Author Topic: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. I bless the rains down in Africa [#1]  (Read 68177 times)

Offline Dave_Manchester

Re: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. Sometimes I wanna sleep in the street [#19]
« Reply #840 on: July 08, 2019, 04:54:49 PM »
Dark Sky Island is a very beautiful album and I agree with Katt that it's probably Enya's best. Her most consistently great, at least. It's easy for this kind of 'new age' music to get a bit samey over the length of an album but all the songs on this one are their own small worlds. It's certainly not for everyone but it's great for listening to on a long and lonely walk when you just want to detach from the rat race for a while and tune in to how simple and beautiful the world can be. Or when baked, that works too.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #841 on: July 08, 2019, 04:58:54 PM »
Dark Sky Island is a very beautiful album and I agree with Katt that it's probably Enya's best. Her most consistently great, at least. It's easy for this kind of 'new age' music to get a bit samey over the length of an album but all the songs on this one are their own small worlds. It's certainly not for everyone but it's great for listening to on a long and lonely walk when you just want to detach from the rat race for a while and tune in to how simple and beautiful the world can be. Or when baked, that works too.

Had no idea you were a fan of Dark Sky Island, Dave. That's really cool. Yeah, you're on the money. Not gonna lie, it is even better whilst dining on the Devil's lettuce...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #842 on: July 08, 2019, 06:57:30 PM »
In my senior year of high school the faculty finally allowed us to listen to our MP3 players during class downtime and lunch.

Man, do I feel old.  When I was a senior in high school, we all used discmans!  (Cue Stadler and "in my day, sonny, we had a walkman.")

I love Orinico Flow, but have never listened to much Enya.  I LOVE Enigma though.  Sampled a few of those tracks and they pretty much sound like the older Enya songs that I've heard.

I've never listened to Chroma Key.  I'll have to try a song or two to see if I like them. 

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #843 on: July 08, 2019, 07:02:04 PM »
Was that the Enya album you sent me in my last roulette? Or was it a song from that album in my first roulette? Either way, I remember not liking it very much. I think it had to do with my frame of mind while listening to it. I pretty much listen to most of my music while driving and I remember it not being conducive to that environment. I should give the album a listen when I'm at home just relaxing some evening..... :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #844 on: July 08, 2019, 07:07:16 PM »
Pup, I think I sent you "Even in the Shadows", you didn't like how repetitive it was (granted.. it is). That's a fair criticism, particularly if you're driving. Enya is so much better played in your downtime, when you're relaxing, or whenever you're at home on the weekend. I like playing Enya in the dark with all my colorful lights and candles. :)

Grappler, I hope you like Chroma Key. v_clortho mentioned Dead Air For Radios and I also feel very strongly about that album, it's better in some ways, but personally I just gravitate towards YGN's vibe a lot more. I recommend both though.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #845 on: July 09, 2019, 10:52:52 AM »
You Go Now, such a nice album indeed, I might relisten to it now, it's been a while

Offline Grappler

« Reply #846 on: July 09, 2019, 11:07:32 AM »
Listening to some of those Chroma Key links now.  This is too mellow for me.  Knowing that Kevin Moore is involved, I want to hear some Dream Theater styled prog metal, with a killer singer.  The vocals don't do it for me at all, and neither does the chill-out music...all coming from one of the most respected keyboardists in this genre.  Kudos to Kevin for following his muse, but I'd rather listen to I&W or Awake if I want to hear his music.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #847 on: July 09, 2019, 11:26:44 AM »
Listening to some of those Chroma Key links now.  This is too mellow for me.  Knowing that Kevin Moore is involved, I want to hear some Dream Theater styled prog metal, with a killer singer.  The vocals don't do it for me at all, and neither does the chill-out music...all coming from one of the most respected keyboardists in this genre.  Kudos to Kevin for following his muse, but I'd rather listen to I&W or Awake if I want to hear his music.

Darn, that's a shame. OSI might be more up your alley but probably still isn't what you're looking for.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #848 on: July 09, 2019, 11:36:41 AM »
Sounds like he wants DT from the KM era  :lol me too, honestly the mellowness is what holds it back for me too because I just enjoy upbeat music more.  But the fact it draws emotion from me is what I liked about it, which reminded me of DT with KM era.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #849 on: July 09, 2019, 11:48:33 AM »
I've actually never listened to OSI either.  Checking out a few tracks - that's a bit better musically, but Kevin's vocals just aren't my style. 

