Author Topic: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. I bless the rains down in Africa [#1]  (Read 66799 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Tried Opeth a while ago. Gave up quickly, not my thing.

Just checked it. WTF is that? :lol

No I have never heard that so I guess I'll have to settle on being unhip. Nothing new here. :lol

Never heard of Arctic Monkeys either, and never heard that song. Turned off after 30 seconds and went to the barkeep at the Unhip Saloon to order myself and TAC two more Manhattans.

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
I fucking love Damnation as well :hefdaddy

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Opeth does nothing for me.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Opeth does nothing for me.

Same, sadly.  Saw them open for DT back to back nights in NYC for the prognation tour.  Just couldn't get into it.  I always think if I go and try again I'd like it, just haven't found a reason to yet.

Offline Lethean

I appreciate Opeth, and I've enjoyed some songs here and there, and enjoyed a live performance or two. But they definitely don't reach me like they seem to reach others.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Actually I was going to see them again, a few years ago I had to sell my ticket last minute because I was really sick for the local sold out concert of Opeth, Gojira, and Devin Townsend Project.  I would have gotten to experience Opeth again, but sadly it didn't work out for me and it's one of my most upsetting concerts to have missed

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. Now I'm leaving my worries behind [#44]
« Reply #146 on: June 08, 2019, 05:49:01 PM »
Most early Opeth stinks tbh
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 05:58:57 PM by Kattelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
who put you on the planet

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: June 08, 2019, 05:59:11 PM »
STRATOVARIUS
INFINITE
Power Metal

released February 28th, 2000 via Nuclear Blast Records

1. Hunting High and Low [4:08]
2. Millennium [4:10]
3. Mother Gaia [8:18]
4. Phoenix [6:13]
5. Glory of the World [4:53]
6. A Million Light Years Away [5:20]
7. Freedom [5:03]
8. Infinity [9:22]
9. Celestial Dream [2:30]

INFINITE is

Jens Johansson (Keyboards)
Jari Kainulainen (Bass)
Timo Kotipelto (Lead vocals)
Jörg Michael (Drums)
Timo Tolkki (Guitars / Backing vocals)

WITH

A whole lot of orchestral and choral musicians

Look at that bonkers artwork. It's awesome. I love it.

Disclaimer: It's no secret I love Stratovarius. They are my single favorite metal band of all time - actually, they're my favorite band of any genre. The years 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, and 2003 saw Stratovarius release 6 of the most classic albums in power metal's history. This lineup released 7 studio albums together, and those 5 guys together are the embodiment of the best years in all of power metal. Infinite is the 4th album released under this lineup and the 8th Stratovarius record overall. No, I'm not biased at all...

Stratovarius's songwriting is known for its speed, melodies, Timo Kotipelto's distinct voice, the extreme dexterity of its musicians, and Timo Tolkki's trademark spiritual lyricism, embracing hope and positivity, environmental concerns, and the well-being of the planet. Infinite is no exception. There's a sad anthem for Mother Nature, there are some songs about humanity needing to find a new way to live in the new millennium, there are songs about embracing individuality and inner strength and remaining positive. All that good hippie jazz.

And that's the magic of this album. Timo Tolkki is the Lord Commander of Catchy Power Metal. He took what Helloween first did and perfected it (and he did it before Tobias Sammet hired Michael Kiske to sing his Stratoween-style songs for him!). He chooses simple chords, and he might generally play some of the most boring guitar parts known to metal next to Nightwish and Sonata Arctica in the verses, but his mastery of catchy chord progressions and seemingly endless capability to wring an earworm out of the same half dozen chords every single time is something to be admired.

“Hunting High and Low” and “Phoenix” are two of the greatest power metal songs of all time and I need you to go listen to those if you've made it this far because you obviously have nothing better to do. Jens Johansson's layering of harpsichord with the synth lead is highly influential on me personally and “the” power metal keyboard sound combo, in my opinion. Those keys are VERY important.

