Author Topic: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. I bless the rains down in Africa [#1]  (Read 67932 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Katt's Top 50 Albums v. Like firewings rising from the stars [#49]
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2019, 06:25:55 AM »
AQUARIA
SHAMBALA
Symphonic Power Metal

released September 21st, 2007 via Avalon Records*

1. Hope (instrumental) [1:28]
2. Heart of the Gods [4:07]
3. Expedition [5:51]
4. Into the Forest [9:48]
5. Lost [6:59]
6. Iara [5:15]
7. Shambala [5:08]
8. Child of the Universe [7:45]
9. Firewings [5:35]
10. Skies of Amazonia [6:50]
11. Liberty [7:37]
12. Neo (bonus track) [2:43]

SHAMBALA is

Vitor Veiga (Vocals)
Gustavo di Pádua (Guitars)
Roberto Scripillitti  (Guitars)
Fernando Giovanetti (Bass)
Alberto Kury (Keyboards / Orchestrations)
Bruno W. Agra (Drums)

FEATURING

Hironobu Kageyama (Vocals on 12)

*this is the Japanese release, which I own

I paid $50 for this album - wait! WAIT! DON’T LEAVE! I have things to say!!

Even I'm surprised I have this coming in at 49. On one hand, I want it higher. It's one of the most beautiful albums in my collection. On the other, I have a lot of albums I love dearly, and this has a few moments that drag it down just enough to land it at 49. It's still one of my most favorite albums ever.

Shambala is a concept album. It seems to draw inspiration from Spanish conquistadors invading the Amazon, but adds a bit of fantasy to the mix. So the story goes: a man named John and his crew arrive on new shores, and as they make their way through the thick of the jungle, John sees strange creatures and a woman so beautiful he is compelled to follow her through the night into the forest, losing the trail and contact with his crew. He becomes one with a forest tribe and goes through a ritual in the river to cleanse his soul and be reborn with the fairy-woman he fell in love with, the river spirit Iara. After an unspecified period of time, the crew comes to attack the tribe; John, reborn and known as the “bird-man” has become a the tribe leader, determined to defend the village from the invading crew. When the battle is over, John finally makes peace and finally feels liberated from his past life.

Aquaria’s second album is a monumental statement. It leans into the sound of Brazilian folk music, equally balanced amongst the heavy metal and symphonic elements, expertly juggled as if by some musical musician within every track on the album. The guitars consistently maintain a chunky heaviness throughout the record, while the drums rumble thunderously with every hit and lend a lot of weight to the music. Layers of strings, pads, piano, horns, bells, woodwinds, and various percussion mingle and dance above the rhythm section, yet still give the lead vocals plenty of room to soar high above it all, assisted by a generous helping of choirs.

It's a corny album, and I love it for that. I'm drawn to albums that have a distinct flavor, you know – lots of elements that when put together form a very unique musical identity for a band, and this album does that. Vitor Veiga's voice is an acquired taste, with a thick accent and the helium-esque falsettos characteristic of numerous Brazilian metal singers. When paired with the adventurous, light, melodic nature of the songs, it's a match made in heaven. At times it seems almost cloying, like at the beginning of the ballad “Iara” or when paired with tinkling bells in “Liberty.” Most metalheads aren't looking for this kind of music, indeed it's hard to recommend this to a fan of 'real metal' at all. But it is power metal nonetheless, however on the fringes of whatever the music world deems 'metal' it may be.

That adventurous nature is really what this music is all about, and there's one of my most favorite musical moments ever on this album. The song “Expedition” contains an instrumental break halfway through that makes me choke up when I hear it. It starts with a simple pan flute melody, then the jungle drums come in. The electric guitar roars in and the melody gets a bit more tantalizing, teasing a big epic swell. Another roar and the groovy beat continues, but the guitar screams into a melodic solo befitting the soundtrack of a true expedition. And as it lingers on the final note, here comes that swell that was teased so perfectly, the rhythm guitars letting a power chord ring loud beneath a striking melody from the pan pipes, invoking the imagery of one standing on a hill overlooking a sun-drenched jungle canopy. It makes the hairs on my arm stand up, it's made me choke up on occasion. That's one of the most amazing feelings music can make someone feel, in my opinion.

