Author Topic: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. I bless the rains down in Africa [#1]  (Read 67877 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
My favorite BG album as well and also got to see it live in full at ProgPower in 2016 (Morded's Song Live at ProgPower 17 ugh I haven't watched this in a long time and I sing along soooo terribly lol)

I actually got the live DVD Imaginations Through the Looking Glass before any album, and as you can guess from the title, the DVD was filled with IFTOS songs which I loved and ended up eventually getting their entire discography and seeing them for the first time in 2010 which was an amazing experience.  Still my favorite album of theirs and would be somewhere high on my top 50 list as well, so damn good every single track. 

Also, had no idea Ronnie Atkins did backing vocals for this album

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
I can finally participate, sort of. This is next on my BG journey. Been listening to them in order and this is next up.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
I can finally participate, sort of. This is next on my BG journey. Been listening to them in order and this is next up.

Hell yeah!! Report back with your thoughts either here or in the BG thread dude. I really hope you love it.  :metal
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face

Hell yeah!! Report back with your thoughts either here or in the BG thread dude. I really hope you love it.  :metal

No disappointments yet. Still need to share my thoughts on Somewhere Far Beyond over in the BG thread. I'm taking my time as I am really enjoying them so instead of one listen and moving on, I am trying to soak them in a bit more.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

No disappointments yet. Still need to share my thoughts on Somewhere Far Beyond over in the BG thread. I'm taking my time as I am really enjoying them so instead of one listen and moving on, I am trying to soak them in a bit more.

SFB has another BG song that was one of my first ever metal tunes: Ashes to Ashes. The whole album is fantastic, but that song is very special to me and I love it sooo much.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Now that's a fucking classic power metal album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yeah, excellent album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
I'm torn between Imaginations and At the Edge of Time for my favorite Blind Guardian album. Both are amazing.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm torn between Imaginations and At the Edge of Time for my favorite Blind Guardian album. Both are amazing.

I'm all for tastes  but not even a competition.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
At the Edge of Time is good, but yeah, not even close to IFTOS for me. If anything, I'd say A Night at the Opera is my second favourite BG.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

ATEoT might be my second favorite but Imagination wins

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Appreciating all the love for this Guardian album, it's amazing. I keep trying to learn Mordred's Song on my acoustic but I just do not have the skills to pull it off. I tried learning the Bright Eyes riff when I had an electric and that was pretty fun.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So I have really only heard each of the Blind Guardian albums a handful of times. I'm not an expert but I consider Tales From The Twilight World my favorite, followed by Somewhere Far Beyond and Battalions Of Fear as my Top 3.

I did a run through tonight of TFTTW, SFB, and IFTOS. This is surely a great 3 album run for sure. Still a band that needs much more of my time. Thanks K-Lox for giving me the opportunity and motivation to run through a few of these.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I still have to go back and fully read the writeups for Enchanted Lands and this, but both are gems.  Enchanted Lands is my 2nd fave Rhapsody album; Imaginations is the gold standard from BG, imo.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Just listened to the Rhadsody album. First, the good news. It's an excellent album, thoughtful and melodic. Liked the speed in some of the tracks.
The bad news?..well it's not really bad news, or even a criticism. I just prefer my power metal to have a bit more bite. To be a bit more heavier.

I'm not a fan of symphonic elements in my music. I don't mind a little embellishment in the background, but I don't want it to have any prominence. Similarly, I feel the same way about keyboards. I do like them, but not at 50-50 with the guitars.

