Author Topic: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. I bless the rains down in Africa [#1]  (Read 66853 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Luke, I totally get that. I have that mantra myself. I've gone through entire discographies in an effort to find something to appreciate by a band but it's very tedious to do.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
You're really missing out and I can guarantee there's some stuff on the Illusion albums that would surprise you, in a good way..

I mean I've obviously heard all the hits and they're fine, just not really my jam. I've never been a fan of Axl Rose and stories of his antics have not given me any inclination to give them a shot..

I'm sure there are songs I might really dig but there's just too much good stuff out there I'll love, to waste time on stuff I'll find ok.

I'm on board with all the power metal though  :metal

Actually kind of exactly how I feel.  I know the hits, they are great, but never really had interest in actually listening to them.  Maybe my loss, but they are just one of many bands I've heard that I've never sought the need to dig further into.  Also on board with power metal of course

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I should be the one posting that gif now.  WTF @ the amount of disrespect on UYI here but y'all like prog. Fucking... really. That's like hating on weed but loving sleeping pills.   :lol
You know, it's all in good fun. Even though I only really like a few of the albums you've posted so far, I enjoy seeing other peoples music tastes and reading about what makes these particular albums so enjoyable to you.

It is what it's all about, brother.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dave_Manchester

I think Gunners are one of those bands who have a song (in their case, Estranged) that you can point out to a newbie and say: If you don't like that, you probably won't like the band, because that song encompasses and sums up every great thing about them. So what I'm getting at is, if anyone here isn't familiar with the band but you want to dip your toe in the water, listen to Estranged. If you don't like that song then the band almost certainly isn't for you (and you should probably give Milhouse his 5 bucks back for your soul before it's too late). If you do like it...move onto stuff like Breakdown, Civil War and Coma.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I should be the one posting that gif now.  WTF @ the amount of disrespect on UYI here but y'all like prog. Fucking... really. That's like hating on weed but loving sleeping pills.   :lol
You know, it's all in good fun. Even though I only really like a few of the albums you've posted so far, I enjoy seeing other peoples music tastes and reading about what makes these particular albums so enjoyable to you.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, I think the back and forth and difference in opinions is super fun. I'm just legit surprised by the near universal criticism of these particular albums. It's fascinating to me. I'm glad you're having fun  :biggrin:
^this and this.

You do have Dave, Bill, and Tim on your side. But it's also quite telling that the four of you agree on something.  Though, I'm really not sure WHAT it tells us. Something very - VERY - strange I'm sure.  :rollin
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Estranged is one of the greatest songs ever recorded. Period.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, I think the back and forth and difference in opinions is super fun. I'm just legit surprised by the near universal criticism of these particular albums. It's fascinating to me. I'm glad you're having fun  :biggrin:
^this and this.

You do have Dave, Bill, and Tim on your side. But it's also quite telling that the four of you agree on something.  Though, I'm really not sure WHAT it tells us. Something very - VERY - strange I'm sure.  :rollin

Two words..

Temporary Insanity.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
100% agree with Dave and TAC.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
100% agree with TAC.

That must've hurt. :lol

Offline Dave_Manchester

^^ He said me too dammit.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :lol

That wasn't the part that hurt though. :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. Still talking to myself and nobody's home [#37]
« Reply #431 on: June 14, 2019, 09:04:01 PM »
Might as well close the day out with the most predictable next one. Since it's been talked about a little already I'll get 36 up not too long after this.

GUNS N' ROSES
USE YOUR ILLUSION II

Hard Rock / Heavy Metal

released September 17th, 1991 by Geffen Records

1. Civil War [7:42]
2. 14 Years [4:21]
3. Yesterdays [3:14]
4. Knockin' on Heaven's Door (Bob Dylan cover) [5:36]
5. Get in the Ring [5:42]
6. Shotgun Blues [3:23]
7. Breakdown [7:04]
8. Pretty Tied Up (The Perils of Rock n' Roll Decadence) [4:48]
9. Locomotive (Complicity) [8:42]
10. So Fine [4:08]
11. Estranged [9:23]
12. You Could Be Mine [5:43]
13. Don't Cry (Alt. Lyrics) [4:45]
14. My World [1:24]