It's a gorgeous album full of moments like those, and it demands attention. Every song is a journey, a story in itself, and each is strong enough to stand on its own while also linking together to form a greater story. The songwriting is intelligent, the chord progressions creating the necessary nigh-cinematic drama that is requisite of all truly epic power metal albums. Each instrument is a little ingredient added to this delectable stew, every short guitar lick and keyboard melody a new flavor you taste with every spoonful. There is some LOVELY melodic guitar phrasing that dances with the string and vocal melodies, even the bass gets a couple moments in the spotlight, and the drums are doing just about all they can to keep the metallic heaviness while adding in that jungle flair when necessary.

The song “Firewings” is a tribute to Conan the Barbarian, as its melodic motif comes straight from the “Theology Civilization” track of the film's score by Basil Pouledoris. The bonus track “Neo” has vocals from a singer known for his work on anime music, Hironobu Kageyama, and the lyrics are almost entirely in Japanese. It has no bearing on the Shambala concept, though.

In Summary: The term “Disney metal” gets thrown around a lot with this band and this style of music and I vehemently push back against that pejorative. There's absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying heavy metal that embraces other forms of composition and instrumentation. I always think of this album when I think of how to properly write a symphonic metal album that stands out because it does it so damn well. Unlike other bands that boast of orchestrations in their music, these aren't just a few layers of deep horn bellows and string section accents, and it's not a Nightwish copycat, or even a Rhapsody copycat. It stands completely on its own, and in my opinion it towers over almost the entire symphonic metal genre because the band is not afraid of embracing what they're all about. “Skies of Amazonia” is the album's climax and embodies this idea, starting with a full orchestral minute before transforming itself into the one of the most heavy metal songs of the album, while bouncing between an operatic chorus and verses narrating the cruelty of the invaders and the primal defiance of the tribesmen.

There is an unbridled happiness to Aquaria's music, even when it's setting a somber mood, that I have not heard any other metal band come close to matching. The composition skills of Alberto Kury are almost unparalleled in the world of power metal, in my opinion. I recommend this group to every single power metal fan I come across who can tolerate keyboards, and even then I offer up a warning for potential audibly transmitted diabetes to any virgin ears. But it's a pleasant sickness, one that makes you feel warm and hopeful instead of blurring your eyesight. Don't knock it til you try it.

Katt's Favorites: Expedition, Into the Forest, Child of the Universe, Skies of Amazonia
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2019, 07:25:21 AM »
Well, I have heard of them...
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2019, 08:29:51 AM »
The origins of Firewings!  :)
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2019, 08:36:11 AM »
(self-titled)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2019, 09:07:45 AM »
I do urge people to read the summary at the end of the writeups, at least; I refuse to shorten them down otherwise  :) And maybe give a song or two a listen if you're feeling adventurous. I would love for everyone to hear that instrumental middle section in "Expedition" that I wrote about so lovingly.

And yeah, this is the album I got the Firewings moniker from. Love everything about that song. Beautiful music.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline TheCountOfMinnesota

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2019, 09:16:34 AM »
   That adventurous nature is really what this music is all about, and there's one of my most favorite musical moments ever on this album. The song “Expedition” contains an instrumental break halfway through that makes me choke up when I hear it. It starts with a simple pan flute melody, then the jungle drums come in. The electric guitar roars in and the melody gets a bit more tantalizing, teasing a big epic swell. Another roar and the groovy beat continues, but the guitar screams into a melodic solo befitting the soundtrack of a true expedition. And as it lingers on the final note, here comes that swell that was teased so perfectly, the rhythm guitars letting a power chord ring loud beneath a striking melody from the pan pipes, invoking the imagery of one standing on a hill overlooking a sun-drenched jungle canopy. It makes the hairs on my arm stand up, it's made me choke up on occasion. That's one of the most amazing feelings music can make someone feel, in my opinion.