I think that's why I prefer early Hammerfall and Heavenly over bands like Rhapsody and Stratovarius.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yay :)

TAC, we're total opposites in that regard. I gotta have keyboards doing some heavy lifting, at least on equal footing with the geetars. But I'm glad you had fun with Symphony!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Listening to Sign Of The Winner right now!! :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Listening to Sign Of The Winner right now!! :metal

That's such bad album title.  :lol A friend of mine just found that at a record store for like $3. Told him he overpaid by $3.  :lol

I should actually listen to that album sometime. I've heard a few albums but the only one I remember is Dust to Dust which of course I dislike and a little bit of Virus which is, well, it's music

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
That album title is all WIN! :neverusethis:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Sign of the Winner!?  Lol what a title.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Lord forgive me for my blabbering on this next update. Just check the summary as usual, but I took the time to be self-indulgent with this one.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
AQUARIA
LUXAETERNA

Symphonic Power Metal

released November 3rd, 2005 via Scarecrow Records

1. Aeternalux [2:30]
2. …And Let The Show Begin [7:30]
3. Here Comes The Life [9:24]
4. Spirits of Light [5:38]
5. Humanity [8:08]
6. Whispers and Pain of Mother Nature [6:30]
7. Choice Time [6:45]
8. Judgement Day [10:31]
9. Your Majesty Gaia [7:03]
10. Luxaeterna [4:06]
11. Sons of the Sky, Brothers of the Earth* [5:48]

*Japanese bonus track

LUXAETERNA is

Vitor Veiga (Lead vocals)
Fernando Giovanetti (Bass)
Bruno W. Agra (Drums / Choir vocals)
Alberto Kury (Keyboards / Choir vocals)
Leandro Gomes R.I.P. 2010 (Guitars / Choir vocals)
Rick Mour (Guitars)

WITH

Ely Werneck (Percussion)
Igor Veiga (Additional bass)
Vitor Veiga (Choir vocals)
Favia Dotto (Choir vocals)
Luiza Borges (Choir vocals)
Deborah Braga (Choir vocals)
Djane Rodrigues (Choir vocals)
Ana Maria Rigotto (Choir vocals)
Leandro Vasques (Choir vocals)

Forgive me for all the rambling I am about to do. I cannot be short when I talk about this incredibly niche album.

On one end of the symphonic metal spectrum you have bands like Epica, which barely seem to use their orchestral arrangements beyond having the boring choir and a small string section in every song. On the other end, you have Luca Turilli, who for the last 8 years has shoved 20 pounds of shit into 5 pound bags without ever knowing when enough is enough. I find Aquaria comfortably in the middle, still ahead of Nightwish but not quite batshit crazy as Luca Turilli.

I’ve always had a vague idea of what this record is about – I haven’t looked at the booklet in years – but it’s essentially about the creation of the Universe and Earth by gods and goddesses, the rise of Man, and a fight between the gods as they decide which fate is best for humanity – to live, or to die. In the end, humanity prevails, living forever more under the watchful eye of Mother Gaia. It’s corny, it’s fun, and it’s epic as f&*%.

The intro track “Aeternalux” kind of sums up what the tone of the album is like. It opens with an ominous choir, then goes through a cinematic transition through its motifs and themes and allows a bunch of instruments in the fake orchestra to mingle with each other – horns and bells and flutes and strings and choirs all playing and teasing each other, creating this vibrant atmosphere and rich sonic texture. The brief, happy part with the horns playing a rapid melody is my favorite part.

And then we seamlessly transition into one of my very favorite power metal anthems, the perfectly titled, “…And Let The Show Begin.” The play of Life begins – “A big flame crossed the sky / Creation’s now divine / The astral law’s conducting a dance of stars” – Halfway through the piece the song breaks apart and you can actually hear applause. If this record is thought of like a play on some cosmic stage, this is the point where the camera pulls back away from the stage and focuses on the audience, the Gods and Goddesses watching from the shadows. And then it cuts back to the stage abruptly as the show carries on, leading into an early string climax that is incredibly reminiscent of Angra’s “Angels Cry.” Vitor Veiga hits every high note just right to sell the theatrics of this song, and he does it throughout the whole record.

And so the album carries on in that way, telling the story of Man and how the deities increasingly get tired of Man’s missteps and perceived failures, and eventually they have to decide whether or not Man gets to live or die. In the end, Mother Gaia has the last word and watches protectively over Man for the rest of their days. It's a symphonic adventure with plenty of tension and release and incredible playing from every member in the band (even the bassist gets a moment or two in the spotlight, just like on their follow-up Shambala) and when the story ends, there's always this feeling that washes over me, not unlike that feeling when you finish the last page of a good book that you just got lost in until you ran out of story to read.

