Author Topic: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. I bless the rains down in Africa [#1]  (Read 66824 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. Time to return to the tribe [#36]
« Reply #455 on: June 15, 2019, 06:26:21 PM »
HAHAHA. Holy shit. Amazing.  :rollin
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #456 on: June 16, 2019, 03:57:58 AM »
I am fucking on board with Rocket Ride.  Edguy were one of my first power metal bands and I fucking love them.  For some reason, if I wish to spin some Edguy, this is normally my go to Edguy album.  Just great songs, lots of variety, Tobi sounds great and just a great bunch of songs.  Love it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #457 on: June 16, 2019, 06:31:02 AM »
My Go To Edguy album is The Savage Poetry.

But I'm not a huge fan. I do have Rocket Ride, but honestly couldn't tell much about it. Maybe I'll spin it today to play along to the thread.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #458 on: June 16, 2019, 07:11:06 AM »
OK, just got through most of this.

Sacrifice is a good tune, as is The Asylum.

Return To The Tribe would be a great Kiske Avantasia tune, but that "voice solo" blows. I've heard that before and thought it sounded ridiculous. I think it undermines a seriously excellent song.

Catch Of The Century is decent as is Out Of Vogue.

Similarly to the ridiculous "voice solo", Trinidad and FWF, as album tracks really undermine a fairly decent album. The album closes on such duds. Had they been tacked on as B Sides, I think they'd be more digestible.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #459 on: June 16, 2019, 08:43:15 AM »
That voice solo rules. This album captures them having fun while delivering some seriously good music. RR rocks, glad Kade is on board.  What's wrong with Trinidad?? :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #460 on: June 16, 2019, 09:00:56 AM »
Nothing wrong with Trinidad, but it's a B side at best. I barely care about Edguy proper, I certainly am not going to be interested in hearing them just fuck around.

The album itself really isn't that bad, but leave the crap off to the side.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #461 on: June 16, 2019, 03:38:52 PM »
HAHAHA. Holy shit. Amazing.  :rollin

I almost just spit out my drink seeing that  :rollin

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #462 on: June 16, 2019, 09:23:47 PM »

Offline pg1067

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, I think the back and forth and difference in opinions is super fun. I'm just legit surprised by the near universal criticism of these particular albums. It's fascinating to me. I'm glad you're having fun  :biggrin:

If it makes you feel any better, my disdain for GnR isn't at all limited to the UYI albums.   :biggrin:
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #464 on: June 17, 2019, 01:10:16 PM »
I only have Edguy's greatest hits and Hellfire Club.  Just listened to Rocket Ride, and there's a few songs I like, but it's a little too light for my tastes. 

This thread is generally getting me to listen to albums I've never checked out, so I that's a good thing.   :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #465 on: June 17, 2019, 01:30:51 PM »
Yay!

I'm taking my time before I post the next writeup because the next 3 are from my 3 most favorite metal bands in the world. #35... tonight! Featuring special guest, Huge Disappointment From The Audience!  :biggrin:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #466 on: June 17, 2019, 01:32:45 PM »
DT12?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #467 on: June 17, 2019, 01:34:23 PM »
DT12?

I just vomited in my mouth a little. That album is so bad it hurts to talk about. It's so bad because it's not even that bad, it's just super fucking boring and like the band phoned it in. Like they gave it the MP treatment and wrote it in a week and said yeah that'll do, have some shit for your audio breakfast, a nice big bowl of Shit-Os for your ears. Yuck.

... no, DT12 is not next.  :lol

Offline romdrums

« Reply #468 on: June 17, 2019, 01:39:43 PM »
DT12?

I just vomited in my mouth a little. That album is so bad it hurts to talk about. It's so bad because it's not even that bad, it's just super fucking boring and like the band phoned it in. Like they gave it the MP treatment and wrote it in a week and said yeah that'll do, have some shit for your audio breakfast, a nice big bowl of Shit-Os for your ears. Yuck.

It's in his top 10.  :hat
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #469 on: June 17, 2019, 02:03:17 PM »
DT12?

Wow, one thing we agree on

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #470 on: June 17, 2019, 02:10:17 PM »
That album really is a poor effort from a traditionally great band. It's the Test For Echo of Dream Theater. The only thing worse is WDADU.

There are two Dream Theater albums on this list.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: June 17, 2019, 03:35:57 PM »
That album really is a poor effort from a traditionally great band. It's the Test For Echo of Dream Theater. The only thing worse is WDADU.