Excellent write-up!  That passage alone makes me want to check this album out.
PBR me ASAP

Offline Lethean

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2019, 09:41:52 AM »
Why isn't Firewings listed as a favorite? :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2019, 09:51:00 AM »
Why isn't Firewings listed as a favorite? :)

While I do love Firewings - every song on Shambala actually - the four I picked are more representative of that sweeping, epic atmosphere the album does such a good job of creating. Also because Firewings will put you into a sugar coma if you're unprepared. :) But the strings and vocals reminiscent of Andre Matos just make that song soooo good.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2019, 10:28:48 AM »
Never heard of. Listening to now. Like it 3 songs in. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2019, 10:32:33 AM »
So the story goes: a man named John and his crew arrive on new shores

So Flaming Row - Mirage: A Portrayal of Figures then.

and as they make their way through the thick of the jungle, John sees strange creatures and a woman so beautiful he is compelled to follow her through the night into the forest, losing the trail and contact with his crew. He becomes one with a forest tribe and goes through a ritual in the river to cleanse his soul and be reborn with the fairy-woman he fell in love with, the river spirit Iara. After an unspecified period of time, the crew comes to attack the tribe; John, reborn and known as the “bird-man” has become a the tribe leader, determined to defend the village from the invading crew. When the battle is over, John finally makes peace and finally feels liberated from his past life.

Okay, maybe not Flaming Row. :lol

I don't know this one and I'll admit, I'm not a in a hurry to check out any new stuff as my plate is pretty full with the roulette albums and right now I'm in full Demons and Wizards mode learning all the songs for the upcoming Monday gig. I may check out the recommended songs tomorrow, although if it's like that one song I've got from you in my roulette, I doubt it'll do it for me. But hey, I know you love Aquaria, so it's all good.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2019, 10:36:40 AM »
I do not expect very many people here to enjoy too many of the albums on my list, especially the symphonic metal ones, so even if people hate it, just sampling a song makes me happy.  :)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2019, 10:37:38 AM »
Yeah, I may click on a few links you included in your post tomorrow while at work.

Now tell me the important thing, is the name John used in the lyrics at all? Does it sound as silly and immersion-breaking as it does on the Flaming Row album?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2019, 10:38:08 AM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2019, 10:40:39 AM »
Nobody's named in the songs at all other than the lady Iara (the characters' names are otherwise only noted on the lyrics sheet). In fact I didn't really know what the story was until I bought the album. The lyrics came printed on a stylized mini-poster made to look like old parchment, which made me laugh when I saw there was a character named "Bird-Man John."  :lol There's also a monster named Gurupira (on the song "Lost"), the Captain of the crew, and the old Tribe Leader. The song "Skies of Amazonia" gives lyrics from the view of the Captain and Crew, the tribesmen, and John, which is pretty neat.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2019, 10:43:08 AM »
Well shit, I expected to laugh at something like this :lol

I'll try to check the songs out at least!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2019, 11:00:30 AM »
JOHN

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2019, 11:04:40 AM »
I do not expect very many people here to enjoy too many of the albums on my list, especially the symphonic metal ones, so even if people hate it, just sampling a song makes me happy.  :)

I listened to 2 and a half songs. I'll wait for less symphonic power metal albums  :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2019, 11:06:50 AM »
Are they really Spanish explorers in this story?  Or is it Portuguese explorers?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2019, 11:14:38 AM »
Yeah, Nekov, I don't think this is your cup of tea at all.  :lol

Are they really Spanish explorers in this story?  Or is it Portuguese explorers?