In Summary: There just isn’t much I love more than some of the sounds on this record. The warm horns blaring behind a shreddy power metal solo which soars over rapid double bass drumming, coated in a thick sugary layer of strings and flutes (“…And Let The Show Begin”). An entire brass section roaring with celestial choirs (“Judgement Day”). Clean guitars, bells, and flutes to sing a song of pain (“Whispers and Pain of Mother Nature”). Everything from slow rockers (“Humanity”) to bonafied classic power metal (“Spirits of Light”). There’s even prog madness in “Choice Time” with an instrumental section I have never been able to properly transcribe. Sampling one song does not do this record justice. Every song is a special snowflake to me on Luxaeterna. The album closes with the title track, which is 100% orchestral, and the story ends with a rhythmic looping of the phrase, “Let the show begin again, let the luxaeterna exist forever” – and then the record ends with a lone piano playing a gentle melody.  This record has meant everything to me for the last 12 years!

Katt’s Favorites: …And Let The Show Begin, Here Comes The Life, Humanity, Choice Time, Judgement Day

Listen to “Luxaeterna” by Aquaria on Spotify

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Never heard of this band before, had to pause my Secret Sphere album to try this out... not bad!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Never heard of this band before, had to pause my Secret Sphere album to try this out... not bad!

You should play in roulettes, 'cause I think I've sent Aquaria in almost every one I've played. Glad you aren't repulsed!  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :lol  When I read this is between Epica and Turilli I thought maybe it was a good spot because I'm more like TAC where I don't want the symphonic to over power the metal.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Might not want to speak too soon. The symphonic almost overpowers the metal a lot in places, just not on the same level as Turilli. No talk about geometry and waveforms here but lots of cheese :lol

EDIT: Oh lord ya'll I am so excited for #13 you have no idea. Where's @twosuitsluke at  :corn

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yea, I was going to say, I thought they leaned more toward Turilli than Epica, not so much truly in the middle, but I didn't sample enough to make that general statement but I did kind of think that.  It seems around my border of what I can handle before the symphonic becomes too much.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Katt's Top 50 Albums v. On the black wind forever we ride on together [#13]
« Reply #937 on: July 16, 2019, 09:30:13 AM »
DRAGONFORCE
VALLEY OF THE DAMNED
Power Metal

released January 27th, 2003 via Sanctuary Records

1. Invocation of Apocalyptic Evil [:14]
2. Valley of the Damned [7:10]
3. Black Fire [5:47]
4. Black Winter Night [6:31]
5. Starfire [5:53]
6. Disciples of Babylon [7:17]
7. Revelations [6:53]
8. Evening Star [6:39]
9. Heart of a Dragon [5:23]
10. Where Dragons Rule* [5:51]

*Japanese bonus track

VALLEY OF THE DAMNED is

ZP Theart (Vocals)
Vadim Pruzhanov (Keyboards / Piano)
Herman Li (Guitars / Backing vocals)
Sam Totman (Guitars / Backing vocals)
Didier Almouzni (Drums)

WITH

Diccon Harper (Bass)
Clive Nolan (Backing vocals)

Long ago, in the Good Times, before the Age of Suck, before Herman Li plugged his Twitch streams 24/7 and spent half the streams thanking subscribers, before the Dark Lord Fred brought ruin to Dragonforce, before Dragonforce was a joke… there was Valley of the Damned.

It’s hard for me to be concise when talking about this album. I love it so much and it means so much to me because it’s one of the most important records in my life, and that’s no exaggeration. Most of the songs on this album rank among my favorite metal songs ever. “Black Winter Night” is my favorite Dragonforce song. “Evening Star” is better than most power metal bands’ entire careers. “Starfire” is a better metal ballad than most metal bands could dream of making. “Disciples of Babylon” has a great jazzy breakdown that shows a different side of the band than most people know. And “Heart of a Dragon” might take its melody from a nursery rhyme, but it somehow works perfectly with the lyrics, and the triumphant chorus is the perfect way to close the album… except for “Where Dragons Rule” which was written by original Dragonforce(heart) keyboardist Steve Williams, who would leave long before Valley was released, and would form Power Quest not long after.

