Author Topic: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. I bless the rains down in Africa [#1]  (Read 66800 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. Like firewings rising from the stars [#49]
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2019, 03:18:34 PM »
I just realized even if I do one every other day, this won't be finished before ProgPower. SO! I will post another one tonight.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
TOM WAITS
CLOSING TIME
Folk / Jazz / Blues

released March 6, 1973 via Asylum Records

1. Ol' 55 [3:58]
2. I Hope That I Don't Fall in Love with You [3:54]
3. Virginia Avenue [3:10]
4. Old Shoes (& Picture Postcards) [3:40]
5. Midnight Lullaby [3:26]
6. Martha [4:30]
7. Rosie [4:03]
8. Lonely [3:12]
9. Ice Cream Man [3:05]
10. Little Trip to Heaven (On the Wings of Your Love) [3:38]
11. Grapefruit Moon [4:50]
12. Closing Time (instrumental) [4:20]

CLOSING TIME is

Tom Waits (Vocals / Piano / Guitar / Harmonium / Harpsichord / Celesta)
Delbert Bennett (Trumpet)
Shep Cooke (Guitar / Backing vocals on 4)
Peter Klimes (Guitar / Pedal steel guitar on 7)
Bill Plummer (Double bass)
John Seiter (Drums / Backing vocals on 1, 7)

WITH

Arni Egilsson
(Bass on 12)
Jesse Ehrlich (Cello on 6)
Tony Terran (Trumpet on 12)

(Tomislav95 sent me this in my album roulette. It's my single favorite discovery from both my roulettes. Thanks, Tomislav!)

Longing sadly for something, but knowing or believing it won't ever come back. The Portuguese have a word for that feeling; it's called saudade. I get this vibe in a huge way from this album. It's sophisticated in the manner in which it breaks your heart, but it also picks you up after it stomps your heart into the ground, dusts you off, and says, “Now that wasn't so bad, was it? Life is hard.”

Tom Waits was only 24 years old when this came out, and it baffles me – how could someone so young have such an old soul, with such a poignant outlook on love? What kind of life has this man had for him to conjure such beautiful lamentations on his debut album?

Most songs are wistful ruminations on love, either through describing old belongings and memories, or what could be seen as a letter to somebody the author loves. It's not hyperbole to say “Martha” is one of the saddest songs I've ever heard. The warm shimmer of the piano is the star of this piece, but it's present throughout the whole album and gives the record a dreamy shimmer. The flow of this album is almost spending a few hours at the bar. You walk in weary and worn down, and you settle in, have a few drinks, smoke a few cigarettes, don't talk to anyone. You dream a brief moment of happier days, but then it's back to reality, and it's closing time. “Closing Time” is a peaceful instrumental that paints the picture of an empty bar early in the morning. It all ends as quietly as it began.

This album makes me feel sad, but good, at the same time. It makes me think about my mistakes in old relationships without feeling bad about them, but rather, it gets me thinking about what could have been, and what never was, and how human it is to feel love and those fleeting moments of poignant regret.

In Summary: Dark, lovely, profound music from a young man. He takes simple subjects and turns each song into a little story. The best ones are the ones that pull the most tears. Tom Waits knows the heartache you're going through, and this album is like getting a long, warm hug from someone whose embrace you could really use right at that moment. Even in the one year I've known this album, it's been a welcome friend. When I play most music, I like to do something else while listening. With Closing Time, I like to dim the lights, pour a drink, and just think about my life. It's like therapy. Although this is #48, the way my tastes are heading, I only see this climbing in the years to come.

Katt's Favorites:  Ol' 55, I Hope That I Don't Fall in Love with You, Martha, Lonely, Grapefruit Moon
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Anguyen92

Re: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. Like firewings rising from the stars [#49]
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2019, 05:27:03 PM »
It definitely makes sense to have a few already done in advance, because who the hell knows what 'real' life might throw at any of us in a couple of weeks or a month's time.

I have fallen into this trap sadly with mine.  I got like 2-3 writeups to close things off my list, but it's like a bunch of jumbled up long thoughts and I do want to refine that, but I just don't have the time (and I don't think anyone really cares about it that much) to feel inspired to refine my thoughts.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :corn
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ruba

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
Interesting story about Ole 55.  The Eagles recorded the song for 'On the Border' album and according  to Glenn Frey, Tom was not too fond of the remake, until he got the check.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Heard of him... That's all I got.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Still have to check out this album in full, but I really liked what I've heard from it.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth

Tim waits?