Timo Kotipelto's voice isn't for everyone - his accent is thick - but for me, he is the definition of 'great power metal singer.' Timo Kotipelto's high notes are unparalleled in my opinion. When he hits a high note, to me it feels like he's putting every ounce of strength into it, and even when it's super high, there is a strength and weight to it that blows my mind. If I was to boil down a specific section that shows everything I love about power metal, it's any Stratovarius song with double bass drums, fast guitars, and Timo Kotipelto holding a solid Eb5 with no vibrato. Makes me want to open a window and scream “I HAVE THE POWER!!!” at the top of my lungs.

Also Jorg Michael's drums are always recorded so fucking loud and this sound is something a lot of metal bands don't have. MAKE YOUR DRUMS HUGE! The first thirty seconds of “Infinity” really make his drums sound enormous. The man beats the shit out of his drums and I'm here for every second of it.

In Summary: I wish every non-symphonic power metal band with keyboards would strive to be like this album. If they did, the world would be a better place... The sounds on this record helped inspire me to be in a band and write music and become a better keyboardist when I was younger. It's still a special album today. I wish I could play keys like Jens, or sing like Timo, or write songs like Tolkki, or play drums like Jorg. When I hear this album I want to fly away like a bird into the sky. I love everything about this band so much.

Katt's Favorites: Hunting High and Low, Millennium, Phoenix
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 06:04:13 PM by Kattelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: June 08, 2019, 06:20:43 PM »
Hunting High and Low is a fun song. I don't care much for the rest of the album
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #150 on: June 08, 2019, 06:48:35 PM »
 :lol   That writeup! :rollin
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: June 08, 2019, 06:55:28 PM »
Me whenever I listen to Stratovarius

I also might have lied on my initial post. Stratovarius has 5 albums on this list, so does another band. And maybe another. ;)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 07:09:38 PM by Kattelox »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: June 08, 2019, 07:08:17 PM »
Never given this band a solid listen, will do this weekend.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: June 09, 2019, 03:32:51 AM »
Alright, now we're fucking talking dude..  This one is a goodie, and it seems we may be on the same page with this band Michael, as there's a few of their others I'd prefer over it also.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: June 09, 2019, 03:33:46 AM »
Oh, I've just put Moonglow on for a spin.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #155 on: June 09, 2019, 06:04:33 AM »
Say back in the early 2000s when I really started exploring new music and artists, Strat was recceomended to me, and I tried their first two. Ended up being wholly unimpressed. Then, in a roulette (2nd I think) someone gave me Unbreakable.  :metal. By then , there were too many albums to try and digest, so I just stuck with a couple of the most recent ones, and a Best Of. I'll give this a spin today though.  Ironically, I was just listening to Live at Wacken yesterday while doing yard work.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: June 09, 2019, 08:06:45 AM »
Wow, what a contrast the last two picks are.  :tup Katt.

They both are betrayals of the, so called, metal aesthetic, but in completely different ways.

Deliverance is basically a fusion of Jazz and pretty folk-music that somehow manages to be threatening, disturbing, haunting, unpredictable and, well...metal. I like it!

Infinite ticks all the boxes for metal instrumentation. Distorted guitars, in you face drums, guitars and bass unison riffs for that loud and proud sound, and eunuch vocals. Yet, it comes across as snuggling with puppies while being trapped in a dental office elevator. Super predictable and not very metal. Not my thing.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: June 09, 2019, 08:11:14 AM »
Eunuch vocals!!  :rollin That's a hilariously accurate description of Infinite. I love it.

Kade, yeah, I could have easily thrown in most of Stratovarius's discography on this list if I'm being perfectly honest, but I had to reel it in a bit to be fair to other bands. Tolkki at his prime was just a monster in the genre.

Chad, their first two are black sheep in the family... Fright Night is easily my least favorite Strato album but it's not necessarily the fault of the album. It was just a completely different band back then. Twilight Time/Stratovarius II however is amazing, I prefer it even over Dreamspace and Fourth Dimension which are highly praised in the Strato fanbase. Nemesis however is an incredible album too.

There's a LOT more power metal in this vein coming.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #158 on: June 09, 2019, 10:06:43 AM »
So are we going to see Elements on this list? :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: June 09, 2019, 10:25:07 AM »
So are we going to see Elements on this list? :corn

Tune in tomorrow to find out! And the next day. And the next day. And the next day...

Let's move right along with #43 a bit later and take a break til Tuesday...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 10:35:08 AM by Kattelox »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. Wake me like nails in my spine [#43]
« Reply #160 on: June 09, 2019, 11:59:50 AM »
KAMELOT
POETRY FOR THE POISONED
Progressive Power Metal

released September 14th, 2010 via KMG Recordings

1. The Great Pandemonium [4:22]
2. If Tomorrow Came [3:55]
3. Dear Editor [1:18]
4. The Zodiac [4:00]
5. Hunter's Season [5:33]
6. House on a Hill [4:15]
7. Necropolis [4:17]
8. My Train of Thoughts [4:07]
9. Seal of Woven Years [5:11]
10. Poetry for the Poisoned, Part I: Incubus [2:56]
11. Poetry for the Poisoned, Part II: So Long [3:23]
12. Poetry for the Poisoned, Part III: All Is Over [1:03]
13. Poetry for the Poisoned, Part IV: Dissection [1:57]
14. Once Upon A Time [3:47]

POETRY FOR THE POISONED is

Roy Khan (Vocals)
Sean Tibbetts (Bass)
Thomas Youngblood (Guitars)
Oliver Palotai (Keyboards)
Casey Grillo (Drums)

FEATURING

Gus G. (Guitars and solo on 5)
Jon Oliva (Vocals on 4)
Sascha Paeth (Additional guitars)
Simone Simons (Vocals on 6, 11, 12)
Bjorn Strid (Vocals on 1)

WITH

Robert Hunecke-Rizzo (Backing vocals)
Simon Oberender (Backing vocals)
Thomas Rettke (Backing vocals)
Amanda Somerville (Backing vocals)
Cloudy Yang (Backing vocals)
Miro (Additional keyboards / Orchestrations)

If Stratovarius's Infinite was a cheerful, summer album, Poetry for the Poisoned is The Long Night of power metal. It hurts me that this album is so deeply maligned and resented by Kamelot fans (and power metal fans at large, really). There are no great happy anthems here, there are no fantastic tales to be told. Just gloom, misery, and cold despair, with a very brief look at daylight at the end. This album isn't just dark, it's like a miasma that chokes you. The tension is oppressive and relentless. But for me, that's what I like – I admire the beauty within the storm.

Some criticize Roy's vocals on this album, but I think they're as good as they ever were up to this point. Some of his best melodies are on this album, specifically “House on a Hill,” “Necropolis,” “Seal of Woven Years,” and “So Long.” The poetry for the poisoned is a palpable anguish made thick by Roy's graceful singing, whether it's a deep whisper or a songbird falsetto. Necropolis in particular has this kickass groove and hook, I wish they pursued more songs like this in recent years.

Guest appearances add some spice to the songwriting as well. Jon Oliva sounds psychotic on “The Zodiac.” That song is almost more similar to a rock song than a metal song, yet Oliva makes it one of the heaviest songs on the album. The guitar solo is awesome, too. Gus G. plays guitars and a solo on “Hunter's Season” which is about and dedicated to Thomas Youngblood's mom, and Simone Simons sound lovely on both “House on a Hill” and “So Long.”

There are only  a couple downsides to this album for me. A couple songs take a long time to really get going (“My Train of Thoughts,” “Seal of Woven Years”) and the title track is a mess. “So Long” is a splendid ballad but the other parts are rushed and incoherent, and there's no good reason to split it up into 4 tracks when it's not even 10 minutes long. “Once Upon A Time” is a beautiful classic power metal song to end things out, and although it sounds happy compared to the rest of the album, it's still a dull gray on the color spectrum.

In Summary: One of the most divisive Kamelot albums, and maybe in power metal overall, it's my favorite Kamelot album. I understand what they were going for, and I could listen to a hundred other bands if I want to hear records similar to Karma and Epica. This album has groove. I also dig the production in a big way, the very brief but effective solos, and Roy's voice is at its very best. The title track is a bummer, but the rest of the album is so strong it makes up for it. I wish more people liked this album as much as I do.

Katt's Favorites: Dear Editor/The Zodiac, Hunter's Season, Necropolis, Seal of Woven Years

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: June 09, 2019, 12:03:32 PM »
Kamelot is in the Top 3 on my "Why don't I listen to this band more?" list.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #162 on: June 09, 2019, 12:25:08 PM »
Similar to Stratovarious, I just could never get into Kamelot. I don't think I've heard this album, but I'll give it a spin tonight during the game.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: June 09, 2019, 12:41:56 PM »
oh geeze, Kamelot's worse album since Siege.  A huge disappointment on release day for me listening to this

There are only  a couple downsides to this album for me. A couple songs take a long time to really get going (“My Train of Thoughts,” “Seal of Woven Years”) and the title track is a mess. “So Long” is a splendid ballad but the other parts are rushed and incoherent, and there's no good reason to split it up into 4 tracks when it's not even 10 minutes long. “Once Upon A Time” is a beautiful classic power metal song to end things out, and although it sounds happy compared to the rest of the album, it's still a dull gray on the color spectrum.

Pretty much agree with all of that, plus the rest of the album just isn't that good.  A few good songs, some good moments and just a bunch of boring and uninspired kamelot tunes. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: June 09, 2019, 12:49:21 PM »
That's kind of how I feel about Black Halo tbh. I like this one because it stands out and has a distinctive vibe. Sucks when people say it's bad. It's very good :(

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: June 09, 2019, 12:51:27 PM »
I'm 100% with you Katt.  I really can't quite get the lack of love for PFTP and Ghost Opera.  I think both are stellar albums!  MUCH better for me than everything pre Black Halo.

oh geeze, Kamelot's worse album since Siege.  A huge disappointment on release day for me listening to this
  :omg:  You are dead to me....   :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #166 on: June 09, 2019, 12:57:13 PM »
I understand why the album is ranked pretty low, but the Poetry for the Poisoned suite and The Great Pandemonium are both great pieces of music.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: June 09, 2019, 12:59:46 PM »
I'm 100% with you Katt.  I really can't quite get the lack of love for PFTP and Ghost Opera.  I think both are stellar albums!  MUCH better for me than everything pre Black Halo.

I like you and your opinion on Kamelot. Hell yeah brother. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks exactly that. Ghost Opera is my #2 no doubt.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: June 09, 2019, 01:49:29 PM »

:omg:  You are dead to me....   :lol

:lol got to admit I'm surprised by the love, not really from Kat because he seems to like all the worst albums from good bands but I'm surprised others are also agreeing it's a good album

I do like The Great Pandemonium but I wish they'd drop it from the set now since it's been a staple.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: June 09, 2019, 01:59:31 PM »
Worst!! I mean, I'm glad you've forgotten Eternity and Dominion exist, and have forgotten how dull and self derivative the last 3 albums have been, but come on!!  :biggrin:  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: June 09, 2019, 02:12:17 PM »
Very good album.  I agree this one gets a bad wrap and IMO is quite underrated.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #171 on: June 09, 2019, 02:55:59 PM »
Worst!! I mean, I'm glad you've forgotten Eternity and Dominion exist, and have forgotten how dull and self derivative the last 3 albums have been, but come on!!  :biggrin:  :lol
After getting Kamelot in my first roulette, I've listened to all of their albums. Besides their first 3, Poetry for the Poisoned is my least favorite. It does have a few good songs, but it's fairly weak overall.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Lethean

« Reply #172 on: June 09, 2019, 03:24:30 PM »
Poetry for the Poisoned is a great album.  I actually didn't realize people hated it so much.  I do remember reading a negative review of Ghost Opera and thinking to myself how wrong that person was. :P

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: June 09, 2019, 03:55:44 PM »
I would've said it's their worst since Siege Perilous but The Shadow Theory exists so there's that. Picking this over Karma, Epica and The Black Halo is honestly sacrilege.

(SPOILERS) Next up on Katt's list:

Metallica - St. Anger
Sonata Arctica - Stones Grow Her Name
Helloween - Chameleon
Evergrey - Monday Morning Apocalypse
Iron Maiden - Virtual X
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline 425

« Reply #174 on: June 09, 2019, 03:57:32 PM »
I've got to admit, I've never even tried this album given its poor reputation. I suppose I'll have to remedy that soon.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time