I'd probably put Systematic Chaos in this place of DT12 personally, but I feel like most of the fan base (clearly not us) would switch DT12 with TA for this scenario

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #472 on: June 17, 2019, 03:45:39 PM »

I'd probably put Systematic Chaos in this place of DT12 personally, but I feel like most of the fan base (clearly not us) would switch DT12 with TA for this scenario

Oh yeah for sure. I think pretty highly of TA even though I don't revisit it much. Then again I don't listen to much DT these days anyway. The bottom of the barrel for DT for me is Black Clouds, then DT12, then WDADU at the very very bottom.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #473 on: June 17, 2019, 03:50:20 PM »
Wow, DT12 is brilliant.  Thought that paragraph must have been talking about The Astonishing for a moment there.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #474 on: June 17, 2019, 04:11:35 PM »
Hey good news! DT12 and The Astonishing are my least favorite DT albums so now everyone can be mad at me :metardica:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Katt's Top 50 Albums v. Gloria, gloria perpetua [#35]
« Reply #475 on: June 17, 2019, 06:52:19 PM »
RHAPSODY
DAWN OF VICTORY

Symphonic Power Metal

released October 30th, 2000 via LMP

1. Lux Triumphans [2:00]
2. Dawn of Victory [4:47]
3. Triumph for My Magic Steel [5:47]
4. The Village of Dwarves [3:52]
5. Dargor, Shadowlord of the Black Mountain [4:48]
6. The Bloody Rage of the Titans [6:24]
7. Holy Thunderforce [4:21]
8. Trolls in the Dark [2:33]
9. The Last Winged Unicorn [5:43]
10. The Mighty Ride of the Firelord [9:16]

DAWN OF VICTORY is

Fabio Lione (Vocals)
Luca Turilli (Guitars)
Alessandro Lotta (Bass)
Alex Staropoli (Keyboards / Piano / Harpsichord)

WITH

Thunderforce (Drums)
Manuel Staropoli (Baroque recorder)
Constanze Backes (Baroque female vocals)
Laurence Vanryne (Child's voice on 8)
Maggie Ardorf (Violin)
Helmstedt Kammerchoir (Choir)
Robert Hunecke-Rizzo (Choir vocals)
Thomas Rettke (Choir vocals)
Michael “Miro” Rodenberg (Choir vocals)
Cinzia Rizzo (Choir vocals)
Florinda Klevisser (Choir vocals)

“Mighty warriors from the silver hills march, all led by golden winds. Elves and trolls from holy mystic woods run through the last snow. He's now coming from the middle lands, handling proud his magic sword. Glory, pride, and honor ride with him; burns the flame of north,” chants the massive choir at the start of this album. This is Dawn of Victory, the third of five chapters in Rhapsody's Emerald Sword Saga. Dawn of Victory describes the Warrior of Ice, now in possession of the legendary Emerald Sword and still mourning the loss of the mighty dragon Tharos, and his struggle against the Dark Lord Akron and his high captain Dargor.

No other Rhapsody album sounds quite like this one. It's very sharp. The synth string patches are noticeably fake but enjoyable, and the lead violin adds a distinct quality to these songs that the other albums lack, especially once they start incorporating entire orchestras. The synth lead tone is also a very flat and standard square or sawtooth lead that makes it sound more dated than it actually is. Fabio's accent is very thick here, but I also think it has one of his best vocal performances. He is clean and cuts right through the mix, and sells the sunny, triumphant choruses with aplomb and passion like a great vocalist should. Luca's guitars are loud and his baroque style of playing makes almost every note distinct and crystal clear, focusing on concise and almost mathematical musical phrasings.

This is adventurous metal; it's got choirs and keyboards and horns and woodwinds and timpanis and all the corniness of Lord of the Rings in music form. Lots of enthusiasm in the songwriting for various instruments, like the bagpipe-ish leads and repetitive campfire-like verse structure of “The Village of Dwarves,” or the violin carrying melody over heavy metal in “Triumph for My Magic Steel.” Choirs are used appropriately, both to beef up choruses and also to add a layer of chanting behind the lead vocals to invoke an operatic sound. And it all comes together in the 9 minute epic “The Mighty Ride of the Firelord” which has one of the strongest, most epic “fuck yeah” choruses in all power metal. It also has a riff that calls back to the last record, Symphony of Enchanted Lands, and toward the end the main motif of the album from “Lux Triumphans” reappears, but with different lyrics.

“Dargor...” is another wonderful song that's excellent partially because it's so memorable but also partially because it doesn't have many frills. It gets right to business with a strong riff and strong vocals and is instantly memorable with the super cheerful chorus. “Bloody Rage...” is a ballad that starts soft but builds to a gargantuan hook with choirs descending like a storm onto the swell from the rest of the band. Alex Staropoli's brother Manuel plays a real baroque recorder and has continued to do this since, and that thing is just a delight to listen to, but it's a little on the squeal-y side on this record because it's paired with the violin.