:clap:

I''ve only heard two or three Tom Waits songs and they didn't really make me check him out, but then I wasn't really paying attention.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Late to the party but add me to the  ??? for Moonglow, I mean, I really enjoy it but Ghostlights is better  :P although tastes and all, does kind of give off a fresh album positive feel though.  Nice to include Avantasia anyway, Ghostlights and maybe even Mystery of Time could crack my top 50 if I ever thought about it.

as for the rest of the list...

Tim waits?

..for the next album. ;D

:lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, I wait with Tim for the next one.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I regret to inform that 2 of the next 4 might appease the two of you, but even those picks might disappoint you. Tonight/tomorrow.  :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Interesting story about Ole 55.  The Eagles recorded the song for 'On the Border' album and according  to Glenn Frey, Tom was not too fond of the remake, until he got the check.

Almost missed this comment. That's cool! I didn't know The Eagles covered this song, in fact I never heard it until I heard Closing Time. I know Tom is super protective of his music, so I'm surprised he allowed another band to play it.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
I think I need to check out that album.    Tom Waits never really clicked with me when I've heard him, but I don't know that I've given enough attention to his songwriting.   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I think I need to check out that album.    Tom Waits never really clicked with me when I've heard him, but I don't know that I've given enough attention to his songwriting.

His voice sounds nothing like how it does on later albums, there's no gravel in his voice on Closing Time. Although the song Christmas Card From A Hooker In Minneapolis sounds similar to stuff here. I think you'd like it, based off that Kris Kristofferson self-titled album you sent me.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. There is nothing to fear no more [#47]
« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2019, 02:07:23 PM »
BLIND GUARDIAN
BEYOND THE RED MIRROR
Symphonic Power Metal

released January 30, 2015 via Nuclear Blast

I. THE CLEANSING OF THE PROMISED LAND
1. The Ninth Wave [9:28]
2. Twilight of the Gods [4:50]

II. THE AWAKENING
3. Prophecies [5:26]
4. At the Edge of Time [6:54]

III. DISTURBANCE IN THE HERE AND NOW
5. Ashes of Eternity [5:39]

IV. THE MIRROR SPEAKS
6. Distant Memories* [5:51]

V. DISTURBANCE IN THE HERE AND NOW (REPRISE)
7. The Holy Grail [5:59]

VI. THE DESCENDING OF THE NINE
8. The Throne [7:54]

VII. THE FALLEN AND THE CHOSEN ONE
9. Sacred Mind [6:22]
10. Miracle Machine [3:03]

VIII. BEYOND THE RED MIRROR
11. Grand Parade [9:28]

BEYOND THE RED MIRROR is

Hansi Kürsch (Vocals)
André Olbrich (Lead, rhythm, acoustic guitars)
Marcus Siepen (Rhythm guitars)
Frederik Ehmke (Drums / Percussion)

FEATURING

Baren Courbois (Bass)
Michael Schuren (Piano)
Mattias Ulmer (Keyboards / Piano)
Thomas Hackmann, William “Billy” King, Olaf Senkbeil (Choirs)

WITH

Hungarian Studio Orchestra Budapest
FILMharmonic Orchestra Prague
Hungarian Studio Choir Budapest
FILMharmonic Choir Prague
Vox Futura Choir Boston

This is a concept album based on a song from Blind Guardian’s 1995 album Imaginations Through The Other Side. This album is basically about a boy who enters a portal to another world and helps put the Old Gods back on a throne or something like that, I don’t know, I never paid attention. It’s really not important. Blind Guardian is a band that can make every song sound like an epic journey even if you don’t know what’s going on. It’s just… yeah, epic.

