Author Topic: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. I bless the rains down in Africa [#1]  (Read 66809 times)

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
Re: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. There is nothing to fear no more [#47]
« Reply #105 on: June 06, 2019, 03:38:57 PM »
HOL UP

Beyond the Red Mirror is a concept album???

How have I literally never known about this before now?

Anyway it's a good album, as you would expect from BG. Not my favorite, but that's only because At the Edge of Time is so amazing

Offline Lethean

« Reply #106 on: June 06, 2019, 04:49:38 PM »
Blood Tears?!??!?!  The Curse of Feanor!?!? When Sorrow Sang?!?!?  Man I think those might be the three best songs on the album.  The "hits" are not my favorites here.

I *love* Blood Tears. :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: June 06, 2019, 05:11:25 PM »
Wow, by far the worst Blind Guardian album IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #108 on: June 06, 2019, 05:23:48 PM »
Plenty more unpopular opinions to come!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #109 on: June 06, 2019, 07:08:08 PM »
I can't say that I pick Red Mirror when I feel like listening to Blind Guardian, and the album seems too long and bloated to me, but I did enjoy them opening with The Ninth Wave when I saw them i 2016.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #110 on: June 06, 2019, 07:32:04 PM »
Indeed!

This would probably make my list of 50 most disappointing albums of all time.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: June 06, 2019, 07:34:38 PM »
Man. Y'all are wilding right now.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #112 on: June 06, 2019, 07:37:16 PM »
I'm not familiar enough to distinguish against the others. I probably prefer their first and Imaginations, but I found the rest all pretty comparable. I don't know the material inside and out though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #113 on: June 06, 2019, 08:11:55 PM »
Plenty more unpopular opinions to come!

Anything that tops me putting The Astonishing at #1?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: June 06, 2019, 08:27:19 PM »
I'm not familiar enough to distinguish against the others.... I don't know the material inside and out though.

I found BG recently and haven't delved in enough to get beyond this point myself.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: June 06, 2019, 10:21:35 PM »
Indeed!

This would probably make my list of 50 most disappointing albums of all time.

I'm in the same camp. Although a few songs have grown on me since then, this is one album I regret buying an artbook for.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #116 on: June 06, 2019, 11:59:47 PM »
:corn

Never got into Blind Guardian, never really liked Hansi Kürsch as a singer. The last has kind of changed recently because I really like his contributions to Avantasia and Ayreon, so maybe I should give BG another try.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: June 07, 2019, 05:12:59 AM »
Everything I heard from them after A Night at the Opera has been underwhelming. I don't think I've given this one it's fair of listens so I will spin it again and see what happens.

Everyone and their fucking mother loves Nightfall. That is one of the most overrated metal albums of all time. It has like 3 good songs and the rest are filler and interludes. I am very passionate about how overrated that thing is.  :lol :lol

You better wash your mouth there, and clean our ears while you're at it.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: June 07, 2019, 07:12:09 AM »
*picks up megaphone*

Nightfall In Middle-Earth, while a decent album, is easily the weakest album in their entire discography, including The Forgotten Tales.

*reclines in lawn chair, drinks mai tais*

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #119 on: June 07, 2019, 07:22:40 AM »
I basically don't know any of these albums so far (future roulette participants, take note!) but I love that you're not traveling the well-worn path.  I know for me, with my favorite bands (well, most of them) I tend to like the more obscure stuff.

Aerosmith:  Night In The Ruts/Get Your Wings (as opposed to Toys In The Attic or Rocks)
Kiss:  Hotter Than Hell/Rock and Roll Over/Unmasked (as opposed to Destroyer or Revenge)
Yes:  Going For The One and Big Penetrator (as opposed to Close To The Edge or 90210)
Maiden:  Killers/Powerslave/Seventh Son (as opposed to Number of the Beast)

Stick to your guns, bro. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: June 07, 2019, 07:28:36 AM »
Never got into Blind Guardian, never really liked Hansi Kürsch as a singer. The last has kind of changed recently because I really like his contributions to Avantasia and Ayreon, so maybe I should give BG another try.

My friend is the same way.  When I was discovering BG I kept saying he would like it, but he kept saying he didn't like Hansi.  I even dragged him to my first BG show in 2010 and he enjoyed the night although that didn't convince him to like BG.  Then Hansi was on Moonglow and all of the sudden my friend was like "now I understand why you like Hansi"  :omg:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: June 07, 2019, 07:28:55 AM »
 :biggrin:

@Stadler: You're probably not gonna recognize very many if any of the albums on my list, but there are a couple I think you might enjoy checking out. Maybe even the next one!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: June 07, 2019, 07:50:16 AM »
Actually began listening to BTRM on my commute back from work and just remembered how much I dislike The Ninth Wave chorus. Such a strong beginning and then the chorus just kills all the excitement.

Twilight and Prophecies are both solid songs, and The Throne is awesome. The rest I can live without. Distant Memories is also alright.