ZP Theart may not have been the best singer for Dragonforce live – at least by the time of their third album, when he was not taking care of his voice and the tour schedule pushed him beyond his limits – but in the studio, he is still the definitive voice of the band in my opinion. He had range while keeping a distinct husky tone that lent some power to the vocals both in the high end and in the lower verses. I really miss his voice and the band kind of died for me when he split. He was my favorite aspect of early Dragonforce, and my favorite part of this album.

Power metal is a genre that’s plagued by cheesiness and corniness of all types, but in my opinion, the bands that lean into those elements the hardest tend to also be the greatest. Dragonforce is faster and heavier than a lot of power metal bands. Their melodies hit you in the face like the fist of an angry god – “listen to this, motherfucker!” – and they lean into it hard. Every song here is generally 200 BPM, with the odd exception like “Starfire” which is a ballad, and a moment or two in other songs. The lyrics, while corny, at least tend to make statements or tell a story, and aren’t as nonsensical and batshit crazy as they are on later records. But in the moment? All of this insanity crammed together into each song? Fuck yes, dude. GO BIG OR GO HOME. Normally feeling 'exhausted' after music is a bad thing for me, but with Dragonforce I want to finish a whole album feeling like I just got put through the ringer, like I was flying on the back of a dragon at the speed of sound for an hour with a sword in my hand.

In Summary: I could go on about this forever. Sufficed to say that Dragonforce – this era of Dragonforce – is one of the best bands to grace the power metal scene. There was a time when I’d listen to their first three albums multiple times, every day, for months on end, at all times of the day. When I play those records, especially Valley, I still feel a little bit of that unbridled enthusiasm and passion for music I felt when I was a kid. This record just fucking embraces everything I love about heavy, melodic, high energy music and everything from the keyboard patches to the singer's tone is perfect to me. Gold standard of power metal right here.

Katt’s Favorites: Valley of the Damned, Black Winter Night, Starfire, Evening Star, Heart of a Dragon, Where Dragons Rule

Listen to “Valley of the Damned” by Dragonforce on Spotify

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
valley of the damned is the one dragonforce song, and they made like 5 albums based on it. nice

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
valley of the damned is the one dragonforce song, and they made like 5 albums based on it. nice

I hate you :(  :heart

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I just grabbed my iPod to pull this up, but apparently I have everything else by them on it. I went to the basement to check my CD's and apparently I don't own this, but I do own every other Dragonforce CD. I just did a Reaching Into Infinity listen a couple pages back in this thread, and I don't even remember buying it, or the last 3 albums for that matter. :lol

I'll have to order Valley.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I just grabbed my iPod to pull this up, but apparently I have everything else by them on it. I went to the basement to check my CD's and apparently I don't own this, but I do own every other Dragonforce CD. I just did a Reaching Into Infinity listen a couple pages back in this thread, and I don't even remember buying it, or the last 3 albums for that matter. :lol

How does that happen?!  :lol You definitely gotta pick it up now. You gotta hear their roots, man! Sam and Herman actually sounded different from each other on this one.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

How does that happen?!  :lol

:lol  I don't know. :lol

It's $15.83 on Amazon. I'm not paying that. Used is 8.99 plus 3.99 ship.   :\

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

How does that happen?!  :lol

:lol  I don't know. :lol

It's $15.83 on Amazon. I'm not paying that. Used is 8.99 plus 3.99 ship.   :\

First search on discogs.com for lowest price + USD showed me a US seller selling a near mint copy of the original pressing, with shipping for just over $7. Go get it! Don't get the remixed & remastered version. It 'sounds' better but it is a fucking HOT album, it is one of the loudest records I've ever heard. Very uncomfortable to listen. EDIT: there's another sealed copy for $5 further down, but shipping is also $5 (wow)...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Hey, this -was- the DF album I liked most when I was 14 and listened to them after hearing them in guitar hero  :P