Blind Guardian hasn’t had very good production in the back half of their catalogue; everything after 1995’s Imaginations has had shoddy production, from the super trebley tinny sound of A Night At The Opera to the muddiness of A Twist In The Myth. But as holds true in the 10 Commandments of Power Metal, there are no bad Blind Guardian albums, only various levels of excellent, and so the tradition carries on with their latest album, 2015’s Beyond the Red Mirror. Also, just to have somewhere to put this, I think this album is an exquisite example of how to incorporate an orchestra into metal music. The songs “At the Edge of Time” and “Grand Parade” do this with flying colors. A lot of bands use an orchestra simply to follow in these guys’ footsteps (among others) yet they just don’t know what they’re doing even with a proper arranger.

The pacing on this album is delightful, and for the first time since Imaginations, has no songs I want to skip when I play it. There’s always been some amount of filler from Nightfall in Middle-Earth through At the Edge of Time. I was even lukewarm on this album when it first came out; songs like “At the Edge of Time” sounded like symphonic filler for the sake of being symphonic, and “Miracle Machine” didn’t sound like a Blind Guardian song at all. “Grand Parade” didn’t feel like it earned its level of grandiosity, with multiple orchestras and choirs contributing to a nine-and-a-half minute spectacle. But over time I’ve warmed up to these tracks and they’re all part of the magic of this album.

Beyond the Red Mirror might not be a grower of an album so much as it rewards repeat listening by revealing bits and pieces that were missed before. The album is overflowing with tasty melodic phrasings and little guitar licks that become more apparent on repeat listenings, harmonized vocal parts that reveal themselves differently if you tweak your equalizer settings or even if you just listen with different headphones and/or on different hardware. It’s a dense album with so much going on at any one moment that one song demands to be heard several times before drawing a fair conclusion. Individual tracks play out like miniature adventures, ebbing and flowing into choruses so triumphant and majestic it makes me feel like I’m part of the action. It makes me think of sprawling fields with snowcapped mountains as their backdrop, dragons and hordes of twisted creatures, warriors and cavalry and all that corny goodness.

Special mention to the glorious vocal lines; Hansi and Andre have concocted some truly commanding vocal parts that tend to sneak up on me on this album. The end of “Prophecies” or “Ashes of Eternity.” The power of repetition and swelling the choirs in “Grand Parade” or his bard-like crooning on “Miracle Machine.” He even gives a taste of some of that 90s Guardian might with screams in “Twilight of the Gods” and “The Holy Grail,” and manages to make softer parts sound ominous and dark like on “The Throne” which is a personal favorite of mine. Hansi is the star of the bonus track “Distant Memories” as well, but unfortunately that song isn’t on every edition of the album. I have it on my copy, but at the same time lack the other bonus song, “Doom.”

In Summary: If this album had come out 10 years ago I wouldn’t have even considered this as one of my top 50 albums of all time. But at this point in my life, I’m tired of hearing the ten thousandth standard heavy/power metal album with everything predictable from the first song, boring fucking riffs, boring untalented singers, bad lyrics, no keyboards, every song sounding the same… This album sounds different. Every song has a unique flavor and distinct elements. It’s musically mature, it shows how power metal bands with real creative potential can make sweeping, epic music. And Blind Guardian makes it look easy, although they pour many, many hours into refining each and every second of their albums. Is Precious Jerusalem better than most songs on Beyond the Red Mirror? Sure, I would agree with that. And I largely prefer speed metal-era Guardian. But Beyond the Red Mirror is altogether more consistent, sounds better, and gets my head banging more than any Blind Guardian album in more than two decades, and for that, it’s earned its place right here at 47.

Katt’s Favorites: Prophecies, Ashes of Eternity, The Holy Grail, The Throne

Offline Lethean

« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2019, 02:11:21 PM »
I don't think it would make my list, but I can totally get behind this one. :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2019, 02:15:21 PM »

I've known you for how long and I'm just now discovering you like this album? What?!  :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2019, 02:18:34 PM »

I've known you for how long and I'm just now discovering you like this album? What?!  :lol

Where we'll probably disagree is that I like their newer stuff better than the older stuff in general.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I regret to inform that 2 of the next 4 might appease the two of you, but even those picks might disappoint you. Tonight/tomorrow.  :)

Yup, another example of an awesome band but you aren't picking their best album!  :biggrin:

This was a very dissapointing album for me because their previous was one of their best.  This album just feels like a mess to me.  Its not bad but it feels like it's not on point either.  There's good moments but the songs just seem bloated and uninteresting.  I did warm up to it over time, I initially didn't like it at all, but it doesn't come close to their better albums.  Another example where I'd have this band in my top 50 but not this album (Imaginations for sure and maybe even At The Edge of Time.