I'm like Cram - I want more upbeat or uptempo music.  Mellow stuff just puts me to sleep - quite literally, since I nap to Enigma's greatest hits, every single day while commuting. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #850 on: July 09, 2019, 12:43:24 PM »
I often choose new age stuff for napping too. A bit of David Arkenstone, some Kitaro, some Secret Garden especially. There's some good mellow stuff that's not sleep-inducing though. Including the next album on the list! :neverusethis:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Katt's Top 50 Albums v. Captain Trips Tastes The Rainbow [#18]
« Reply #851 on: July 09, 2019, 01:20:02 PM »
TYCHO
AWAKE

Electronic / Ambient / Post-Rock

released March 18th, 2014 via Fight Evil Records

1. Awake [4:43]
2. Montana [5:26]
3. L [4:37]
4. Dye [5:17]
5. See [5:18]
6. Apogee [4:20]
7. Spectre [3:46]
8. Plains [3:17]

AWAKE is

Scott Hansen (Bass / Drums / Guitar / Keyboards)
Zac Brown (Bass / Guitar)
Ricardo Ayala (Live drums)
Rory O’Connor (Live drums / Live drums engineering)
Count (Live drums engineering)

Fun fact: every track on this album has been used in the commercial bumps for Adult Swim at one point or another. I think that’s actually how I discovered this record.

This album suits every occasion, frankly. It’s another one of those albums I’ll play in any situation, and it’s my go-to for when I need background music for something. Because it’s entirely instrumental, it never intrudes, it never tries too hard, it just finds a groove and sticks to it for the duration of a given track. The guitars have some kind of processing on them to the point where I thought the entire record was recorded on just a synthesizer for a long time. And the guitar never ever does anything more than something basic – strum a couple chords, or plug away at the same playful rhythm that opens “Montana” and let the synths party and mingle with each other overhead. They actually stand out because of how little they’re used.

The feeling I get listening to this album is a concoction of happiness, comfort, reassurance, curiosity, and awe. Pretty much everything I love about electronic music is right here. There isn’t one abrasive synth patch on this record, it’s all soft and warm and delightfully… synthy. It’s just so fun and enjoyable to listen to. And the tracklist is perfectly ordered, almost as if it was crafted to be paired with a high or intoxication. It starts off innocuously with the title track, then goes through the highs and lows of becoming intoxicated, and when the record reaches “Plains” at the end, all that’s left is an emptied field where the party used to be, and the track is appropriately somber but it’s not a bummer. It’s like the party ended and you’re still tripping but only a little. To that extent, "Dye" would be the pinnacle of the trip, and also my favorite track.

Speaking of… There’s a lot to be said for substances and the arts, particularly music. A few years ago I put this on loop while I was tripping balls and due to the nature of LSD it made the experience exponentially more fun. Hearing the intricate layers of synths loop in on themselves over and over created a whole bunch of sonic textures I could never have heard sober. I’ve given up the acid since then because it’s so powerful, but I can’t help but associate this record with those good partying times in my life. I don't like to drink much - at specific events maybe, but generally I am the kind of guy who likes to get his buzz on, and I like to do it with other things. I'm not necessarily advocating it, because everybody is different, but I do think the pairing of them with music is one of my favorite things in the world.

In Summary: It’s music for when you want something chill and smooth but fun and active at the same time. Want to chill but not fall asleep? Enya is on the sleepier side of the spectrum. Tycho, at least this album particularly, is on the ‘party’ side of the spectrum. It has its gentle moments but there’s always a beat or groove to latch onto, something memorable and catchy. My Last.FM shows that this is my most-listened to album ever, but my scrobbles are highly inaccurate due to a couple resets and years of lost scrobbles – sufficed to say, though, that it’s definitely one of my most-played albums of all time. Of all the records in 20-10 on this list this one has the most potential to crack the top 10 as time goes on.

Katt’s Favorites: Montana, L, Dye, See, Spectre

Listen to “Awake” by Tycho on Spotify

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. Captain Trips Tastes The Rainbow [#18]
« Reply #852 on: July 09, 2019, 01:56:18 PM »
I wouldn't know anything about acid trips, but listening now and I can see it.  It's way more upbeat than the last so I wouldn't put this in the put to sleep category, but I can see it in the trippy music, chill out category.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #853 on: July 09, 2019, 01:58:57 PM »
I wouldn't know anything about acid trips, but listening now and I can see it.  It's way more upbeat than the last so I wouldn't put this in the put to sleep category, but I can see it in the trippy music, chill out category.

As a fellow fan of the herb, you should totally listen to this when you're getting your swerve on.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #854 on: July 09, 2019, 02:00:50 PM »
When I saw Captain Trips in the title, I was expecting Among The Living.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #855 on: July 09, 2019, 02:01:36 PM »

As a fellow fan of the herb, you should totally listen to this when you're getting your swerve on.

My go to stoner music is typically reggae (been listening to Dirty Heads lately), but I could see this being good for that as well

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #856 on: July 09, 2019, 02:48:25 PM »

My go to stoner music is typically reggae (been listening to Dirty Heads lately), but I could see this being good for that as well

Seeing them with 311 in 2 weeks.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #857 on: July 09, 2019, 02:50:48 PM »

Seeing them with 311 in 2 weeks.

