [4:02]
8. Forever is a Long Time [5:05]
9. Black Wings [4:37]
10. States of Matter [3:57]
11. The Edge [4:12]

THE WICKED SYMPHONY is

Tobias Sammet (Vocals / Bass / Keyboards on 10 / Organ on 8)
Sascha Paeth (Guitars / Keyboards on 4, 5, 7, 9 / Bass on 10)
Michael “Miro” Rodenberg (Keyboards / Orchestrations)
Eric Singer (Drums on 2, 4, 6, 7)

FEATURING

Russell Allen (Vocals on 1, 10)
Felix Bohnke (Drums on 1, 5, 9, 11)
Bob Catley (Vocals on 6)
Oliver Hartmann (Guitars on 2, 7, 8 / Backing vocals)
Alex Holzwarth (Drums on 3, 8, 10)
Michael Kiske (Vocals on 2, 6)
Bruce Kulick (Guitars on 6, 11)
Jørn Lande (Vocals on 1, 6, 7, 8)
Andre Matos (Vocals on 5) R.I.P. 2019
Klaus Meine (Vocals on 4)
Simon Oberender (Organ on 11) R.I.P. 2012
Tim “Ripper” Owens (Vocals on 3)
Ralf Zdiarstek (Vocals on 9)

WITH

Tiffany Kirkland (Backing vocals)
Matthias Kontny (Backing vocals)
Ina Morgan (Backing vocals)
Thomas Rettke (Backing vocals)
Cinzia Rizzo (Backing vocals)
Amanda Somerville (Backing vocals)
Michael Voy (Backing vocals)
Cloudy Yang (Backing vocals)

You can read my extended thoughts on The Wicked Symphony here if you'd like!

THE LAST AVANTASIA ALBUM ON THE LIST! Just look at that beautiful roster of guest musicians, particularly singers. But there’s even three drummers on this album! I’m indifferent towards Eric Singer, but I freaking love Felix Bohnke (Edguy’s drummer as well) and Alex Holzwarth is a power metal drum legend (of Rhapsody fame).

Each song here sounds like it was crafted specifically for its guest vocalist. That gives this album a lot of variety in sound and style. Klaus Meine’s song sounds like a classic rocker with a big 80s chorus. Ripper’s song lets him scream like a banshee in the chorus. Russell Allen gets to hit the high notes without any of that new-era Allen Grit™. Michael Kiske sings on, imo, the best Avantasia Kiske song ever, “Wastelands,” and it sounds like 100% unfiltered classic power metal.

In Summary: “Black Wings,” “The Edge,” and “Dying for an Angel” are songs I have to be in a certain mood to hear, but I like them when I do. The title track is one of my favorite Avantasia epics. “Wastelands,” “Scales of Justice,” “Blizzard on a Broken Mirror,” “Runaway Train,” and “Forever is a Long Time” are all different and beautiful in their own way. This album has variety, groove, energy, a nice range of tempos and dynamics, and extraordinary performances from a crazy list of stars from this side of rock and metal. It’s the perfect evolution from The Scarecrow, and as much as I despise Angel of Babylon, I love The Wicked Symphony that much more. Please listen to this album if you're even slightly intrigued by the guest list, or like a little adventure in your rock-metal hybrid bands. This record isn't entirely metal, it's got a bit of rock to it, and you know what? That's a good thing in my opinion.

Katt’s Favorites: The Wicked Symphony, Wastelands, Blizzard on a Broken Mirror, Runaway Train

Listen to "The Wicked Symphony" by Avantasia on Spotify

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Huh; you might be winning here, Katt.  I'm looking at that guest list, and other than Russell Allen, who does little for me, there are some cool players on there.  I'm a big Eric Singer (and Bruce Kulick) fan, so I might give that a try.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
EDIT: So far in my Word document, I've written over 10,000 words and 28 pages.  :lol

Huh; you might be winning here, Katt.  I'm looking at that guest list, and other than Russell Allen, who does little for me, there are some cool players on there.  I'm a big Eric Singer (and Bruce Kulick) fan, so I might give that a try.

YES! I was thinking of you when I was formatting some of that guest list. Klaus and Eric Singer I figured would get your attention. It's not on my favorites list but I'm pretty sure you were sent "Dying for an Angel" in your last roulette? If you heard it, you'd know it. I don't think you'd be into the full-bore power metal sections, but there's some rocking parts you'd probably like and "Forever is a Long Time" is a song I think you'd especially enjoy.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 08:01:03 AM by Kattelox »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm down with this.  Wicked Symphony is Top 3 Avantasia song, and the album is the tits.