The booklet never specifies, but the first main song "Heart of the Gods" talks about how they've 'sailed the seven seas' so I imagine they're from a far off land, and I get hints of conquistadors from that since the album ostensibly takes place in a fictional version of the Amazon, but it doesn't specify nationalities, just 'team invader' and 'team indigenous' :P

Offline Lethean

« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2019, 11:22:10 AM »
I'm gonna go with Portuguese explorers then.  They're from Brazil and most of the Amazon is there.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2019, 11:28:30 AM »
That's a good take, I agree. :)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2019, 11:43:07 AM »
Spinning the album right now (on Lost right now). Enjoying it. May give it a second listen sometime to see if it sticks. Some really nice melodies in there.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline 425

« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2019, 04:59:18 PM »
I just listened to it myself, and definitely enjoyed it! Some of the songs in the middle were especially strong, I thought. After also liking the song from this band you sent me in my roulette, I think I'll have to give them some more substantial attention.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2019, 07:30:08 PM »
Wow. That makes me really happy because this is one of my absolute favorite bands but it's so hard to recommend, which is why I've sent them in roulettes. I didn't expect anyone to like it. Thanks, ya'll.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2019, 07:31:17 PM »
I listened to the first half, and it's plenty good. I'll go back to it, but didn't have the time today to finish it. Some nice guitar solos.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2019, 01:24:05 AM »
Michael, don't take offense at my feedack mate.  Didn't mean to strike a nerve.  Of course I will still follow. 

The Aquaria song I think you sent in my roulette was cheesy as fuck but very enjoyable.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2019, 08:01:58 AM »
Nah it's all good. Did I send them to you? I really have sent them to everyone apparently.  :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2019, 10:44:09 AM »
We want more cheese!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2019, 10:58:40 AM »
Katt's top 50 fondues

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2019, 11:23:33 AM »
There's a lot of cheese coming, trust me.

For these bottom 10, I've got all the writeups made (and I'm inching my way through the rest daily) - but I've had to let them duke it out. I've had to write multiple writeups for each slot and then read both (or more) of them, duke it out in my mind, and pick which one deserves to be finalized. So the list is constantly in flux down to the moment I start formatting the post, and I've already made a couple small changes. I've noticed everything in the top half is consistent and doesn't change though. This is really fun. Some of them have been off the list, then back on, off again, and back on. Picking just 50 is so hard and all these albums are on the same level to me...

I'll have #48 up tomorrow. Gonna space these out a bit.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2019, 11:33:08 AM »
The key is to always have a few more writeups done in advance, like five of them ahead of the one you post. This way you'll never run out of writeups unless you decide to procrastinate which you shouldn't do. :P In fact, I was so afraid to fail upholding the pace of my original 2014 list, that I pre-wrote everything in advance and just logged in on DTF to post the next writeup each day.

If you're just writing stuff from scratch for each post whenever you feel like it, you're either great with self-discipline or you'll get to #45 before abandoning your list.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2019, 11:35:28 AM »
I actually have some preliminary thoughts written down on all of them; I had half a dozen done before creating the thread. But generally, my final process is to hear the album again (even though I know all these by heart anyway), then do the final writeup while listening to it one or two additional times, then come back to the writeup the next day and edit it. When it comes to talking about my favorite music I don't need much of a push to do it :)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2019, 11:40:04 AM »
That's a fair way to go at it. I mostly did the same for my first list, except I wrote it in Word with that attitude (have a tea after work, do a final listen, add some thoughts), and then when it was all completely ready to cut and paste, created a thread on DTF.

For my second one, I had like 30 or 35 writeups done and I started it, figuring I won't have any problems finishing the rest of the list. Guess what, juggling between that, D&D campaign and work, I've barely finished it in time I set for myself.

Obviously it's different strokes for different folks, and you're doing fine by now, so I'll just stay around to see what cheesy madness ensues with your next updates.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2019, 11:42:48 AM »
Yeah if/when I do my top 50 I'm probably gonna queue up 20 writeups before I even start the thread tbh

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2019, 01:43:52 PM »
It definitely makes sense to have a few already done in advance, because who the hell knows what 'real' life might throw at any of us in a couple of weeks or a month's time.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion