Author Topic: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. I bless the rains down in Africa [#1]  (Read 66807 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. One moment's high, and glory rolls on by [#41]
« Reply #280 on: June 11, 2019, 07:25:56 PM »
Are there any bands from that time period that your parents played that you really liked?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #281 on: June 11, 2019, 07:38:55 PM »
Tesla sounds nothing like Appetite. Tesla sounds like my toilet backing up. :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #282 on: June 11, 2019, 07:40:03 PM »
Are there any bands from that time period that your parents played that you really liked?
Well, there's Def Leppard of course and then Rush is my favorite band of all time thanks to my dad playing Moving Pictures for me when I was around 5 or 6. Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Watchtower, Steely Dan, Savatage, Dire Straits, Queensryche, Deep Purple, Supertramp, Yes, Boston, Styx, Chicago, Blue Oyster Cult, Thin Lizzy, Journey, Bad Company, ELP, Van Halen, Crimson Glory, Scorpions, Judas Priest, W.A.S.P., and Loverboy were the ones that either my Mom or Dad or both listened to when I was growing up that I remember really enjoying. Still love all those bands.

There were a few that never clicked with me though. Like Nightranger, Tesla, Aerosmith, AC/DC, etc....
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #283 on: June 11, 2019, 07:45:19 PM »
Power Windows sounds like my toilet backing up. :biggrin:

Your's too, huh?

Well, there's Def Leppard of course and then Rush is my favorite band of all time thanks to my dad playing Moving Pictures for me when I was around 5 or 6. Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Watchtower, Steely Dan, Savatage, Dire Straits, Queensryche, Deep Purple, Supertramp, Yes, Boston, Styx, Chicago, Blue Oyster Cult, Thin Lizzy, Journey, Bad Company, ELP, Van Halen, Crimson Glory, Scorpions, Judas Priest, W.A.S.P., and Loverboy were the ones that either my Mom or Dad or both listened to when I was growing up that I remember really enjoying. Still love all those bands.

There were a few that never clicked with me though. Like Nightranger, Tesla, Aerosmith, AC/DC, etc....

Well Nightranger blows.

That's a hell of a band list to hear from your parents.

My parents played the Beach Boys, Johnny Mathis, and Barry Manilow! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #284 on: June 11, 2019, 07:47:46 PM »
Sending out the Bat Signal!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #285 on: June 11, 2019, 07:51:43 PM »
Now you've done it!!  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #286 on: June 11, 2019, 07:52:05 PM »

Well Nightranger blows.

That's a hell of a band list to hear from your parents.

My parents played the Beach Boys, Johnny Mathis, and Barry Manilow! :lol
Yeah, I never understood my mom's fascination with Nightranger. But yeah, that is quite a list of awesome bands, now that I look back on it. To be fair, my parents also liked country music back then (still do to some extent, especially my dad) and then really like stuff like Michael Jackson and Prince, and stuff like Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #287 on: June 11, 2019, 07:52:54 PM »
Your Dad is the same age as my wife.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #289 on: June 11, 2019, 08:18:26 PM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline 425

« Reply #290 on: June 11, 2019, 10:47:39 PM »
I heartily applaud the selection of Power Windows. I got it pretty recently and haven't had enough listens for it to settle in, but I'm definitely enjoying it. And Grace Under Pressure is a top 3 Rush album for me, so this is definitely an era of Rush that I enjoy.

One thing you sort of mentioned in your writeup that I want to state my take on: I think that Geddy's voice sounds best in this era. It seems to fit this type of music better than the rockier stuff, and he uses it tastefully instead of doing the screeching of the earlier eras.

Something I cannot endorse, though, is Caress of Steel. Bastille Day is great and Lakeside Park is good, and that's it.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #291 on: June 12, 2019, 04:55:24 AM »
Nice to finally see a good album in this list  :lol

Kidding aside, this is a fantastic album. Not sure I would say it's Rush's best, but it certainly is high in my list.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: June 12, 2019, 05:08:22 AM »
Fucking love Power Windows.  Simply brilliant album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #293 on: June 12, 2019, 05:23:02 AM »

They got you too??

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: June 12, 2019, 05:25:19 AM »
Kinda ambivalent towards Rush, I may check this out but I think I've already done that in the past and wasn't a fan.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: June 12, 2019, 05:28:29 AM »

They got you too??

Sucks to suck, TeslAC!!  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #296 on: June 12, 2019, 05:33:20 AM »
 :lol

It does.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #297 on: June 12, 2019, 05:50:24 AM »
How can people think this isn't the greatest Rush album? HOW?!

Because it isn't.  Doesn't even crack my top 5.  Song-for-song, it's excellent, and has a couple of high moments, but overall, there are better Rush albums.

However, I can totally see this appealing to someone discovering Rush all at once, and after the 'end' of Rush.  For your tastes, it completely makes sense.

And yeah, it's your best album on the list so far.   ;)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: June 12, 2019, 06:08:02 AM »
Power Windows, Hemispheres, and Counterparts are my top 3 Rush albums (not sure after that, although GUP and Permanent Waves are up there). Caress of Steel rocks imo - I really like both of the epics, Lakeside Park is a gem, Bastille Day is nice, and the bald song is just fun. I guess that song, and the length of the other two can be offputting, but I love that album.

The best is yet to come! This is merely 41!

Offline romdrums

« Reply #299 on: June 12, 2019, 06:30:19 AM »
Power Windows is probably the Rush album I listen to most often, and is definitely in my top 3 with Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves.  For me, it sums up everything about the 80's both in terms of the sounds on the record and the lyrical themes.  And, it's probably Neil's best drum performance.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #300 on: June 12, 2019, 08:22:19 AM »
Really? How old is your Dad?
55. I believe i've posted this elsewhere, but my parents listened to all the classic hard rock and metal bands from the 70's and 80's from the time i was a small child. I grew up with all of that.

Stadler is your father??
As far as I know he isn't  :lol

It was a long time ago, and I was drunk at the time. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: June 12, 2019, 08:24:13 AM »

Nope, not me.  That's as firm as a paternity test right there.  I still go see Night Ranger whenever they come to town.  And there's no Rainbow, Deep Purple or Cinderella on that list. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: June 12, 2019, 08:26:03 AM »
Power Windows, Hemispheres, and Counterparts are my top 3 Rush albums (not sure after that, although GUP and Permanent Waves are up there). Caress of Steel rocks imo - I really like both of the epics, Lakeside Park is a gem, Bastille Day is nice, and the bald song is just fun. I guess that song, and the length of the other two can be offputting, but I love that album.

Stand your ground!  Caress isn't as bad as many - including the band - make it out to be.   It's certainly better than Grace Under Pressure.  What a debacle that is.  :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #303 on: June 12, 2019, 08:30:24 AM »

There were a few that never clicked with me though. Like Nightranger,

Nope, not me.  That's as firm as a paternity test right there. 

:lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #304 on: June 12, 2019, 09:57:45 AM »

Stand your ground!  Caress isn't as bad as many - including the band - make it out to be.   It's certainly better than Grace Under Pressure.  What a debacle that is.  :)

I hope you turn around on GUP one day but I get why you don't like it. I think it's really good!

Online pg1067

« Reply #305 on: June 12, 2019, 10:09:50 AM »
Sending out the Bat Signal!

Amen, brother.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #306 on: June 12, 2019, 10:13:18 AM »
No, no, you're all mixed up. A Farewell to Kings blows. Not Power Windows.  :loser:

EDIT: #40 a bit later. We're starting to get into "deeply meaningful and impactful" territory. Transitioning to that most cheesy layer of sentimentality. #40 is perfectly balanced, as all things should be...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 10:44:22 AM by Kattelox »

Online pg1067

« Reply #307 on: June 12, 2019, 11:01:10 AM »
A Farewell to Kings blows Power Windows away.

Exactly.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: June 12, 2019, 11:07:46 AM »
Yeah, as sleeping medication!!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #309 on: June 12, 2019, 11:17:01 AM »
AFTK is my #4 AOTY, so yeah.  Mike's getting a cunt-punch when we ever meet.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: June 12, 2019, 11:18:33 AM »
Atlanta 2020. I TRIPLE dog dare ya!  :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: June 12, 2019, 11:27:29 AM »
Atlanta 2020. I TRIPLE dog dare ya!  :lol

I quadruple dog dare you 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: June 12, 2019, 11:32:16 AM »
AFTK is my #4 AOTY, so yeah.  Mike's getting a cunt-punch when we ever meet.
And one for me.  Hemispheres was always at that spot, but I got the 40th anniversary edition or whatever it is and listened to it on a drive across Florida at 11:30 at night a couple weeks ago, and it was one of the best listening experiences of my entire life.   That is one strong album.

The 5.1 version on the box sets is pretty strong too (and Rush 5.1's generally are not good). 

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #313 on: June 12, 2019, 11:38:44 AM »
Yeah, disliking A Farewell to Kings is still the strangest thing about Kattelox....
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #314 on: June 12, 2019, 11:44:48 AM »
Welcome to Katt's Top 50 Most Disappointing Albums! Today's pick, "A Farewell To Kings" by Rush. Looking at the tracklist now. Title track? Freaking yawn. Xanadu? The best thing here, not bad, just too long, and not a great chorus (sue me). Closer to the Heart is inoffensive but I am just annoyed by it and sick of hearing it. Cinderella Man and Madrigal are boring. Cygnus is boring as well and too long. :neverusethis:

I know it's very popular and revered by most Rush fans. I just don't see why. It doesn't have much of anything I really love about the band. I want to like it but I can't.