We did get to see The Holy Grail at Progpower a few years ago though and I saw Prophecies at their NYC show prior to that.

Where we'll probably disagree is that I like their newer stuff better than the older stuff in general.

Same.  Imaginations on is what I really like personally although Twist in the Myth was like a stumble for them.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2019, 02:22:57 PM »

I don't fault anyone for liking the new stuff over the old stuff; while I generally do prefer the first 5 albums, everything after that is still awesome, and some of the best power metal songs of all time are in both eras. And Beyond the Red Mirror is my #2 Guardian album so I totally understand liking the new stuff more. :2metal:

At the Edge of Time is a good album, but unlike Red Mirror, I find its pacing brutally uneven and some songs are just straight-up boring and filler to me, or have an awesome chorus but the rest stinks, like Valkyries. I want to like that album more, but I can't, and it's at the bottom of their discography for me. Wheel of Time, though... oh man. Yeah buddy. cram, your opinion is popular in the power metal community; I get a lot of shit from people for thinking so highly of BTRM and so low of Nightfall and ATEOT.  :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2019, 02:32:18 PM »
I really liked A Twist in the Myth.  It was so different from the ones before but I liked that about it, and I thought the songs were really good. 

I consider the last two albums on the same level.  Neither absolutely blow me away, but both are really enjoyable. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2019, 02:37:00 PM »
A twist was my first BG album and I really liked it, until I heard the rest of their catalog and realized this isn't top end BG.  Another Stranger Me is a top BG song for me though

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2019, 02:51:28 PM »
Twist brings the goods with This Will Never End, Skalds and Shadows, Turn the Page, Straight Through the Mirror, Fly, and Another Stranger Me, for sure. The others, I'd be lying if I said I played them even once in the last few years.  :lol But it's still a great album, I just reach for most any other album before it. It has a strange vibe, not quite sure how to describe it. Commercial, in a way (not like it's a bad thing), just weird to hear from Guardian.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2019, 02:52:50 PM »
Fly is a really good live one too

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: June 06, 2019, 02:54:09 PM »
I've seen Fly live twice. Top tier Guardian song.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #98 on: June 06, 2019, 03:19:41 PM »
I discovered BG in the late 2000s, and tried to jump in with their entire discog at once, and (for the most part) it all just blended in together.  I didn't absorb them enough to the point that I can off the top of my head differentiate their music, but I do know that BtRM was a very large disappointment.  Imaginations, Nightfall, Opera, Twist ... all albums I very much enjoy.  Don't think I even bought Edge of Time (oh wait, I did, and it tanked for me)  I think I Spotify'd BtRM, and

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: June 06, 2019, 03:20:27 PM »
Everyone and their fucking mother loves Nightfall. That is one of the most overrated metal albums of all time. It has like 3 good songs and the rest are filler and interludes. I am very passionate about how overrated that thing is.  :lol :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: June 06, 2019, 03:23:36 PM »
 :lol Nightfall is solid but not their best to my ears either.  Other than the interludes, I'm not sure what's filler though on it. 

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #101 on: June 06, 2019, 03:23:54 PM »
Almost as over-rated as Moonglow.  :neverusethis:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: June 06, 2019, 03:25:22 PM »
Man, okay - you got Nightfall, you got Mirror Mirror, you got Time Stands Still. Maaaybe Into The Storm. The rest is just... okay.

Almost as over-rated as Moonglow.  :neverusethis:

You come over to the big kid's slide and say that!  :censored

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: June 06, 2019, 03:32:06 PM »
Blood Tears?!??!?!  The Curse of Feanor!?!? When Sorrow Sang?!?!?  Man I think those might be the three best songs on the album.  The "hits" are not my favorites here.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: June 06, 2019, 03:35:03 PM »
You would think because I'm a LOTR geek to the max I'd love those songs. Nope, all boring. I do like The Eldar and learned it on piano, but I never listen to it. I think I liked Curse of Feanor once upon a time. Otherwise it's a big  ??? to me.