Saw them both at Warped a couple weeks ago, and will see them both again in Philly next week and again in my hometown a week after that.  311 is one of my favorite bands and totally one of my stoner bands, but through them actually is how I discovered Dirty Heads a few years ago as they toured together before so I've seen Dirty Heads a few times now.  This tour they are coheadlining though so depending on your show, 311 might be opening for them.  Also, The Interrupters are opening for both of them and I like them a lot too (punk/ska music though not stoner).  I'd actually be surprised if you like Dirty Heads though Joe.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #858 on: July 09, 2019, 04:35:15 PM »
I've always been open to many styles of music.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #859 on: July 09, 2019, 04:38:39 PM »
I've always been open to many styles of music.

I know, I've yet to see you talk about this type of music though.  311 is rock influenced, Dirty Heads more hip hop.  What sold me on them, because I wasn't at first, was the live band.  No DJ, they have drums, percussion, keyboards, guitar, and bass, two singers.  Extra keyboard for the bassist.  They make it work well live.  Also, super chill music positive vibe music.

It's funny, as I derail Katt's thread with music he probably never heard of, but I was thinking if I did a top 50, this type of music would get the crickets like Katt's non metal music  :lol

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #860 on: July 09, 2019, 04:45:54 PM »
That's a tasty Tycho album and great background music for work.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #861 on: July 09, 2019, 05:17:02 PM »
Heck yeah seneca. I find the beats and overall soft nature of the album to be very helpful in 'zoning in' to work or whatever you're primarily focused on.

cram, I'm more likely to listen to something I've never heard of before, actually, so I'd totally check out the albums on your top 50 if you ever make one. Especially because I like trying stuff I've never dug into, like reggae. The other night I was listening to some mbube music, from Africa.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #862 on: July 09, 2019, 05:26:06 PM »
That Tycho album is really nice. Great chill out music. :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
DREAM THEATER
IMAGES AND WORDS

Progressive Metal

released July 7th, 1992 via Atco Records

1. Pull Me Under [8:12]
2. Another Day [4:23]
3. Take the Time [8:20]
4. Surrounded [5:29]
5. Metropolis (Part 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper) [9:31]
6. Under a Glass Moon [7:02]
7. Wait for Sleep [2:31]
8. Learning to Live [11:30]

IMAGES AND WORDS is

Kevin James LaBrie (Vocals)
John Myung (Bass)
Kevin Moore (Keyboards)
John Petrucci (Guitars)
Mike Portnoy (Drums)

WITH

Jay Beckenstein (Alto saxophone on 2)

I don’t really have much to say about this album for obvious reasons: we all know about it. Just briefly I’d like to explain why I love this album so much.

This was the first prog record I ever heard. “A Change of Seasons” was my first prog song ever, but Images and Words was my first venture into the deep end of the rock and metal pool. I still remember where and when I was when I heard it, and how amazed I was at the musicianship and sonic landscapes I was being ushered through. No way a man can sing that high – and how the hell are they able to solo over these awkward beats, where do the riffs end? I think this record began my exploration of gifted and complex musicianship beyond GnR and Iron Maiden, and 16 years later, I feel jaded and hard to impress with new artists. I miss the sheer awe and mystery of records like this, before I knew how music worked and how to write and play. Every member of this band is a huge influence on me in no small part thanks to this record, and I can’t believe I got to see them play it live in 2017 alongside "A Change of Seasons." Kind of felt like part of my musical life was coming full circle and wrapped up right there.

In Summary: Dream Theater’s second greatest album is one of my most treasured albums and I think it’s one of the best rock/metal records ever made. It played a big role in me going to school for music and getting my degree in piano. It’s simply amazing. Nuff said.

Katt’s Favorites: Another Day (music video), Take the Time (music video), Surrounded, Under A Glass Moon, Learning to Live

Listen to “Images and Words” by Dream Theater on Spotify

• DTF.org Member
Never heard of them...
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Finally an album that makes my top 500!  :D
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
My #1 album of all time.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I figured if there's one album on the list everyone can come together and appreciate, it's this one. Except I'm gonna lose ya'll on the next one.  :lol Honestly from this album to #4 it's extremely close and this could easily be in the top 10... but I had to draw it somewhere. For many years this was in my top 10.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
never heard of this one. katt, get better taste in music :getoffmylawn:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
never heard of this one. katt, get better taste in music :getoffmylawn:

#16: East of the Wall - The Apologist :metardica:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Ruba

Ohh Dream Theatre... those guys suck...

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
My #1 album of all time.

Finally, something we agree on!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
My #1 album of all time.

Finally, something we agree on!

Cheers, same here  :yarr

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
My gateway drug to prog metal.