Ready for the next update!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: June 07, 2019, 08:13:10 AM »
Next update coming this evening! Something a bit more popular, in every sense of the word.  :biggrin: Well maybe not every sense. But I think it'll get some love here. Just maybe not for the other albums it's beating... ah screw it, ya'll aren't gonna agree.  :lol
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 08:43:48 AM by Kattelox »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. Why'd you only call me when you're high? [#46]
« Reply #124 on: June 07, 2019, 12:46:31 PM »
ARCTIC MONKEYS
AM
Indie Rock

released September 9th, 2013 via Domino

1. Do I Wanna Know? [4:32]
2. R U Mine? [3:20]
3. One for the Road [3:26]
4. Arabella [3:27]
5. I Want It All [3:04]
6. No. 1 Party Anthem [4:03]
7. Mad Sounds [3:35]
8. Fireside [3:01]
9. Why’d You Only Call Me When You’re High? [2:42]
10. Snap Out of It [3:12]
11. Knee Socks [4:17]
12. I Wanna Be Yours (John Cooper Clarke cover) [3:04]

AM is

Alex Turner (Lead vocals / Lead guitars)
Matt Helders (Drums / Backing vocals)
Jamie Cook (Rhythm guitars)
Nick O’Malley (Bass / Backing vocals)

WITH

James Ford (Keyboards, except 1, 2, 4, 5)
Josh Homme (Backing vocals on 3 and 11)
Pete Thomas (Percussion on 7)
Bill Ryder-Jones (Additional guitar on 8)

This album is just plain cool. It's indie rock, but it's got brilliant riffs. Confident singing backed by poetic lyrics and a heaping dose of swagger. Songwriting and instrumental parts that complement the songs themselves, no indulgent soloing or overblown artistry. Just catchy hooks, catchy rhythms, and killer guitars. I don't think much of Arctic Monkeys prior to this album, and the 2018 follow-up to this record is good but not nearly as good as this, but AM is one of my favorite rock records ever made.

I love everything about this album but the guitar riffs are something special. There are so many great riffs here that this album made me buy my first electric guitar. Not only that, but I learned almost every song on the album, I just never learned the solos. I can't say that about any other album, not one. The bass also has plenty of great lines, and even when the rhythm guitar is doing the most simple stuff, it’s still good music. Tiny, soft licks, a couple staccato notes here and there, just adding to the songs. The drums don’t particularly stand out, but they sound great and have this meaty chunk to them like the guitars do and since they play with the bass a lot, the rhythm section is nice and thick and gives just enough weight to the songs without hogging all the room in the mix.

Alex Turner's voice is another star. He's got such a slick confidence to his voice that adds a dollop of sexiness to each song here. There are some moments that sound inspired by 50s or 60s rock, like “No. 1 Party Anthem” or “Mad Sounds.” Some modern rockers like “R U Mine?” which has one of the coolest vocal melody-lyrics pairings on the record (and took me a long time to figure out how to sing and play at the same time). Calm, more contemplative songs like “Fireside” and the cover of “I Wanna Be Yours.” I’m a big fan of how much his voice adds to the various moods on this album.

And the lyrics. Man. So many I love. Alex Turner’s rhyme schemes and the way he works them into the melodies (or vice versa, whichever his method was) is brilliant. The words come out sounding poetic yet natural, the way they flow seamlessly into each other is so cool to me, sometimes he puts a rhyme in the middle of another rhyme. And really, the record just sounds good. Crank it up, you can hear every instrument clear as a bell. I love the warmth of the highs and the oomph in the low end, without sacrificing the middle. The band has a great sound, AM does an extraordinary job of capturing it. I'll end with one of my favorite lyrics, a verse from the first song:

“So have you got the guts? / Been wondering if your heart’s still open and if so I wanna know what time it shuts / Simmer down and pucker up / I’m sorry to interrupt / It’s just I’m constantly on the cusp of trying to kiss you / I don’t know if you feel the same as I do / But we could be together if you wanted to”

In Summary: Most people have heard a song or two from this album, I almost guarantee it. “Do I Wanna Know?” has more than 650 million plays on Spotify, so everyone has an opinion on that one. I think this is a damn good record and it's served as the soundtrack for most of my 20s. I'm not as angry as I used to be when I was a teenager, and this kind of rock resonates deeply with me. This record is both dark and light, but it's sexy, it's confident, it's got reverb and warm beautiful layers of vocals, poetic lyrics, chill atmosphere, and it's gotten me through some bad times. I like working out to this album, driving to this album, cooking to this album, getting high to this album, it fits every occasion for me. Love every second of it.