In Summary: This is my 5th – fifth! - favorite Rhapsody album and I love it to death. Please give my favorites a listen. 20 years after this album was being recorded it's still one of the greatest power metal records to date. It fuses together fantasy, adventure, and heavy metal all into one brilliantly composed package. It's a niche band and style, and it's definitely corny as hell, but it's also super fun and creative and that's exactly what music is all about. Also it has Fabio Lione and he's a stud so ya'll put some respecc on it

Katt's Favorites: Dawn of Victory, The Village of Dwarves, Dargor, Shadowlord of the Black Mountain, The Mighty Ride of the Firelord

Listen to "Dawn of Victory" by Rhapsody on Spotify

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. Gloria, gloria perpetua [#35]
« Reply #476 on: June 17, 2019, 06:53:36 PM »
So are you saying there's 4 MORE Rhapsody albums on this list?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #477 on: June 17, 2019, 06:57:02 PM »

Them and one other band.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #478 on: June 17, 2019, 07:03:49 PM »

Them and one other band.

Rhapsody Of Fire??  :neverusethis:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #479 on: June 17, 2019, 07:09:23 PM »
Ohhh that's good... brb editing list :neverusethis:

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #480 on: June 17, 2019, 07:37:03 PM »

Them and one other band.

Rhapsody Of Fire??  :neverusethis:
And don't forget Luca Turilli's Rhapsody  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #481 on: June 17, 2019, 07:40:33 PM »
 :lol! I think Luca's gone off the rails since he left. All this quantum futurism cinematic stuff is just too much. A few songs aren't bad...

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #482 on: June 17, 2019, 07:41:41 PM »
:lol! I think Luca's gone off the rails since he left. All this quantum futurism cinematic stuff is just too much. A few songs aren't bad...
Ascending to Infinity is a good album though.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #483 on: June 17, 2019, 08:52:36 PM »
It is good. Sometimes it's a bit too much but that cover of Luna is amazing. He lost his mind with Prometheus though.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #484 on: June 17, 2019, 09:20:47 PM »
He lost his mind with Prometheus though.
I agree with you there.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #485 on: June 18, 2019, 01:54:28 AM »
Was away for some days so here's my catchup:

Avantasia - Wicked Symphony is great, not as great as the Scarecrow, but great nonetheless. And Scales Of Justice just fuckin' rules.   :metal :metal :metal

And GnR: Sure there's some filler on both discs but the rest is just great great great great and great, if you get my meaning. And no, it wouldn't work as a single album because there's more than 70 minutes of good songs on there. And yes, Axl's a prick and an asshole and sometimes (mostly?) immature in a not funny kind of way, but still a great rock frontman. And his voice, when he's changing to that singing chainsaw mode is an aquired taste, but for me it works. And yes, this isn't Appetite part 2 and that's good, because those UYI records as a whole are even better. And the fact that they imploded shortly after has nothing to do with unfulfilled (by some) expectations, they were on self-destruct mode from the beginning. And although I used to hate that attitude (and still do) it was part of the appeal and they couldn't have done those records (and Appetite) if they were in a different mind-set.

Saw GnR live on that tour and they fuckin' ruled, so much pure energy.  :metal :metal :metal

Can't comment on Edguy and Rhapsody.

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #486 on: June 18, 2019, 04:56:23 AM »
Never could get into Rhapsody to be honest.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #487 on: June 18, 2019, 06:16:06 AM »
Yeah, more power metal.... :puke:

I used to like this band a lot. I remember listening to some of these songs quite often. Not anymore though.

I don't think I've ever listened to Edguy, but that cover is all over the place. I actually like it.

When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #488 on: June 18, 2019, 06:43:47 AM »
I used to have that Rhapsody album and then sold it at least 10 years ago, if not longer.  For a while, I got tired of power metal and I figured that the only Rhapsody disc I'd ever need was the first Symphony of Enchanted Lands.  Their albums just tended to blend together and there was just too much coming out at once, from Rhapsody of Fire, Luca Turilli, etc.  I stopped wanting to keep track of it all, especially as I was more into thrash and death metal during those years.

Now, I'm swinging back towards enjoying power metal more often, but I have no desire to get any more Rhapsody albums aside from the one disc I have, which I still love. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #489 on: June 18, 2019, 07:28:51 AM »
It's the Test For Echo of Dream Theater.

HAHAHA, that may be the funniest thing I've read here in weeks.  Seriously.  (And I don't mean "funny" as in "you're fucking whack", I mean "funny" as in "laugh out loud".)  I'm not a fan of "Test For Echo".