USE YOUR ILLUSION II is

W. Axl Rose (Lead and backing vocals / Piano / Whistling / Rhythm guitar on 6)
Slash (Lead and acoustic guitars / Banjo / Backing vocals / Rhythm guitar on 7 and 9)
Izzy Stradlin (Guitars / Sitar /Backing vocals / Lead vocals on 2)
Duff McKagan (Bass / Percussion / Lead vocals on 10)
Matt Sorum (Drums / Backing vocals)
Dizzy Reed (Keyboards / Backing vocals)

WITH

Steven Adler (Drums on 1)
Johann Langlie (Drums / Keyboards / Sound effects on 14)
The Waters (Backing vocals on 4)
Howard Teman (Piano on 10)
Shannon Hoon (Lead vocals on 13)

This album comes with some caveats. I do not like to acknowledge My World, because that song is an abomination. I don't like the alternate “Don't Cry” lyrics much. I don't like “So Fine” very much either. Get in the Ring and “Shotgun Blues” are kind of cringey at times, but “Get in the Ring” is so over-the-top that I love it. It's just dumb fun.

This is a beautiful album when it reels it in, and goes full bore when it's angry. I like that. I like Axl's lyrics, which can be poetic and sophisticated (“Estranged,” “Breakdown,” “Civil War”), or furious and heavy metal (“You Could Be Mine”). Most of my favorite Guns N' Roses lyrics are on these songs, as well as “Locomotive” which has a very weird effect on most of Axl's voice.

But what makes this album even better is the piano. Dizzy Reed is featured a lot on Use Your Illusion I, but it's Use Your Illusion II where he shines. He's much more prominent here, being a key player in most of the songs. And those songs never get quite as intense as the ones on UYI1, but they're energetic in a different way. Again, 10, 13, and 14 are tracks I'm not fond of, but the rest of the album is just that damn good. There has always, ever since the first listen, been something very attractive about the generally mellow vibe about most of the songs on this album.

In Summary: As an adult I identify more with Use Your Illusion 2 these days than 1. The piano featuring heavily in the songs is a major factor for me loving it so much, but honestly, growing up with it, I've just always loved the sound of this band and what they're doing here. “Locomotive,” “Estranged,” and “Breakdown” are three of the best Guns N' Roses songs with some of their best lyrics and composition. It's not perfect and I understand why people don't like it, even I have a few complaints, but the rest is so god damned good it's had a pretty big impact on my entire life and I still love it today. The piano, the singing, the imagery, the emotional swells, the solos and bluesy playing... hell yeah.

Katt's Favorites: Yesterdays (music video), Breakdown, Locomotive, Estranged (music video)

Listen to "Use Your Illusion II" by Guns N' Roses on Spotify except it doesn't have Yesterdays for some reason...

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #432 on: June 14, 2019, 09:21:00 PM »
Yep, a great album. Civil War, 14 Years, Yesterdays, Breakdown, Locomotive, So Fine, Estranged and You Could Be Mine...superb songs.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #433 on: June 14, 2019, 09:29:50 PM »
Never was a GnR fan, though I am sure I liked Sweet Child of Mine when it was hot, because at that time, who didn't? The only other song I really liked was Civil War. When I first heard the "What we've got here...." intro, I thought it was an old woman speaking. I didn't know the source. Then when I watched the movie years later, I was all "whoa... that is a man delivering that line!"
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
I can't get over how funny of a band name Edguy is. I'm surprised Avantasia wasn't named like, Bobdude instead

:rollin :rollin :rollin

That's funny.

Reminds me of.............

:)
I actually had that CD...... :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: June 14, 2019, 10:20:45 PM »
Is there really an instruction on the sticker to the music store on where to stock this album? And if you couldn't figure to place it on the rock section, are you really qualified to work at a music store?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #436 on: June 15, 2019, 04:29:18 AM »
Fucking more GnR?! Ugh.....jk.

I'm actually more intrigued about Guy Mann-Dude.  Can't wait to check that one out.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: June 15, 2019, 04:47:28 AM »
I love You Could Be Mine, Pretty Tied Up, Civil War (overplayed on the radio, mind you), and Get in the Ring.  The rest, meh - at least, that's how I felt 27 years ago.  We'll see what today's listen for both of them brings.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #438 on: June 15, 2019, 04:56:15 AM »
Let it be known that even the rest of the band didn't know about My World until the album dropped thanks to Axl so don't really give much attention to that one please... for your sake. :)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #439 on: June 15, 2019, 05:29:30 AM »
I've never been a big fan of G&R but Civil War is a killer tune. My favorite from them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #440 on: June 15, 2019, 06:32:50 AM »
So many great tunes here.

Locomotive
Breakdown (Slash's solo at the end is amazing) I would've loved to have heard that without Axl over it. I'm with Slash on that one)
So Fine (Love Duff's vocals here. So much character)
14 Years (Ditto for Izzy)
..and of course the mighty Estranged.

I totally get being turned off by Axl, or think the imagery of Slash and his top hat might look foolish, but pound for pound, this is some of the best music these ears have heard.

There are songs I skip, or didn't make it to my Illusion United playlist, but I don't think that takes away from these album at all. On most albums you're lucky to get a couple of really good tunes anyway. On these, you get a handful of bona fide phenomenal epic tunes. All songs are not created equal. The high points on these albums more than make up for some of the lesser tracks. And even then, there might be 3, maybe 4 songs across both albums that I don't care for.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #441 on: June 15, 2019, 06:37:49 AM »
On another note, Duff McKagen's first book "It's So Easy,  And Other Lies is absolutely phenomenal. It's easily the best rock star autobiography I've read, and might be one of the all time best books I've ever read across all genres.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 09:33:52 AM by TAC »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #442 on: June 15, 2019, 06:57:38 AM »
Fucking more GnR?! Ugh.....jk.

I'm actually more intrigued about Guy Mann-Dude.  Can't wait to check that one out.

You're the man  :biggrin:

Some trivia for ya...........

Ever heard the song Shocker from the movie soundtrack ?? - the band (Dudes of Wrath )  was Paul Stanley, Desmond Child , Guy Mann Dude , Vivian Campbell, Rudy Sarzo  and Tommy Lee .
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #443 on: June 15, 2019, 07:09:32 AM »
Absolutely. That's a great song. I had the Shocker soundtrack back in the day.
Megadeth, Alice Cooper, Dangerous Toys..

There were a number of really good soundtracks about that time...
Shocker
Dudes
Last Action Hero
River's Edge (My all time favorite movie!)

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: June 15, 2019, 07:25:08 AM »
It dawned on me this morning that the UYI albums are my GnR version of what Hysteria is to TAC for Def Leppard. Just wrapped up my listen of UYI I, and will try to tackle II his aft. I'm not going to ruin Fathers Day by starting it off with that.

Thoughts to follow.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #445 on: June 15, 2019, 09:08:50 AM »
I actually thought of that as well after reading what you posted yesterday. The albums we are so violently against are really the ones that disappointed us the most.

Sometimes, time heals these wounds(looking at you, Signals).

Offline Lethean

« Reply #446 on: June 15, 2019, 10:55:10 AM »

There are songs I skip, or didn't make it to my Illusion United playlist, but I don't think that takes away from these album at all. On most albums you're lucky to get a couple of really good tunes anyway.

This may be true in the grand scheme of all albums ever... but I guess not on the albums I listen to. :P  I'm an album listener though - I sometimes listen on shuffle or make playlists, but the majority of the time when I'm listening to music, it's to an album.  And I don't find myself skipping songs much at all; maybe I just don't buy albums where I feel I'd be doing a lot of skipping.  So I suppose I could be missing out on great individual songs, but eh - I don't care too much.

I actually have both of these albums but wouldn't have bought them.  There are some cool songs, but not enough for me and I don't care for Axl's voice, so that pretty much kills it for me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #447 on: June 15, 2019, 12:17:50 PM »

There are songs I skip, or didn't make it to my Illusion United playlist, but I don't think that takes away from these album at all. On most albums you're lucky to get a couple of really good tunes anyway.

This may be true in the grand scheme of all albums ever... but I guess not on the albums I listen to. :P  I'm an album listener though - I sometimes listen on shuffle or make playlists, but the majority of the time when I'm listening to music, it's to an album.  And I don't find myself skipping songs much at all; maybe I just don't buy albums where I feel I'd be doing a lot of skipping.  So I suppose I could be missing out on great individual songs, but eh - I don't care too much.

I hear ya, Lethean. At times I can be album dominant, like if I'm driving, but I can also be song dominant, like if I'm home watching a game or something.

My point wasn't about skipping songs, but stating that like most albums, there's a couple great tunes, a bunch of good ones, and one or two that I may not care for.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #448 on: June 15, 2019, 01:19:27 PM »
Even my most favorite albums might have a song or two I don't care for, see UYI2. But when I consider the product as a whole, it doesn't have to be 100%, sometimes the strengths outweigh the weaknesses. I don't have a preference myself when it comes to listening to albums in order or not... I just let the mood dictate what I wanna hear.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Katt's Top 50 Albums v. Time to return to the tribe [#36]
« Reply #449 on: June 15, 2019, 02:47:56 PM »
EDGUY
ROCKET RIDE

Hard Rock / Power Metal

released January 20th, 2006 via Nuclear Blast

1. Sacrifice [8:03]
2. Rocket Ride [4:49]
3. Wasted Time [5:48]
4. Matrix [4:10]
5. Return to the Tribe [6:07]
6. The Asylum [7:39]
7. Save Me [3:47]
8. Catch of the Century [4:03]
9. Out of Vogue [4:36]
10. Superheroes [3:20]
11. Trinidad [3:29]
12. Fucking with Fire (Hair Force One) [4:22]

ROCKET RIDE is

Tobias Sammet (Vocals)
Jens Ludwig (Lead guitar)
Dirk Sauer (Rhythm guitar)
Tobias Exxel (Bass)
Felix Bohnke (Drums)

WITH

Amanda Somerville (Backing vocals)
Oliver Hartmann (Backing vocals)
Ralf Zdiarstek (Backing vocals)
Thomas Rettke (Backing vocals)
Michael “Miro” Rodenberg (Keyboards / Orchestrations)

Edguy fans will be aghast that Hellfire Club and Mandrake are both not in this list. Honorable mentions though. Very tough decision leaving them out.

Okay, so, everyone has a different tolerance for silliness or humor or fun in their rock and metal. I get it. I think Gloryhammer is the musical equivalent of Warren in There's Something About Mary, but they have their audience. I guess it's people who think Rhapsody is too serious, which is ironic because Rhapsody never dressed up on stage. Their Chicago show sold out, did you know that? What the fuck? Seriously.

Anyway, this album is silly, with that big 80s over-the-top vibe at times (but not quite AOR), and some people think it's a bad album because of it, except there's some solid, catchy, heavy metal and hard rock here, with a healthy dose of pop thrown in. People who say pop contaminates metal or is a blight on the genre are wrong. “Matrix” is fun as hell BECAUSE of the pulsing synth groove and the party anthem-ish chorus. “Return to the Tribe” is an infectious, high speed power metal song with one of the best Edguy choruses ever, but there's a fake guitar solo here; Tobias Sammet is screaming wildly, just distorted and processed to sound like a guitar. Amazing. “Save Me” is a surprisingly sweet pop rock ballad. Very easy listening.

Tobias sounds amazing. Fans of later Avantasia would probably like him on this, I think he sounds much less shouty, and much nicer in the soft moments than in recent years. Felix's drums sound gigantic and Jens's riffs are simple but effective. Great solos and a lovely tone throughout the whole record. Everything gels together so well.

Most of these songs give off this vibe of just having fun. The album closes out with two – in my opinion – very good songs that are fun without being embarrassing, “Trinidad” and “Fucking With Fire.” This is the humor Edguy was good at, but on later albums, especially Age of the Joker, the humor just doesn't work. Here it does. I especially love “Trinidad”'; a guy just loves leaving his girl to party his ass off in Trinidad. Hilarious.

In Summary: Is it as 'epic' as other Edguy albums? No, but it's their most consistently fun, I think, and I tend to reach for this one when I want an album that straddles the lines between hard rock, power metal, AOR, and being a little tongue-in-cheek without going overboard with irony. It has amazing vocals, it's produced like a power metal record so it has that huge sound, and has fun while rocking out. Not nearly as bad as some Edguy fans claim it is, and the next couple of records make it look that much better.

Katt's Favorites: Sacrifice, Return to the Tribe, Out of Vogue, Trinidad

Listen to "Rocket Ride" by Edguy on Spotify
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 02:54:34 PM by Kattelox »

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Re: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. Time to return to the tribe [#36]
« Reply #450 on: June 15, 2019, 04:50:20 PM »
That album cover......just.......wow... :justshootme:

:mrlol:

:biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #451 on: June 15, 2019, 04:57:49 PM »
Sorry if it's been asked already but how the hell is that band name pronounced? Ed Guy? Ed Gway? Edge EE?

Offline Lethean

« Reply #452 on: June 15, 2019, 05:04:20 PM »
Hmm...

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: June 15, 2019, 05:08:19 PM »
Ed Guy.

They're better known for their power metal. But I went with the hard rock one..

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #454 on: June 15, 2019, 05:32:43 PM »

life has many doors, edguy