Katt's Favorites: Do I Wanna Know?, R U Mine?, Fireside, Snap Out Of It, Knee Socks, I Wanna Be Yours

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. Why'd you only call me when you're high? [#46]
« Reply #125 on: June 07, 2019, 02:34:54 PM »
Just catching up now, Closing Time <3and you're welcome :)
Out of others, I only know Avantasia's latest and really like it.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
OPETH
DAMNATION
Progressive Rock

released April 22nd, 2003 via Koch Records

1. Windowpane [7:44]
2. In My Time of Need [5:50]
3. Death Whispered A Lullaby [5:49]
4. Closure [5:16]
5. Hope Leaves [4:30]
6. To Rid the Disease [6:21]
7. Ending Credits [3:40]
8. Weakness [4:09]

DAMNATION is

Mikael Åkerfeldt (Guitars / Vocals)
Martín Méndez (Bass)
Peter Lindgren (Guitars)
Martin Lopez (Drums)

WITH

Steven Wilson (Piano / Mellotron / Fender Rhoades / Backing vocals)

Story time! There's not much to cover here, as it's well known in the prog world...

I got into Opeth through one of my oldest online friends. This was about 2005, so I was 14. Sometime in the afternoon, after school let out, I was talking to him while farting around on the Internet, and we always talked about music. He introduced me to my #3 album of all time on this list, actually. Anyway, he suggested me this album by a band that was really chill. He sent over a tune called Windowpane and I went in blind. It was love at first listen.

This album, man. Holy crap. What an awesome record. I spent a great deal of my childhood and teenage years at my computer desk in the sunporch at my parents' house, with 6 windows lining the room. Would play video games and always have a fresh breeze coming in and I could stare out at the front lawn. This album reminds me of summer, playing World of Warcraft and other MMOs into the night, having this record on repeat over and over and over, especially on the rainy days. One of my favorite moments in music is the way the song opens up and breathes and shimmers at "Summer is miles and miles away" in "In My Time of Need." BEAUTIFUL!

To this day I often play along on my acoustic guitar to “Windowpane,” “In My Time of Need,” and “Death Whispered A Lullaby.” They're so fun to sing, too. I love that there's no anger on this album, just resigned sadness. But Mikael's voice takes some of the bitterness away. I'm so happy modern Opeth has ditched the growls in favor of actual singing. I do believe this album is better than most of Opeth's entire discography. It's very much a 'mood' record. Although songs like “Windowpane” I can listen to whenever, in almost any situation.

A few times a year, my old buddy and I still text each other to clue each other in on music, and we often still talk about Opeth. Opeth is one of the few ways we stay in touch, and I'm really grateful for that.

In Summary: Super chill record from a historically heavy-as-hell band, but this is the side I prefer. It's my #2 favorite Opeth record by just a hair, but it has some of my favorite Opeth songs ever. The guitar tone is fabulous, Mikael's voice is probably the best it's been on any Opeth record to date, the drums and bass sound wonderful, and the synths add a very light but powerful effect all over the record. Captivating melodies, beautiful sounds, exquisite production. A masterpiece.

Katt's Favorites: Windowpane, Death Whispered A Lullaby, Hope Leaves, To Rid the Disease

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Great album, but still in the bottom half of Opeth albums for me.  :metal :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I am honestly not familiar with Opeth's discog.

And I have no idea who the Arctic Monkeys are. I heard they ripped off the Cold Gorillas.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Listen to the first song I linked at the bottom of the AM writeup. You're telling me you've never heard that? You are so unhip!!  :lol :lol :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
oh hey an album i know :neverusethis:

one of the better opeth albums IMO, which is to say one of the few i've listened to extensively

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Just checked it. WTF is that? :lol

No I have never heard that so I guess I'll have to settle on being unhip. Nothing new here. :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Listen to the first song I linked at the bottom of the AM writeup. You're telling me you've never heard that? You are so unhip!!  :lol :lol :lol

Actually I clicked that earlier and never heard the song and was shocked by how many views it had.  I am just not in touch at all with most popular music these days.  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I seriously expected people to know that one...  :facepalm: At least it's new music to others' ears, hooray!

There's probably maybe like 6 albums that will get any recognition here after that. Including Dream Theater.  :lol

The next one is one I am super super passionate about and it sucks coming in at 44 but that's just how stiff the competition is going forward.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 08:51:04 PM by Kattelox »

Offline 425

I have to say I never was big on Damnation. Could probably give it more of a chance than I have, but just tonally it feels somewhat offputting to me (which is really true of every pre-GR Opeth album I've listened to).

I'll try to at least give the excerpted songs from Tom Waits, Beyond the Red Mirror and Arctic Monkeys a go this weekend.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Tried Opeth a while ago. Gave up quickly, not my thing.

Just checked it. WTF is that? :lol

No I have never heard that so I guess I'll have to settle on being unhip. Nothing new here. :lol

Never heard of Arctic Monkeys either, and never heard that song. Turned off after 30 seconds and went to the barkeep at the Unhip Saloon to order myself and TAC two more Manhattans.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I still highly highly recommend it. It's sold 1.4 million copies in the USA. Very good rock.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Now that's an album I can get behind. Not my favorite Opeth record but really really good.  :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Damnation gets a big yes from me, also had it in my top 50. Probably my favorite Opeth record.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Damnation is a very nice album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.